• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

2057.....Anybody been watching it?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:47 AM

Has anyone else been watching the 2057 show airing on The Discovery/Science Channel?

All 3 parts embedded:

Body:

City:

World:

Edit by Live Forever: Embedded videos

Edited by Live Forever, 28 August 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:56 AM

I saw the first 3 episodes when they played them back to back a couple weeks ago. (not sure if that was all there was or if there will be more) Out of the three ("The Body", "The City", and "The World") I liked "The World" the best, when it was talking about the space elevator and all that stuff. (although, of course, being a good member of ImmInst I did like "The Body" one too)

I thought they are all well produced and put together, what did you think of them shepard?

http://dsc.discovery...bout/about.html

#3 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:14 AM

I thought they were pretty good. The fictional story aspect would help significantly for people who normally shy away from such shows. I didn't necessarily agree with all of the predictions, though (in that I imagine some might have been a little too conservative).

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:30 AM

I thought they were pretty good. The fictional story aspect would help significantly for people who normally shy away from such shows. I didn't necessarily agree with all of the predictions, though (in that I imagine some might have been a little too conservative).

Any type of prediction about the future outside of 20 years are notoriously hard to do. (historically anyway) However, I tend to agree with you. Perhaps the show should have been called 2037 instead, haha.

#5 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:55 AM

I didn't care for the fictional stories that they created to convey certain points.

Such as the "Holo Shark" uploading onto an old laptop and then somehow becoming infected with a computer virus that spreads through the new computer systems in the rest of the city. Perhaps I do not have a good understanding of computer science, but what about that made any sense?

Would a computer virus on Windows Vista really infect a giant network of quantum computers that are probably running on an operating system that is not even compatable with such older technologies?

#6 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:02 AM

I certainly don't think that was the focus of the issue, as much as making a point about an increasing reliance on computer-based technologies.

#7 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

WARNING: Accessing these files may not be legal in your country.

http://www.torrentz....=Discovery 2057

Edited by lightowl, 18 February 2007 - 10:50 AM.

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

WARNING: Accessing these files may not be legal in your country.

http://www.torrentz....=Discovery 2057

Thanks for the link. I love torrents. (use them all the time for movies and tv shows I missed)

#9 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

I certainly don't think that was the focus of the issue, as much as making a point about an increasing reliance on computer-based technologies.

I fully understood that, and perhaps didn't state myself properly, I simply thought it was quite a poor story if you are trying to appeal to an audience that has the ability to think.

#10 air90

• Guest, F@H
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:16 AM

I thought it was a pretty good series, but the dates are quite conservative.

#11 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

I fully understood that, and perhaps didn't state myself properly, I simply thought it was quite a poor story if you are trying to appeal to an audience that has the ability to think.

I don't think any cable TV writers set standards very high anymore.

#12 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:49 AM

I don't think any cable TV writers set standards very high anymore.

[:o]

Agreed. [thumb]

#13 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

All 3 are up on Google Videos now, by the way, for anyone that hasn't seen them:

Body:

City:

World:

#14 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:18 AM

some of the segments freaked me out. (exaggerated).

"in 2057, there will be an orweillian society that will monitor every aspect of your sheep like existence, including the complete lack of privacy and bowing before govt dictators". [:o] [ang]

the hell with that.

The only way I would even BEGIN to entertain an idea like that is if EVERYONE was transparent, including power hungry and lying politicians/law enforcement.
if you know my secrets.....I know yours [lol] . [thumb]

#15 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:23 AM

I started watching one with my kids, but discounted it... and wend on to something more beneficial... it is not just that I like my own version of the future better--I think it is based on a more realistic perspective of what is possible--from all branches of science, theology and economics and projections of our past history...

#16 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:33 AM

I think it is based on a more realistic perspective of what is possible--from all branches of science, theology and economics and projections of our past history...

Wing_girl, you seem like a very intelligent woman...but some of your replies to posts seem to be either overly pessimistic, or underestimating the current rate of change.

and you even conclude that the probability of escape velocity within your lifespan (50 more years) is negligible. [huh]

I think the 2057 show is so conservative that it makes a mockery of anyone attempting to define progression as anything less than orweillian subservitude; and I the data indicates we will surpass this milestone quite soon.

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

"in 2057, there will be an orweillian society that will monitor every aspect of your sheep like existence, including the complete lack of privacy and bowing before govt dictators". 

the hell with that.

The only way I would even BEGIN to entertain an idea like that is if EVERYONE was transparent, including power hungry and lying politicians/law enforcement.

If you had taken a bunch of Red Blooded Americans from 1957, and explained to them what 2007 was going to be like, I think that's exactly how they would have reacted. Frog, pot, slowly warming...

#18 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

If you had taken a bunch of Red Blooded Americans from 1957, and explained to them what 2007 was going to be like, I think that's exactly how they would have reacted. Frog, pot, slowly warming...

so Niner, you agree with my observations?

or do you feel I'm similar to red state imbeciles? [sad]

either way, I'm interested in your opinion.

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:29 AM

Karomesis, I agree with you. The problem is, I think we are already part way there. I don't like the trajectory we seem to be on. On the other hand, things have started looking up a bit recently since we've regained a divided government.

#20 halcyondays

• 93 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:49 AM

It's highly unrealistic. Doctors checking your every 3 days? more like nanobots and sensors in your body providing you with real time data and you are the one who can make a decision to forward that information to a doctor if you feel you need to. These shows always go in the wrong direction. I don't know why these shows always do this but they always get it wrong and it's such an obviously wrong way to be thinking about these things. It's like that guy who said that in 200,000 years we will split into two species, one dwarf species and the other tall people with large dicks and perky breasts. Sounds like a teenagers fantasy than any real hard science.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

and the other tall people with large dicks and perky breasts.

You mean trannys?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users