• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Al Gore

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#31 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Cleaner power plants do need to be developed and built, that much is true. But that is only part of the problem, a small part.

It is the entire problem. As the world industrializes, conservation can only slow the rate of growth of CO2 production to a very limited extent. It cannot reduce or eliminate CO2 production. The problem can only be addressed at the source.

We know of no way to produce power without creating global warming and pollution.

There are lots of ways that won't generate CO2. But will you want to pay for them?

#32 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

Biknut, why do you hate Al Gore?

#33 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

If someone knows a way to generate power without producing CO2 and/or producing other forms of pollution and costing an arm and a leg, I'd like to hear about it. Nukes, as I have said before, are big polluters even when run properly, even when you don't have a disaster like chernobyl. Nuke plants have a limited life, no more than 30 years or so and less in many cases. The containment walls, the pipes and even the concrete used to build those plants begins to lose their structural strength after a number of years exposure to high levels of radiation. All that stuff becomes highly radioactive and stays that way for thousands of years. Where are the hundreds of tons of radioactive debris going to be put and stored for that length of time? Who here wants it in their back yard? Who would allow it to pass through their town on the way to the dump? Don't all speak at once.

Conservation takes personal effort. It's the equivalent of changing your diet and lifestyle to gain more health vs waiting for science to come up with a pill that makes it easy. Maybe some day cold fusion will be a reality and we won't need to conserve. Maybe quantum computers will come along and fulfill all their promise. Until that day comes along, we do need to conserve and it does make a difference.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

If someone knows a way to generate power without producing CO2 and/or producing other forms of pollution and costing an arm and a leg, I'd like to hear about it.

Xanadu, there are lots of ways to make energy that create insignificant amounts of CO2. I would put everything that isn't burning fossil fuels in that category. The CO2 created in the fabrication of windmill parts, or PV cells, or a geothermal plant doesn't amount to a hill of beans when considered as grams CO2/ kWh, compared to a coal plant.

I would not have a problem with a nuclear plant in my backyard. I can see one from close to my house. It's maybe 10 miles away. I think people are talking about 50-60 year lifetimes for modern nukes. There has even been a complete decommission of a nuke, and it was not terrifically expensive. Anything that stays radioactive for thousands of years is by definition not very radioactive, because highly radioactive stuff decays quickly. That's just physics. It would be better to talk about how long it would take to decay back to the radioactivity level of the original uranium ore. The ore isn't hurting anyone just sitting in the ground, (radon notwithstanding) so why not just let the nuke wastes decay to that level - probably a few hundred years, then just bury it? Or better yet, build the kind of reactors that can burn it and not even create a lot of waste.

#35 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

The GDP per CO2 unit produced continues to rise; pretty well proving that even if we freeze CO2 output, the economy can continue to grow.

Biknut: nothing what you state in your last post contradicts what I posted. His energy bill is separate from his offset purchases.

#36 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

Conservation takes personal effort.

Aye, and there's the rub. It's like using cloth diapers instead of disposables. It's not enough to merely recognize an environmental problem and seek rational solutions, but we must make personal gestures of sacrifice and pain.

The mindset is so offputting it's enough to drive one to start a movement to use more energy to force solutions where they need to be-- power generation --sooner rather than later.

There is a reason, other than ignorance of science, why political conservatives are slow to respond to environmental issues. They are automatically suspicious of people calling for personal sacrifice because they know that whenever such calls are made, there is someone not far behind collecting the sacrifices.

#37 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

I'm not sure if you guys have read this but this is an interesting article I found the other day:

http://www.telegraph...lit/nwarm05.xml

#38 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:23 AM

I'm not sure if you guys have read this but this is an interesting article I found the other day:

mike 250, that's the best read yet about global warming. I'm going to repost this in the global warming thread.

#39 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:41 AM

mike 250, that's the best read yet about global warming. I'm going to repost this in the global warming thread.

Better post this along with it...

