- - - - -

Aloe Vera Leaf

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

Since this is a forum about living long and healthy, you should all be aware
of this most ancient and wonderful plant. I've eaten fresh (not processed-not bottled) Aloe Vera Leaf for 30 years.
I am always asked how I stay so fit and look so young. Aloe is the answer.
At 99 cents a leaf, it is something everybody can afford. I will leave you to do your own research on it but
if you would like suggestions on how to mix it into a delicious drink, store it, or how much to use, I will be happy
to share my experience with you. It is truly the Plant of Life.
For those who know of it but never tried it, try it. For those who don't know, learn about it. You will be surprised
at it's amazing properties. Please add your findings to this thread.

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

The Components of the Aloe Leaf

by Dr Peter Atherton
Dr Peter Atherton M.B.Ch.B., D.Obst. R.C.O.G., M.R.C.G.P. is currently a research Fellow at Oxford University studying the medicinal effects of Aloe Vera. His recent book The Essential Aloe Vera can be purchased from Mill Enterprises, Thornborough Mill, Buckingham, MK18 2ED, at a price of £6.00 incl. p&p.
listed in aloe vera, originally published in issue 20 - June/July 1997

The components of Aloe Vera can be divided into the following groups:

1. Vitamins
It is rich in all vitamins excluding Vitamin D, especially the antioxidant Vitamins A (beta-carotene), C and E and even contains a trace of Vit. B12, one of the very few plant sources of this vitamin. This is important for vegetarians and vegans.

2. Enzymes
Several different types of these biochemical catalysts when taken orally aid digestion by breaking down fat and sugars.
One in particular, Bradykinase, helps to reduce excessive inflammation when applied to the skin topically and therefore reduces pain, whereas others help digest any dead tissues in wounds. Lipases and proteases which break down foods and aid digestion are present.

3. Minerals
Calcium, Sodium Potassium, Manganese, Magnesium, Copper, Zinc, Chromium and the anti-oxidant Selenium.
Although minerals and trace elements are only needed in very small quantities, they are essential for the proper functioning of various enzyme systems in different metabolic pathways.

4. Sugars
These are derived from the mucilage layer of the plant which surrounds the inner gel. and are known as mucopolysaccharides, which enhance the immune system and help to detoxify. Aloe Vera contains both mono and polysaccharides, but the most important are the long chain sugars involving glucose and mannose or the gluco-mannans which I have already referred to. These sugars are ingested whole from the gut, not broken down like other sugars, and appear in the bloodstream in exactly the same form. This process is known as pinocytosis. Once in the blood stream they are able to exert their immuno-regulating effect. Some of these polysaccharides are not absorbed but stick to certain cells lining the gut and form a barrier preventing absorption of unwanted material so helping to prevent a "leaking" gut syndrome. In topical preparations the sugars are also the main moisturisers.

5. Anthraquinones
There are twelve of these Phenolic compounds which are found exclusively in the plant sap. In small quantities, when they do not exert their purgative effect, they aid absorption from the gastro-intestinal tract and have anti-microbial and pain killing effects. In some commercial health drinks, the anthraquinones are removed because of the fear of producing abdominal pain or diarrhoea, but I feel that they are actually beneficial in small amounts. The important ones, Aloin and Emodin, act as painkillers. They also function as anti-bacterials and anti-virals.

6. Lignin
This in itself is an inert substance but when included in topical preparations it endows Aloe Vera with a singular penetrative effect so the other ingredients are absorbed into the skin.

7. Saponins
These soapy substances form about 3% of the Aloe Vera gel and are capable of cleansing, having antiseptic properties. These act powerfully as anti-microbials against bacteria, viruses, fungi and yeasts.

8. Fatty Acids
Cholesterol, Campesterol, b. Sisosterol and Lupeol.
These four plant steroids are important anti-inflammatory agents.

9. Salicylic acid
An aspirin-like compound possessing anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.

10. Amino Acids
The body needs 22 amino acids – the gel provides 20 of these. More importantly, it provides 7 out of the 8 essential amino acids which the body cannot synthesise.

