New Study on Old Blood EVs & Klotho Coding to Muscle Stem Cell

klotho young old blood stem vesicles muscle aging progenitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fauxstradamus

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:56 PM

I don't see that this has already been reported here . . .  I just read an article on the Phys.org site about a new University of Pittsburgh study in which the researchers reported/found that "[extracellular vesicles] deliver genetic instructions, or mRNA, encoding the anti-aging protein Klotho to muscle progenitor cells, a type of stem cell that is important for regeneration of skeletal muscle . . . " and that "EVs collected from old mice carried fewer copies of the instructions for Klotho than those from young mice, prompting muscle progenitor cells to produce less of this protein."  

As reported in Phys.org, the study was published in Nature Aging and purportedly shows for the first time that age-related reductions in Klotho-coding EVs contribute to reduced regenerative capacity in muscle progenitor cells in older mice and, presumably (I don't know if they actually said this, and I did not read the study itself) humans.

I know there has been a great deal of speculation on these pages and elsewhere about both the subject of what in "young blood" gives it regenerative powers in the parabiosis studies by the Conboys and others, etc., and also what Yuvan Research's E5 is based on.  Does this report/study get any of you thinking that E5 is based on boosting klotho signaling to stem cells and/or other aspects of klotho production or maybe EV-based signaling to other types of progenitor cells?  Some of you may have already speculated or posited that klotho is involved in the regenerative power/capacity differences of old blood and young blood.

Any thoughts?   Does this study move the needle at all in increasing our understanding of the young blood/old blood phenomenon in the parabiosis studies?

If mRNA signaling to stem cells via extracellular vesicles (involving klotho or other proteins) turns out to be at the heart of the findings from the parabiosis studies (and I don't know that this can be determined at this point), would that in your view be something that Harold Katcher would have discovered on his way to the development of E5 and somehow incorporated into the product?

Edited by fauxstradamus, 06 December 2021 - 09:10 PM.

• like x 1

#2 Rays

• 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:55 PM

I found it interesting that the grip strength of mice on E5 got higher each time they got a dose of E5, while the grip strength of control mice decreased with age.

So, E5 makes the mice stronger. Older E5 mice are stronger than young control mice. 2.5 times stronger! Is that not a bit too much to believe?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users