Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

now resveratrol w/ green tea extract

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_miamisc2_*

• Lurker

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

first of all, hi. secondly, i just recently (maybe 12 hours ago) became aware of resveratrol and it's possibly awesome benefits. i went ahead and ordered NOW'S resveratrol since i was ordering some other supplements, just to give it a shot. looking through this forum, i came across the posts about egcg working against the sirt1 gene. it seems that now's resveratrol contains green tea extract and now i'm worried that it will counter the effect resveratrol has on the sirt1 gene.

should i be worried?
should i try a different product (it also seems like the resveratrol content isn't very high)?

i plan on taking this on an empty stomach with omega-3 fish oils and a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil for a few weeks, and with a glass or two of wine for a few weeks to see if i feel any different.

this is what the label says in case anyone needs a reference;
Serving Size2Vcaps
Servings Per Container30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Red Wine Extract(Vitis Vinifera)(Min. 30% Polyphenols) 200mg *
Natural Trans-Resveratrol(From Polygonum Cuspidatum Extract)(Root) 100mg *
Green Tea Extract(Camellia Sinensis)(Leaf)(Min. 98% Total Polyphenols, 70% Total Catechins And 45% EGCG)(Contains 8mg Of Caffeine) 200mg *
Grape Seed Extract(Vitis Vinifera)(Min. 95% Polyphenols) 100mg

#2 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

Wow - Now finally came out with a version!

Its very similar to Country Life only it has 50 MG per cap (60 Cap bottle) and the additon of Green Tea and red wine polyphenols (minus the pycnogenol and grape skin found in the Country Life)

The Country Life still has more bang for the buck (100 mg per cap in a 60 cap bottle) but I would definately consider trying this brand if I run low on Country Life - I really like NOW for my other supplements

I find it really interesting in the ingredient caption under...

Suggested Use - Consider taking this product in combination with NOW® CoQ10, Pycnogenol and Tru-C BioComplex.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guest_miamisc2_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

how does pycnogenol and tru-c play a part?

#4 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:32 AM

Shortly after I emailed NOW foods awhile back. NOW shortly after came out with their 600mg CoQ10 softgels they made it with zinc oxide (has a broader sunscreen than tio2) instead:

http://www.nowfoods....l&item_id=91562

Plus, NOW added this to their website:

"Titanium Dioxide and Phosphates: These synthetic ingredients are widely used as excipients in supplements. Excipients are ingredients that have no nutritional value, but have been added to improve processing. NOW minimizes the use of these additives. In fact, many of our coQ10 softgels are formulated to be free of titanium dioxide—a rarity in the market":

http://www.nowfoods....l&item_id=95421

But, I did noticed NOW's veggie based softgels used on their new vitamin E which has Carrageenan which is also in some supplements but usually in ice cream and non-dairy drinks like soy, rice, and almond milk. Carrageenan should be avoided:

http://www.drweil.co...w/u/id/QAA44833

I emailed that a few days ago. I hope by helping guide supplement companies, I help others like myself.

I emailed them about combining green tea with resveratrol since both have opposite effects on the SIRT1 longevity gene. Again, green tea helps one live longer mainly only by staving off cancer. Resveratrol does that and increases your potential since:

Resveratrol showed that it switched hundreds of genes at one time. [Cancer Biology Therapy 3:882-89, 2004]

The best molecule of the nature: The scientist Dr. John Pezzuto after the test of more than 31,000 natural molecules: "From all, Resveratrol is the most
promising.“

#5 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:25 AM

Red wine can help one lose weight. [Health magazine 2005, Aug, p.45-6] Green tea's “EGCG” does too, but inhibits the longevity gene Sirtuin 1 (SIRT1). [Betterhumans 2004, Jun,28]

#6 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

Red wine can help one lose weight. [Health magazine 2005, Aug, p.45-6] Green tea's “EGCG” does too, but inhibits the longevity gene Sirtuin 1  (SIRT1).  [Betterhumans 2004, Jun,28]

I thought EGCG only inhibited SIRT1 under unstabilised conditions? i.e lab cultures rather than in vivo

#7 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

So it would seem:

Vincent C.J. de Boer, Marcus C. de Goffau, Ilja C.W. Arts, Peter C.H. Hollman and Jaap KeijerCorresponding Author Contact Information, [send email to jaap.keijer@wur.nl via gmail] E-mail The Corresponding Author
RIKILT – Institute of Food Safety, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Received 7 December 2005; revised 6 February 2006; accepted 23 February 2006. Available online 17 April 2006.