Edited by missminni, 04 December 2007 - 04:40 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

How do you usually consume it? Does it taste ok?

#4 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

I scrape the gel from the leaf and combine it in a blender with
yogurt, fruit and a few ice cubes (if you use frozen fruit, you don't need ice)
I add a little milk to thin it down, but you can use water or juice.
Or experiment. Sometimes I use maple syrup or raw sugar if the fruit isn't sweet
enough. Bananas sweeten it too.
Some just put it in the blender with orange juice. Then it's like an orange julius.
In a drink it tastes great. by itself it's kind of earthy and slightly bitter, but not bad.
I probably use about 3 oz. of aloe per drink. the drink is usually enough for two servings.
You can mix it with a protein drink or spirulina too.

#5 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:58 PM

I scrape the gel from the leaf and combine it in a blender with
yogurt, fruit and a few ice cubes (if you use frozen fruit, you don't need ice)
I add a little milk to thin it down, but you can use water or juice.
Or experiment. Sometimes I use maple syrup or raw sugar if the fruit isn't sweet
enough. Bananas sweeten it too.
Some just put it in the blender with orange juice. Then it's like an orange julius.
In a drink it tastes great. by itself it's kind of earthy and slightly bitter, but not bad.
I probably use about 3 oz. of aloe per drink. the drink is usually enough for two servings.
You can mix it with a protein drink or spirulina too.

I've tried and enjoyed many different aloe drinks over the years. Some are terrible, some are really great - I tried a gel product you mix into water that was excellent. I bought a premade one litre drink from a Chinese grocery store two or three weeks ago, comes with little bits of aloe floating around in it. I liked it a lot, my gf liked the taste but not the texture. Raw aloe stinks to high heaven and as we know, is a lackluster and potentially harmful ingredient in lots of skin care products. By the same token, it is well known as a soother of cuts and burns on skin.

#6 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

I've tried and enjoyed many different aloe drinks over the years. Some are terrible, some are really great - I tried a gel product you mix into water that was excellent. I bought a premade one litre drink from a Chinese grocery store two or three weeks ago, comes with little bits of aloe floating around in it. I liked it a lot, my gf liked the taste but not the texture. Raw aloe stinks to high heaven and as we know, is a lackluster and potentially harmful ingredient in lots of skin care products. By the same token, it is well known as a soother of cuts and burns on skin.

Raw aloe doesn't stink at all. I buy the leaf and when I open it the odor is very mild, natural and earthy.
You must have smelled something that was spoiled. I also take the skin after I remove the gel and rub the inside of it on my skin.
It has a mild earthy aroma, but nothing I would describe as stink. Also, there is a big difference between eating the
raw plant gel and the processed aloe you get already prepared.
As with any food, you get the most nutrition from it when it is just cut. Between the gel and the skin is a layer that you can scrape
into your drink. It has many medicinal qualities. I do that too. I never get sick. People get sick all around me, but I rarely even
catch a cold. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a cold and I never get the flu. Never.
More than anything, when eaten, aloe is very healing for connective tissue and does wonders for the joints

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

I imagine there has been research on aloe? Does anyone have any links to any?

#8 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:31 PM

Raw aloe doesn't stink at all. I buy the leaf and when I open it the odor is very mild, natural and earthy.
You must have smelled something that was spoiled. I also take the skin after I remove the gel and rub the inside of it on my skin.
It has a mild earthy aroma, but nothing I would describe as stink. Also, there is a big difference between eating the
As with any food, you get the most nutrition from it when it is just cut. Between the gel and the skin is a layer that you can scrape
into your drink. It has many medicinal qualities. I do that too. I never get sick. People get sick all around me, but I rarely even
catch a cold. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a cold and I never get the flu. Never.
More than anything, when eaten, aloe is very healing for connective tissue and does wonders for the joints

When I say raw aloe, I mean succulent Aloe vera leaves that has been bruised or ripped open....straight from the plant, fresh as can be. I find the more processed it is, the more tolerable and mild the smell is. Don't tell me I'm the only person that thinks the inside of this plant stinks. :tung:

#9 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:36 PM

I imagine there has been research on aloe? Does anyone have any links to any?

here's one, I will try to find more...
click here

Aloe vera leaf gel: a review update

T. ReynoldsCorresponding Author Contact Information, a and A. C. Dweckb
a Jodrell Laboratory, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, UK
b Dweck Data, 8 Merrifield Road, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK
Received 20 April 1999; accepted 20 May 1999. Available online 25 October 1999.

