Photo

Shannon Vyff on Oprah's Show

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:41 AM

So here is the story. We all know what can happen with interviews, such as Aubrey sadly not getting 'Good Morning America' recently. A year back I got an email saying 'Would you like to be interviewed about cryonics by Barbara Walters' and I said 'Yes!', within months it happened. A few days ago I received an email saying 'Would you like to be on Oprah Winfrey's T.V. show being interviewed about cryonics' and I said 'Yes!'

Oprah's producer called Alcor to talk with Jennifer about covering cryonics in an upcoming show, and wanting a 'cryonicist mom' so I was thought of, and the offer came through. I of course was excited, and knew that it could go either way. Being interviewed by Barbara Walters, having my family including all three children flown in to talk with her, was one of the most fun things I've ever done! I'll always cherish my memories of the kids answers when Walters asked them questions about cryonics. (we watched documentaries about Barbara Walters, I read some of her 70's book to them, we watched Star Trek Next Gen with the cryoncisists in it, we had fun getting ready before hand--and talking about it afterwards--the whole thing was fun) Now, I told the kids that I might be on Oprah, but just like we talked about with Barbara Walters for what ever reason, the piece can be cut--producers come up with all sorts of ideas, and some don't make it. After a few days--this email came from Jennifer, and I thought I'd be giving the kids the 'Well it was fun' speech :) :

"I have gotten word from the producer that they decided to take the show in a slightly different direction and cryonics is no longer compatible with the show’s theme. It is still a possibility that their plans will change and cryonics will be included, but for now they are planning for the show to feature guests who are dying of a terminal illness and are reflecting back on their lives and life lessons. We have let them know that we may have some possible candidates for that theme, as well.

"It’s always possible that things could change quickly, and we’ll certainly keep you informed. Thanks, again, for all your encouragement and active support of the Alcor Foundation. It certainly was exciting to even be considered!"

but--within minutes of having sent that, another email came in, so I don't have to give the 'well it was fun' speech quite yet ;) :

"Shannon,

"No sooner did I send that email than I got a call from the producer. She said there is a strong possibility they will do a second show in December or January, this one to include cryonics and near-death experiences, etc. So, we've still got your name on the short list of interview candidates and will be in touch following the conference.

Jennifer"

So, I hope it goes through-- I do attend church, I teach religious education, I run a group to help moms learn about breastfeeding, I'm a Camp Fire volunteer, have three young children, wrote a pre-teen book featuring cryonics and transhumanist themes, have had two NDEs (in case they want to use me talking about those and how they influenced my views on cryonics), I've done cryonics interviews, I support the Methuselah Foundation, support many non-profits, feel we need more time to help with the world's problems--and if cryonics works people can do more good for their religion or beliefs in the future...to me cryonics is common sense, and although I know it will likely not work--the very real chance that it has of working makes me feel that I should share my views that it is an inexpensive and practical 'back up' to have. I've been told I'm a 'stereotype buster' for what a cryonicist is--but I know other cryonicist families, and know that cryonicists are 'regular' people from all walks of life. Aubrey thought I'd be good on the show, I'll support his book by mentioning it, (he very nicely sent me the power point for his presentation this weekend at Alcor :) I'll comment on his views about bio-gerontologists supporting cryonics, in the Sens thread) but really it would be great if they had him on a show about death and dying ;) Well, perhaps me being on Oprah will happen and perhaps not. I kinda thought people here at ImmInst would have fun telling me things to say ;) but also there are many founders and long time posters who I greatly revere--and I can always glean more sage advice and poignant talking points. (now I'm off to send info to a mom who is having her baby in the next few days! :) but as always, ImmInst is a great place to learn and share with like minded (mostly ;) ) people and like many others--I'll be checking in later so 'comment away'! ;) )

:) --Shannon

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:05 AM

Great news, Shannon!

Hope it comes through... thanks for letting us know.

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:25 AM

Yes that is indeed great news. Shannon I could think of a better role model. Once again that's great news. Congrats. Just don't go all Tom Cruise on us ok

#4 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

It's too bad they are apparently choosing to commingle cryonics with NDE nonsense rather than life extension. This could take their depiction of cryonics, and the audience's perception of it, in all kinds of unfortunate directions.

