- - - - -

Pirlindole (Reversible MAO-A inhibitor)

depression

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:23 AM

Does anyone have any experience with this in regard to treating depression?  If not this particular medicine, how about reversible MAOi's in general like moclobemide?  Tianeptine is starting to poop out on me so I want to try something different.

I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger to buy a supply.  What was your dose?  Did you start small and work your way up?  How long before it started working?  How long until full effects?  Effectiveness?  Sides, especially relative to other AD classes you've tried?  Anything else you want to add?  I'm well aware YMMV, but I always find there's something to be gained by hearing the experiences of those in the trenches.

Has anyone heard of any benefit to adhd?  I'm taking a couple things specific for adhd so this isn't the main reason I'm trying it but theoretically I think that with more Ne floating around it might could help.  Not sure if it actually works that way in practice.  

#2 SundanceResearch

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

I was on moclobemide some years ago, up to max recommended dosage of 600mg/d, had high hopes for it because MAOIs are usually labelled as the gold standard in antidepressants but it was a complete disappointment. The only noticeable effect was brain fog, I felt stupid. MAO inhibition was working as I challenged it with a micro dose of d-amphetamine which increased my blood pressure notably. Guess the problem is that serotonin by itself isn't even that mood lifting but things work downstream through some cascades involving oxytocin and various other transmitters I don't fully understand anything, the more I learn the more I realize that I and maybe even we all barely know a thing. Woulda help if doctors could accept that.

But others get great relief from moclobemide.

What really worked for me was the research chemical 4,4'-dimethylaminorex, which is a serotonin-dopamine-releaser and slight MAOI - the latter property protected to some degree against 5-HT depletion and it worked again and again over some days without hangover and after like 10 days 75mg venlafaxine was enough to take all remaining symptoms. So I dunno what's the deal with moclobemide, if it is because it's reversible or maybe has low affinity and can get displaced by serotonin. 

I'm somewhat interested in harm(al)ine alkaloids, these are reversible MAOIs too and e.g. tobacco contains them. Interestingly no smoker ever got serotonin syndrome, during some time I also used snorting tobacco (snuff) which is more intense and less carcinogen than regular cigs, the effect is remarkably different from pure nicotine as in vaping devices or nicorette gums, which I attribute to the MAOI chemicals. One thing I wanna do is making a liquid with low nicotine + harmaline, maybe recreating a more similar experience because nicotine alone was so useless to me that I quit, relativelt painlessly so, just when I smell smoke or see somebody lighting one, from time to time I get the cravings but remembering then what nasty carcinogens I'd inhale with the smoke helps getting over the urges.

There's a slight possibility that I should have dosed higher with the moclobemide, today I'd just try it but back then I was more obeying to authorities, lol. No, it's of course good human sense not to blindly overdose drugs. But metabolism differs heavily between individuals and so does tolerance. Said 4,4'-dimethylaminorex could easily have killed me, when it came out first it wasn't known that it hits MAO and people who thought it was bunk because of like 2-3h come up time, took another pill and some of them died horribly. So my venlafaxine while still remainders in my system.. ugh. And today my tolerance to serotonin is even higher as I've been on venlafaxine for the last like 6 years and now switched to fluoxetine in the hope of withdrawing it but just 2 days without and I get intense dysphoric restless brain-zaps.. 

Also the moclobemide didn't have any withdrawal symptoms, afair I took it for at least one month. It doesn't take away the symptoms from SSRI w/d either, which is a bit strange as SERT appears to be limited in respect of tolerance, it's more receptor downregulation happening (and there seemingly most important 5ht1a) and thus a MAOI should help...

Unfortunately I don't see benefits to ADHD, there you'd need something like parnate probably, which also hits dopamine and/or norepinephrine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users