Abstract

Research since the 1986 review has largely upheld the therapeutic claims made in the earlier papers and indeed extended them into other areas. Treatment of inflammation is still the key effect for most types of healing but it is now realized that this is a complex process and that many of its constituent processes may be addressed in different ways by different gel components. A common theme running though much recent research is the immunomodulatory properties of the gel polysaccharides, especially the acetylated mannans from Aloe vera, which are now a proprietary substance covered by many patents. There have also been, however, persistent reports of active glycoprotein fractions from both Aloe vera and Aloe arborescens. There are also cautionary investigations warning of possible allergic effects on some patients. Reports also describe antidiabetic, anticancer and antibiotic activities, so we may expect to see a widening use of aloe gel. Several reputable suppliers produce a stabilized aloe gel for use as itself or in formulations and there may be moves towards isolating and eventually providing verified active ingredients in dosable quantities

#10 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

There are quite a few studies here
aloe vera scientific articles

one of them says Aloe extends life by 10%.

The Effects of Lifelong Aloe Ingestion on Aging and Pathology

By Byung Pal Yu, Jeremiah Herlihy and Yuji Ikeno
Department of Physiology
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio

The use of Aloe vera has crossed the barriers of time and culture in its promise to alleviate a broad range of illnesses. The basis of its reputation resides mainly with the steadfast beliefs in claims of its curative properties, but without hard scientific evidence.

The objective of our study was to initiate a systematic and scientific investigation of the effects of long-term aloe ingestion on laboratory rats. Utilizing well-characterized, inbred male F344 rats, housed under specific pathogen-free barrier conditions, we determined longevity, age-related pathology, and selected physiological and metabolic parameters. A total of 360 rats were divided into four groups: Group 1 (control) was fed a semi-synthetic diet without aloe; Group 2 was fed a diet containing a 1% freeze-dried aloe filet; Group 3 was fed a diet containing a 1% charcoal-processed, freeze-dried aloe filet; and Group 4 was given whole leaf aloe (0.02%) in drinking water.

For the longevity and pathological studies, 60 rats from each group were used. For the physiological and metabolic studies, 30 rats were sacrificed at 4, 8, and 16 months of age.

A summary of results are as follows: Aloe ingestion, both crude and processed, was shown to extend (¬10%) average life span and slow the mortality rate doubling time. Also, several beneficial effects from aloe ingestion on age-related disease were found: Group 2 and 3 showed a lower incidence of atrial thrombosis than Group 1. Furthermore, Group 2 showed a significantly lower incidence of fatal chronic nephropathy and occurrence of multiple causes of death compared to the control group. All groups ingesting aloe showed a slightly lower incidence of fatal leukemia. Moreover, no adverse, toxic effects were found with the ingestion of aloe vera.

This article was reprinted courtesy of Aloecorp.

Edited by missminni, 04 December 2007 - 11:46 PM.

#11 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

When I say raw aloe, I mean succulent Aloe vera leaves that has been bruised or ripped open....straight from the plant, fresh as can be. I find the more processed it is, the more tolerable and mild the smell is. Don't tell me I'm the only person that thinks the inside of this plant stinks. :tung:

Maybe I'm used to it.
To me it doesn't "stink", it doesn't smell great, but it smells earthy, healthy smell. Not stink. Maybe it was the kind of aloe plant. Was it Aloe Barbados?
That's what I use.

#12 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

would the aloe vera softgels be anywhere near as effective?

