• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:00 AM

WOT!!?? Tobacco isn't safe?

shhhh seecuhrait [":)]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

What about high levels of aspartic acid in the blood?  I know it's a natural amino acid but some studies have shown dangerous levels of this amino acid after consuming aspartame.  I've also heard of studies saying aspartic acid levels are safe after consuming aspartame so I really don't know.

From what I read, the decomposition products of aspartame are :
- methanol : But not much. The methanol content of fruit juice is 4 to 6 times higher
- aspartic acid : do not cross the blood-brain barrier and is eliminated by respiration
- phenylalanine : can cross the blood-brain barrier in competition with tryptophan. Thus, more will reach the brain if aspartame is drinked without food with proteins. But should not be a concern except if you have phenylketonuria.

#34 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

http://www.rense.com...eral78/swet.htm

Check this out.

#35 ironchet

• 66 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:37 PM

What about high levels of aspartic acid in the blood?  I know it's a natural amino acid but some studies have shown dangerous levels of this amino acid after consuming aspartame.  I've also heard of studies saying aspartic acid levels are safe after consuming aspartame so I really don't know.

From what I read, the decomposition products of aspartame are :
- methanol : But not much. The methanol content of fruit juice is 4 to 6 times higher
- aspartic acid : do not cross the blood-brain barrier and is eliminated by respiration
- phenylalanine : can cross the blood-brain barrier in competition with tryptophan. Thus, more will reach the brain if aspartame is drinked without food with proteins. But should not be a concern except if you have phenylketonuria.

Phenylalanine should be a concern since it competes with tryptophan, a precursor to serotonin. Excess aspartame use or daily use would deplete your serotonin level. This can lead to mood problems or depression. It also explains why people who consume diet sodas with aspartame end up craving more sugar and carbs.

Isn't the blood brain barrier of children not fully developed in all areas of the brain thus allowing aspartic acid to seep in to cause damage to neurons?

#36 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

http://www.rense.com...eral78/swet.htm

Check this out.

How many of you trust the good ole U.S. Food and Drug Administration? They are just like any other branch of the gov't---->corrupt!!!

Hell, I bet aspartame indirectly skyrocketed the sale of prescription anti-depressant drugs! Think about that for a minute.

#37 geost

• 118 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:05 PM

Mike Adams weighs in on that "new" study http://www.newstarget.com/022032.html

I use xylitol myself. Seems to have stopped my tooth decay.

#38 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

Luv2increase: {wink} on the aspartame-SSRI connection.
There's this idea I had which would be to create a timeline of pervasive diet fads starting at least as far back as WW2. Plenty of people followed things like "Lo"-fat and "Sugar"-free diets almost religiously on a daily basis for years resulting strong physiological impression. Think of it as a timeline for "sequential tempering" of certain sectors of the "willing" public. It would be smart to apply then how this sequence of imbalanced diets effects the body in terms of Wu Xing, aka Five Element Theory. Feel free to look it up on Wikipedia and here:
http://www.yinyangho...utrition_theory

Just outright, by replacing most fats with increased salt and sugar (as most foods labeled "Lo-fat" were concocted) along with adding in a heavy habit of aspartame-liquids....oooh.....excess sugar creates mucus in the body which stagnates energy flow throughout the body while excess salt causes a descending of energy (away from head) while "holding" onto body water which also in its own way causes further energy stagnation....that alone would cause Depression (big 'D' means both the 'Western Disease', and the 'Basis-of-Reality Symptom'). Then excitotoxicity laid on top of that would basically be rocket fuel for imbalanced emotions and the decay of memory. "The mind is a mirror of the body and vice versa." The excitoxicity would burn the "body state" into the "mind state" for long-lasting effects. And not only would it do this to say the first-order consumers but it would pass it on to their children by causing either gene mutation(in parents and to the developing fetus during gestation) or passing on a regressive, depleted Jing foundation, choose your paradigm. Either way you look at it, the children of parents living during the last two and a half decades that partook extensively in many of these fad diets have had their ceiling of personal development ratcheted down permanently.

It still blows my mind how people drink "Diet Soda" as a dietary adjunct... or claim that they actually like the taste. I had an unfortunate happenstance with butterchip pickles sweetened with aspartame....let me tell you it has to be the most egregiously voluminous aftertaste one can experience after consuming a tunasalad lettucewrap.

Edited by liplex, 15 September 2007 - 06:27 PM.

#39 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:39 PM

When I was younger, I had the fantastic j/k opportunity of working in a fast-food restaurant. My mind was blown away by all the fat, obese, and morbidly obese people ordering large diet sodas along with burgers and fries and everything else fattening that you can think of. Apparently, the diet soda wasn't working too well. Also, it may have inclined them to think they can pig out on whatever else because of the diet soda.

