• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Sleep medications/antidepressants with anti aging and weight loss effects?

sleep medication antidepressant weight loss

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Gediminas Jesinas

• 57 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:15 PM

Sleep medications/antidepressants with anti aging and weight loss effects?

There are people who have insomnia problems not just due to poor sleep hygiene but also due to mental illness such as depression or schizophrenia, as well other health problems. I‘m long term user of sleep medications because I wasn‘t able to sleep normaly from childhood due to PTSD from abuse or TBI, I can‘t figure out why I have chronic insomnia. Doctor prescribed me various popular sleep medications such as mirtazapine and quetiapine which have nasty effect of increasing weight gain, trygleciride and prolactin levels. People with mental illness/taking such drugs do tend to live shorter but it‘s not clear if it‘s not related for example to unhealthy habits such as smoking or toxic diet and so on. I‘m 30 old male exercising a lot (altough job requires to sit a lot), taking high veg diet and anti aging supplements but can‘t get youthful looking lean belly.

There was papper drug called mianserin which was shown to extend lifespan at least in Caenorhabditis elegans worms. Same effect has structurally related antidepressant mirtazapine: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4693466/

It doesn‘t seem to increase triglyceride levels but it does cause weight gain. All these antidepressant/antipsychotic drugs do cause more or less weight gain, quetiapine for example increases itmoderatelly. Although there are exceptions such as buprapion which can reduce weight. Of course it‘s probably also dosage dependant, I had once to take even 750mg of quetiapine to fall asleep and now 150mg is enough, when I was using mirtazapine it was 30mg.  I guess any sleep medication that could keep weight in check could slow aging because obesity is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users