Photo

Contacting Celebrities

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:04 AM

Why shouldn't Imminst start getting celebs on our side? I remember a few years back someone had the idea of contacting David Bowie who was a would be immortalist. Why not start spreading the meme to other celebs? Wouldn't someone like Harrison Ford be great to have on our side? I think if we started to get famous people on our side than that would make our job of spreadiing the immortality meme even easier. This kind of PR is just what imminst needs right now. I think the more people on our side the better. Someone like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jollie seem to be people who would support immortality. Tell me what you think.

Devon

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:08 AM

From a PR perspective, it would be the height of stupidity for a celebrity to strongly align himself to the prospect of immortality at the moment.

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, there are a lot of celebs that believe in Scientology. We can't be that much wackier than those guys.

#4 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:03 AM

If we did contact them, I would suggest that we do not have them represent imminst or any specific organization (except Mprize possibly). Instead, I think it would be better to request them to project an affinity to the concept in general...

#5 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:03 AM

[quote]Yeah, there are a lot of celebs that believe in Scientology. We can't be that much wackier than those guys. QUOTE]
The question is whether there are any that are NOT-wacky enough to believe in immortality/nanotech/agi

#6 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

Given the celebrity obsessed culture these days and how easy it is to become a 'celebrity', why not just transform someone off here into a celebrity and then spread the message?

We could use Max Clifford's guide to becoming a celebrity, http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/6168077.stm

"Max Clifford's 10 Tips:

1. Appear on a reality series
2. Enter a talent contest
3. Be abysmal on a talent show
4. Gain fame by association
5. Date a celebrity
6. Flaunt your body
7. Date a Royal Family member
8. Make a home sex video
9. Be a success on MySpace
10. Be in the right place at the right time"

• Lurker

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Immortality and or life extenion is not something you can really "sell" People in general need tangibility. (If you can't see it then it must not exist.) Trying to "sell" immortality would be like people going door to door to sell bibles or to try and sell religion. Both are very personal choices and should not be exploited. You can bring awareness through books, conferences, and sites like this. If a person seeks life extention/immortality they shall seek it out and they WILL find it!!! If all else fails try to get on Oprah!!! :) :)

Edited by wonder, 08 May 2007 - 12:36 PM.

#8 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

I'd talk to anyone ;)

#9 fruser

• Guest, F@H
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

I think that this is a superb idea! ;) How does fashion gain popularity? Just make someone with a bit of prestige associated with them wear your product. It's just who to contact and what to say...I can't help you out there, as I don't know any celebs and I really don't care about the world of famous folk so I wouldn't know who would be interested.

#10 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

I do not believe there is any logical reason to seek celebrity support of anything. Any cause that cannot stand on its own merits is not a worthy cause. If credible well-known people choose to speak out in favor of something, that's great. But if a small controversial cause reaches out to celebrities for celebrity's sake, that's kind of pathetic. Many causes have actually been hurt by affiliation with air-head celebrities. It's not as though ideas have no substance, or advocates no self-worth, unless a celebrity believes them. Sheeesh!

#11 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

From a PR perspective, it would be the height of stupidity for a celebrity to strongly align himself to the prospect of immortality at the moment

why would it be stupid for a celebrity to 'strongly align himself' with immortaltiy?

#12 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

How about a political celebrity... say a former President?

http://sciam.com/art...&modsrc=reuters

• Lurker

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

I strongly believe that getting Celebrities to support life extension is one of the best ways to spread awareness on a global scale. We all know that the masses don't look up to Scientists and Engineers for inspiration. The average person cares more about what their favorite celebrities are doing than what is going on in some Science lab.

Lately, Charity has become the new Fashion. Of course, Giving to Charity is Good but I feel Charities do nothing more than temporarily ameliorate the problem. I feel they are not looking at the root cause for all this distress.

Let me bring out a few examples here. On one side is the uber-rich Businessman (Warren Buffett, Bill Gates). These are the guys who are just throwing money at charities (in Billions) when something like the MPrize is not even close to 10 Million even after so many donations from various people. The other major category are Celebrities such as Angelina Jolie, Bono, Sean Penn, Richard Gere and almost any movie star or band. These people won't throw their own money (although some of them do), but they help with raising money and raising awareness. Consider Angelina Jolie, every one of her crazy antics such as wanting to fly a plane herself to deliver supplies was covered in great detail by the media and press.