#5 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

Apparently the last time Oprah covered cryonics was 22 years ago.

http://www.alcor.org...ryonics8512.txt

A brief article mentioning us in USA TODAY resulted in a television
booking in Chicago for Mike Darwin to appear on the "Oprah Winfrey Show." 
Winfrey has the most popular talk show in Chicago -- she even beats out
Phil Donahue (Winfrey goes into national syndication in January).  After
seeing her in action it's easy to see why.  She's earthy (kicks off her
shoes when things heat up) and has an energy level gigahertz above
Donahue's.  The show was a lot of fun, and it also solved as mystery of
sorts. . .

When the editors of CRYONICS travelled to San Francisco recently, we
made a trip to Trans Time's facility in Emeryville.  We were refused entry
to the patient storage area and were told that there was "a suspension in
progress," but that we couldn't be told any of the details.  The American
Cryonics Society (ACS) and Trans Time meetings we attended that weekend
consisted almost as much of closed "executive sessions" (which we were
excluded from) as it did open meetings.  The mysterious "suspension" was in part the reason why.

Well, the Winfrey show let the cat out of the bag. . . literally.  It
seems Trans Time froze the deceased (deanimated?) cat of a Chicago woman
for the sum of $5,000.  The lady in question called in during the course of
the show with questions about ALCOR (and cryonics) and to let Winfrey and
the 1 million or so people listening know that she had frozen her cat for
$5,000.  Apparently her cat died and was shipped on ice via airfreight to
Trans Time where it was perfused by Paul Segall and Harry Waitz of
Biophysical Research and Development (the details of the perfusion are
being handled with Manhattan Project-style security).  That revelation made
the interview a little tougher (Winfrey is not brain-dead and knows when to
go for the blood) but still tolerable.  We think the tape would show that
Mike didn't miss a step, but he confesses that's one he wasn't expecting.

Of course, the question of the hour is:  Will all this media hype do us
any good?  One of us (Mike Darwin) has long been opposed to media exposure
of this kind and has been keeping a close eye on the benefits as well as
the liabilities of our PR campaign.  So far the media work has netted us
two suspension members (fully signed up with funding) and put several
strong candidates for suspension membership in the pipe.  Frankly, this
isn't bad for starts.  We know that it will take "repeated hits" with our
message before anyone seriously considers signing up.  We also are
beginning to believe that there may be some advantages to "consciousness
raising" among members of the public as a result of these stories. 
Nevertheless, it is hard to do these things.  It is hard to be treated like
a circus animal and to invest the tremendous amounts of time required --
with so little to show for it in the way of immediate benefits.

And still the media campaign marches on.  Hugh Hixon is scheduled to do
a live TV show in Philadelphia ("People Are Talking") and print and TV
reporters keep showing up here at ALCOR in waves, like so many whales
beaching themselves on the shores of immortality.  We've become convinced
that it is futile to try to really explain to them what we're doing.  We
can only bang on our pipes and herd them around with the songs they want to
hear and hope, that like poor Humphrey the Lost Whale, they'll eventually
find their way out of the narrow river of ignorance and into the wide ocean
of truth.

#6 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

It's too bad they are apparently choosing to commingle cryonics with NDE nonsense rather than life extension.  This could take their depiction of cryonics, and the audience's perception of it, in all kinds of unfortunate directions.

Well considering that for every one cryonics featured program on talk television (I have yet to seen one myself, although I watch little or no television at all) there are at least 10,000 talks on Extra Sensory Perception or other garbage like that, it's no surprise to me that cryonics would be a) too realistic for the demographic that watches these shows b) too offensive to their beliefs.

I think exposure is great, but for every person I've ever approached about the topic of Life-Extension/Cryonics, I generally get nothing but defensive, illogical retort, and excuses of why we must, or can't use any of it. I'd rather the people who are quick to pass judgment live with the results of their ignorance.

#7 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

Well, thanks all--and I like to talk to people because of the chance that it works. There is a popular insurance company running an ad in national magazines right now of a woman who's head you can see inside, inside her lightly drawn brain--she is having fun as a small drawing in her brain on the left and there as large body of water separating her from a small drawing of her on the right, labeled life insurance. The whole thing is designed to illustrate how people keep life insurance at the back of their head. I see stuff like that and feel that it is same with death, people know it is coming but it stays at the back of their head. My view is that with extra exposure in the media, more people can see cryonics as an option at death, better than burial or burning for the chance it gives them to do more good in the future.

