Photo
- - - - -

Any runner in here?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

Just want to know, and can you post some tips for a new runner?

Edited by cnorwood, 19 November 2007 - 12:42 AM.

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:51 AM

I can tell you that the Asics Gel Kayano line is great for running, I have the XII.

I am guessing you are running long distance?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:53 AM

Posted Image

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:53 AM

HOOP there it is!

#5 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

I can tell you that the Asics Gel Kayano line is great for running, I have the XII.

I am guessing you are running long distance?

I am planning on running a marathon in August. Right now I just have a few pairs of worn running shoes and cross trainers that I have used before though they still have some life in them. Do you have any training tips? I just quit smoking (last night ;)) and have been doing min of 20 min runs and 40-50 min walks about 3x a week for the past month. Right now my endurance isn't stable which is probably due to my diet; if I eat 3k a day I can do 2.7 miles with hills with some minor struggle but if I do less than 2k a day I can't do it without stopping at least once to catch my breath. Thanks for the welcome.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:23 AM.

#6 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:40 AM

I was a long distance runner my whole childhood, and I was quite good. HOWEVER, I am paying for it now that I am in my mid 30's. I have a nasty case of bursitis (which is quite common Ive heard) in my hips that can be debilitating. I'm also having other minor problems. If had to do it again, I would've picked another sport or activity. The only tip I can give you is to get very comfortable shoes, and to avoid going downhill as much as possible.

Rodent Man

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:50 AM

I run some. I am up to around 6-8 miles, 3 times a week. (although I have been experimenting lately with different running schedules) The biggest problem I run into are minor ankle and leg injuries (shin splints, twisted ankles, etc). My left ankle is a bit sore right now for some reason that I can't figure. I finally found some Adidas running shoes (after going through lots of pairs) that I like and are easy on my feet.

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:57 AM

Good luck on the quitting smoking, by the way! That is probably the biggest thing you have to get over right now. (and the biggest thing holding you back until your lungs start to heal)

By the way, you mentioned calories, so I thought I would mention that most people think you burn a lot more calories than they actually do while running. Depending on weight, speed run, etc, for most people it is just a little over 100 calories (kilocalories) per mile run. (about in the 110-130 range per mile for most people) Lots of people tend to increase their food consumption more than they burn when they first start training until they realize this.

#9 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:02 AM

Good luck on the quitting smoking, by the way! That is probably the biggest thing you have to get over right now. (and the biggest thing holding you back until your lungs start to heal)

By the way, you mentioned calories, so I thought I would mention that most people think you burn a lot more calories than they actually do while running. Depending on weight, speed run, etc, for most people it is just a little over 100 calories (kilocalories) per mile run. (about in the 110-130 range per mile for most people) Lots of people tend to increase their food consumption more than they burn when they first start training until they realize this.

Thanks for the smoking encouragement. With regards to calories; do you think I should be limiting my calories when training for long distance running? I read somewhere that it's recommended to obtain at least 600 gs of carbs a day for optimum endurance. That's a lot of food and with my current meat-inclusive diet I can't get there without at least eating 4000 calories. I know that I am still low mileage but I want to be able to run that marathon non-stop and it's going to be a hilly course (San Francisco) which I am training for by running uphill. Also, what do you think of running 5x-6x a week? Thanks a lot.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:23 AM.

#10 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the smoking encouragement. With regards to calories; do you think I should be limiting my calories when training for long distance running? I read somewhere that it's recommended to obtain at least 600 gs of carbs a day for optimum endurance. That's a lot of food and with my current meat-inclusive diet I can't get there without at least eating 4000 calories. I know that I am still low mileage but I want to be able to run that marathon non-stop and it's going to be a hilly course (San Francisco) which I am training for by running uphill. Also, what do you think of running 5x-6x a week? Thanks a lot.

I know that lots of people like to load up on carbs while training for endurance events (especially in the days leading up to the event itself) because of the way your body processes it. However, I am no expert, and since I am not currently training for a marathon (although I am thinking seriously about trying to do one in the future at some point), my regimen of eating/running would probably be different than what you are going for. (and I am no expert, so I would not want to recommend a wrong course of action)

As far as the hills, I know those can suck majorly, especially if there are some big ones on the course. I am sure there are some strategies out there on how to deal with them (how fast to run going up hill as opposed to downhill, etc), but again I am no help, haha. I used to run track and train 5x a week (sometimes 6x), but I would just say about that to listen to your body. If you start getting lots of small minor injuries, it is probably your body's way of telling you to back off a little. Unfortunately people (me especially) usually try to push themselves too hard when they are starting out, and your body can react badly to that. Always better to take a couple days off to let an injury heal than to try to run on it and do more damage. (at least in my experience)

Are you doing any type of a program? My brother runs marathons some and he has like a book with a certain eating program/running schedule (with weights and everything incorporated) written by some guy who I can't remember his name (some big time marathon runner who has won a lot) and he (my brother) has had good results with the program. I can ask him who the book is by if you are interested.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:24 AM.

