Photo
- - - - -

$3.5 Million to Mprize from an entrepreneur

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Eternal Life

• 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

wow this sounds very unrealistic, but i hope this can be true; it is a damn good news

#32 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

wow this sounds very unrealistic, but i hope this can be true; it is a damn good news

What do you hope is true but sounds unrealistic?

If you mean the $3.5 million from Peter A. Thiel, that money was given and confirmed almost a year ago now.

#33 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

I thought Aubrey explained at Transvision that the 3.5 million will only be given as a matching grant, if the same amount has been raised by Mprize within a certain amount of years? That sounds like a lot of pressure, and it be quite hard on the Methuselah Foundation if the 3.5 million falls through. I'd give more if I could...

Edited by wing_girl, 13 August 2007 - 05:46 PM.

#34 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

I though Aubrey explained at Transvision that the 3.5 million will only be given as a matching grant, if the same amount has been raised by Mprize within a certain amount of years?  That sounds like a lot of pressure, and it be quite hard on the Methuselah Foundation if the 3.5 million falls through.  I'd give more if I could...

Yep:

Mr. Thiel will donate a total of $500,000 over the next three years to fund pilot research projects intended to deliver early stage validation of the “SENS” approach to combating the debilitation caused by aging.

Additionally, from now until the end of 2009, Mr. Thiel promises to match every Dollar donated to the Methuselah Foundation for SENS research with a 50 cent matching contribution from himself, up to a maximum of $3 Million of matching funds.

Hopefully, SENS can get a good portion of that matched. I am doing what i can as well.

#35 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:49 PM

Aubrey has been out talking with people from around the world, so I hope some big donors are brought in. My next book is about a kid that starts a transhumanist kids club and raises a lot of money for ending aging :p but helping in that way--by inspiring kids, takes a lot longer than the short deadline Methuselah is under right now...

#36 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Aubrey has been out talking with people from around the world, so I hope some big donors are brought in.  My next book is about a kid that starts a transhumanist kids club and raises a lot of money for ending aging :p  but helping in that way--by inspiring kids, takes a lot longer than the short deadline Methuselah is under right now...

True. Hopefully Aubrey can inspire some more large donors to get involved with what he is doing. The product (drastically longer life) is something that doesn't take much of a sales pitch I wouldn't think. (kind of sells itself, but I suppose I am a bit biased, haha :p))

#37 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:12 AM

I thought Aubrey explained at Transvision that the 3.5 million will only be given as a matching grant, if the same amount has been raised by Mprize within a certain amount of years?  That sounds like a lot of pressure, and it be quite hard on the Methuselah Foundation if the 3.5 million falls through.  I'd give more if I could...

I thought it was a match *up to* 3.5 million, not an all-or-nothing make 3.5 million and we will give another 3.5 million. I like the new SENS website, looks good.

#38 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

I like the new SENS website, looks good.

Look at all the languages they have across the top there: http://sens.org/

24 in addition to English, if I am counting correctly. They must have had a lot of people doing translation. We need something like that for the ImmInst home page and some of the general information we have for people that speak other languages.

#39 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:12 AM

like Mind said, we're supporting both of those guys indirectly by using paypal lol. i better support them a bit more by signing up with PayPal too. i don't even have a paypal account. i just pay things through credit card , check, cash.

thanks to Peter Thiel for donating up to 3.5 million of his own fortune. we need more wealthy folks to support our cause (though I got from the artical that stopping aging is a controversial cause to mainstream ppl? de grey , "a controversial scientist" on a controversial cause) How about appealing to more people like thiel? bill gates anyone?

#40 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

I think it crazy that the mprize is only $3.5 million yet if you build a car, yes a car, that goes for longer than 100 miles on a single gallon you will receive $10 million dollars.

http://www.wired.com...16-01/ff_100mpg

#41 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

I think it crazy that the mprize is only $3.5 million yet if you build a car, yes a car, that goes for longer than 100 miles on a single gallon you will receive $10 million dollars.

http://www.wired.com...16-01/ff_100mpg

Thats just a nice drop in the bucket. By keeping this on the tips of as many tongues as possible and by continuing to spread the word about things like this through projects like the VIP Outreach team, promotion of the Sunday Evening Update, the Internetworking team, the Art Team, the developing Chapters section, spreading of the imminst.org/newsletter and dissemination of the imminst.org/store merchandise and things like them and all the things like these to come then that 3.5 million will definitely go up. Keep at it, everybodies doing a great job and we are on our way there.

This 3.5 million is kind of like how they say that if you see one mouse, that means there are probably at least 10 to 50 others in the vacinity. This is just the first mouse we spotted in that area. There are many many more million dollar contributors ready and willing to come out of the wood work. Just keep it up, keep contributing, keep volunteering, keep getting the word out, the donations are coming, the support continues to flood in, this is headed for the world stage, there is no doubt about it. The more we do now the faster we get there, and every day is world shatteringly critical.

#42 orion602

• 83 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

[bEntrepreneur backs research on anti-aging[/b]

Peter A. Thiel, co-founder and former chief executive officer of the online payments system PayPal, announced Saturday he is pledging $3.5 million "to support scientific research into the alleviation and eventual reversal of the debilities caused by aging."

So why should humans be any different?

De Grey, who received a doctorate in biology at Cambridge University in 2000 and worked in the university's genetics department from 1992 until a few months ago, characterized the $3.5 million grant as a "major breakthrough" in his effort to get research on indefinite extension of lifespan "really moving in the laboratory."

"It's "pump-priming," he said. "I need probably $1 billion over 10 years" to achieve that goal."

It was written in 2006; so what funds remain to get? something like 990 million within next 6 years? ;) ouch
Attached File  mprize.jpg   92.64KB   7 downloads

I just received the following press release from the Methuselah Foundation. It should have been sent to all members of the 300, several of which are members here at ImmInst.

Hey, that just got me to thinking: we should have a page honoring our members who are also 300 members. With a casual pass through the list of the current 100 members of the 300, I counted 16 that I knew for sure were ImmInst members, not including the membership of the Immortality Institute itself. I don't know the real names of many ImmInst members, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had 20 members on that list.

Anyway, back to the press release:

For Immediate Release

September 18, 2006

PayPal Founder pledges $3.5 Million to antiaging research

Peter Thiel puts his weight behind Dr. Aubrey de Grey’s engineering blueprint for alleviating the debilities caused by aging

Mr. Thiel will donate a total of $500,000 over the next three years to fund pilot research projects intended to deliver early stage validation of the “SENS” approach to combating the debilitation caused by aging.

Additionally, from now until the end of 2009, Mr. Thiel promises to match every Dollar donated to the Methuselah Foundation for SENS research with a 50 cent matching contribution from himself, up to a maximum of $3 Million of matching funds.

Dr. de Grey said “I am extremely grateful to Peter for his bold and visionary initiative. I have been working with leading biologists and biochemists around the world in identifying promising research projects, and with this generous donation we will go to work straightaway.”

If this challenge duration wasn't extended how much of the 3 000 000 stayed unmatched? are there any other significant donations on the horizon? more than 10mio for sens + mprize isn't bad but i would like to see much more funds pouring in..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users