• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Charlie Rose; Video on Longevity and Aging.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

Edit: Here is the direct link to it on Google Videos: http://video.google....070349217621336

As originally stated by Dr. Olshansky on another thread there was an episode of Charlie Rose on longevity and aging. The program should be replaying all this week on PBS, and will be on Google Videos before long. (as all Charlie Rose interviews are; I will provide the link when it goes live)

They talked about a lot of the current research going on into longevity. (genetics, animal studies, caloric restriction, resveratrol, the effects on society, etc.) It was very realistic in its goals (much of what is going on now) and I found it very informative.

Here is the description for the program from TV Guide:

Episode Detail: Charlie Rose
The third installment of the show's “Science Series” examines longevity and aging. Guests include Dr. Robert N. Butler, founder of the International Longevity Center; Dr. Leonard Guarente (MIT); Dr. Cynthia Kenyon (Cal-San Francisco); Dr. S. Jay Olshansky (University of Illinois-Chicago); and Dr. Richard Weindruch (University of Wisconsin).

Edited by Live Forever, 28 August 2007 - 07:20 PM.

#2 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:07 AM

Here are the two previous "Science Series" segments for anyone interested. (although Charlie Rose has a lot of science people on his shows)

Here is Part 1, "The Human Brain":
http://video.google....494150503430511

We begin our twelve part series with an hour-long exploration of the human brain from psychoanalysis and Sigmund Freud to the cutting edge of brain research.

Here is Part 2, "Understanding the Human Genome"
http://video.google....622628948001707

Part two of the Charlie Rose Science Series examines what we've learned about ourselves through our understanding of the human genome and  ... all » how it will improve our lives.

Segment 1: Paul Nurse, president of The Rockefeller University and James Watson, Chancellor of Cold Springs Harbor Laboratory.

Segment 2: Eric Lander, founding Director of the Broad Insitute of M.I.T. & Harvard / Member, Whitehead Institute, and professor of biology at M.I.T.

Segment 3: Craig Venter, founder of the J. Craig Venter Institute

Edit: Here is the newly added Part 3, "The Science of Living Longer"
http://video.google....070349217621336

In this third episode of the Charlie Rose Science Series, we examine the science of living longer with Paul Nurse of The Rockefeller  ... all » University, Leonard Guarente of M.I.T., Cynthia Kenyon of UC San Francisco, Richard Weindruch of the Wisconsin National Primate Center, Robert Butler, President of the International Longevity Center, Jay Olshansky of the University of Illinois, Chicago, and Sue Levkoff of Harvard Medical School.

Edited by Live Forever, 29 March 2007 - 09:30 PM.

#3 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:29 AM

Starting now.

However, if you miss it, it will be rebroadcast throughout the week, and on Google Videos if you miss it. [thumb]

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:35 AM

Alright thanks man! I'll be sure to watch the uploaded episodes when I get home tomorrow.

#5 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

Alright thanks man! I'll be sure to watch the uploaded episodes when I get home tomorrow.

Sure, just to note that the one on now might not be up by tomorrow, and that is the one on aging.

Edited by Live Forever, 29 March 2007 - 05:31 AM.

#6 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:39 AM

Well I thought it was very informative.

They talked about a lot of the research going on into longevity and aging. It was a round table discussion and they had a lot of experts sitting around (and one by satellite). They covered a lot of ground throughout the hour, but some of the things that they hit on were Caloric Restriction (and the results of study in worms, mice, monkeys, and humans so far), Resveratrol (and why it works, plus a word of warning to be cautious about the stuff you buy because of not knowing the quality of what you are buying, which could cause other problems), the effects of lengthened lifespans on society (which they all felt would be a net positive), genetic research and the results that have been shown in animals, plus a lot of other things I am probably forgetting.

I found it very interesting, and would urge all ImmInst members to watch the program if and when they get a chance. They were all very standard researchers that appeared, so there were no claims of immortality or indefinite lifespans or anything like that, but it was very interesting to see and hear what some of the top scientists in aging related fields are working on and think about some aging related issues.

Perhaps if he gets an opportunity, Dr. Jay Olshansky will respond and let us know what he thought about the program as well.