#11 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:26 AM

I run some. I am up to around 6-8 miles, 3 times a week. (although I have been experimenting lately with different running schedules) The biggest problem I run into are minor ankle and leg injuries (shin splints, twisted ankles, etc). My left ankle is a bit sore right now for some reason that I can't figure.

That's the main reason why I decided to take up biking rather than running. With running, I am more concerned with how it will impact my joint condition later in life. Biking seems smoother on the body, plus more interesting, you can go faster and cover more ground.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:25 AM.

#12 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:31 AM

I know that lots of people like to load up on carbs while training for endurance events (especially in the days leading up to the event itself) because of the way your body processes it. However, I am no expert, and since I am not currently training for a marathon (although I am thinking seriously about trying to do one in the future at some point), my regimen of eating/running would probably be different than what you are going for. (and I am no expert, so I would not want to recommend a wrong course of action)

As far as the hills, I know those can suck majorly, especially if there are some big ones on the course. I am sure there are some strategies out there on how to deal with them (how fast to run going up hill as opposed to downhill, etc), but again I am no help, haha. I used to run track and train 5x a week (sometimes 6x), but I would just say about that to listen to your body. If you start getting lots of small minor injuries, it is probably your body's way of telling you to back off a little. Unfortunately people (me especially) usually try to push themselves too hard when they are starting out, and your body can react badly to that. Always better to take a couple days off to let an injury heal than to try to run on it and do more damage. (at least in my experience)

Are you doing any type of a program? My brother runs marathons some and he has like a book with a certain eating program/running schedule (with weights and everything incorporated) written by some guy who I can't remember his name (some big time marathon runner who has won a lot) and he (my brother) has had good results with the program. I can ask him who the book is by if you are interested.

Thanks for sharing your advice. You do run 6-8 miles so I do believe you have credibility. How is your diet right now? Are you doing CR? Right now my biggest problem is just the lack of endurance probably due to smoking. My legs get sore but nothing too bad yet and I always do a warm up and cool down walk along with stretching so maybe that could explain the lack of injuries so far. Yes if you could find out what book your brother used that would help especially since he already has marathons under his belt. Thanks!

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:25 AM.

#13 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:46 AM

I run some. I am up to around 6-8 miles, 3 times a week. (although I have been experimenting lately with different running schedules) The biggest problem I run into are minor ankle and leg injuries (shin splints, twisted ankles, etc). My left ankle is a bit sore right now for some reason that I can't figure.

That's the main reason why I decided to take up biking rather than running. With running, I am more concerned with how it will impact my joint condition later in life. Biking seems smoother on the body, plus more interesting, you can go faster and cover more ground.

True, although there isn't really much of an area to bike close to where I live now. I could drive to go bike, but I like being able to step outside my door and start running. That, plus I travel a lot for work, and I can run anywhere I go just about, but I can't bring a bike with me on a plane very easily, haha. Those elliptical machines are good, too, for anyone looking for low impact training.

However, I personally believe that joint damage from running (if done properly) is a myth. Every study I have ever seen on the subject either shows no difference between runners and non-runners or shows a slight improvement because of running.

http://galloway.runn...running-ha.html
http://www.jaoa.org/.../full/106/6/342
...etc...

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:26 AM.

#14 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for sharing your advice. You do run 6-8 miles so I do believe you have credibility. How is your diet right now? Are you doing CR?

Actually, I am trying an intermittent fasting program right now, but I haven't been doing it for very long (about a month so far), so I can't speak to the results yet:
http://www.imminst.o...&...171&t=17762

I was trying to shed a little bit of fat, though (as well as try to get CR benefits), and it might not be optimal for someone training for a marathon.

Right now my biggest problem is just the lack of endurance probably due to smoking. My legs get sore but nothing too bad yet and I always do a warm up and cool down walk along with stretching so maybe that could explain the lack of injuries so far.

Yeah, you sound like you are doing all the right stuff. If you want to, you might could even run a little till you start to get tired (mile or whatever you can do), then walk a little while till you catch your breath again (keep moving so your musles don't tighten up, but just at a walking pace), then run another bit (another mile or whatever you feel you can handle), then walk, then run, etc.. I find I can usually go a lot further total distance if I do that. (of course if you are running a marathon, at some point you will have to string them together into one long run)

Yes if you could find out what book your brother used that would help especially since he already has marathons under his belt. Thanks!

