A reliable antibody test for under $30?

coronavirus antibody test

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:36 AM

Can someone recommend a reliable antibody test? I think I had covid back in Oct but did not get tested until after it was over.

I think I got it on Oct 8-9, first symptoms on Oct 12, Self-administered free PCR test at CVS pharmacy on Oct 21 turned out negative.

Back then I was 90% sure it was covid. But in Dec, when ivermectin news broke out, I became 99% certain it was covid (coz IVM was phenomenally helpful). Now I'd like to know for sure but  antibody tests I found online are in $120-150 range (I have no health insurance). I remember back in spring someone here was peddling a $20 antibody test, but how reliable was it?

So if someone knows of an affordable antibody test please let me know.

Or maybe you heard of a study where they administer such a test for free? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance and stay healthy! 

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

They're now testing for antibodies at my blood bank every time I donate.  They are looking for potential plasma donors.  I got two negatives last year, & just deposited another pint on Wednesday.  Test results pending.  I access the results online through my donor portal.  The best things in life are free!  

• like x 1

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:08 PM

P.S.  If you've never donated blood before, the key to a good experience is to go in the afternoon, a couple of hours after lunch and well hydrated.  Don't watch the needle insertion.  

Avoid donating in the morning, when you're dehydrated and/or hungry.  Don't go in directly after a big meal either.  Digestion diverts a large amount of blood to the stomach for an hour or so after a meal.  Remember when you were a kid, & mom made you wait an hour after lunch before you could go back in the pool?  Same thing with blood donation.  

The needle they use is a BIG one (about the size of a pencil lead).  It has to be, or it would take forever to drain off a pint.  Getting the jab really doesn't hurt much more than the smaller needles used for lab draws, but it can be impressive to watch as the nurse harpoons you with her spike.  Getting woozy or fainting is the most common problem with first time donors, and this almost always happens when patients watch the jab.  

It's funny, I worked as a surgical technologist for 35 years, & had a lot of medical and nursing students pass through my OR.  We learned early on, if they were going to "go down", it was when they saw a skin incision.  Some nurses wouldn't even let the students in until the initial incision was done, and they would always do fine.  

You must complete the donation in order for testing of your blood to be done.  If they don't get a full pint, your donation is useless to them so they don't test. Good hydration is the key to feeling fine and making it to the end of a full pint donation.  If you're at all dehydrated, your blood pressure will start to sag towards the end of the drain.  Drink till you're peeing clear in the hours before you donate.  Then drink more in the recovery area before you leave.   

Don't know if your up for this?  Look to Granny Bea for inspiration.  

https://www.cbc.ca/n...at-95-1.4624704

Canada's oldest blood donor, 'Granny Bea,' still giving at 95

"Beatrice Janyk has been donating blood since the 1940s"

If Granny Bea can do it, so can you!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 08 January 2021 - 04:45 PM.

• Informative x 2

#4 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:12 PM

Thank you, Dorian, but the blood donation route is closed to me, coz I had had hep C, even though it was many years ago. Those antibodies last for life.

Also, it was read cross who diagnozed me. I had health insurance back then and the doc assured me, after months of various tests and searching, that according to my bloodwork I was a picture of perfect health and that all my complaints were entirely in my head. I believed him and went for a donation when blood drive was announced at work. A month later got a letter from Red Cross informing me that I'm banned from donating ever again.  They still have all my records, including the address from 1990s I myself long forgot. 

so I  have to buy a test.

#5 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:37 AM

I still think it was covid. See if you agree.

I was exposed late oct 8 - wee hours of oct 9, during a long interstate drive. Had not been out or saw anyone days before nor days after, until the symptoms onset.

On oct 12 I woke up ravenously hungry. I usually eat once a day, in the evening, and have no appetite whatsoever til late afternoon at the earliest. My experience taught me to associate such ravenous food cravings  with onset of a viral infection (I guess the revved up immune sys demands energy).  Also, I was feverish and even broke out a sweat -- in the middle of the day! -- totally unheard of for me.

Pandemic going on, I naturally assumed it could be covid. I knew the meds were most effective in the very beginning, so I immediately took HCQ with zinc, 500 mg azithromycin and double dose of vit D. About 3 hrs later I remembered about ivermectin andI took a generous dose (eyeballed ~1.5-2 cm of horse paste).