#13 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

would the aloe vera softgels be anywhere near as effective?

NO. not AFAIC
You have to use the leaf itself. The closer to the time you cut the leaf and
expose the flesh to the time you consume it is very important to obtain
the benefits. I used to actually just cut off enough for my daily drink. The leaf
doesn't have to be refrigerated. You can just leave it out on the counter for
up to two weeks. After that, I think they might degrade a bit. But what I do
is take one leaf and remove all the gel from it, making sure to scrape the
gooey stuff off the inside of the leaf shaft, and put it in an opaque container
(like an old yogurt quart container with cover) and store it in the frig. and I use it within
a week. You can use about 3-4 oz of the gel per 16 oz drink. A good size leaf
will make about 4 drinks. The bigger the leaf, the better. I can only vouch for it's
effect when it is done like this. I never used the bottled variety or the caps. I know people who
have do not report the kind of results I got.

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:30 AM

Aloe grows very easily indoors, we always keep it on hand for soothing burns or bites, it is a bit bitter to eat. I can get the kids to take a spoonful of gel though, like 'medicine'.

#15 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:44 AM

Aloe grows very easily indoors, we always keep it on hand for soothing burns or bites, it is a bit bitter to eat. I can get the kids to take a spoonful of gel though, like 'medicine'.

I used to grow it indoors too, but I don't know if it was Aloe Barbados, which is the kind I buy.
There are quite a few varieties and I think they have varying properties. Let me check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloe
Barbadoes and Socotrine are the varieties most commonly used for curative purposes[citation needed].

It's great that you can the kids to eat it plain. You must be very persuasive:)
You can always make a smoothee with it.
That's the only way I can get it down.

#16 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:38 AM

hah! that is why I call it 'medicine' ;) (kind of tastes better than some cough medicines)

• Lurker

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hey, thanks for making this thread. I somewhat knew of aloe but never really concentrated any focus on it.
Looks like I'm going to add it to my regimen.

Here is an article by the Health Ranger, http://www.newstarget.com/021858.html

• Halts the growth of cancer tumors.
• Lowers high cholesterol.
• Repairs "sludge blood" and reverses "sticky blood".
• Boosts the oxygenation of your blood.
• Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
• Protects the body from oxidative stress.
• Prevents kidney stones and protects the body from oxalates in coffee and tea.
• Alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits.
• Cures ulcers, IBS, Crohn's disease and other digestive disorders.
• Reduces high blood pressure natural, by treating the cause, not just the symptoms.
• Nourishes the body with minerals, vitamins, enzymes and glyconutrients.
• Accelerates healing from physical burns and radiation burns.
• Replaces dozens of first aid products, makes bandages and antibacterial sprays obsolete.
• Halts colon cancer, heals the intestines and lubricates the digestive tract.
• Ends constipation.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces triglycerides in diabetics.
• Prevents and treats candida infections.
• Protects the kidneys from disease.
• Functions as nature's own "sports drink" for electrolyte balance, making common sports drinks obsolete.
• Boosts cardiovascular performance and physical endurance.
• Speeds recovery from injury or physical exertion.
• Hydrates the skin, accelerates skin repair.

• Lurker

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hey, Mike Adams says he just fillets the leaf and puts the whole thing in a blender, skin and all. I guess maybe he filters that or something? Is the peeling and scraping necessary? Is that better for taste?

#19 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hey, thanks for making this thread. I somewhat knew of aloe but never really concentrated any focus on it.
Looks like I'm going to add it to my regimen.

