Photo
- - - - -

Skin Texture Better After Sunburn

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wootwoot

• 112 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

Why is it that when I get a sunburn my skin texture is better than before? My skin looks red but it is a lot softer. I have a lot of blackheads on my nose and after a sunburn these all seem to disappear. I am guessing it has to do with my body shedding off the old skin and if that is the case would a glycolic peel have the same reaction?

#2 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:12 AM

Why is it that when I get a sunburn my skin texture is better than before? My skin looks red but it is a lot softer. I have a lot of blackheads on my nose and after a sunburn these all seem to disappear. I am guessing it has to do with my body shedding off the old skin and if that is the case would a glycolic peel have the same reaction?

You´re experiencing swelling from the UV-induced inflammation (erythema, redness). The swelling and slight edema smoothes everything out temporarily. The same thing happens when people do a peel or laser procedure. You can look good a couple of days until the peeling starts and the swelling goes down.

Solution? Don´t get a sunburn. Practice sun avoidance, clothing and liberal use of sunscreen. That way you may not get skin cancer and a wrinkled saggy hyperpigmented complexion.

Edited by fredrik, 28 November 2007 - 04:08 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 dehbleh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

Woot, you don't want to go down this path. Yes, sunburn temporarily improves blood flow and "plumps" out wrinkles etc.. but in a couple of days this will subside and your skin will be damaged. If you're looking for a similar effect, use Retin-A and avoid the sun like crazy.

#4 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

If you're looking for a similar effect, use Retin-A and avoid the sun like crazy.

While I agree that one shouldn't get a sunburn, I think this kind of advice ("avoid the sun like crazy") is going way too far - we'd all die without exposure to the sun. We feel good when we've been in the sun for many good reasons, some of which are not yet completely understood, and may never be. Humans evolved for millions of years in contact with the sun - many a modern disease may very well stem from our relative lack of sunlight when compared with our ancestors - including skin cancer, which has a higher incidence in northern latitudes.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

I think it should be avoid the sun like crazy on your face :) it is very good to get a little bit of sun (20 minutes or so) each day on other body parts.

#6 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

I have a lot of blackheads on my nose and after a sunburn these all seem to disappear.

UV radiation also temporarily helps acne. They used to give UV treatment for acne. That is until skin cancer in these groups shot through the roof.

Having a tumor on your face looks slightly worse than acne in my opinion.

#7 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

If you're looking for a similar effect, use Retin-A and avoid the sun like crazy.

While I agree that one shouldn't get a sunburn, I think this kind of advice ("avoid the sun like crazy") is going way too far - we'd all die without exposure to the sun.

Rubbish. We won´t die without exposure to the sun. But the plants on our planet would (and we, further down the line). But we would get vitamin D deficiency and our sleep-wake cykle would be out of whack.

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:38 AM

I am in the "a bit of sun exposure is good for the mind and body" group. I go crazy/nuts/depressed if I have to go several days without at least a little sun exposure. I'll take a little bit of skin damage in order to maintain sanity.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

I try to keep the sun off of my face, neck and hands. The rest of me I'm less worried about, since it's usually covered up. I've been wondering recently if there are any other important factors that are photosynthetic, aside from vitamin D; factors we haven't even identified yet. I don't think it would be crazy if someone wanted to get a little bit of sun on parts of their body that are of less cosmetic interest and have a vastly lower lifetime uv exposure anyway. I'm thinking of something like five or ten minutes a couple times a week on, say, my stomach. For the "important" parts of me, I've joined the sunscreen every day club. I like the way it's working out.

#10 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

Mind: Absolutely agree about the daylight and sanity connection. But we get the mood benefits of daylight through our eyes, so I don´t wear sunglasses all the time. But my skin does not need UV-radiation as I supplement with vitamin D.

Edited by fredrik, 02 December 2007 - 10:32 AM.

#11 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

Fredrik:

I'm fortunate enough to have a work environment where I am not exposed to much UV light. Most of the people who work there have very good skin and do not show their age.

When I do go outside though I have been following your advice and wearing a sunscreen as well as a hat and some sun glasses.

I supplement now with cod liver oil caps which contain both D3 and Vitamin A. People already commented on how much better my skin is looking even after only a month of this. Although the compliment was more along the lines of "your skin has cleared up a lot" meaning they noticed I have less acne.

I wonder though with taking D3 should I be concerned about any increase in calcinosis?

Do you respond with any kind of chelation?

Edited by caston, 02 December 2007 - 03:46 PM.

#12 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

I've been wondering recently if there are any other important factors that are photosynthetic, aside from vitamin D; factors we haven't even identified yet.

One would be the effect on the pituitary gland/hormones via the retina as Fredrik mentioned.

But I tend to agree with you Niner, that there may be many benefits to sunshine that we don't yet understand. Humans evolved under the sun and we ignore this (potentially) at our peril.

I'm also with Mind that I'd go crazy without the sun. Of course, I live in Boston lol!

For some reason, sunshine on my face (even with my eyes closed) seems to make me feel better than sunshine on my body only - I wonder if there are more receptors of some kind in facial skin that synthesize vit d? Anyone else notice this?

#13 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

While I agree that one shouldn't get a sunburn, I think this kind of advice ("avoid the sun like crazy") is going way too far - we'd all die without exposure to the sun.

Rubbish. We won´t die without exposure to the sun. But the plants on our planet would (and we, further down the line). But we would get vitamin D deficiency and our sleep-wake cykle would be out of whack.

I may be wrong Fredrik ;-), though I doubt if either statement (that we would or would not die without sun exposure) can be satisfactorily proven.

However, I wonder if we took a newborn baby directly to a dark room - and fed her well and provided supplements such as vitamin d - whether she could live very long, or even at the very least be truly healthy?

#14 rosenn

• 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

I have a lot of blackheads on my nose and after a sunburn these all seem to disappear.

UV radiation also temporarily helps acne. They used to give UV treatment for acne. That is until skin cancer in these groups shot through the roof.

Having a tumor on your face looks slightly worse than acne in my opinion.

the UV radiation helps in acne but not fully, leave the spots which leads a face to look ugly this hapened with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users