At the time I was fixated on HCQ and only vaguely remembered IVM studies, in one of which they administered IVM twice, on day 1 and day 7. So I thought I would take IVM again in a week. But in about an hour after taking IVM I noticed that I felt much better and associated this improvement with it -- even though, logically speaking, it could be HCQ and AZM kicking in. That was Day 1.

Day 2 and 3 I kept taking HQC 200 mg twice a day, AZM 250 mg once a day, zinc and vit D.

On Day 3, late morning, I began having an unpleasant sensation deep in the lungs, as if something was brewing there. That's a familiar to everyone sensation when you have a cold. It starts in the throat, then goes down, brews there for a couple of days and then you start coughing -- except that in this case it bypassed the throat entirely and went straight to the lungs. Before that I only had mild sniffles and an occasional sneeze.

That unpleasant feeling deep in the lungs got me worried and, as it kept getting worse, I thought about IVM again. In fact, my intuition kept insisting that I should take it now and not wait till day 7 as I had originally planned. And so after some deliberation I took IVM and -- only in ~an hour (!) noticed that the unpleasant heaviness in the lungs was gone. This surprised me, a lot.

Day 4, in the afternoon, I felt so well that I began to doubt it was covid and decided to stop the meds (after the early morning dose of HCQ with zinc).

Day 5, in the evening, the symptoms returned with a vengeance and I returned to HCQ with zinc, and again, as an afterthought, I took IVM. Again, only about an hour after IVM I felt almost normal. 

Day 6, once again, feeling quite well in all respects, my doubts returned and I skipped the meds entirely.

Day 7, late in the afternoon, it suddenly hit me. The onset was so sudden and dramatic that I thought, it must be covid -- and the timing! -- just as they were saying. I returned to HCQ bid, zinc once a day, no more AZM and I took IVM only when I felt that heaviness deep in the lungs. Invariably, it knocked it out in about an hour. It turned out that during week 2 I was taking IVM daily.  

A very dark mood descended. It kept me paralyzed. I could not do anything constructive and, hard as I tried, could not convinced myself to get out of bed and go for a free PCR test at a local CVS.  All I could do was to obsessively click on cards doing Montana solitaire, for hours on end.

This lasted for about 3-4 days. At some point, I remember, I was acutely aware of my state. I checked and there was not pain, no fever, I had plenty of energy if I wanted to get out of bed and do whatever - except that the impulse to do anything was entirely lacking. There was no sadness or exasperation in my dark mood. Emotionally, I was completely flat. There was only mild mental irritation, sorta what's a point and why bother. And yes, then I recalled reading, years ago, that high interferon levels were in antagonistic relationship with serotonin and dopamine. This sorta  explaned it for me and I concluded that the  dark mood I was in was a sign that my immune sys was hard at work and that t will be over soon. 

And that's how it was! in another day or two the darkness lifted, I got out of bed and finally made it to the local CVS. The PCR test, as expected, was negative by then.

Edited by xEva, 09 January 2021 - 12:41 AM.

• Well Written x 1

#6 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:22 AM

I've heard COVID patients describe "rallies" followed by "cratering", & thinking they were in the clear only to have symptoms return with a vengeance.  

You didn't mention loss of taste or smell.  Don't know if everybody with symptomatic disease gets this, but I've read this is the most reliable indicator a mystery disease was likely COVID.  

Sorry you're not eligible to donate.  I recall in San Diego, the county health department used to offer free HIV & other labs.  Couldn't hurt to ask around at county health; you might get lucky.  

Glad your little flame still flickers.  

• like x 1

#7 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:43 AM

Mother google has been following my keystrokes...  This ad just popped up on another site I was visiting. 

https://covidinstanttest.net/

$97.  Better than what you had found, but still tough to drop a C-note.  

#8 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:08 PM

thank you, Dorian!

I have just found something even better! $52 at LabCorp.

Re loss of smell or taste, I don't think so. I even coughed exactly once, on day 8. That was the "darkest" day mood-wise, supposedly the day of highest interferon production. In another day it was over. 

And I just checked I had the PCR test on the 22nd of Oct, not 21 as I posted above. Once that darkness descended, I sorta lost the track of time. Not that it matters much. Only to show that the whole thing lasted 13-14 days, from the day of exposure. I was symptomatic and taking meds for 9 days,

I attribute my fairly easy course entirely to IVM. The scariest symptom was that heavy brewing deep in the lungs. I was very much afraid to allow it to fester, remembering reading last spring how quickly some people deteriorated. By sheer luck, in the very beginning I discovered how effective IMV was  (for me at least, maybe not so for other people -?) and I took it each time I noticed that sensation in the lungs, And to my utter amazement, invariably it would completely dissappear in about an hour (I did not actually time it, so it seemed). 