#7 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

The Charlie Rose Science Series, Episode Three - The Science of Living Longer

http://video.google....NG LONGER&hl=en

EXPLORING THE SCIENCE OF LIVING LONGER:
Part Three in our Science Series
with Sir Paul Nurse, President of The Rockefeller University
LEONARD GUARENTE
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
CYNTHIA KENYON
University of California, San Francisco
RICHARD WEINDRUCH
Wisconsin National Primate Center
ROBERT BUTLER
President, International Longevity Center
JAY OLSHANSKY
University of Illinois, Chicago
SUE LEVKOFF
Harvard Medical School

#8 OutOfThyme

• 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

One of the best shows I’ve seen yet that could sway the general public to start viewing aging as the mother of most disease.

Send this show to the average person and they will get it.

Thanks for posting the links everyone.

Edited by thymeless, 29 March 2007 - 04:04 PM.

#9 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

You see the primates around 23 minutes into the video? This shows two rhesus monkeys probably around the same age (not canto and owen from other vidsos) and the differenec in how they look is amazing. The ad lib looks quite old and frail compared to the one of the CR'd rhesus monkey. This is around 23 minutes into the video.

#10 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

Added a snapshot of the two monkeys here

http://www.imminst.o...t=0#entry164132

#11 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

Charlie Rose: Longevity/Resveratrol

#12 roxanne

• 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

Does anyone know the chemical makeup of the "Elixer" that Cynthia Kenyon is working on for longevity?

#13 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

good watch ;) half way through right now.

Man.... One guy on there says that you would have to drink 1000 bottles of wine a day to get CR effects...

"Nobody in here thinks that we will live forever...?"
"No not any of us here."
"What are those people called"
"The radicals"... hahaha

Edited by lucid, 29 March 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#14 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

Excellent catch, thanks for posting this.

#15 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:11 PM

Does anyone know the chemical makeup of the "Elixer" that Cynthia Kenyon is working on for longevity?

I cant find what is in it exactly, but here is their website.
http://www.elixirpha..._tech/pubs.html

#16 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

The monkeys thing was pretty cool.

After hearing Sue Levkoff near the end mention her company she founded, I looked up the Elixir Pharmaceuticals website. It looks like they do a lot of work into developing the research into antiaging in mice and turn it into drugs to be available. Has anyone heard of this "Glufast" that is mentioned on the front page there? Evidently it "lowers post-meal glucose levels by improving the body's own ability to produce insulin". Could be something to keep an eye on for the health/life extending buffs around here. (Note: it is already available in Japan and near FDA approval in the US)

#17 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

Does anyone know the chemical makeup of the "Elixer"  that Cynthia Kenyon is working on for longevity?

It is just a company she was speaking of. (Elixir Pharmaceuticals) It is (evidently) a company that does a lot of work into developing the research into antiaging in mice and turn it into drugs to be available to humans. They do mention "Glufast" on the front page there, which "lowers post-meal glucose levels by improving the body's own ability to produce insulin". I googled it, and it is available in Japan already and close to FDA approval in the US. Could be something to keep an eye on.

#18 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

The worst quotes of the show award goes to (starting at about the 45 minute mark):
Charlie Rose: "Nobody is arguing we could have a way to become immortal are they?"
One of the panel: "No, No, No. Nobody here is making that argument."
Charlie Rose: "Although there are some people that talk about it."
One of the panel: "There is a school out there that does."
Charlie Rose: "What is that school called?"
*everyone laughing*
One of the panel: "The radical school."
*laughing some more*
Charlie Rose: "Yeah...right"

#19 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

One of the panel: "There is a school out there that does."
Charlie Rose: "What is that school called?"
*everyone laughing*
One of the panel: "The radical school."
*laughing some more*
Charlie Rose: "Yeah...right"

Their comments are a bit biased, no? They are forced, by flow of monies, to only look/comment so far into the 'radical' implications and possibilities, and forced to waive off quickly anything beyond that.

#20 roxanne

• 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

Live Forever Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

#21 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:42 AM

Very good program. I really liked the point that they made that if you can slow aging, you also affect diseases as many are a result of aging.

I'm glad there are two "schools" as it's going to take a lot of funding and there will be many possible solutions to the problems of aging. I see it boiling down to :

School A: Metabolic Tinkerers. Focus is to slow aging and maximize qaulity - Sinclair, Olshansky, et al.