Just imagine Anti-aging research getting the kind of attention that AIDS, Poverty and Global Warming is getting. I still think this can be made to happen. All we need to do is get famous people to attend conferences. Nothing else. Their presense alone will cause a huge stir. People all over the world will suddenly start wondering what's going on.

I suggest that we make a list of all the people who would be useful allies in spreading awareness about Life Extension Research. But, I feel we should be careful not to involve silly pop idols who might be detrimental to the cause. Also, I think the word "immortality" should be replaced as much as possible with "Life Extension" to make it sound less self-indulgent. Below are names of a few people I think will be useful in spreading awareness. It will be great if we could get them to attend conferences like Transvision 2007.

Politicians:
Bill Clinton, Senator John McCain, Barack Obama and other possible presidential candidates

FilmMakers:
James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis, George Lucas, Steven Soderbergh and many more....

Entertainers:
David Bowie, William Shatner, George Clooney, Tom Hanks ...

Businessmen:
Bill Gates

Scientists:
Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Martin Rees......

The Media will do its "thing" which is make a lot of noise, and they won't dare insult something that so many important people seem to think important. But what they WILL do is talk about it and write about it endlessly which, if sustained long enough will allow these ideas to seep into society and culture. This will also eliminate whatever "silliness" is left in the matter and catapult the issue into "dead-serious" territory. (Ha ha, dead-serious, get it?). Hopefully it will also eliminate some of those ridiculous arguments people make against life extension such as that banal boredom argument.

The world needs to know that there is a more realistic alternative to the comfort provided by religion. People like Richard Dawkins are doing their part to reveal the dangers posed by organized religion. But, they don't give people a proper alternative and this can cause a lot of fear and anxiety in people's minds. Now would be the perfect time to enlighten people about life extension research before they fall back into the hands of priests.

So, to conclude, I'd like to state again that I think it's vital that we establish a certain dialog with Famous and Influential people and get them to participate in Conferences and debates involving Life Extension. This itself will be enough to bring these issues into the public spotlight.

Edited by sanjay_sreehari, 08 May 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#14 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

But, I feel we should be careful not to involve silly pop idols who might be detrimental to the cause.

Then why did you name so many?

The Media will do its "thing" which is make a lot of noise, and they won't dare insult something that so many important people seem to think important.

Really? People important to whom for what? Entertainment? If you haven't noticed, devotion to kooky causes, like saving toilet paper, is part of what makes entertainers entertaining.

But what they WILL do is talk about it and write about it endlessly which, if sustained long enough will allow these ideas to seep into society and culture. This will also eliminate whatever "silliness" is left in the matter and catapult the issue into "dead-serious" territory.

You mean like the way people take Sc**ntology seriously after Kirsty Alley and Tom Cruise?

You need scientists, businessmen, and policy makers to take interventive gerontology seriously, not celebrities for the sake of celebrity. The any-publicity-is-good-publicity doctrine may work for celebrities, but it doesn't work for science. Target credible opinion makers, not entertainers.

• Lurker

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

bgwowk,

When I refer to silly pop idols i'm talking about people like Britney Spears. Do you really think that politicians such as Bill Clinton come under the category of "Silly Pop Idol" ?? And what about people like James Cameron and Steven Spielberg? These are key figures in Cinema History! Can you even think of them as Silly Pop Idols???? These men have done more for science fiction and cinema than 100 other artists put together.

I never said that Scientists should stop taking these issues seriously. We're talking about What else can be done to spread awareness here. So, please don't compare Life Extension with Scientology and other "kooky causes".

Edited by sanjay_sreehari, 08 May 2007 - 09:36 PM.

#16 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

why would it be stupid for a celebrity to 'strongly align himself' with immortaltiy?

There are entirely too many factors going into play in a situation like this. The fact that the person is a celebrity doesn't have any positive affect and it usually has a negative affect from some viewpoints. You have a very slim chance of the alignment being a benefit to both the celebrity and the cause. More often than not it's going to hurt the celebrity or the cause, and many times both. Like bgwowk said, any credible idea shouldn't need celebrity backing.