"Perhaps the most extraordinary and telling thing is that a paper like the Sunday Telegraph has to rely on Christopher Monckton, a journalist and former political advisor to Margaret Thatcher, to attack the science behind contemporary climate change. As far as I can tell he has no qualifications in the field of climate science and I doubt he was written a single scientific paper on the issue. The fact that nowadays the skeptics camp can hardly field a single informed scientist to support their views and have to rely on Monckton, surely says something about the weakness of their arguments."

Read the entire refutation of Monckton's denialism here: http://www.turnupthe...org/?page_id=30

#40 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

Better post this along with it...

"Perhaps the most extraordinary and telling thing is that a paper like the Sunday Telegraph has to rely on Christopher Monckton, a journalist and former political advisor to Margaret Thatcher, to attack the science behind contemporary climate change. As far as I can tell he has no qualifications in the field of climate science and I doubt he was written a single scientific paper on the issue. The fact that nowadays the skeptics camp can hardly field a single informed scientist to support their views and have to rely on Monckton, surely says something about the weakness of their arguments."

Read the entire refutation of Monckton's denialism here: http://www.turnupthe...org/?page_id=30

Of the 2 articles the first seems to be the most believable. I like his response too.

RESPONSE FROM LORD MONCKTON:

This was letter was received from Viscount Monckton on Wednesday 22nd November 2006.

Dear Mr. Monbiot, - You are a zoologist. You say I’m not qualified to discuss climate physics. With all respect, no more are you. Your blog, like your column, misunderstands the fundamentals of radiative transfer. Your blog repeats the error made by the weblog of the “scientists” responsible for the now universally-discredited “hockey-stick” graph. You say I treated the Earth as a “blackbody”, taking the change in mean temperature for each unit change in radiative forcing (the UN calls this variable “lambda”) as 0.27C per watt per square metre. This is wrong on two counts. First, the blackbody value of lambda is 0.223C. Secondly, the value I took for lambda was not 0.27C but 0.3C, which correctly assumes that the Earth is not a blackbody but a rather badly-behaved greybody. The UN’s value of 0.5 to 1C is unsupported either by the laws of physics or by observation. You say lambda is a constant. It isn’t: it’s a variable. You say it’s a term in the Stefan-Boltzmann radiative-transfer equation. It isn’t, though it’s derivable from that equation. By now, readers unfamiliar with the elements of climatological physics may wonder why any of this matters. So let me explain. Several recent papers (e.g. Barnett et al., 2005, Levitus et al., 2005, Hansen et al., 2006) draw attention to the fact that, exactly as my own entirely uncontentious calculations demonstrate, observed temperature has risen by very much less than it would have done if the UN’s exaggerated value for lambda were correct. The three papers I have cited all attribute the shortfall to what is known as the “ocean notion”: namely, that the ocean, with a density around 1,100 times that of the atmosphere, is absorbing heat from the atmosphere. As Hansen rightly concedes, if this is what is happening then we have more time for remedial action than had formerly been thought, since elementary thermodynamics dictates that for as long as the atmosphere is warming it will continue to transfer heat to the oceans, and that the oceans (barring the occasional El Nino event) will not return the heat to the atmosphere unless and until it begins to cool. However, there is no unanimity among the supposed “consensus” scientists as to the reason for the very substantial failure of observed temperature to match the projections taken from the UN’s models. The Hadley Centre, for instance, decided to divide all its projections by three to bring then into line with observation, blaming the discrepancy on atmospheric pollutant aerosols. Lyman (2006) throws up a further complication to the “ocean notion”, demonstrating that the climate-relevant mixed or surface layer of the ocean has cooled very sharply in the last two years. Until my articles appeared, it was not generally known that there was so large a discrepancy between the UN’s projections and observed outturn. Readers interested in studying these matters further may like to refer to my commentary on Al Gore’s response to my Sunday Telegraph articles, which will be found at: http://ff.org/center...061121_gore.pdf. This commentary is well referenced, allowing readers to decide for themselves whether and to what extent my own calculations and findings are reasonable. Finally, my sole aim in looking at the question of climate change has been to try to find out the truth for myself, since I found the rather polemical and hysterical stances taken by both sides in the debate to be unsatisfactory. My only agenda is an innocent quest for the truth. Because I have provided rather more in the way of references and calculations than is usual in this debate, it is easier than usual for anyone who is interested to verify the facts for himself. With all good wishes - Monckton of Brenchley

In other words, Mr. Monbiot, screw you.