School B: Radical Engineering via Damage Repair, Gene & Stem Cell Therapy, etc (SENS). Focus is to rejuvenate and maximize both quality and quantity - de Grey, SENS et al.

#22 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:58 AM

Very good program.  I really liked the point that they made that if you can slow aging, you also affect diseases as many are a result of aging.

I'm glad there are two "schools" as it's going to take a lot of funding and there will be many possible solutions to the problems of aging.  I see it boiling down to :

School A: Metabolic Tinkerers.  Focus is to slow aging and maximize qaulity - Sinclair, Olshansky, et al.

School B: Radical Engineering via Damage Repair, Gene & Stem Cell Therapy, etc (SENS).  Focus is to rejuvenate and maximize both quality and quantity - de Grey, SENS et al.

I agree. As a movement we have to have a face that is palatable to the average person out there so they can affect public policy change and pushing more "mainstream" research. If it was just a bunch of immortalists screaming for funding and change, it would be very difficult to get public funding and win over the regular joe out there.

#23 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:12 AM

seriously kick ass man. [thumb]

that's basically a who's who in aging research.
100$ says Kenyon will get the Nobel for her research. [lol]

any takers?

#24 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Reason has a good post about the show over at Fight Aging. His response to some of the comments here are :

If you don't stretch for the greater goals, you won't attain them. if you're not working towards the best possible result, you certainly won't get there. If we want to see significant progress towards true rejuvenation within our lifetimes - enabled by the march of science towards methods of repairing the cellular damage of aging - then we'd better step up and help to support the growth of SENS-like research programs.

Repairing aging is better than slowing aging, and doesn't look like it will take much longer, or be any harder. So why take the obviously worse route? Sadly, the obviously worse route is the dominant path for that part of the modern gerontology community willing to work towards healthy life extension. This must change in the years ahead.

A lot is being said here. I'm not going to take it apart piece by piece but in general I think both paths (School A & School B) require significant investment as "Best" is relative and there is little data from either school. Neither have been funded.

School A's investment in basic research towards understanding the specific metabolic causes of aging and various repair mechanisms that work for young organisms is of enormous value. Their emphasis is on reduction, systems biology, testing and getting to the core theories of aging. What is wrong with that?

It was basic research that lead to many of Aubrey's proposals was it not? Isn't it entirely possible that numerous additional good ideas that trump some if not all of the ideas proposed in SENS fall out of basic metabolic, genomic and proteomic aging research? Ideas that are more practical and/or economical? I'm not suggesting we sit around and wait for possible solutions to emerge, SENS interventions should be pursued but history tells us that the better we understand the low level functions of a complex system, the more likely we'll be able to control it's higher level properties. I think there are still many potential alternative solutions that we will be able to drive out the system including those like CR & resveratrol that slow aging.

The bottom line is that we need more money invested in all aspects of biogerontology research, not just SENS type efforts. One poster responds to reason's blog with :

I think this is one of those situations where any publicity is good publicity.

If 1,000,000 people watch this show, and 100,000 of them are inspired to spend a little time poking around the internet for more information on anti-aging research (the modest-goals school is plausible to the average person and still of interest), and 10,000 of them consequently stumble upon Fight Aging or de Grey's site or Kurzweil's, and 1,000 of those take the time to read more and come to understand the real issues -- well, I don't see any downside.

Ironically, the opposite affect may be just as true. People may see the controversy surrounding "the debate" which generates attention and funding for less radical approaches. e.g. Is this show an example of this? Regardless, it's a win-win and good for longevity research that the debate exists and that factions are beginning to emerge. Now we just need a militant wing [tung]

#25 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

Over 7000 views! I don't know who to thank for putting it online, but I appreciate it.

Jay really interviewed well, too. His contributions were very reasonable.

#26 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

Over 7000 views!  I don't know who to thank for putting it online, but I appreciate it.

PBS puts all the Charlie Rose episodes online. I have watched several of his episodes online. He interviews a lot of interesting people from all aspects of society.

#27 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:24 AM

Thanks, Mr. Forever

42,000 views on the brain episode. Hmmn, that's pretty good penetration for a rather 'boring' topic.

Even if it's actually 10,000 'real' viewers(I know I loaded it more than once), that's still rather impressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users