I don't know what role HCQ played. Looking back, I'd take it only once a day, with zinc and I would skip AZM (I took it only for 3-4 first days, 500 mg day 1 and then 250 mg). 

So when it was over and I was tidying up the place, I came across the remnants of the horse paste and animal fear gripped me at a thought that now people will find out how effective IVM is and I won't be able to get it. I rushed to the comp and did not exhale until I ordered a whole bunch, enough for me and my friends.

Speaking of friends, some were very skeptical and their skepticism rubbed off on me. I too began doubt it was covid. But then what was it? I've never had anything similar before. But then in Dec that congressional hearing about IVM came out and it reaffirmed my belief it was covid.

Edited by xEva, 09 January 2021 - 11:37 PM.

#9 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:39 PM

Mother google has been following my keystrokes... This ad just popped up on another site I was visiting.

https://covidinstanttest.net/

$97. Better than what you had found, but still tough to drop a C-note.

Thanks for that! I am a company owner and I am offering to pay for anyone in my company to get tested who wants to.
I wouldn't expect that one would consider needing a vaccine if they have antibodies already,
  • like x 1

#10 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for that! I am a company owner and I am offering to pay for anyone in my company to get tested who wants to.
I wouldn't expect that one would consider needing a vaccine if they have antibodies already,

The vaccine-induced antibodies are much more than natural immunity-induced ones. Are they overkill or the natural ones are sufficient enough after a period of time following the recovery is anyone's guess. To be clear, I am not pro-vaccine as untested as the current ones.

• Good Point x 1

#11 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2021 - 04:29 AM

If you want an antibody test (shows whether you had Covid in the past or have been successfully vaccinated) just go to a Kroger pharmacy - (different names in different parts of the country - Ralphs in SoCal).  Rapid antibody test  is $25, finger prick of blood, wait 15 minutes; not covered by insurance.  This is  Assure Tech"Ecotest" available elsewhere at greater cost.   Sold online supposedly only to licensed healthcare providers - although if you look hard you can find PPE or "covid test" vendors who forget to enforce this requirement. 

Kroger and I'm sure other pharmacies - & public health departments - can provide rapid antigen tests covered by insurance and free.  That tells you whether you are infected now (before or after symptoms).  

• Informative x 1

#12 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:09 AM

Rapid antibody test  is $25, finger prick of blood, wait 15 minutes; not covered by insurance.

I could be wrong, but think a rapid antibody test is misleading by its designation. We had here free rapid antibody tests made available to the whole population (only 30% participated at first occation). I asked during mine what this 'rapid antibody' test would really test. Since I suspect having had mild covid in February, and therefore thought it could pick up antibodies from that possible previous occurance.

The answer I've got was: No, this rapid antibody test can't detect antibodies, but contains purified antibodies, which reacting with the virus in one's tested blood, would shows either positive or negative. Nothing to do with antibodies in your blood.

Edited by pamojja, 07 February 2021 - 07:12 AM.

• unsure x 1

#13 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

Just trying to help.  I don’t know how the rapid antibody and rapid antigen tests work, but I am sure that the “Rapid Antibody Test” measures past infection and the “Rapid Antigen Test” measures current infection.  https://www.kroger.c...TestingServices

I've taken Rapid Antibody Test twice and it involves a drop of blood. 

Edited by bladedmind, 07 February 2021 - 07:45 PM.

• like x 1

#14 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:18 PM

Seems this one indeed meassures antibodies. And only the naming got mixed up in translation. Or the personel simply didn't knew the distinction.

If you don't mind me asking, did it show antibodies in your case? ie. past infection?

Edited by pamojja, 07 February 2021 - 08:21 PM.

#15 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

No past infection. 

#16 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:49 PM

Antibody test has been made available localy very reasonably priced. € 20,- including blood-draw for +/- antibody results. € 34,- for detecting levels of antibodies. Just got the cheaper one done, and expect results on Wednesday.

I've taken Rapid Antibody Test twice and it involves a drop of blood.

In my case a whole tube of blood was drawn.

Edited by pamojja, 15 March 2021 - 02:53 PM.

#17 EliotH

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:15 PM

I just saw a sign at a Harris-Teeter grocery store in North Carolina advertising Covid-19 antibody test for $25.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus, antibody test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users