- - - - -

HIIT vs Aerobic vs Strength Training vs Walking

hiit strength walking aerobic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cloomis

• 41 posts

Posted 05 November 2022 - 01:17 AM

I've done a comparison of the major exercise categories (HIIT, Aerobic, Strength Training, and walking) to see how much life extension each can provide, and then quantify the return on time invested for each.

Highlights:

• Both HIIT (including aerobic exercise) and walking can provide an additional 10 years of life if started from about 40 years old
  • Strength Training provides an additional 2 years
  • For pay-off on time invested, nothing comes close to doing HIIT, with over a hundred times extended life for the time put in. Doing HIIT once a week for 20 minutes each week give two days of average lifespan.

More details on my blog: https://cloomis.com/...-for-long-life/

• Informative x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 06:53 PM

Great information. Thanks. HIIT has a lot of good research behind it.

• Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:13 PM

More research to back-up the benefits of infrequent HIIT exercise to maximize longevity.

This is a great paper about the dose response curve of most types of exercise. There is a sweet spot, and it is not as much vigorous exercise as people think. Triathletes and marathoners have much higher risk of arterial fibrillation as they age.

The key take away is that there is little dose-response to moderate exercise. Basically, if you do a few active things everyday (walking, gardening, house chores, light work-out), you are hitting the sweet spot for longevity.

Edited by Mind, 26 December 2023 - 06:35 PM.

#4 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 06:37 PM

Sorry about that. I can't find the original research paper that was a broad look at all types of exercise. Here is a paper from a few years ago about the U-shaped curve of vigorous endurance exercise.

#5 Cloomis

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 12:06 PM

It's a good point. I'm currently training for a marathon, and my recent bloodwork shows my liver enzymes are well out of range -- unusual for me. Definitely overtraining, and I'll tone it down after the race.

• Good Point x 1

#6 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:04 PM

Has HIT been around long enough to talk about life expectancy effects?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Cloomis

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 08:31 AM

Yes. The Finnish Generation 100 study did a randomized controlled test of HIIT, and while the study was not quite powerful enough to reach statistical significance, doing HIIT reduced premature death by 50%!

https://www.bmj.com/...t/371/bmj.m3485

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hiit, strength, walking, aerobic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users