Sure thing. It may be a few days, but I am going to see him for Thanksgiving, so if I don't talk to him before that, I will be sure and ask him then. (nothing like stuffing your face and asking about exercise, right? haha)

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:27 AM.

#15 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:02 AM

True, although there isn't really much of an area to bike close to where I live now. I could drive to go bike, but I like being able to step outside my door and start running. That, plus I travel a lot for work, and I can run anywhere I go just about, but I can't bring a bike with me on a plane very easily, haha. Those elliptical machines are good, too, for anyone looking for low impact training.

However, I personally believe that joint damage from running (if done properly) is a myth. Every study I have ever seen on the subject either shows no difference between runners and non-runners or shows a slight improvement because of running.

http://galloway.runn...running-ha.html
http://www.jaoa.org/.../full/106/6/342
...etc...

Evidence can also be found in those hundreds of ancients running marathons ;).

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:28 AM.

#16 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

A few things you might want to check out:

http://www.powerrunning.com/
Daniels' Running Formula
The Lore of Running

I personally felt that I benefited from using a resistance lung contraption to help my smoke-damaged lungs. I used the PowerBreather, but there are others.

As far as shoes, I like the Nike Free. There are different versions you can choose from. But, you may need more of a corrective shoe to prevent injuries depending on your degree of under/over-pronation. Get technique down (don't bounce up and down), get a shoe that helps keep your foot strike neutral, and you should be good to go.

Regarding diet, it's going to depend on you. Scott Jurek, for example, is an amazing distance runner. And a vegan. For right now, I'd recommend keeping your diet the way it is and adding pre/peri/post nutrition to see how that affects you. You probably won't need to take anything in during the run until you get a little more advanced, though.

#17 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

I more of a jogger than a runner ;) I jog 5-6 miles a 2-3x per week.

Advice:
1) Don't drink those carbohydrate (ex: gateraid) type drinks unless you are runner for well over an hour. You just don't need it until you are depleting your glycogen stores (which you aren't until you are getting into some serious mileage).

2) Don't increase mileage or speed too rapidly. AND if you are doing hills also adjust by decreasing your mileage to compensate until you have adapted.

#18 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:42 AM

To consolidate and add:

Based on my experience of running, cycling and subsequent injuries/wear and tear (I'm 37 so have suffered more trial and error but I am NO expert ;) ):

BTW all of this is age and weight dependent (Sorry if I missed them). If your 220 lb and 40 yrs old then you have very different considerations to someone younger and lighter, I'm assuming you haven't much past running experience.

min of 20 min runs and 40-50 min walks about 3x a week for the past month

Perfect, not too much and will allow your joints and tendons to adjust. You should see a big improve ment in the next 2-4 weeks when you get your breathing tempo together and some of the crap out of your lungs.

cnorwood

I can tell you that the Asics Gel Kayano line is great for running

Agreed, Asics have a great range, so are Brooks - go to a proper running shop and if they're any good they'll watch you run briefly and tell you if you have pronation issues and recommend if the type of shoe (motion, stability etc). Due to an inflamed plantar fascia (forms arch of the foor) I had a number of sessions with a podiatrist who was also an experienced athlete he rated both of these brands and also said to avoid Nike as you are paying for style over content. I just wear Nike's when I'm cycling or going to the pub :p

TBH I only got up to 6 miles regularly as any more thanthis and my knees would start to ache and the end goal was fitness, I'm not running away from a lion or anything! Sooo I substituted with treadmill running (much easy easier on joints/connective tissue as it reduced impact enormously - it's just dull) or as Ghost said - get a bike!

I cycle more now (both to work, making it practical and ecologically fluffy) and have no joint issues.

Also you MIGHT want to supplement with Glucosomine, fish oil etc to help out with joints (and a whole host of other things) but htat's another topic.

And as some else said Don't run down hill, it's fun but it's hard on the knees (opens up the knee joint at time of impact whilst causing increased impact to the joint, and the rest of the body).

sentinel

#19 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

I used to love Asics, but then they either changed their shoes or my feet changed, so now I have a choice between size 8.5 giving me black toenails or size 9 giving me back of heel blisters. (This happened with both the DS and GT.)

Adidas shoes feel nice, but their soles wear off in a matter of weeks. I gave myself an IT band problem by trying to stretch out a pair's lifespan to two months. This seems to be a company-wide problem, since a friend says their tennis shoes are flimsy too. They must have hired Firestone rubber scientists.

So now I only use Saucony, Brooks, or Mizuno, with prescription orthotics to keep plantar fasciitis away.

I use The Stick on my hams, calves, quads, and IT bands before running. It hurt at first, but eventually the tissue became more pliable.