#41 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:52 AM

The Good Viscount Monckton of Brenchley is the Energizer Bunny of denialists. When he is refuted, he just comes right back with another load that sounds impressive to the general public. If he is correct, he should be able to publish his claims in a peer reviewed journal, but he hasn't done that, has he?

#42 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:12 AM

The Good Viscount Monckton of Brenchley is the Energizer Bunny of denialists.  When he is refuted, he just comes right back with another load that sounds impressive to the general public.  If he is correct, he should be able to publish his claims in a peer reviewed journal, but he hasn't done that, has he?

What he's saying does sound impressive. You're right about that. At least he gives you all his references so anyone can try to refute them if they want. I don't see anyone trying to do that.

It's funny that believers in man made global warming believe in it because scientists told them. This guy is just pointing out the facts of what is and has happened in comparison to what the global warming scientist's and UN report say happened. If anything he's saying is untrue it should be easy to refute.

When I was in elementary school we learned about vikings living in Greenland in medieval times. It's too cold to live there now, right?

#43 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

Now Al Gore's unhappy that the media is balanced and shows both views. Being a good Communist like he is, he knows that will never help sell his lies to the world. Damn that free speech. This is why Democrats have trouble getting elected, they keep opening their mouths.

Wednesday, 02/28/07

Gore says media miss climate message
Journalists have leaned toward balance at expense of consensus data, he says

Be sure and read the comments after the story.

http://www.dicksonhe...434/1297/MTCN02

#44 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:01 PM

Does this sound like a fair, non-ideological news source? Here's the opening line:

MURFREESBORO — After being the red-carpet darling of the Academy Awards, it was back to reality Tuesday for Al Gore, who resumed his usual role of history-spouting wonk as he addressed a gathering of national media ethicists at MTSU.

Here is Gore's point:

Back in Tennessee on Tuesday, Gore told a crowd of about 50 people at the U.S. Media Ethics Summit II that the presentation's single most provocative slide was one that contrasts results of two long-term studies. A 10-year University of California study found that essentially zero percent of peer-reviewed scientific journal articles disagreed that global warming exists, whereas, another study found that 53 percent of mainstream newspaper articles disagreed the global warming premise.

Doesn't that worry you just a little bit? It does me, but then I consider science a more reliable source of truth than fairy tales or Ann Coulter.

Do you really think Gore is a "Communist"? When you say things like that, you shouldn't be surprised if only the wingnuts will listen to you. Like global warming denialism, creationism, and all the other religious right nonsense- it is evidence of deeply flawed judgement.

#45 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

You are absolutely correct, niner. Unfortunately, the legions of dittoheads who repeat whatever Bush says are not interested in facts or logic. It's like trying to convince a flat earther that the earth is spherical. Or a bible thumper that some things it says are not literally correct.

Do you really think Gore is a "Communist"? When you say things like that, you shouldn't be surprised if only the wingnuts will listen to you. Like global warming denialism, creationism, and all the other religious right nonsense- it is evidence of deeply flawed judgement

If Gore is not perfect, that does not mean he is incorrect about what he says. Likewise, if he is mistaken about some minor point or doesn't live the life some people say he should live, that does not invalidate his message. He is after all, the president elect who never got his seat.

#46 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

Does this sound like a fair, non-ideological news source?  Here's the opening line:

Here is Gore's point:

Doesn't that worry you just a little bit?  It does me, but then I consider science a more reliable source of truth than fairy tales or Ann Coulter.

Do you really think Gore is a "Communist"?   When you say things like that, you shouldn't be surprised if only the wingnuts will listen to you.  Like global warming denialism, creationism, and all the other religious right nonsense- it is evidence of deeply flawed judgement.

One thing not mentioned is that the same mainstream newspapers also report about all of the articles that suport global warming too. This is Gores point. He dosen't believe they should report the articles that disagree with global warming. Doesn't that sound like a communist to you?

BTW I think this article fairly well debunks global warming. I haven't seen anyone show were this guy is lying.

