- - - - -

4% Hydroquinone & Tanda Clear

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tinkerbell

• 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

Hello,

I am new to this forum but found alot of interesting information while browsing for information. I am currently using a product line that contains 4% hydroquinone and in addition to this I am using prescribed .05% tretinoin cream. It seems to be working on my existing acne problem, however I would like to keep the occurrence of new acne at bay and was considering using Tanda that uses blue light therapy for clearing and killing the acne bacteria. I have heard that if certain products make you photosensitive then blue light therapy may not be suitable for me.

Any feeback would be great!
Tink ;)

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

regardless, you should always do you best to keep your skin protected from the sun.

0.05% should only be used at night. Not sure about the hydroquinone.

Would this be the Obagi system that you are referring to?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Be aware that hydroquinone (HQ) can in rare cases induce, often in darker skin, permanent blue discoloration called ochronosis. It is not treatable. HQ is the best topical against hyperpigmentation but I would be careful and use it in cycles. Three months on and one month off is sometimes used by derms. It is banned in asia and many european countrys.

Sunscreen, retinoids and topical C can prevent epidermal (shallow) pigmentation. I would use TCA and IPL, instead of HQ, to treat epidermal pigmentation if I got it.

There are other weak lightening agents that won´t cause ochronosis: niacinamide + acetyl glucosamine, arbutin and kojic acid for example.

#4 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

Azaleic acid is an excellent agent for lightening pigmentation and also against blackheads.
The combo of 20% Azaleic Acid + 10% Glycolic Acid + 4% Kojic Acid is used to treat serious pigmentation. The effect is just as good as with HQ but without the sideeffects :)

And yes: HQ is a skinsensitiser beside other negative effects like making the skin more prone to developing pigmentation on the treated skin surface when in sunlight.

Be aware that hydroquinone (HQ) can in rare cases induce, often in darker skin, permanent blue discoloration called ochronosis. It is not treatable. HQ is the best topical against hyperpigmentation but I would be careful and use it in cycles. Three months on and one month off is sometimes used by derms. It is banned in asia and many european countrys.

Sunscreen, retinoids and topical C can prevent epidermal (shallow) pigmentation. I would use TCA and IPL, instead of HQ, to treat epidermal pigmentation if I got it.

There are other weak lightening agents that won´t cause ochronosis: niacinamide + acetyl glucosamine, arbutin and kojic acid for example.

Edited by Eva Victoria, 15 May 2008 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users