The writing that was shared from 22 years ago, does seem a bit 'higher than though' I mean that piece is just unduly harsh IMO. When I talk about cryonics, the science if it--the cat brains, the kidneys--I say how I realized it had a chance. I don't think it will for sure work, in fact I think the chances are very low--with all that is going on in the world, and all the advancements that need to occur--I'd think if it happened, at the soonest it would be a thousand or more years. Even so Ice Man was frozen 5400 years ago, and his body, de-thawed and starting to de-compose, gave much of use to science --I'd hope my body could do the same some day if re-animation is someday known to be impossible. I'm fine with others having their own beliefs though, I deal with that all the time as a religious educator--I don't feel I'm better than them--if cryonics worked I would be sad that a lot of people weren't around, guilty even--but I also know that it might not work, so I do as much good as I can now (which is never enough IMO). It will be interesting indeed to see how the Oprah episode comes off, with me in it or not --I'm certainly starting to record her show to watch, just to see how its being run ;) and because I've liked Oprah since I watched her when I got home from highschool and my parents were still at work ;) after I was grown I realized how hard she worked to get where she is, and how much incredible good she has done (way more than I could ever hope to).

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

Congrats, Shannon. Hopefully it pans out! You would definitely do the topic justice if you were to be put on.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

Good luck getting on the show Shannon! You will be a great interview.

#10 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

Omg! Shannon might be on Oprah? Thats SO cool ... I can't wait to see it [lol]

#11 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

I don't know you as well as some of the others, but I think that's fabulous that you might be on Oprah. Be sure to keep us posted.

#12 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

I hope you get on there. You would be a great advocate and could probably break a lot of misconceptions. Plugging your book would work out nicely too. Win Win Win scenario.

#13 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:35 PM

We live in a screwed up world; Oprah gets to be more popular/known than Shannon!!!?
Anyways, congrats Shannon. One day I wish people like you take Oprah's throne.

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:18 AM

We live in a screwed up world; Oprah gets to be more popular/known than Shannon!!!?
Anyways, congrats Shannon. One day I wish people like you take Oprah's throne.

hah! she worked voraciously to get where she is, and she didn't have children young... but thanks, I'd love having a large platform for my views helping others, listening to others--yet with a heavy dose of anti-aging and social activism philosophy ;) but who wouldn't? Plus Oprah does a good job of espousing a positive outlook to the American public, on a variety of subjects--she is even handed and a strong advocate for equality (while balancing the bling that Americans want to see) She gives peoople 'feel good' thoughts for the day.

I'm hoping one of my kids will turn out to be super competitive (Oprah was when she was young) and work to accomplish way more than I ever did! Luckily I have a long life left, and can get more books out in my own plan to influence kids with my beliefs based on science, of how the world should be...

but you all have almost convinced me to copy and save this thread--it is quite fun! no one has asked me mention ImmInst yet! lol If I get on, I'll just go with the flow...I know many believe in an afterlife, so addressing the religious angle of how cryonics can enhance one's religious beliefs...

#15 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:20 AM

Sorry for undervaluing Oprah. Actually, I don't know much about her; I was just upset at that moment when I wrote what I wrote with the general public not paying much attention to stopping aging partly because of the media, including shows, is not doing a good job in that direction. So my point was that having people like you in the media hierarchy would change the world for good. Anyways, I wish you success there. Don't forget us!! [lol] and please don't tell Oprah that I don't like her! [sad]

#16 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:20 AM

Give a shout-out to Imminst ;-)

#17 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

Sorry for undervaluing Oprah.  Actually, I don't know much about her; I was just upset at that moment when I wrote what I wrote with the general public not paying much attention to stopping aging partly because of the media, including shows, is not doing a good job in that direction.  So my point was that having people like you in the media hierarchy would change the world for good.  Anyways, I wish you success there.    Don't forget us!! [lol]  and please don't tell Oprah that I don't like her! [sad]

lol, of course!

yeah, really this thread is Shannon Vyff on Oprah's Show--so I suppose I'm set to comment on her topics daily ;) now I normally wouldn't, but I'm interested in watching now because I might be on--so my comment of the day was that when she did a show on Marriage, she had a couple where the woman and man kept their last name, argued a bunch over what to do with the kid's names and finally decided to hyphenate both last names so the kids had one hyphenated last name. That is what I'm going to do with my future children, it has been a concern of mine, and I was happy to see that Oprah not only addressed that, but other problems that modern marriages have. The show's over-all message was that people can work through things, that love for each other and learning from past mistakes enables you to have true bliss. She had the stars of Tyler Perry's 'Why did I get Married' on. (I'd watched the screen play video version a year back, and know it is a powerful drama/comedy feel good in the end, feel like you've grown--sort of story) Janet Jackson is one of the stars (man does her plastic surgery look great!) she was on the show too. Oprah is warm and friendly. She talked about how it was just Tyler Perry's 38th birthday (he is a big guy and looks a bit older) this was a segue into his inspirational (for the viewers) story of how his mom called him in tears. He asked her why she was crying and he said, that she told him about how when he was 10 years old he'd pointed at a car in a magazine and told his mom he was going to buy that for her someday--and here she was with that car in the garage of the house he'd build for her. Oprah said 'Isn't it great to have all your dreams come true!" Janet Jackson said, "I still have some dreams" with her coy smile. So in all, the viewers got to hear some warm stories about the very rich, there was good humor--and the message of how to have fulfilling marriages for real.