Here is an article by the Health Ranger, http://www.newstarget.com/021858.html

• Halts the growth of cancer tumors.
• Lowers high cholesterol.
• Repairs "sludge blood" and reverses "sticky blood".
• Boosts the oxygenation of your blood.
• Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
• Protects the body from oxidative stress.
• Prevents kidney stones and protects the body from oxalates in coffee and tea.
• Alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits.
• Cures ulcers, IBS, Crohn's disease and other digestive disorders.
• Reduces high blood pressure natural, by treating the cause, not just the symptoms.
• Nourishes the body with minerals, vitamins, enzymes and glyconutrients.
• Accelerates healing from physical burns and radiation burns.
• Replaces dozens of first aid products, makes bandages and antibacterial sprays obsolete.
• Halts colon cancer, heals the intestines and lubricates the digestive tract.
• Ends constipation.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces triglycerides in diabetics.
• Prevents and treats candida infections.
• Protects the kidneys from disease.
• Functions as nature's own "sports drink" for electrolyte balance, making common sports drinks obsolete.
• Boosts cardiovascular performance and physical endurance.
• Speeds recovery from injury or physical exertion.
• Hydrates the skin, accelerates skin repair.

I know. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

#20 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hey, Mike Adams says he just fillets the leaf and puts the whole thing in a blender, skin and all. I guess maybe he filters that or something? Is the peeling and scraping necessary? Is that better for taste?

no,no don't eat the green leaf.
It's a serious laxative and if you do it regularly it can cause a problem with low potassium levels...
I think that's what it is.
But whatever, don't eat the green part.
Just the gel, and then scrape the inside of the gooey stuff in the leaf. That has lots of
good stuff in it too. The actual outer leaf you shouldn't eat. Maybe there is something
specific that you might at times use it for, but not on a regular basis.
I know
it's a bother to do the aloe this way, but the benefit far overshadows the trouble.
I have been eating it for a looooong time and when people ask how I stay so young,
I can only say the aloe...because its the only thing I do different from anybody else.

ETA~I just found information backing up what I've said about using the fresh aloe from the leaf.
It explains why people tell me they get no result from drinking the bottled variety.
I found it here: http://www.sacredear...ofiles/aloe.php
and have reproduced it in part below. Another thing to know is that mature plants of about 4-5 years of age provide the most potent healing compounds. I have always been told the bigger the leaf the more the benefit. I always pick the biggest leaf I can find. West Indian and
Latin green grocers always have it.

However, it must be said that commercial Aloe Vera gels are not quite the same as the fresh gel that one can squeeze from a freshly cut leaf. The reason for this is simple. The natural jelly-like substance is not very stable and deteriorates quickly once the leaf has been damaged. Thus commercial producers have to process it in some way in order to preserve its freshness and extend its shelf-life. But processing rarely enhances a plant's properties. More often it reduces a miraculous healing herb to a mediocre substance that may still give you some benefit if you are lucky. But by the time this processed gel has been even further adulterated to make it suitable as an ingredient for creams and lotions, you can be fairly certain that the remaining benefit, if any, will be minimal.

And this sheds some light on some of the rather puzzling research results: although Aloe Vera has a glowing reputation in folk usage, when tested in laboratories the results have often been fairly disappointing. Why would that be? The answer seems to lie not so much with the plant, but in the processing methods. Laboratory research rarely tests plants for their efficiency when used in traditional ways. Instead, keen to exploit a plant's 'active principle', extracts are concocted that are supposed to concentrate the healing principles - unfortunately the plants' natural synergy is destroyed in the process, as some supposedly inactive principles are discarded. Also, where actual gel has been used instead of extracted components, the quality of gel used is questionable. Conventional methods of stabilizing and preserving Aloe gel involve pasteurizing procedures that heat the gel to a high temperature, which destroys many of the more sensitive constituents, and adding preservatives, which further adulterate the final product. So, while many research results seem to demonstrate that much of Aloe's benefits may be hype, what they actually show is that we lack proper processing methods that can preserve as closely as possible the composition of fresh Aloe Vera gel.
A recent trend has popularized 'Aloe vera juice' (as well as a myriad of spin off products that contain the juice). This product is always processed, and often mixed with all kinds of other flavourings of dubious origin. In a natural form, Aloe juice (gel) is not very palatable - it is bitter and not exactly a pleasure to swallow, which is probably why it is not usually found mentioned as a healthful drink in our folk medicine repertoires, but rather as an emergency measure or 'heroic' medicine to treat parasitic intestinal or stomach infections.

