• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Google TechTalks: Aubrey de Grey

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

This is the recent (just a few days ago) Google TechTalk given by Aubrey de Grey, PhD. entitled "Prospects for extending healthy life - a lot"

http://video.google....766938711591377

Edited by Live Forever, 05 June 2007 - 11:54 PM.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

Susan and I had the pleasure of attending Aubrey's Google talk... packed house, receptive audience... great fun!

#3 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

Bruce, how many people would you estimate were in the audience for it?

I always wonder how many people are out there because on all the TechTalks I have watched in the past, the camera never pans to the audience, so you can never get a good idea.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

I always wonder how many people are out there because on all the TechTalks I have watched in the past, the camera never pans to the audience, so you can never get a good idea.

Check out the vid at 56 minutes. It shows the crowd.

• Lurker

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

Nice lecture!

#6 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

Nice lecture!

Definitely. Both de Grey and Goertzel did a great job. Their presentations get better and better with time.

Goertzel's is in this thread:
http://www.imminst.o...&t=16289&hl=&s=

#7 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:14 PM

I really enjoy the way that Aubrey went into a lot of detail about the SENS approach they are funding/currently working on. I suppose it is because he had a lot more time than he usually does in his lectures, but it was really interesting the way he explained everything. I hope that the "level 4" in terms of funding he needs is just around the corner.

Edited by Live Forever, 03 June 2007 - 04:28 PM.

#8 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

Check out the vid at 56 minutes. It shows the crowd.

Haha, I was just about to say something about that. I just got to that part in the video.

#9 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

An excellent presentation.

#10 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

It's a bit crackly on my speakers, but I've noticed the deGrey's voice is naturally gravely.

This is good evidence, again, that we need to speed our efforts.

Regarding the question "what can I take to increase my lifespan", I thought there was good opportunity to suggest (in a non-joking matter) that people need to figure out individual ways of speeding the development of escape velocity. I know that for most people, money is easiest for them to contribute to aging research - but I think there are general things we can do in our society to increase the rate of our technological advancement and scientific literacy.

#11 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for posting it, wonderful perk of being an ImmInst member! I get to play great videos on the right side of my screen, while I work on my left :)

I think Aubrey will get his funding, he never looses his energy and enthusiasm!

#12 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:22 AM

That was great to watch. I learnt quite a lot more about what Aubrey is up to.

#13 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

Somewhere around two hundred. Juxtaposed to this, John Edwards (Pres candidate) spoke a day later and packed Google's larger conference room w/ more than one thousand. At current, Google has around 12,000 employees... but they are scattered across many offices world-wide.

#14 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

That was great to watch. I learnt quite a lot more about what Aubrey is up to.

I felt the same way. It seemed like he went into a lot more detail than I had seen him go into in the past on the approaches he was overseeing.

#15 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

What did everyone think, while Aubrey was answering one of the questions, that he suggests there really is nothing in supplemental form that can slow down aging?

#16 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

What did everyone think, while Aubrey was answering one of the questions, that he suggests there really is nothing in supplemental form that can slow down aging?

He's correct. There are no supplements proven to make an appreciable increase in human longevity.

#17 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, you might slightly increase your lifespan if you did everything exactly right, but compared to the stuff he is working on it is so minute not even to be a blip on the radar.

#18 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

There are hoards of people, though, who might benefit in the most final way from those token efforts. Getting the HDL up, for example, might not be so important for someone currently in their 20s, but might make all the difference for someone in their sixties.

• Lurker

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

I feel sorry for all those who won't benefit and all those who're already lost :(
And so annoying the goverments are preventing it (by not helping it)

#20 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

There are hoards of people, though, who might benefit in the most final way from those token efforts.  Getting the HDL up, for example, might not be so important for someone currently in their 20s, but might make all the difference for someone in their sixties.

True, my dad is on cholesterol meds. (Lipitor or something similar I think) I was talking less about meds than supplements. Beyond taking meds for cholesterol (or other things that you might have wrong, like diabetes or whatever) and maybe even a multivitamin, the amount of gains you get from taking supplements is going to be far outweighed by "true" anti aging therapies being developed by Aubrey and others in the field. Pushing that research forward, even only slightly, would be a much better bet, imo, than focusing so heavily on supps.

#21 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:51 PM

Reason posted about the presentation over at fightaging.org, for anyone interested in reading it:
http://www.fightagin...ives/001233.php

#22 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:53 AM

He also did a talk on WILT at Google, June 29 2007:
http://video.google....earch&plindex=9

#23 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

Oh sweet. Thanks for the link, Chris.