#20 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to apply everything I learned here. I've actually been keeping logs of my running and diet on fitday.com I've made HUGE progress just from 17 days of training. I started walking/running on 10/22; I could only run around 8 minutes before getting tired and usually walked around 30-50 mins. Two weeks ago I started doing 1.8 miles non stop 3x with half of each run being an uphill (with one half of the uphill sloping only around 10 degreeas and a quarter of it sloping up to 30 degrees to near 45 degrees). Well today 11/20 I just ran for 36 minutes straight, with 18 minutes of that being uphill at an average of around 9 min per mile (faster on the downhills, about a minute slower uphill). I'm amazed at how fast my body has adapted since I've been smoking cigarettes and pot at least 3x a week since i started running and only quit around half a week ago! Is this usual for beginning runners? I'm 21 btw so could this just be a benefit of my youth? I have also been taking two multivitamins a day, 5.6gs of piracetam, 120mg of ginkgo biloba, 2-3k of calories,and just recently 100 mg of caffeine before my runs; maybe I scored on a winning supplement regimen? Right now I am using low end, almost dead Nikes but will be looking for at running shoes after I kill off my new balance 716 cross trainers. Keep the advice coming. Running gets you high :).

#21 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

Excellent! Keep up the good work.

I'm actually happy with my Adidias Supernova cushion. I had a running evaluation (filmed while running on a treadmill and then they told me the type of shoes I should be running in). They also measure my arches, etc. I would highly recommend it. The Adidas fit my feet the best of the shoes that where recommended. Asics and Brooks were recommended as well. The Asics had the bestcushioning and feel, but the arch felt weird. The Brooks were okay but didn't fit quite as well and the cushioning was firmer. The adidas had the second best cushioning and feel, but a perfect fit.

Don't try to save money by running on worn out shoes. You don't need to spend a fortune, but don't risk injury because you didn't spend $50-80 on new shoes!

Your increases are pretty normal. Its called beginner gains. You will make rapid progress for the first 6 months to a year if you stick with it.

#22 quarter

• 132 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:48 PM

Don't want to add too much confusion to the shoe company recommendations but I have found that while asics are generally regarded as the top brand for real runners, Mizuno seem to suit me better. I like the Mizuno Wave Rider line which is a neutral shoe, I actually over-pronate but my custom made orthodic insoles balance this out and a neutral shoe seems to work best with them. Make sure you find out if you are an over/under-pronater or neutral runner before deciding on your shoe, as this is important and running shoes are designed with this in mind.

#23 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:32 AM

Do you guys get your shoes at running stores or do you order them online? Also my shoes tend to wear at the ankle bone; is this overpronation? Thanks

Edited by gashinshotan, 22 November 2007 - 04:36 AM.

#24 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:51 AM

If you're going for a new shoe, you should get them from a shoe store. A good one will have equipment available to help you decide on what you want. If you're reordering, an online store would be fine.

Like some of the others, I've also used Asics and Brooks in the past and enjoyed them.

#25 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Yes if you could find out what book your brother used that would help especially since he already has marathons under his belt. Thanks!

Sure thing. It may be a few days, but I am going to see him for Thanksgiving, so if I don't talk to him before that, I will be sure and ask him then. (nothing like stuffing your face and asking about exercise, right? haha)

I talked to him over the Thanksgiving holiday and he said the guy's name is Hal Higdon. There is a lot of information out there about him and programs (for different running events) that he has made up.

#26 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

If you're going for a new shoe, you should get them from a shoe store. A good one will have equipment available to help you decide on what you want. If you're reordering, an online store would be fine.

Like some of the others, I've also used Asics and Brooks in the past and enjoyed them.

This is a must the first time you buy shoes. Make sure the shoe store has a good reputation and has the equipment needed to give the proper recommendation. They should evaluate you while you are running to see what kind of shoes are appropriate. Then buy the shoes there to support the service they are providing. Once you know your foot type then you then can just order the same shoe online.

#27 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

What's your purpose of running and what distance are you into?

Running is great, long runs mostly IMO. I do it often when there's good weather.

#28 gashinshotan

• Topic Starter
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

What's your purpose of running and what distance are you into?

Running is great, long runs mostly IMO. I do it often when there's good weather.

My purpose is to gain the mental advantage in achieving my personal goals. I'm going to run a marathon in August which I want to do non-stop because if I can do that, I can do anything ;). Right now I'm still at low mileage, 3.6-4.5 miles on hills because the marathon course will have a lot of hills, but Im walking/jogging average 1.5-2hrs a day. It has only been the first month so I'm planning on being able to run the 26 miles non-stop by August - is this possible?

#29 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

It has only been the first month so I'm planning on being able to run the 26 miles non-stop by August - is this possible?

Absolutely.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

26 miles is definitely doable in 9+ months or whatever it is, especially since you are already running some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users