Abstract

Silent information regulator two ortholog 1 (SIRT1) is the human ortholog of the yeast sir2 protein; one of the most important regulators of lifespan extension by caloric restriction in several organisms. Dietary polyphenols, abundant in vegetables, fruits, cereals, wine and tea, were reported to stimulate the deacetylase activity of recombinant SIRT1 protein and could therefore be potential regulators of aging associated processes. However, inconsistent data between effects of polyphenols on the recombinant SIRT1 and on in vivo SIRT1, led us to investigate the influence of (1) stability of polyphenols under experimental conditions and (2) metabolism of polyphenols in human HT29 cells, on stimulation of SIRT1. With an improved SIRT1 deacetylation assay we found three new polyphenolic stimulators. Epigallocatechin galate (EGCg, 1.76-fold), epicatechin galate (ECg, 1.85-fold) and myricetin (3.19-fold) stimulated SIRT1 under stabilizing conditions, whereas without stabilization, these polyphenols strongly inhibited SIRT1, probably due to H2O2 formation. Using metabolically active HT29 cells we were able to show that quercetin (a stimulator of recombinant SIRT1) could not stimulate intracellular SIRT1. The major quercetin metabolite in humans, quercetin 3-O-glucuronide, slightly inhibited the recombinant SIRT1 activity which explains the lack of stimulatory action of quercetin in HT29 cells. This study shows that the stimulation of SIRT1 is strongly affected by polyphenol stability and metabolism, therefore extrapolation of in vitro SIRT1 stimulation results to physiological effects should be done with caution.

Keywords: SIRT1; Sir2; Polyphenols; Quercetin; Resveratrol; EGCg

Abbreviations: AMC, 7-amino-4-methylcoumarin; EC, (−)-epicatechin; ECg, (−)-epicatechin gallate; EGC, (−)-epigallocatechin; EGCg, (−)-epigallocatechin gallate; NAD, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide; sir2, silent information regulator 2; SIRT1, silent information regulator two ortholog 1; TSA, trichostatin A

Thus, in a "stable" metabolic mileu, ECGC may act as SIRT1 stimulator, rather than inhibitor.

To know for sure, I think one needs to study human in vivo genetic expression modifications with various levels of EGCG as well as other nutrients and polyphenols. I don't know that this has been done, or if it has, if the information is publicly accessible.

#8 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

http://www.imminst.o...mp;#entry178445

Has anyone read the study? Because the abstract does not tell me just what "stabilizing conditions" are. Why many people seem to conclude from this abstract that SIRT1 activation is not negatively impacted in vivo is beyond me.

#9 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Has anyone read the study?  Because the abstract does not tell me just what "stabilizing conditions" are.  Why many people seem to conclude from this abstract  that SIRT1 activation is not negatively impacted in vivo is beyond me.

From that abstract and the following abstract, I conclude that EGCG + superoxide = H2O2 + EGCG dimer. H2O2 inhibits SIRT1. SOD gets rid of superoxide, resulting in stabilized EGCG, no H2O2 production, and SIRT1 stimulation by EGCG.

Cancer Res. 2005 Sep 1;65(17):8049-56.
Mechanism of action of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate: auto-oxidation-dependent inactivation of epidermal growth factor receptor and direct effects on growth inhibition in human esophageal cancer KYSE 150 cells.
Hou Z, Sang S, You H, Lee MJ, Hong J, Chin KV, Yang CS.

Susan Lehman Cullman Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Chemical Biology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854-8020, USA.