One word---> ironic

I'm thinking that aspartame may be the cause of all the obese people in the U.S. now??? Come to think of it, ever since diet pop came on the scene, our country became fatter???

That same one word---> ironic

I know this may come out as being a little like a conspiracy theory, but out of all the conspiracy theories, there has to be at least some truth to at least one of them you'd think.

#40 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

"Melt away the fat with a Diet-Inducing Tonic"....?
Even if you point out that Diet Sodas don't actually cause weight loss, and they agree, they still go on sucking it down. I think that's called...stupidity, or nonono, let's be kind and call it toxicity-induced denial. You think they would stop after they gained 20 pounds on the stuff.

Edited by liplex, 17 September 2007 - 10:22 AM.

#41 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

I strongly agree with your views in this respect luv. Unhealthy people are a business, and a very profitable one at that.

• Lurker

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

In my perusal of currently available torrents I ran across the following video. It came with a pdf file "Aspartame - Ecologist (Sep 2005).pdf" which is basically a detailed time-line of Aspartame actions by companies, the FDA and independent researchers. Interesting that about 70 corporate funded studies found no dangers and more than 80% of about 90 independent research studies found dangers. I use microtorrent for downloading torrent facilitated files and the small search utility "Bit Che," available via most freeware dispensing sites to search for specific torrent files.
"Aspartame - The Great Dumbing Down" 10 min.

I found at least parts of the following videos allows one to fill in the big picture.

Here is a report of a study released in June of 2007
"Aspartame Danger" 2 mins. 20 secs.

"the truth about aspartame - Dr Russell Blaylock" Sep. 2007, 5 mins.

"Rumsfeld and Relativism = Aspartame" Nov. 2006, 7 mins.
Note that one of the first executive orders of Reagen is alleged to have been to remove FDA commissioner's power to take action apparently to prevent Aspartame dissaproval

"aspartame poisoning from chewing gum" 'and so she turned to the web'

Here is the 1 hr. 30 min. documentary "Sweet Misery - A Poisoned World"
posted on Google videos May 2007, you can get the AVI file via searching with Bit Che easily.
It has been viewed by about 3,000 people and received about a 90% approval rating.

#43 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

I think a lot of the anecdotal problems people report when using Aspartame are mostly psychological problems that already existed. Aspartame is probably safe, especially at the doses humans get. I've never noticed ANY negative effect that I can pin down to a sweetener.

This has always been my assumption, even with the previous thought that it was marginally harmful. I figured that unless someone drank 20 diet cokes a day for 30 years, there couldn't possibly be even a fraction of the aspartame amounts needed to have a negative effect on humans in moderate dosages (say 1 diet coke a day).

• Lurker

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

Here is that 2005 Ecologist article online, http://www.wnho.net/...tame_report.htm

JULY 2005
The Ramizzini Institute in Bologna, a non-profit, private institution set up to research the causes of cancer, releases the results of a very large, long-term animal study into aspartame ingestion. Its study shows that aspartame causes lymphomas and leukaemia in female animals fed aspartame at doses around 20 milligrams per kilogram of body weight, or around half the accepted daily intake for humans.

This stuff is in tooth pastes, gum, drinks, candy and mouthwash. There is no assurance that people will not get a damaging dose with all of these taken togethor. I see suggestion that as few as two diet drinks a day can lead to complications and that the susceptibility of a person varies.

#45 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

Even if aspartame is safe, 98% of the food it's used in, such as diet sodas, are unsafe for other reasons, such as food colorings and other additives. Seeing aspartame in the ingredients list is a convenient warning indicator that the food is overly processed crap by some corporation that will never shed a tear about your deteriorating health.
  • like x 1

#46 gavrilov

• 341 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

"What NOT to Eat
Aspartame is a nun-nutritive sweetener. Although it appears fairly safe, there are reports of headache, migraine aura, dizziness, confusion, and possibly depressive symptoms related to its use. One double-blind study in childhood epilepsy patients documented a statistically significant increase in seizure duration/frequency. Well-documented instances of thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) and Sjogren's syndrome related to aspartame consumption appear in the medical literature. For these reasons, I would recommend avoiding its use."

Source:

The Brain Trust Program: A Scientifically Based Three-Part Plan to Improve Memory, Elevate Mood, Enhance Attention, Alleviate Migraine and Menopausal Symptoms, and Boost Mental Energy
by Larry McCleary, M.D.
http://tinyurl.com/2t6jcv
see page 84 there.

Hope it helps,

-- Leonid Gavrilov, Ph.D.
Blog: http://longevity-science.blogspot.com/
My books: http://longevity-sci....org/Books.html

#47 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

I am not on the "aspartame is poison" bandwagon, but I do agree with Duke. Most of the products that contain aspartame are not really high on the list of healthy foods.