#17 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

And what about people like James Cameron and Steven Spielberg? These are key figures in Cinema History! Can you even think of them as Silly Pop Idols???? These men have done more for science fiction and cinema than 100 other artists put together.

The key words in this section are "science fiction".

#18 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

So, please don't compare Life Extension with Scientology and other "kooky causes".

How can causes be kooky if celebrity entertainers support them? I thought entertainer support was to be an antidote to kookiness?

#19 solbanger

• 215 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

So, please don't compare Life Extension with Scientology and other "kooky causes".

How can causes be kooky if celebrity entertainers support them? I thought entertainer support was to be an antidote to kookiness?

It could go either way really. Most of the time celebrities donate their time to causes that are well established and the media doesn't jump on it. But if the cause is fringe or exclusive to the hyper elite and then the celebrity speaks out about their personal feelings they risk making themselves appear like drug drained nincompoops who have just replaced their drug of choice with a consequence-free obsession. Tom Cruise is the red banner for this kind of phenomenon. Though sometimes I believed that the celebrity's case was a legitimate concern, for instance Charlie Sheen was given the kook award by late night talk TV for reflecting on his suspicions about a conspiracy behind 9/11. I don't think he deserved that kind of treatment, or Rosie O'Donnell for that matter when she spoke about it too. I think that the criticism was generated by mostly right wing media groups for their own agenda, they tried to do the same thing to Michael J. Fox when he encouraged stem cell research. Remember, a couple politicians claimed that he was faking his shaking to gain sympathy?! To a lesser degree Nancy Regean was given the wet blanket treatment too when she began sponsoring stem cells.

I think life extention needs a fundraiser group. Most of the major causes have fundraisers, cancer, diabetes, heart and lung have walk-a-thons all the time. Wouldn't it be great to get a celebrity on a walk-a-thon for life extension? People would contribute money just to see the guy/girl walk around for an hour. I don't think life extension has any worries of rogue spokespeople deteriorating its image. We need to actually have a philanthropic committee of some sort first. Of course you never know what kind of fantasy prone Hollywoodite might latch onto the cause. The worst case scenario would have be like Jane Fonda who visited a Vietnamese camp in the 70s to apologize to the Viet cong, then berated the POWs she met there!

Edited by solbanger, 10 May 2007 - 05:14 PM.

#20 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:49 AM

I think that's a reasonable perspective. I just don't want to see life extension advocates chase celebrities based on a naive belief that any publicity is good publicity. There are plenty of causes with lots of publicity and no credibility at all. For aging intervention to not go that route, celebrity support has to go hand-in-hand with backing by scientific authorities and policy makers.

#21 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

I think that's a reasonable perspective.  I just don't want to see life extension advocates chase celebrities based on a naive belief that any publicity is good publicity.  There are plenty of causes with lots of publicity and no credibility at all.  For aging intervention to not go that route, celebrity support has to go hand-in-hand with backing by scientific authorities and policy makers.

I completely agree on that last point. There is an organisation here in Britain called Sense about Science http://www.senseabou...te/project/132/ which made a response to the fact that celebrities tend to say some awfully stupid, inaccurate things about scientific principles they don't fully understand. There is a danger anyone aligning with our cause could do the same and make a laughing stock of Imminst.

Maybe more promotion from within (whatever happened to the poster campaign we were supposed to be having?) would be a better focus.

#22 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

I agree with Sanjay I think any publicity at this point would be good publicity. I think once we get celebrity attention than the general public will start waking up to our ideas. Getting someone like Bill Gates would be amazing to our cause. We should start writing letters to these people and start spreading the meme.

• Lurker

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

Devon,

I'd like to clarify one thing, I don't think any publicity is good publicity. I do share some of the fears that others have expressed about getting Famous people involved but I also don't think it's right to completely disown the idea. Would it really be so bad if someone like Bill Gates or Steven Spielberg is seated among the attendees at the next Imminst Meeting or Transvision 2007 ? Filmmakers like Spielberg routinely make around $30 Million per film. Would it be wrong if he attended one of these conferences and decided to participate in the MPrize? That's the kind of publicity that I'm talking about. I feel this kind of thing requires some cunning and intricate planning, if I may say so.