(-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), the principal polyphenol in green tea, has been shown to inhibit the growth of many cancer cell lines and to suppress the phosphorylation of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR). We observed similar effects of EGCG in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma KYSE 150 cells and epidermoid squamous cell carcinoma A431 cells. Pretreatment of KYSE 150 cells with EGCG (20 micromol/L) for 0.5 to 24 hours in HAM's F12 and RPMI 1640 mixed medium at 37 degrees C, before the addition of EGF, resulted in a decreased level of phosphorylated EGFR (by 32-85%). Prolonged treatment with EGCG (8 or 24 hours) also decreased EGFR protein level (both by 80%). EGCG treatment for 24 hours also caused decreased signals of HER-2/neu in esophageal adenocarcinoma OE19 cells. These effects of EGCG were prevented or diminished by the addition of superoxide dismutase (SOD, 5 units/mL), or SOD plus catalase (30 units/mL), to the cell culture medium. A similar phenomenon on inactivation of EGFR was observed in A431 cells as well. Under culture conditions for KYSE 150 cells, EGCG was unstable, with a half-life of approximately 30 minutes; EGCG dimers and other oxidative products were formed. The presence of SOD in the culture medium stabilized EGCG and increased its half-life to longer than 24 hours and some EGCG epimerized to (+)-gallocatechin-3-gallate. A mechanism of superoxide radical-mediated dimerization of EGCG and H2O2 formation is proposed. The stabilization of EGCG by SOD in the culture medium potentiated the activity of EGCG in inhibiting KYSE 150 cell growth. The results suggest that in cell culture conditions, the auto-oxidation of EGCG leads to EGFR inactivation, but the inhibition of cell growth is due to other mechanisms. It remains to be determined whether the presently observed auto-oxidation of EGCG occurs in vivo. In future studies of EGCG and other polyphenolic compounds in cell culture, SOD may be added to stabilize EGCG and to avoid possible artifacts.

PMID: 16140980

#10 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Ya. I've read the text: basically, they used Vit. C for elimination of H202, as noted by krillian.

#11 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

Ya. I've read the text: basically, they used Vit. C for elimination of H202, as noted by krillian.

Interesting. I just realized (smack forehead) that H2O2 is still produced if SOD is used for stabilization. SOD therefore just prevents EGCG dimerization by superoxide. So the dimer must be what's inhibiting SIRT1. Thus, vitamin C's key action must be a reaction with superoxide, not H2O2. I didn't know it did that. I did a search and found that ascorbate reacts with superoxide, but 105 times slower than SOD.

http://www.pubmedcen...cgi?artid=58796

#12 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

To quote yon article:

De Boer et al. (2006) Mech Aging Dev 127:618 127

"Polyphenols influence recombinant SIRT1 activity directly and indirectly

To determine the effects of polyphenols on SIRT1 deacetylase activity, we used the recombinant SIRT1 protein. Because several of the tested polyphenols are known to be unstable in aqueous solution we conducted experiments with and without addition of vitamin C or catalase. Addition of vitamin C did not change the effect on SIRT1 activity significantly for resveratrol, quercetin, EC and ECg (table 6.1). However, a striking finding was that EGCg, EGC, gallic acid and myricetin inhibited the activity of SIRT1 when the compounds were incubated without any stabilizing agents (table 6.1). For example, the substrate deacetylation was approximately 25 times lower in the presence of EGCg than in the control reaction. Addition of 100U/ml catalase negated the inhibitory effect of EGCg, whereas addition of 1 mM vitamin C resulted in stimulation of SIRT1 (figure 6.3A). This indicates that the inhibition probably is an indirect effect caused by oxidation products of EGCg or by H2O2. To investigate whether formation of oxidation products of EGCg or H2O2 formation was responsible for the inhibition of SIRT1 activity, we preincubated EGCg for half an hour without vitamin C, catalase, SIRT1 or substrate. SIRT1 and substrate were incubated afterwards with the preincubated solution with and without addition of stabilizing agents. Stabillizing agents again eliminated the inhibitory effects of polyphenols on SIRT1 activity (figure 6.3B). This suggests that H2O2 formation is the major process that caused the activity"

#13 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Aha. So EGCG stimulates SIRT1 (based on the vitamin C experiment), the EGCG dimer is inert (based on the catalase experiment), and H2O2 inhibits SIRT1. SOD stabilizes EGCG, but it won't be able to stop SIRT1 inhibition by H2O2. Vitamin C both stabilizes EGCG and prevents the SIRT1 inhibition by H2O2.

