Photo
- - - - -

Zoolander's Skin Care Regime

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:41 AM

My skin condition is decent but over the last few years I have noticed a few wrinkles around the eyes. I still break out on occasions but this is only when I am stressed and have not been sleeping.

I have started a skin care regime in the last month that is working wonders.

Zoolander's skin care regime: current as of Dec 17th, 2007

I stagger my routine and use a retinoid every other day.

In breif, here is how it looks:
Mon, Wed and Friday:
Morning: Cleanse with buffered 12% glycolic acid cleanser, Juvess anti-aging moisturiser, Sunscreen
Evening: Cleanse with buffered 12% glycolic acid cleanser, hydrophillic and lipophillic serums

Tue, Thurs, Sat and Sun:
Morning: 12% glycolic acid cleanser, Juvess anti-aging moisturiser, Sunscreen
Evening: 12% glycolic acid cleanser, 0.05% Tretinoin (Retin A)

In greater detail:
Morning routine:

Cleanse: DERMAdoctor Wrinkle Revenge Antioxidant Enhanced Glycolic Acid Facial Cleanser (buffered 12% glycolic acid)
Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water),Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Glycolate, Sorbitol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Ubiquinone, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Moisturise: using Juvess anti-aging moisturizer ($US30 for ~2 months supply)
Ingredients
Posted Image
Note I add a little extra antioxidant and rosehip oil to this. Just a few drops each per 2 oz. tub.

Lip conditioner:
This varies. Sometimes I add straight vitamin E oil and sometimes I add a collection of fat soluble antioxidants

Sunscreen: Neutrogena UltraSheer SPF 55+ with Helioplex
Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3.0%, Homosalate 10.0%, Octisalate 5.0%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Oxybenzone 6.0%

Shaving: Class: 5 o'clock shadow man. To remain clean need to shave daily
1. Warm skin on face with warm-hot face washer. Hold for 1 minute. If growth on face greater than 4 days I steam face
2. Apply Shaving cream (Proraso) with Badger hair brush
3. Shave: using Shick quattro Titanium. With the grain. I rarely go against the grain of growth
4. Cool face with cold face washer
5. Apply Juvess anti-aging moisturizer

Evening routine:

Cleanse: DERMAdoctor Wrinkle Revenge Antioxidant Enhanced Glycolic Acid Facial Cleanser (buffered 12% glycolic acid)

Nourish: Using hydrophillic antioxidant system
Ingredient list: Organic aloe vera juice, sea kelp bioferment, pomegranate extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, niacinamide, carnosine, carnitine, tetrahydrocurcuminoids, ferulic acid, sodium PCA, hyaluronic acid, hesperidin methyl chalcone, lycopene, glutathione, superoxide dismutase, phenoxyethanol (and) methylparaben (and) isopropylparaben (and) isobutylparaben (and) butylparaben.

wait 15-20 minutes for absorption...

Nourish: using Lipophillic serum (if skin is starting become overly oily I skip this step)
Ingredient list: Squalane and Olea Europea (olive) fruit extract, Rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, Punica granatum (pomegranate) seed oil, Lecithin, Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate and Cholesteryl Nanoate and Cholesteryl Chloride, Punica granatum (pomegranate) Seed Oil and Astaxanthin and Tocotrienols and Lycopene and alpha D-Tocopherol and Thioctic Acid and Lutein, Phytosterols, Ceramide-3.

or

Retin-A 0.05% tretinoin gel

Hair Care:
Everyday: Organic conditioner
Twice per week: Nizoral (1% ketoconazole)

Important notes:
1. I do not use Juvess Anti-aging cream and hydrophillic antioxidant system together.
Reason: Juvess contains copper peptides and hydrophillic system contains Vitamin C. I avoid combining both due to possible oxidation reaction between vitamin C and copper.
Solution:I use Juvess in morning and hydrophillic antioxidant system at night before bed after cleansing. This works well (see also point 2)

2. I do not use the hydrophillic antioxidant system where there will be sun.
Reason: see paper titled "Photo-irradiation of Aloe vera by UVA--formation of free radicals, singlet oxygen, superoxide, and induction of lipid peroxidation"
Solution: I use it at night before bed before using my lipophillic serum

#2 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:08 AM

Just started on a prescription retinoid so I have moved things around a little. I have also added a glycolic acid (AHA) cleanser in the morning

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:12 AM

I just bought a glycolic acid cleaner last night. It's a 3%, soap free number from Menscience (suprised they didn't call it "Testo - Grrr! face wash [lol] ). I'm finding that I have some mild flaking in the morning after the Retin-o use so wanted a cleanser that would help dispose of the old skin more vigorously than my current one.

Which are you using and why?

#4 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

I haven't received it yet in the mail but I will be using DERMAdoctor Wrinkle Revenge Antioxidant Enhanced Glycolic Acid Facial Cleanser (buffered 12% glycolic acid)

I'm currently using a 2% salicylic acid wash

#5 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

Well yours certainly gets the prize for longest name!

12% is kind of high for a regular wash, more peel level. What I don't get is as it's used as a wash and therefore washed off the skin/used superficially when does it get a chance to excercise it's sustained release?

Alternatively, If it is unleash it's full 12% on you, isn't that going to be a bit much when combined with the retinol? Not criticising but just trying to get my head round it.

Here's mine BTW with the 3% and some Salicylic Acid, Vit C etc.

http://www.skinstore...34Pa38Ta38QaNr0

#6 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

do you find that neutrogena ultra sheer doesnt absorb very well? I bought the SPF70 version and find it just leaves my face white and the solution just sort of peels off on contact. also did you buy yours online or locally?

#7 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:03 AM

I purchased the SPF55+ at DermaDoctor. It hasn't arrived yet so I cannot give you a review

#8 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

Made a few changes.

I'm now using the Neutrogena Sunscreen. I really like this but it does not apply well onto facial growth of more than a day for me. However when I apply it to a freshly shaven face it gives the skin a really nice feel. It applies really well (not too greasy at all) and makes the skin feel super soft.

I also dropped the salicylic acid from my regime and now use straight AHA (glycolic acid) every time I cleanse. I apply this to a dry face. Currently I am using a 12% buffered glycolic acid but will bump this up to 15% early into the new year once my skin has gotten use to the 12%. I think I will bump it up to 20% after I have finish the tube of 15% buffered glycolic acid.

I dropped the eye cream. At the moment it is a hassle to fit into my regime. I was using it in the morning with the juvess but forgot that the eye cream has a timed release vitamin C in it that may react with the copper peptides in the Juvess cream.

#9 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:03 AM

so with the hydrophillic and lipophillic serums. do you mix them into any base? or do you just by them from skinactives and apply them directly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users