#47 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

You are absolutely correct, niner. Unfortunately, the legions of dittoheads who repeat whatever Bush says are not interested in facts or logic. It's like trying to convince a flat earther that the earth is spherical. Or a bible thumper that some things it says are not literally correct.

If Gore is not perfect, that does not mean he is incorrect about what he says. Likewise, if he is mistaken about some minor point or doesn't live the life some people say he should live, that does not invalidate his message. He is after all, the president elect who never got his seat.

Ha, what a hypocrite you are. If this was Bush instead of Gore, you'd be calling for him to be thrown into a burning pit of Jews.

#48 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:09 AM

It's funny that believers in man made global warming believe in it because scientists told them. This guy is just pointing out the facts of what is and has happened in comparison to what the global warming scientist's and UN report say happened. If anything he's saying is untrue it should be easy to refute.

When I was in elementary school we learned about vikings living in Greenland in medieval times. It's too cold to live there now, right?

I believe the Little Ice Age and Medieval Warming were relatively localized events. They are a popular topic with denialists and have been debunked. Monckton is easy to refute, you're right about that. See http://www.realclima...index.php?p=367

#49 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

I believe the Little Ice Age and Medieval Warming were relatively localized events. They are a popular topic with denialists and have been debunked. Monckton is easy to refute, you're right about that. See http://www.realclima...index.php?p=367

Sure, as long as you consider all of North America, Greenland, Europe and the North Pole relatively localized then you're right.

If Monckton is so easy to debunk please do so. What else is there that you'd like to debunk about what he said? Anybody?

#50 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:26 AM

If Monckton is so easy to debunk please do so. What else is there that you'd like to debunk about what he said? Anybody?

It's been done- see the realclimate.org site above.

#51 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:47 AM

I did read that article. I didn't see any debunking. All Monbiot did was quote the un report. I thought Monckton's response was a lot better. Mondkton is very specific about where the un report is flawed. It should be very easy to prove him a liar if that's the case. Monbiot didn't even try to do that.

#52 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:52 AM

I did read that article. I didn't see any debunking. All Monbiot did was quote the un report. I thought Monckton's response was a lot better. Mondkton is very specific about where the un report is flawed. It should be very easy to prove him a liar if that's the case. Monbiot didn't even try to do that.

Sorry niner, that's a different article that I haven't read yet. Let me have time to read it.

#53 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

Sorry niner, that's a different article that I haven't read yet. Let me have time to read it.

Ok, now we can talk.

This article, http://www.realclima...index.php?p=367, tries to dispute only one assertion out of about ten that Monckton is making. It has to do with the calculation used to arrive at climate sensitivity to radiative forcing. Monckton goes into greater detail than the realclimate article does to explain what the correct figure should be. Both articles quote the same numbers. Monckton says it should be 0.22-0.3C per watt. The realclimate article says 0.27C, so that much they agree on, but then the realclimate article asserts the the real figure, because of other factors needs to be 0.75C per watt. Monckton points out that if you use the 0.27 per watt figure it works out to the observed temperature. Moncktons article is more thorough. He points out the un figures the entire greenhouse-gas forcing in the 20th century was 2 watts. The realclimate article doesn't mention this. Monckton points out that using a factor of 0.27 per watt works out to the observed temperature rise of around .4 or .5C for the 20th century. If you use the .075 figure realclimate recommends the rise should have been more than twice what was observed. The realclimate article doesn't mention this. So after all, it doesn't seem like a very good debunking to me.

20th-century temperature went up by only 0.3C. AccuWeather, a worldwide meteorological service, reckons world temperature rose by 0.45C. The US National Climate Data Centre says 0.5C.

#54 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:54 AM

A key issue is the contention of climate scientists that the oceans are acting as a heat sink as the earth's temperature rises. If true, this would mean that earth's temperature is currently in *disequilibrium*, meaning that the climate sensitivity parameter cannot be applied to model temperature increases during the time period in which the temperature is still rising. That means that the climate sensitivity could indeed be higher than the value that fits the 20th century temperature rise because the full effect of recent CO2 increases is still coming while the ocean temperatures catch up.

