Photo

Paris Hilton, cryonicist?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:35 AM

Many people think she is very stupid.
Who knows, she left School so early, i think thats dumb, or may bee not she is rich, so she thinks she wont need any higher education!?

She may bee annoying but my remote has the last word on this, as far as i can switch to another TV-Station, everything is fine!

I have no problems with her, and if she is interested in cryonics, thats ok, she is welcome!

#32 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:35 AM

Two comments:

As far as I know, Paris has done nothing that she deserves to die for. And like spam and junk mail, you would not even know about her if there were not other "consumers" to support the media attention, just as there would be no spam if there were no supporters of spam.

If you were born with Paris's genetics and situation, how can you claim that you would turn out any better?

Bottom line, if she is interested in cyronics for the right reasons (to avoid death), then we should welcome her.

#33 bob_d

• 101 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

whats wrong with her genetics?

There was a similar story about Michael Jackson joining the American Cryonics Society 20 years ago. Shannon is right. Until you hear the actual person talking about it, tabloid stories are just tabloid stories.

My theory is that Tiffany Summers got Paris to sign up.

http://a-girl-explor...man-who-is.html

[thumb]

#34 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

athan I think that is going way over the top to say that she should die... I don't quite understand why people hate her so much. This if true is very good news for cryonics... eventually I hope that more celebs do this! Most celebrities probably want to live a long time or forever, so we can probably expect at some point in the near future that many more will sign up for things like this or support (in someway) life extension.

None of us here personally know Paris, there is no need to say that she deserves to die. She also just acts dumb sometimes but doesn't mean she is... I don't hate her and I don't particularly follow her in the news... she is interesting and obviously smart enough to be earning more than any of us probably ever will.

#35 Athan

• 156 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

Bringing up her genealogy is inconsequential - I wouldn't turn out any better because my genetics and environment would program in for the same mind, making me an essential clone.

I don't despise Paris because she's stupid, I despise her because she champions stupidity and good looks over intelligence and critical thinking. I loathe people like that.

Maybe a few non-idiotic celebrities will sign up and draw in some crowds(and that I have no problem with) but I really never want to see her - or her followers - in the news which I need to read for valuable information in the future.

If she gets out of the news and stops telling kids that if you look amazing you can get anywhere in life (which is sadly true) I don't really care what happens to her. For now, she's much more of a negative than a positive. By death I meant social death; I don't care what happens to her body.

#36 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

Other news outlets have picked up the Paris Hilton story, though they seem mostly celebrity-oriented except for the Melbourne, Australia, Herald Sun.

#37 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

I still don't believe there is a shred of truth to it. Paris has done some philanthropy though...that is a good sign that as she ages she will continue doing that, at least one hopes...

#38 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

Heh, brilliant. I can't see any statements from CI about this yet. Does anybody know how much she's supposed to have given to CI?

#39 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

whats wrong with her genetics?

There was a similar story about Michael Jackson joining the American Cryonics Society 20 years ago. Shannon is right. Until you hear the actual person talking about it, tabloid stories are just tabloid stories.

My theory is that Tiffany Summers got Paris to sign up.

http://a-girl-explor...man-who-is.html

[thumb]

Nothing wrong with her genetics, genetics + environment = person.

#40 dangerousideas

• 60 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

I like Paris Hilton. There. I said it.

Apparently one of the Olsen twins (I don't know which one) was complaining because Paris was sleeping with her boyfriend. Paris' response: "I'm sorry darling, but you are going to have to be more specific than that!"

Look, Paris Hilton is a very savy young lady - the blond ditz thing is all for show. That does not mean that I would like her to be a role model for my own daughters, although the jury is still out (pun intended) on whether or not she is going to eventually turn into someone that people can admire for her accomplishments instead of someone who they are amused by for her too-rich and too-stupid 20 something antics. (I only wish that I could have had that kind of fun in my 20's!)

If you examine her various business ventures you will find sophisticated enterprises that are well run and well tuned to their customer base, which she maintains through her highly effective publicity process. I would dare say that she is wealthier (with self-made wealth no less) than all but a few of the people in the Life Extension and Cryonics community. I, for one, say "Welcome!"

#41 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

CI has an official response on their site now: http://www.cryonics.org/whatsnew.html

#42 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

Thanks, Shannon & Ben... nice to see the quick response.

#43 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

well if CI is owned by it's members, then just by becoming a member she could be considered to have "bought shares"....

#44 benbest

• Registrant, Advisor
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:20 PM

well if CI is owned by it's members, then just by becoming a member she could be considered to have "bought shares"....

I have gotten a bit of criticism about my wording, so I have rewritten the text on the CI news page:

http://www.cryonics.org/whatsnew.html

The Cryonics Institute (CI) is aware of a news story that Paris Hilton has "bought shares" in CI. CI is a non-profit corporation and does not issue shares. People cannot buy shares in CI and CI has no shareholders. CI is "owned" (controlled) entirely by its voting Members, and elected Directors and Officers. Voting Members are adult CI Members who have contracts and funding in place for their own cryopreservation. Income and assets are to be used only for maintaining the organization and for the benefit of its patients. No individual can have personal ownership of CI assets.