However, for people who have a sweet tooth, I think years of gorging themselves on on high sugar treats would do just as much or greater harm than consuming "sugar-free" foods with aspartame. Other solutions would be to use stevia or slpenda, but then these are a lot more expensive than aspartame. Saccharin is another option but a lot of people are still freaked out about old cancer studies that were rather inconclusive.

The other option is to give up or severely restrict sweets from your diet. The least popular option.

• Lurker

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Here is the write up of the original 2005 Italian study: http://presidiotex.c...e/Soffritti.pdf

Here is a news report of the same research team apparently releasing data of a newer study last year with much the same conclusions: http://www.smh.com.a...2623862983.html . It contains the spin of the FDA more than any of the particulars of the study. It would be great to see the original data for that one if any one comes across it, post a link.

The executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest advises to avoid aspartame as reported in that last link.

I sure do like xylitol. It has basically stopped my tooth decay and my two kids got their first no-cavities check up at the dentist last time.

#49 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:42 AM

Incredulous is the word. Hard to believe that any enlightened souls
would defend aspartame in this day and age.

20 years ago, while I was just a young and ignorant college student, I used
to gulp down that diet soda. It took a while for me to see what was causing the pain - the brain pain, the nerve pain, the little popping bubbles I would see. I was sick and that stuff is toxic.

#50 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

to gulp down that diet soda. It took a while for me to see what was causing the pain - the brain pain, the nerve pain, the little popping bubbles I would see. I was sick and that stuff is toxic.

Hmm, you're lucky, you see at my uni, if you don't cite any references they throw you out. Where did you go? Dreamland University?

#51 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Nothing wrong with a bit of aspartame :-) It did extend the lifespan of female mice in a study a little while ago... just a bit .... :)

So soooo toxic that it extends life??? hehe

Edited by Matt, 14 September 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#52 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

Checkbook research can prove/disprove anything.

When I would consume Aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal) in the past, it would cause mild headaches, bodyaches, blurred vision w/ "bubbles", mild disruption in cognitive function.

#53 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

Checkbook research can prove/disprove anything.

When I would consume Aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal) in the past, it would cause mild headaches, bodyaches, blurred vision w/ "bubbles", mild disruption in cognitive function.

yeah, but you feel all kinds of things from supplements that other people don't feel, so I'm not sure that means much for most people.

#54 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

Johann.... they were looking if aspartame caused high rates of cancer by feeding very high doses... this is what the study was set out to do.... only in the end it seemed there was no effect on survival, and even a little extension of lifespan for female mice was seen in the highest aspartame group. They didn't set out to prove that aspartame increases average lifespan.

the whole aspartame issue is a load of nonsense... sorry. I leave this thread now :)

#55 Mortuorum

• 91 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

Dr Russell Blaylock Nutrition and Behavior: Aspartame, MSG, etc. Food Allergies Affecting Brain Functioning, Inciting a Plethora of Subclinical Manifest Symptoms is a Highly Relevant Aspect of this Lecture, Explains Much Emotional, Cognitive, Neurological Impairments and Pathologies often Discussed, Manifest, Complained about upon these Forums and Wrongfully Combated with So MANY Toxic and Ultimately Deleterious and Ineffectual Pharmaceuticals...............

Edited by Mortuorum, 18 September 2009 - 05:33 AM.

#56 SpawnMoreOverlords

• 58 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:21 AM

thanks for linking that video! really puts a lot of stuff together. (especially for the "uninitiated ones")

#57 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Blaylock and Mercola vs the Aspartame industry with paranoia, fear and loathing as their main weapons.

They seem to think it will make their careers. I want to know where the science is? The science I've seen seems to support the notion that aspartame is not toxic.

#58 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

thanks for linking that video! really puts a lot of stuff together. (especially for the "uninitiated ones")

You make it sound like you have a little cult of ignorance going on there. Cult on I say.

#59 SpawnMoreOverlords

• 58 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

You make it sound like you have a little cult of ignorance going on there. Cult on I say.

Ahh you sir are kind. The idea was to sneak in at least 10 min of this to a roommate of mine who's nutrition entirely consists of KD/pepsi' lol ( who constantly complains about lack of motivation, bad mood and frequent colds). linking a bunch of studies just doesn't do the trick for some reason.

#60 DAMABO

• 181 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

Hmm, you're lucky, you see at my uni, if you don't cite any references they throw you out. Where did you go? Dreamland University?

you're one of those guys that doesn't trust his senses, I see. if you get ill, and remove factors, and find out which is doing what, then I would know more about the substance than any research, since individual results do not generalize. furthermore, corporate or government funded science is usually one of omissions of data, turning things to their own advantage and interest. even if there is no corruption going on, there is still a thing like 'publication bias', which means that only significant results usually get published.
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users