Regardless of what you think of Monckton, at least he is encouraging people to learn some scientific details rather than be moved by arguments from authority and films about drowning bears.

#55 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:13 AM

This article, http://www.realclima...index.php?p=367, tries to dispute only one assertion out of about ten that Monckton is making. It has to do with the calculation used to arrive at climate sensitivity to radiative forcing.

There's more debunking in the comments. Here was one detailed posting:

Re #28...You perhaps don't have the particular knowledge of this subject (one doesn't have to be an expert 'though!) to see that Mr. Monckton's Telegraph piece is a disgraceful (and presumably wilfully so) misrepresentation of the science on this subject. Unfortunately that's the point and the problem - Monckton knows that he can effectively tell untruths since he is relying on a lack of knowledge on the part of the general reader. And sadly he's allowed to do this in a National newspaper. The latter seems part of the unfortunate modern editorial practice in the media (TV and print) in which every subject of real or potential sociopolitical interest has to be given a veneer of "balance". But in what manner does an article constructed of "untruths" provide a balance to the "truth"?

I have no connection with climate science. But even so I can identify the myriad misrepresentations in Monckton's piece that are objectively wrong as matters of fact, not opinion. Thus leaving aside the points highlighted in the introductory article by Gavin "Cuckoo Science" the following are easily identified "howlers"

1. Monckton makes the standard attack on the Mann "hockey stick" temperature reconstruction and then asserts that the Medieval Warm Period (MWP) was "up to 3 oC warmer than now". However the temperature reconstructions in the proper scientific literature show that the MWP was significantly cooler that now. So even in a paper entitled "Highly variable Northern Hemisphere temperatures reconstructed from low- and high-resolution proxy data" [Moberg A et al. 2005, Nature 433, 613-617â??], the MWP is around 0.6-0.7 oC cooler than now. The same conclusion applies to the data of Osborn and Briffa (Science 311, 841, 2006), Bradley et al (Science 302, 404, 2003), Mann and Jones (Geophys. Res. Lett. 30, CLM 5-1 (2003), Crowley (Science 289, 270, 2000) etc. etc.

Now if one is going to use past temperature reconstructions to make a point to the reader in a newspaper, what is the point of not representing what the science says on this issue? This isn't a matter of opinion, or of "balancing the argument". It's a question of telling the truth or not about the science. If Monckton wishes to write an op-ed piece then he should be honest with his readers and say that his piece isn't actually based on science.

2. Monckton says "The Antarctic, which holds 90 percent of the world's ice and nearly all its 160,000 glaciers, has cooled and gained ice-mass over the past 30 years, reversing a 6,000-year melting trend."

This is (a) untrue and (b) a misrepresentation of the real issue.

a) The Antarctic isn't gaining mass. Some parts are but overall the evidence indicates that it's losing mass. A pair of satellites (GRACE) were launched several years ago to determine mass balance in the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. These (and other studies) indicate that Antarctica is losing mass. The relevant papers are [Velicogna and Wahr 2006 Measurements of time-variable gravity show mass loss in Antarctica Science 311, 1754-1756 and Rignot and Thomas "Mass balance of polar ice sheets" Science 297, 1502-1506]

b)b) notice that Monckton rather hides away from addressing the real issues. First, the loss of mass in the Antarctic ice sheet is actually somewhat unexpected. In no models or predictions of future warming scenarios does the Antarctic ice mass melt to any significant extent. The reason is that if an ice sheet is at a temperature of say ~20 oC where it never undergoes a seasonal melt, then even a very large temperature increase (say 10 oC) isn't going to make it melt either! Secondly, and more importantly the concern is the Greenland ice sheet which Monckton conveniently chooses not to mention. This is the real concern. This ice sheet is losing mass at a rather larger rate (around 220 cubic kilometres per year) and it will take only another 1-2 oC world warming to raise the summer melt zone to the top of the Greenland ice pack after which point, in my understanding, the ice sheet will go into irreversible melt.