Thanks for posting that.

#14 orbital

• 39 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:43 AM

So where does this leave the NOW formula of resveratrol, and is there an optimum combination of supplements to be taken with resveratrol emerging as a result of these articles?

#15 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:43 AM

I wouldn't recommend any non-organic tea source due to the fluoride content.

NOW doesn't extract EGCG from organic tea. Trust me NOW has some decent supplements. But, other companies are better quality. NOW aspires to be Jarrow. I'm always emailing them things they didn't realize. Jarrow's newer resveratrol capsules are 100mg total resveratrol (80mg trans resveratrol per Vcap) I called. You want a alternative to Country life then go with Jarrow:

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=7918&at=0

I'd stick with what's proven thus far. Organic green tea is just in support a healthy lifestyle. Resveratrol erases most adverse effects of even a poor diet in large enough amounts.

EGCG is just acting to distract people's attention to resveratrol. Resveratrol is our best natural shot for life extension. People who cannot afford large doses of resveratrol is only because they are distracted by a lot of supplements that don't show no potential compared to resveratrol for an increased lifespan.

A Journal shows Resveratrol switches hundreds of genes. Show me where green tea does that. Green tea doesn't improve someone genetic potential just makes one live longer by being free of cancer. Resveratrol increases your genetic potential, prevents Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

It's actually hard to tell if green tea is all that great because Japanese eat like angels compared to Americans which could explain their higher life expectancy. French on the other hand have a higher fat diet and simply consume resveratrol and still have a higher life expectancy than Americans.

Apparently, resveratrol would even make the ultimate wrinkle cream:

Golden Delicious apples dipped in resveratrol appeared fresh and retained their taste after 75 days at room temperature whereas undipped apples rotted and were unfit for consumption. [J Agric Food Chem 2003; 51:82-89] You dip an apple in EGCG and after 75 days it'll be rotten as well. There's simply not comparison.

Mortality from diseases specifically related to old age (infectious diseases, pneumonia, dementia, etc) increased in all countries except France. [Journal Clinical Epidemiology 57: 203-216, 2004] So, it appears like green tea comes far too short compared to red wine.

It's really not a surprise that resveratrol has the same effect on the body as CR since grapes make resveratrol when under a healthful stress to resist mold. People who are on CR also put a healthful stress on the bodies.

Researchers in the past thought the human genome was rather large but now they found it's merely about 30,000 genes. Yet, a kernel of rice has about 60,000 genes. So, I wouldn't be so hesitant to assume it'll make humans live longer!

Edited by mirian, 18 June 2007 - 07:08 AM.

#16 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

I wouldn't recommend any non-organic tea source due to the fluoride content.

NOW doesn't extract EGCG from organic tea. Trust me NOW has some decent supplements. But, other companies are better quality. NOW aspires to be Jarrow. I'm always emailing them things they didn't realize. Jarrow's newer resveratrol capsules are 100mg total resveratrol (80mg trans resveratrol per Vcap) I called. You want a alternative to Country life then go with Jarrow:

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=7918&at=0

I'd stick with what's proven thus far. Organic green tea is just in support a healthy lifestyle. Resveratrol erases most adverse effects of even a poor diet in large enough amounts.

EGCG is just a drawing your attention from the real deal which is a gamble. Resveratrol is our best natural shot for life extension.