For further detail on how CI is structured see the By-Laws of the Cryonics Institute

http://www.cryonics.org/By_Laws.html

Concerning the reported membership of Paris Hilton in CI or her use of CI services, as a policy CI does not affirm or deny such claims. CI recommends that anyone considering copying this story circulating in the celebrity press contact Miss Hilton or her press officer first and check the facts.

I hope that makes the question of ownership and shares completely clear.

#45 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

Thanks Ben

#46 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:42 AM

She is probably undercover here with a SN. I am guessing zoolander, or maybe elrond is actually Paris.

Having seen her sex tape, I really don't think it is Elrond. Not sure about Zoolander though.

#47 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:50 AM

I wonder what percentage of western males have watched the Paris Hilton sex tape...wait, I'm googling now...

(Edit: wow, something I couldn't find via google, amazing)

#48 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:56 AM

This is fantastic news if true. Its wonderful to hear about more people buying in on cryonics and showing positive hope for the future. To the people criticizing Paris, realize that we are all not so different from each other. Think about it from the perspective of your distant future self. We will look back and realize how restricted our thoughts and actions were, shaped so much by human evolutionary heritage and the environment in which we developed.

#49 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:00 AM

I wonder what percentage of western males have watched the Paris Hilton sex tape...wait, I'm googling now...

A google image search with "safe search filtering" disabled can be very educational [wis]

#50 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:00 AM

I am assuming you mean the statistics on percentages and not the sex tape itself is what you couldn't find, seeing as how it is everywhere. ;))

#51 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:30 AM

Well, this page has her contact info if someone wanted to take the trouble to ask her personally...

#52 Futurist1000

• 438 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

This article is a little dated.
Article

Trailing in third place was 1 Night in Paris, the infamous sex tape of Ms. Hilton and her then-boyfriend that has been seen online by 400 million.

So at least 400 million people (in the world, I guess) have seen it. Probably a high percentage of those people are males.

#53 marcopolo

• 128 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

I think some people are passing judgment on her too quickly. To me, other then the fact that I have seen her naked, she is just one of another 6 billion people whom I have never met and don't know personally. I have no opinion on her one way or another.
Most of these Hollywood types are putting forth a public persona and could very well be totally different if you met them personally, therefore it is not really possible to pass judgment on them without really having met them, with the possible exception of Tom Cruise, that guy just annoys me because he has publicly passed judgment on a whole group of people he doesn't know personally.
Sure she has her problems, she is far from perfect, but I have known people who have had alcohol and drug problems, have been to jail, and often they are nice people who messed up and did something stupid. The people who I would like to see gone are the sociopaths of the world, those people have no empathy or consideration for other human beings, but I don't think Paris is a sociopath.

#54 marcopolo

• 128 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

Well, this page has her contact info if someone wanted to take the trouble to ask her personally...

I just sent her an email via Myspace, I wonder if she personally reads those things.

#55 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:17 AM

oh, ok, I'll send her a snail mail letter, not as laudable as the world's oldest man, yet she may find contact by a person from the fringe group she was attributed to by the tabloids--interesting...

#56 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

You all, no one has verified this. I talked with Ben on the phone last night for two hours... nothing about Paris, CI does not have 'shares'. This story could be made up, or if she is wanting to do this she is not yet a member of an organization--and if she is, then they have the wrong cryonics company.

But, if she does want to--then that would be wonderful publicity--and Paris is not a 'bad' person, she is playful, intelligent, funny and loving. She has good family relations and it would be nice if she stayed a cryonicist throughout her life-- I would hope she'd read my book and learn about the possibilities of transhumanism ;) That all being said, which ever organization she joined (if she does, or has) I'd be willing to teach her talking points about cryonics. Someone would need to, thankfully Alcor will give their current talking points to anyone who is doing public interviews.

Paris has made tons of racist remarks using the n word alot and she insults all minorities, according to several reputable articles I've read including a former friend that spoke about how he ended the friendship with her because she was "not a nice person." I don't think she is the person you make her out to be. In fact I think she is probably an awful person; spoiled, racist, mean, and haughty.

As for publicity. Paris is talked about more than 95%, estimation, of all celebrities these days, especially in 2009. She is a role model for many young people. So yes, this is a good thing for cryonics.

#57 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

Should Paris be one of the people we talk to for the contacting VIP project?

#58 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

Should Paris be one of the people we talk to for the contacting VIP project?

This was a media hoax.

http://www.cryonicss...y.org/news.html

scroll down or press ctrl + f to find the article.

#59 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:22 AM

She still might do it as I saw nothing that said she was just kidding. I hope she does. I mean Ted Williams did it and I believe so can alot of celebs. I always wonder why more rich celebs wouldn't be enticed by freezing their asses? I mean they have soo much money and nothing to lose. But of course there are a growing number of millionaires, and I think, billionaires who have agreed to do it. But if you scroll down it looks like they successfully brought a mouse back to life, but I might have read it wrong.

#60 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

Oh Jesus Christ...

A very small amount of people deserve to die. She's one of them.

That's pretty harsh. Just because she is seen as a vacuous celebrity now isnt any reason to see her die. She's bound to get bored of Amika and China White's and the generic party scene eventually and explore other interests. She is likely to have a fan base and certain ammount of press attention which is going to bring cyronics to a few more people's attention who might not otherwise have any knowledge of it. Simon Cowell is also interested in Cryonics. These people might not be your ideal conversation partner but don't knock the PR it might generate for life extension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users