Photo
- - - - -

Photo-irradiation of Aloe vera by UVA:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

Aloe vera has been marketed as an after sun product and now the science has shown that this is literally the case.

Toxicol Lett. 2007 Jan 30;168(2):165-75.

Photo-irradiation of Aloe vera by UVA--formation of free radicals, singlet oxygen, superoxide, and induction of lipid peroxidation.
    Xia Q, Yin JJ, Fu PP, Boudreau MD.

National Center for Toxicological Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA.

Aloe vera whole leaf extracts are incorporated into a wide variety of topically applied commercial products. Aloe vera whole leaf extracts may contain anthraquinones, which have been shown to generate reactive oxygen species in the presence of ultraviolet A (UVA) light. Exposure to UVA light alone can also generate reactive oxygen species and is associated with photo-damaged and photo-aged skin in humans. This paper examines the photochemical properties of two Aloe vera whole leaf extracts that differed in their anthraquinone content. In the presence of methyl linoleate, the UVA irradiation of Aloe vera leaf extracts induced lipid peroxidation. The amounts of lipid peroxides formed were higher in the Aloe vera leaf extract that contained lower amounts of anthraquinones. Superoxide dismutase and sodium azide inhibited and deuterium oxide enhanced the formation of lipid peroxides, suggesting that singlet oxygen and superoxide were involved in the mechanism. Spin trapping electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy was used to investigate the generation of free radicals by the UVA photo-irradiated Aloe vera plant extracts. ESR measurements indicated that the UVA photo-irradiation of Aloe vera plant extracts produced carbon-centered free radicals. These results suggest that humans exposed to products that contain Aloe vera whole leaf extracts may have enhanced sensitivity to ultraviolet light.

PMID: 17197137 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#2 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks. Now I definitely need to change cleanser. I knew that the Body Shop used Aloe vera just as a gimmick because people think that aloe vera is so amazing. I just bought it because I like the gentle synthetic non-soap detergents.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

If you like the non-soap detergents don't be folled by the oil-free Neutrogena 2% salicylic acid facewash. That really dragged every little bit of oil out of mine and my partners face. OUCH!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users