- - - - -

improving imminst

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Jay - It looks promising. Tweaking is of course always necessary. Let me know if you need any help with the technical side.

#32 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

Please see side discussion here:
http://www.imminst.o...T&f=177&t=14590

I've created this separate discussion specifically for the issues of moderation, moderators, censorship, and moderation logs.

#33 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:21 AM

The issue of guns was a sensitive one that highlights some of the cross cultural problems we need to manage but really is not a subject in itself that is taboo. What triggered the censorship was the manner of Jonano's presentation and his insensitivity to how it was received in another culture.

While several people expressed concern over guns in general (especially our friends from down under), I think the issue with jonano's posts had nothing to do with taboos or whatever. Even some people who advocate gun ownership approved of the censorship, because the issue was someone being seen as affiliated with our institute who looked like someone who could be appearing on TV for the wrong reasons very soon [sfty], and it was best to distance ourselves somehow.

Edit: added "some". Obviously there were people who disagreed with the censorship.

#34 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hi Lazarus,

It is discouraging that you, a defender of Free Expression, has surrendered to oppression. There are technical and social solutions to all the problems you use as a defense for reclusiveness and suppression of expression.

There are layers upon layers of restriction of speech on this board. None of which are open to scrutiny by the most active users of the open forums. Why is it so important to hide this information?

Regards,

Thor

#35 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:03 AM

It is discouraging that you, a defender of Free Expression, has surrendered to oppression. There are technical and social solutions to all the problems you use as a defense for reclusiveness and suppression of expression.

There are layers upon layers of restriction of speech on this board. None of which are open to scrutiny by the most active users of the open forums. Why is it so important to hide this information?

I have not surrendered to oppression I am the one inside the citadel fighting to protect your right to criticize and succeeding. What I am also saying is that I am being pragmatic and I am suggesting that I take as much, if not more heat from those wanting to restrict things far more than I and more than a few of the other leaders will allow.

One problem is that we have not had very clear rules on what can and cannot be censored. We have tended to operate on an honor system that generally has actually worked pretty well when we were smaller. Yes there has been abuse but we have also done a pretty good job of policing ourselves.

As for opening up the moderation logs, I am very much against it. They are open to leadership and there is too much information in there that potentially compromises individual privacy and should not be made public. If you are so curious to see them then get a job in leadership and share the responsibility that comes with authority.

#36 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:06 AM

As for opening up the moderation logs, I am very much against it. They are open to leadership and there is too much information in there that potentially compromises individual privacy and should not be made public. If you are so curious to see them then get a job in leadership and share the responsibility that comes with authority

Laz, please see the side discussion I opened, as there are multiple issues when it comes to the moderation logs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users