And that was 'Shannon Vyff on Oprah' ;) --her show yesterday had Halle Berry talking about her pregnancy and new movie, before that she had transgendered people-their struggles and some of the science, before that was the one with Michael Moore-- the head of a Health Insurance company--a health insurance lobbyist--a European scholar--all talking about Sicko and what kind of health care system America needs. This is kind of fun, seeing what Oprah is focusing on, the good and the glitz... perhaps I'll be on in this years string of topics... but I can see why she has such a following. Also here is a link to a short biography of Oprah's rise:

http://www.achieveme.../page/win0bio-1

(ps: I was in O magazine for CR a few years ago--but being on her show about talking about cryonics will be more fun ;) )

#18 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

man, I realized I'd forgotten to mention a bunch of things Oprah's show has had the past few days I've been watching since I found out I might be on! The major one being the Men's Health with Dr. Oz, episode. You all would have liked it! They talked about aging a lot, but in regards to exercising mainly. They did say that in America the average man has sex one time a week, and that to live longer you must have sex 4 or more times a week! :) Dr. Oz said men lose 50% of their sexual pleasure nerves after circumcision (I'd only heard 34% or so before) he also said that about half of all boys born in the past decade are uncircumcised, I was happy to see such coverage on Oprah since she has one of the largest viewer-ships of any show in America (you all know she made 260 million for 07, she is the highest paid celebrity topping Tiger Woods and Madonna! http://www.allameric...y_earnings_list ) The show was 'men only' so men could ask Dr. Oz questions that they'd only ask their Dr., or should ask. Oprah and the guy's wives/partners sat in a different studio, and you got to see them laughing while watching the men-only episode. They encouraged men to get their prostates checked, and to learn how to do it themselves. Dr. Oz also explained how a man can break his penis (when it is hard, it can get broken--the side splits and it has to be surgically repaired in order to be functional in the future). So, I can see why Oprah's viewers keep tuning in, she keeps things varied and touches on topics important to people's lives... I hope that she sees the common sense of cryonics, hard to say what her reaction is--she likely already has an opinion...possible influenced by that episode she did so long ago... I do want to point out that if cryonics works, she can have her show broadcast on different planets some day ;)

#19 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:40 AM

Interesting stuff!!

They did say that in  America the average man has sex one time a week, and that to live longer you must have sex 4 or more times a week!  ;)

I new that it's better for your health to do it frequently (it's also pleasant [lol] ) but I didn't know these numbers. I wonder if 'masturbation' counts!?

Dr. Oz said men lose 50% of their sexual pleasure nerves after circumcision (I'd only heard 34% or so before)

Thank 'god' I was born in an atheist country; these kind of practices, like circumcision, were considered as 'garbage from the past'.

Dr. Oz also explained how a man can break his penis (when it is hard, it can get broken--the side splits and it has to be surgically repaired in order to be functional in the future).

That's very interesting!! I thought mine was unbreakable; I should be careful from now on.

it can get broken--the side splits

[mellow] longitudinal (-------- ? or perpendicular to the length ( | | | ?
Doesn't matter, I should be careful.

Thanks for sharing Shannon!

#20 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:47 AM

Dr. Oz said men lose 50% of their sexual pleasure nerves after circumcision (I'd only heard 34% or so before)

Thank 'god' I was born in an atheist country; these kind of practices, like circumcision, were considered as 'garbage from the past'.

I think it has pretty much been determined that in the end it doesn't make a difference due to desensitization.

#21 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:55 AM

I think it has pretty much been determined that in the end it doesn't make a difference due to desensitization.

Yes, we had this discussion before. As stated before, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. It is a contentious issue, though, and something that should have a separate thread on it if people want to discuss it, so as not to overshadow Shannon's hopeful appearance on Oprah.

