Photo

Being Proactive About Life Extension

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 11:28 PM

BJKlein wrote (in Transhumanism in Tusla )

As a proactive person, I find myself asking what should I do.. what can I do to help others understand the opportunities of Transhumanism and Immortality? But on the other hand....should I really be worried about how many people "get it" if it's all going to happen anyway (Singularity)?

I've yet to have a strong feeling to just go out and do an interview, make a speech or hand out fliers.. as Avatar Polymoroh, Michael Anissimov and others are doing... maybe this is what I need to do... but that would be a daunting task here in Alabama where there is next to zero interest.

The closest physical entity with similar interest is, of course my wife and Eliezer's group in Atlanta. So, probably the most positive thing I can do to help is provide an on line space for us to meet.

An online meeting space is an immensely valuable thing to have.

However, I would think that discussion and activity are not mutually exclusive.

Being proactive is certainly more difficult than being discursive. Witty comments in a forum are easier to make than witty comments in a press release.

I suspect that Mr. Klein sees this very clearly and is rather more active than he lets on to. But everybody can be helped.

Sometimes making an interview, making a speech and even handing out fliers can make a lot of difference. Sometimes lobbying is less prolific but effective. But it need not always be preaching to the public. Once a sizable community has been established, it can support itself.

I for one share BJKleins sentiment that something should be done. And I would certainly offer a helping hand, even if it is just about signing a petition.

[?] What do you think [?]
Do you have an initiative planned? What would be the most effective way to go about it? Or are you maybe just interested in discussing the implications of proposed changes rather than actually bringing them about? (which would be fair enough- just curious)

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 03:36 PM

Caliban,
In hopes of reviving this topic, I wanted to flesh out a couple of ideas...

1. Flyer
As you have suggested, this is a relatively easy project to undertake... if one has a printer, you can become an effective meme machine, just post a flyer to any available bulletin board at school or work.... Or if your feeling energetic, physically hand out fliers at important gatherings where the potential of connecting with open minded people out weights the loss of paper product and forest habitat. It might help if we actually had a flyer to hand out though....Luckily, this project is currently underway...

incidently, we've created the Immortality Instutute Underground ( http://www.imminst.org/under ), an invite only forum from which projects like the flyer and other ideas are currently being worked on.

2. Quotes Page
Contacting potentially interested parties for their reaction to the Immortality Institute... this will include prominent scientist and writers among others... we've started a list of contacts. Now I need to get on the ball and actually contact them. The goal is to compile a quotes sheet with these individuals saying something hopefully positive about the institute.

3. Writers Competition
Just in general... I'd like to see us compile more articles on the general concept of living forever.. the pros and cons... The Writers competition is a good incentive to spur interest toward this goal.

Basically, we do have some clear goals and current projects underway... now we just need a few more interested and talented individuals to help with the actual work. I alone will not be able to complete every good idea that comes to my feeble little head.. but with the help of others we can pool our collective wisdom and surely make a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users