A Journal shows Resveratrol switches hundreds of genes. Show me where green tea does that. Green tea doesn't improve someone gentic potential just makes one live longer by being free of cancer. Resveratrol increases your genetic potential, prevents alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

yes but the evidence to support green teas benefits is alot more established than resveratrol. resveratrol seems to be extremly promising but the evidence is fairly preliminary (ASAIK)

#17 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:51 AM

Then, have fun wasting your money. I threw some bottles of NOW EGCG in the trash in the past. Like they say one person's trash is another's treasure. Fluoride inhibits thyroid function which is relatively abundant in all non-organic teas.

Edited by mirian, 18 June 2007 - 07:19 AM.

#18 buck1s

• 86 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

And please provide some evidence that organic farming of tea and fluoride content have any relationship. Doesn't sound right.

#19 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

I use NOW's fluoride-free Cinnafresh toothpaste. Can't beat it for $1.99 on Iherb!

A recent article on Bill Sardi's Knowledge of Health site about dental cavities may just be one of many possible symptoms of vitamin D deficiency:

http://www.knowledge.....alth Agencies,

Fluoride content is lower in organic green tea because no synthetic fertilizer's that contain fluoride are used in organic crops.

Why you might want to avoid teas in general and especially supplements which are concentrated versions:

http://www.mercola.c...ide_thyroid.htm

I know, what I said is rather sad but true. When I told NOW that Jarrow makes it a point to try making all ingredients in their supplements are non-gmo. Since, then they added this to their website:

http://www.nowfoods....l&item_id=14595

But, as the saying goes actions speaks louder than words.

Please don't be surprised that organic tea might have lower amount of fluoride.

Sorry about the Caps:

ORGANICALLY GROWN FRUITS & VEGGIES ARE HIGHER IN VIRTALLY ALL HEALTHFUL MINERALS AND LOWER IN VIRTUALLY ALL UNHEALTHY MINERALS ACCORDING TO THE JOURNAL OF APPLIED NUTRITION (1993) [Prescription for Natural Cures Book, authors: Balch MD & Stengler ND, 2004, pages 541 & 546]:

MAGNESIUM 138% HIGHER

POTASSIUM 125% HIGHER

SILICON 86% HIGHER

SELENIUM 390% HIGHER

ZINC 60% HIGHER

CHROMIUM 78% HIGHER

CONVENTIONALLY GROWN IS HIGHER IN UNHEALTHY MINERALS :

ALUMINUM 40% HIGHER

LEAD 29% HIGHER

MERCURY 25% HIGHER

I get my thyroid checked as part of the Super panel I get for only $80.00 which includes:

1. Full lipid panel (total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides)
2. Most primary minerals including, calcium, iron, potassium, sodium, etc.
3. Sometimes get my magnesium RBC, high sensitivity hs-CRP, or rarely cause its expensive 25-hydroxyvitamin D ideal is 46 to 50ng/ml. But, just take 2000IU D3 which is in my multivitamin now, so don't have to worry about too much.
4. Thyroid panel (TSH, free T4, free, T3)
5. CBC

But, it's always best to avoid chlorine and fluoride which are clear inhibitors of thyroid function. Granted thyroid function decreases with age. You should still avoid things that discourage proper thyroid function. Avoiding soy, canola oil, many other things, but cooking usually makes many of these foods ok to eat:

Some foods, such as rapeseed (canola oil) and Brassica vegetables (cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower), contain natural goitrogens, chemicals that cause the thyroid gland to enlarge by interfering with thyroid hormone synthesis.1 Cooking has been reported to inactivate this effect in Brussels sprouts.2 Cassava, a starchy root that is the source of tapioca, has also been identified as a goitrogenic food.3 Other goitrogens include maize, sweet potatoes, lima beans, soy, and pearl millet.4

1. Paynter OE, Burin GJ, Jaeger RB, Gregorio CA. Goitrogens and thyroid follicular cell neoplasia: evidence for a threshold process. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 1988;8:102–19 [review].

2. McMillan M, Spinks EA, Fenwick GR. Preliminary observations on the effect of dietary brussels sprouts on thyroid function. Hum Toxicol 1986;5:15–9.