#22 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:47 AM

Uhhh it was kinda the biggest squirm moment of the show when he explained that it was like a sausage that is smushed into a hard wall, how the side will split! He had some men in the audience who told how it had happened to them (Oprah with the women in the other studio were all cringing) Dr. Oz explained that a man with a hard penis--that hits something firm, even the side of a woman! (one man in the audience had uh, broken it while being as he admitted in too much of a hurry with his wife, she was ovulating, and wanted sex--he wanted to go fishing, so they heard a pop, he was in searing pain and had to be driven to the emergency room where thankfully they were able to stitch it up--and he was able to have two children!)

Oh, and he didn't talk about masturbation--but I've heard that actual sex is better, can't back that up with a link though right now... I recall it was something about the loving hormones that are released with cuddling and loving sex such as oxcytocin (boosts serotonin, good for memory it causes 'imprints' in your brain and when it is low couples will have affairs--when it is high, people stay 'in-love') so loving sex hormones are different than masturbation and 'animalistic sex' hormones mainly testosterone (lowers cholesterol, builds muscle). In a relationship--you can have plenty of both kinds of sex, and all the hormonal benefits! ;) I did see one study that showed hormone levels are higher with real sex...I think that the extra decades,(a study of thousands in their 50's and 60's in Europe showed that people who had sex more than 4 times a week, looked and tested a decade younger--but it could just be that healthier people have sex more..) all of the studies studies showing that sex and loving relationships/marriage or committed partners are due to the benefits of the 'love' factor in a good marriage/partnering (I'd put more emphasis on committed and loving, since I know from experience you can be married and be in a state of war fare and stress chemicals instead of love).

#23 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:49 AM

Oh, Live Forever, its ok! I kinda hijacked my own thread, just to talk about what Oprah is up to right now. I think it is fun to analyze her impact on society. Thanks for putting the link to circumcision thread, you beat me to it!

#24 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:54 AM

Today's Oprah had Sinead O'Conner talking about her bi-polar disorder, treatment--how she overcame suicidal impulses. They filmed her with her four children in Ireland, she talked about how America is cruel to celebrities--especially Brittney Spears right now and Brittney should go to Ireland! Well all parents make mistakes that is true, and I'm sure Brittney will be fine... she interviewed a suicidal man who described himself as 'an average joe' and his wife talking about his 'episodes' and how she parents and explains them to their kids. The show was sad--but focussed on how you can overcome with modern medications and psychotherapy.

But if ya'all are gonna get bored of Shannon Vyff 'on' Oprah ;) then you won't hear about tomorrow's 'Eat Pray Love' show....

#25 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:48 PM

Wow that's fantastic!!!! [thumb]

-Infernity

#26 cryofan

• 136 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

It's too bad they are apparently choosing to commingle cryonics with NDE nonsense rather than life extension. This could take their depiction of cryonics, and the audience's perception of it, in all kinds of unfortunate directions.

NDEs, that's spiritual type stuff. Not science. Bad!

However....I would bet that the total $$ amount spent on books on NDEs, ghosts, religion and other spiritual-related merchandise, on church tithes, etc., far far FAR exceeds that spent on cryonics every year. We talking orders of magnitude here.

And more people BY FAR believe in NDEs than in cryonics. And their money is just as green as any rationalist's money.

So...it all depends on what your goal is. If your goal is scientific purity... Well, then keep cryonics far away from spiritual stuff. And the new high IQ members will continue to trickle in. Aubrey deGrey can handle that end. He has that eccentric thing going that the media just loves.

However, if your goal is to motivate tens of thousands of people to sign up and pay dues....well....the evidence speaks for itself. Go with church and family and spirituality. And on that other end of the spectrum, Shannon is an All Star. If she ever got as high a media profile as Aubrey, we would double our membership in a year.

Good luck in your endeavors, Shannon. You are doing great!

Edited by cryofan, 21 November 2007 - 10:27 PM.

#27 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

I got a call from her producer today and there is supposed to be a camera crew coming next week. The call was about Calorie Restriction, we also talked Cryonics. The show topic is Life Extension, I'm not sure what all will be included though. She wanted my background primarily and experience with CR. I said my chapter in The Scientific Conquest of Death is on Calorie Restriction :), and gave my background. Should be fun, hopefully it will educate more people about life extension in general. The producer new about Methuselah Foundation which I found a positive sign :)

#28 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

Hey Shannon! good luck with the shoe! I am sure you will do great ^_^

#29 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:42 AM

Thanks :) I'm excited, I hope the whole show is comprehensive.

#30 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

Thanks :) I'm excited, I hope the whole show is comprehensive.

At the end of the show, give a shout-out to Imminst and mention my iHerb rewards code :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users