#24 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:03 AM

I take back that remark and agree with you that it should take intricate planning, I think it would be wonderful to have a Stephen Spielberg in attendance for a transvision meeting, we should carefully think out what to write to these people.

#25 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

Would it really be so bad if someone like Bill Gates or Steven Spielberg is seated among the attendees at the next Imminst Meeting or Transvision 2007 ?

Speaking of Transvision 2007, for those not aware of it:

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--WHO: The World Transhumanist Association (WTA) is hosting its ninth annual TransVision conference, a leading international gathering of science, technology and policy leaders, and will hold this year’s event at Chicago’s Fairmont Hotel from July 23 - 26, 2007. This year’s theme is “Transhumanity Saving Humanity: Inner Space to Outer Space” with keynotes by internationally renowned visionaries William Shatner, Emmy award winning actor, environmentalist; Ed Begley Jr., actor and environmentalist; Ray Kurzweil, inventor, author and futurist; and Aubrey de Grey, acclaimed longevity scientist.

• Lurker

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

This year’s theme is “Transhumanity Saving Humanity: Inner Space to Outer Space” with keynotes by internationally renowned visionaries William Shatner, Emmy award winning actor, environmentalist; Ed Begley Jr., actor and environmentalist.

Yeah, exactly. I think it's a step in the right direction. But, William Shatner and Ed Begley are people with little or no "pull" in the industry. My suggestion is that we aim much higher the next time. There are some very famous highly respected people who could open a lot of doors for Life Extension Research but most of them have focused their attention on traditional Charities. I'm sure most of them are good people who genuinely want to help. And no doubt that their sympathy and concern is heartfelt, but they are looking at the problem superficially. Their efforts are mis-guided. It's Maslow's Hirarchy of needs. When people reach the top, they don't know what to do with their money. They're looking for meaning in their lives. And the only way they think they can help is by using their celebrity status. They are just not aware of other possibilities. If at some point in time, supporting Life extension research was slowly made to look like the "right thing to do", everybody would be doing it. They would be lining up to lend their support.

But that Stage is still far away. Again, I suggest we all collaborate on a list of names of people who should be invited to Life Extension related events. It's probably too late to do anything for Trans'07 but what about Transvision 2008, the next Singularity Summit or even the next Immortality Institute meeting ? Most of these (highly respected + famous) people plan a year in advance, so we should ask them a year in advance! And the most effective way to invite them is to personally meet them and hand them the invitation so that we could explain what it's all about and answer their queries.

Just think about it for a minute, suppose we have 20 names on the list. We could divide ourselves into groups of 2 to 3 members, each group takes a portion of the list, we make appointments and go invite them. Even if we fail badly to convince most of them to attend the conference, we might still end up getting 3 or 4 high-profile people to agree to attend. Further, if they are interested, they could even present a talk at the conference.

What do you guys think? Good, bad or Ugly?

#27 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

William Shatner's a pretty big celebrity why don't you think he has any pull in the industry? Should we write letters? What should be the next step in this process?

#28 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Cold contacting entertainers to support small controversial causes just makes cause supporters look foolish. Please don't do it. Celebrity endorsements are best secured by personal contacts, such as a cause supporter who knows someone who knows someone with an preexisting interest, or at least philosophical compatibility, with the cause.

#29 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Cold contacting entertainers to support small controversial causes just makes cause supporters look foolish.  Please don't do it.  Celebrity endorsements are best secured by personal contacts, such as a cause supporter who knows someone who knows someone with an preexisting interest, or at least philosophical compatibility, with the cause.

Exactly. You can't just go about sending random letters to celebrities. They probably get letters all the time for all kinds of nutty stuff. (In fact, they probably don't even read their own letters, and have someone filter through them for them.)

• Lurker

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

William Shatner's a pretty big celebrity why don't you think he has any pull in the industry?

I just don't think he is someone who can make things happen on a grand scale that's all. The first step would be to work on the list. But before that, let's just wait and see what everybody has to say about this. 'bgwowk' and several others have made it clear that they think it's a really bad idea. So maybe they have experienced these things first hand and know what they are talking about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users