3. Biassoni P, Ravera G, Bertocchi J, et al. Influence of dietary habits on thyroid status of a nomadic people, the Bororo shepherds, roaming a central African region affected by severe iodine deficiency. Eur J Endocrinol 1998;138:681–5.

4. Boyages SC. Iodine deficiency disorders. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1993;77:587–91

"Certain foods contain substances which are metabolized to 5-vinyloxazolidine-2-thione and thiocyanate. 5-Vinyloxazolidine-2-thione and thiocyanate may compete with iodide and negatively affect the iodine status of the thyroid gland and may cause hypothyroidism. These food substances are called goitrogens and are found in foods such as cassava and such cruciferous foods as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and rutabaga. Certain flavonoids may have goitrogenic activity. C-gluosylflavones such as vitexin, which are found in millet, have been found to inhibit thyroid peroxidase activity. The soybean isoflavones genistein and daidzein have also been found to inhibit thyroid peroxidase":

http://www.pdrhealth.../iod_0146.shtml

"Ingestion of foods that contain substances that inhibit thyroid hormone synthesis (goitrogens, eg, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cassava)":

http://www.merck.com...152/ch152h.html

Edited by mirian, 19 June 2007 - 03:20 AM.

#20 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:18 AM

If you suspect your thyroid is being abnormally depressed by tea, wouldn't it be more reasonable to get a thyroid function blood test rather than blaming a random supplement, throwing it out, and concluding that your thyroid has been cured?

First of all, I didn't say I had a thyroid problem. Your assuming things. Someone wise would avoid things that inhibit thyroid function otherwise your just setting yourself up for thyroid problems eventually in the future.

#21 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:37 AM

I drink some organic green tea. Japan generally doesn't use all the chemicals when farming compared to the US. Japan and EU ban gmo foods. USA allows everything harmful gmo's, trans fats, etc. Denmark has banned trans fats. Japan has one of the strictest heavy metal laws. Therefore, plates made in Japan are desirable. In fact, I don't know of another organic garlic field for supplements other than Japan. NOW's aged garlic is from the USA and isn't organic. Japan's tea probably has low fluoride levels. Most of Japan's soda's I'm told I sweetened with Stevia which is natural and zero calories. No, surprise they live longer because stevia sweetened soda or, green tea is zero calories. Addison, you exaggerate everything including your 10,000IU vitamin D regimen. You add nothing of value to this site. You think you can use profanity on here because you're a paid member. I'm sure you'l disagree, and make up something. When anybody with common sense knows USA has more nasty environment than Japan. China is a whole different story you should avoid virtually anything from there including food dish plates.

Edited by mirian, 19 June 2007 - 05:00 PM.

#22 orbital

• 39 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:42 AM

Can anyone tell me:

Is the conclusion from the above that anyone wanting the full benefit of Resveratrol should remove ALL green/white tea from their diet, or merely ensure that there is enough vitamin-c in their system to prevent SIRT-1 inhibition?

#23 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

The results above were in vitro, where oxygen runs 22% or so, unlike at the cellular level in the body, where oxygen is under 5%. Hence it is invalid to draw any conclusions for ones regimen. As a practical matter, ifone takes enough resveratrol, it should overwhelm any slight SIRT1 inhibition from substances in dietary amounts.

#24 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

We're all basically stumbling in the dark, WRT t-resveratrol and reproducible human effects, AFAICT.

That stated, I agree with Maxwatt. Take it (t-resveratrol, green tea, white tea, quercetin, advice about supplements, etc.) with a grain of salt! ;)

#25 orbital

• 39 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:30 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm in a quandry about what my regimen should be, now!

Perhaps sooner or later some definitive studies will point to the right direction. ;)

#26 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:47 AM

FYI i emailed NOW awhile back about the flouride content of their product and the rep confidently told me that there were 0 to negligible amounts of flouride in their GTE.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#27 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:15 AM

NOW Foods postponed coming out with their high dose "Mega-Resveratrol" until November 2007 instead of Sept. So, better to get that when it comes out in 10 days.

