Photo
- - - - -

Falsifying the Atkins Diet hypotheses

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:32 PM

I read somewhere that Ray Kurzweil is on this diet....

Excerpt

Atkins diet risk
By Jenny Hope and Anna Patty
August 14, 2003

THE hugely popular Atkins Diet is medically unsound and a major health risk, nutrition experts in Britain and Australia said yesterday.

Renee Zellweger is one of a host of stars who have tried the diet.

The high-protein, high-fat diet followed by stars including Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jennifer Aniston, Geri Halliwell and Renee Zellweger was a giant experiment that could have disastrous effects for millions, they said.

The diet puts extra stress on the kidneys, which can lead to kidney stones and more serious damage – particularly for those with pre-existing problems of which they might be unaware. There is also a fear of bone problems because the diet encourages the excretion of calcium.

http://www.news.com....255E401,00.html

#2 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 01:08 PM

The Atkins diet is a health risk assuming someone doesn't know what they are doing. High protein diets cannot hurt the kidneys unless you already have impaired kidney function. Even rats with 90% protein diets don't develop kidney problems. The main problem with high protein diets is acidosis and calcium loss. This can be remedied by supplementing with extra calcium and some other nutrients. And "high fat" does not necessitate "high saturated fat." What matters more than total amounts of fat is the ratio of various types of fat in the diet. Eating 100 g of quality fat with 15% saturated fat is infinitely healthier than eating 30 g with 40% SF, even though you're getting slightly less saturated fat in the second one. The doctor in that article has no idea what she's talking about, like so many others, sadly. I still don't think ketogenic diets are wise on a permanent basis, but the dangers are way overblown.

Just my 2 cents

David

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:51 AM

Link: http://www.reuters.c...storyID=3600141
Date: 10-13-03
Author: Deborah Cohen
Source: Reuters
Title: Low-Carb Could Spell Next Fast-Food Fight

Low-Carb Could Spell Next Fast-Food Fight
Sun October 12, 2003 05:55 PM ET
By Deborah Cohen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Jeff Endervelt's interest in low-carbohydrate foods began as a personal quest when he experimented with the Atkins diet and spin-offs that helped him shed 20 pounds.

As chief executive of Atlanta-based Blimpie International Inc., Endervelt saw a market worth pursuing when his customers started asking for submarine sandwiches on something other than white bread.

A sandwich shop called Blimpie's might seem an unlikely destination for dieters. It is now also the only national restaurant operator testing a separate menu targeted at the low-carb, high-protein eating craze.

The Blimpie Carb Counter Menu, launched this month in parts of New York's Long Island, offers 6-inch subs with fillings like roast beef and cheddar with wasabi dressing on seven-grain bread. The sandwiches, each with only 7 to 8.5 net carb grams and lacking the white flour eschewed by low-carb adherents, can be paired with a SoBe drink and Crunchers chips from Atkins Nutritionals Inc.

While only a small minority of Americans are following low-carb, high-protein style diets, experts say interest is growing exponentially. Dedicated fare is cropping up in corner delis and unlikely spots like mass retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc. . Last week H.J. Heinz Co. even introduced a low-carb ketchup made with less sugar.

"I didn't do a formal study, but I think I've known enough about the Atkins diet and the South Beach diet to know this is a wave that's coming," Endervelt told Reuters. "This is a diet that's been around for a long time. But it has caught on."

Endervelt expects to take his low-carb menu items into some 1,650 Blimpie stores nationally.

Similar experiments are turning up in California, a leader in eating trends. The private Irvine-based In-N-Out Burger caters to low-carb dieters with a bunless burger wrapped in lettuce.

Italian eatery Pasta Pomodoro Inc., another closely held West Coast chain, is selling a variety of dishes made with whole wheat or low-gluten, high-protein pastas. Wendy's International Inc., the No. 3 U.S. hamburger chain, owns 25 percent of the company.

"Every significant restaurant chain is deeply aware of the low-carb demand of its customers," said Dean Rotbart, executive editor of LowCarbiz, an Internet newsletter. But the trend is still in its infancy, he said, and bigger chains have been reluctant to join in.

Instead, in the face of rising U.S. obesity rates and threats of litigation blaming the food industry, big restaurant companies have focused on returning to more traditional health-oriented offerings such as the meal-size salads that have helped reverse McDonald's Corp.'s sagging U.S. sales in recent months.

And Blimpie's larger privately held rival Subway Restaurants has seen great success with the ad campaign featuring Jared Fogle, who said he lost 225 pounds on a steady diet of low-fat sandwiches.

UNTESTED WATERS

McDonald's, the largest restaurant company, this week tested the low-carb waters. It said it will help customers customize burgers and other foods on its fast-food menu within three dieting styles -- low fat, low calorie, and yes, low carb. The plan, dubbed "Real Life Choices," is being introduced in parts of the greater New York area in January.

The hesitation to roll out dedicated low-carb menu offerings may stem from concern about the safety of those diets. Many nutritionists still conform to the standard dietary guidelines outlined in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's food pyramid, whose base is carbohydrates. They question the stricter phases of diets like Atkins, which recommend ample quantities of protein in the form of red meat, butter and other fatty foods, in lieu of breads and starches.

"There are bits and pieces of truth in these high-protein, low-carb diets," said Samantha Heller, a nutritionist with New York University Medical Center. "It's very difficult for people to distill the difference between the truth and twist."

To date, only about 1 percent of the total U.S. population is following a low-carb diet, according to The NPD Group, a market research firm that tracks food trends.

Little research exists on the size of the market for low-carb foods. Matthew Wiant, chief marketing officer of Atkins Nutritionals Inc., estimates the amount of such products sold at retail, excluding restaurants, is roughly $2 billion, a tiny slice of America's food budget.

Wendy's, while a stakeholder in Pasta Pomodoro, said it has no immediate plans to introduce low-carb items into the menu at its mainstay stores.

"It's certainly a trend that we're well aware of," said company spokesman Bob Bertini.

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 07:54 AM

about time...

#5 David

• 618 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:01 AM

It sure is interesting, I myself didn't have trouble eating carbs until I got older. (35+) I stopped eating it because it makes me uncomfortable, swollen and groggy [angry] . I still have some to allay my carb cravings, but find a couple of slices of bread seems to do the trick per day, as opposed to the half a loaf with butter and honey I used to consume after dinner. Sure do miss the honey though... Still, she should be home soon! [lol]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 07:57 PM

I am not even sure what the true Atkins diet guidelines are, but I have heard enough bad things about sugar and the empty carbs of rice, noodles, and white bread to quit eating them (except as a treat, of course).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users