3. Monckton says: "First the UN implies that carbon dioxide ended the last four ice ages" [This is actually untrue the "UN" implies no such thing, nor does any competent scientist!] "It displays two 450,000-year graphs: a sawtooth curve of temperature and a sawtooth of airborne CO2 that's scaled to look similar. Usually, similar curves are superimposed for comparison The UN didn't do that. If it had, the truth would have shown: the changes in temperature preceded the changes on CO2 levels."

Monckton must know full well that his discussion on this point is ludicrous. No one says that there is anything mysterious about the relationship between raised CO2 levels and warming/cooling during glacial/interglacial cycles. These cycles are caused by variations in the Earths orbital properties around the sun. Clearly any changes in CO2 levels HAD TO follow changes in temperature, at least initially, and this is obvious, well understood in general terms and no one is trying to hide the fact, for goodness sake, as Monckton implies. Equally obvious is the fact that raising CO2 levels (as we are doing) will raise temperatures independently of any changes in the Earths orbit/suns effects.

So it's very obvious again that Monckton is cheating his readers here by making what must surely be wilfully misrepresentational descriptions of the issue. He's playing the tired game of pretending that because CO2 levels clearly followed temperature changes in glacial/interglacial transitions, at least initially, that ergo CO2 levels can ONLY follow temperature changes. He's surely doing this deliberately.

4. Monckton says: "The number of temperature stations round the world peaked at 6000 in 1970. It's fallen by two-thirds to 2000 now: a real 'hockey stick' curve, and an instance of the UN's growing reliance on computer guesswork rather than facts"

Again, Monckton must surely know full well that for the last 25-30 years satellite temperature measurement of sea and land surface have replaced terrestrial temperature station measurements in many cases since these give a much greater coverage (70% of the surface of the Earth is water...it's difficult to put weather stations on top of ice sheets etc.!), are accurate [I presume!] and don't suffer from any urban heat contributions etc.. One can only guess why Monckton pretends that there is something wrong with contemporary temperature measurements by pretending that the coverage has plummeted.

etc. etc. I actually came up with a list of about 12 of these. They are very easy to spot, but depressingly tedious to "refute" in a manner that doesn't look like one is just countering one piece of propaganda with another. It takes a bit of time to hunt down the relevant papers that address the specific points.

And therein lies the problem. If a newspaper isn't going to do a proper editorial job of assessing the accuracy of what goes into their paper, then the general reader is (as we say in the UK) stuffed!

Comment by chris — 12 Nov 2006 @ 1:13 pm

#56 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:28 AM

Regardless of what you think of Monckton, at least he is encouraging people to learn some scientific details rather than be moved by arguments from authority and films about drowning bears.

I would say that was a good thing if he was correct, but I think that he is starting from an ideological position and twisting the science to make his case. I don't want to say that he is lying; I think he is more of a True Believer who thinks he is doing the right thing. He reminds me of a scientist that I used to work with. The guy was always coming up with ideas that sounded good but were wrong. Other people would wind up spending hours sorting through his schemes in order to figure out where the subtle error or bad premise was. That was a little bit of wasted time, but Monckton is attempting to influence policy on a global scale, and there's a great deal at stake.

#57 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

There is no denying many of his political observations. Note especially the observations that any measures that don't include China and India will be ineffective, carbon taxes that don't differentiate between CO2 generating and non-generating energy are stupid, and that nuclear power should be getting much more discussion.

• Lurker

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

> it will be necessary to control the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth. If not, all life on Earth is doomed in one billion years, tops.

Are there any supplements that I can take that will help protect me from the extra UV?

#59 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:36 PM

Mars melt hints at solar not human cause of global warming

http://news.national...rs-warming.html

article from national geographic

#60 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

Mars melt hints at solar not human cause of global warming

http://news.national...rs-warming.html

article from national geographic

This article is from a link by your article. It's title is, Don't Blame Sun for Global Warming, however when reading the article on page 2 it becomes clear that there is a lot of room for doubt that scientists really have a handle on what's causing global warming and how the sun affects it. It mentions several other possibility's that are not well understood, one of which is cosmic rays. For some reason most scientists don't want to consider any other reasons and like to use the phrase, the debate is over.

http://news.national...3-sunspots.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users