NOW Foods will not tell you the amount of fluoride in the green tea. They just come up with a blanket statement like the higher the EGCG the lower the fluoride.

Fluoride does three things all of which are detrimental to anybody's health:

1. Increases the risk of potential skeletol fluorosis.

2. Drops mens testosterone level.

3. Inhibits thyroid function. People wise on health know that the thyroid is critical to your overall health so avoiding fluoride or uncooked soy is always good advice.

If your confused about a supplement regimen consider this one (adding NOW Mega-Resveratrol when it comes out in November). Lately, I've become in favor of a basic multivitamin with two Jarrow IP6 capsules before bed to help chelate (remove) any excess iron. IP6 also activated SIRT1 like trans-Resveratrol & Quercetin. Any anti-aging regimen is weak without IP6 since a Journal reference says only through IP6 can double-strand DNA repair occurr which is the worst type of DNA damage:

THESE THREE SUPPLEMENTS YOU GET FROM SWANON'S:

1. Swanson's Flaxseed oil with 20 mg lignans. Take 3 softgels per day with first meal.

http://www.swansonvi...CatalogId=10051

2. Swanson's Supreme C with 500mg vitamin P. Take 3 capsules per day. Take 1 capsule immediately upon waking in morning. 1 capsule with first meal & 1 capsule with last meal. Get 2,000 mg daily, so take 4 total per day in 4 divided doses.

3. Swanson's Albion Chelated Magnesium. Take 2 capsules daily. Take 1 capsule with first & last meal.

THE FOLLOWING 14 SUPPLEMENTS ALL ARE FROM IHERB.COM :

Iherb pill cutter. Order only 1 every order since it's free. Can always give away.

http://www.iherb.com...9942349129&at=0

1. NOW Daily Vits. Take 1 tablet per day with first meal.

http://www.iherb.com...=1&pid=528&at=0

2. Healthy Origins Seleno Excell. Take 1 tablet per day with first meal.

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=6899&at=0

3. Source Naturals MegaFolinic. Take 1/2 a tablet per day with last meal.

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=7735&at=0

4. NOW Quercetin. Take 2 Vcaps per day. Take 1 Vcap with first & last meal.

http://www.iherb.com...=1&pid=774&at=0

5. Nature's Way Garlicin. Take 2 tablets per day. Take 1 tablet with first & last meal.

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=1990&at=0

6. NOW Vitamin D3. Take 2 softgels per day. Take 2 softgels with first meal. Personally, I take 4 softgels daily to achieve the minimum ideal 25 (OH) D of 55ng/ml.

http://www.iherb.com...=1&pid=543&at=0

7. Source Naturals K2. Take 1/2 a tablet per day with first meal.

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=5455&at=0

8. Jarrow Biosil. Take 1 Vcap per day with first meal.

http://www.iherb.com...9631009212&at=0

9. Source Naturals Chelate Chromium. Take 1 tablet per day with first meal.

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=1069&at=0

10. Jarrow EPS. Take 2 Vcaps per day. Take 1 Vcap with first & last meal. Also, helps avoid food poisoning.

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=7006&at=0

11. Carlson Lutein. Take 1 capsule daily. Take 1 capsule with first meal.

http://www.iherb.com...1&pid=2784&at=0

12. NOW Lycopene. Take 1 softgel daily. Take 1 sofegl with first meal.

http://www.iherb.com...=1&pid=332&at=0

13. Jarrow IP6. Take 2 capsules per day. Take with only about 6 ounces of water 3 full hours after last meal before bed. Good rule with IP6 take a full 3 hours away from any food, drink, or other supplements. Take with only water.

http://www.iherb.com...=1&pid=190&at=0

14. NOW Cinnafresh fluoride-free toothpaste. Use upon waking in morning and right before bed. Best if used with Sonicare Elite toothbrush & use wax-free dental floss right before brushing at bed time:

http://www.iherb.com...1&kw=cinnafresh

Edited by mirian, 23 October 2007 - 05:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users