Thus all Aloe Vera juice found in commerce has been processed, not only to make it more palatable but also to extend its shelf life. Aloe Vera gel quickly deteriorates once extracted. In fact the deterioration process starts the minute the leaves are cut. Thus, even handling during the harvest is of utmost importance. Once cut, removing the green, outer skin as quickly and efficiently as possible is the first step, as the breakdown of the gel is triggered by enzymes that are released when the outer, green skin in damaged.

Traditionally the leaves are cut and taken to a processing facility as quickly as possible, and ideally, in a refrigerated truck. Here the leaves are filleted by hand to remove the outer, green skin. However, unfortunately most of the beneficial compounds are concentrated just beneath that outer skin. Thus, filleting removes these compounds and discards them along with the skin.

Edited by missminni, 18 December 2007 - 05:54 PM.

• Lurker

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

Great useful information, thank you. I'm going to check out our local West India grocery stores and maybe put a potted plant shelf in our south facing window for a couple plants. I think I've seen some plants at some old abandoned homesteads in the hills near here. Maybe I'll check them out too though no telling what might be in the soil.

#22 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Great useful information, thank you. I'm going to check out our local West India grocery stores and maybe put a potted plant shelf in our south facing window for a couple plants. I think I've seen some plants at some old abandoned homesteads in the hills near here. Maybe I'll check them out too though no telling what might be in the soil.

The potted plant will not have the nutritional value. The parent plant that you get your leaf from has to be at least 5 years old. Also, only certain species of the plant have medicinal qualities. Aloe Barbados is the one most commonly grown for that purpose and the one I
have always used. The leaves are usually about 2 ft long. The bigger, and plumper, the better. Your best bet is buying it fresh every week from a West Indian market. A house plant might work fine for burns, but if you want to reap the nutritional benefits, buy a properly cultivated leaf.

#23 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

Since this is a forum about living long and healthy, you should all be aware
of this most ancient and wonderful plant. I've eaten fresh (not processed-not bottled) Aloe Vera Leaf for 30 years.
I am always asked how I stay so fit and look so young. Aloe is the answer.
At 99 cents a leaf, it is something everybody can afford. I will leave you to do your own research on it but
if you would like suggestions on how to mix it into a delicious drink, store it, or how much to use, I will be happy
to share my experience with you. It is truly the Plant of Life.
For those who know of it but never tried it, try it. For those who don't know, learn about it. You will be surprised
at it's amazing properties. Please add your findings to this thread.

Posted Image Posted Image

I read that aloe has anthraquinones in it similar to emodin. I wonder whether this could be responsible for some of the beneficial effects you have noticed. I wonder whether emodin actually works synergisticly with t-res. I feel much better when taking a bit of my older 50% t-res formulas, (along with my 98% extract too of course.) I feel more limber, less overall body stiffness, similar to how I felt when I had to take a course of oral steroids a few years ago.

#24 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

I read that aloe has anthraquinones in it similar to emodin. I wonder whether this could be responsible for some of the beneficial effects you have noticed. I wonder whether emodin actually works synergisticly with t-res. I feel much better when taking a bit of my older 50% t-res formulas, (along with my 98% extract too of course.) I feel more limber, less overall body stiffness, similar to how I felt when I had to take a course of oral steroids a few years ago.

One of the many benefits of Aloe is that it keeps the GI tract moving and that always makes you feel better.
There's nothing worse than having your system be slow and sluggish.
Are you suggesting that some of the beneficial effects I am feeling from the Res are enhanced by the Aloe?
That could be. But that would be the case with any new supplement. Aloe would make anything better.
I have been taking aloe forever, and it has gotten me this far and in damn good shape too, so I am never
giving it up. It's still my numero uno. Res will have to be numero dos.
There is nothing better than something just as it grows from the earth. Unprocessed, unrefined and
unadulterated. IMO.
I'm sure that will get an argument from somebody.

#25 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

so what would you suggest if one can't find the raw and unrefined form?

#26 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

so what would you suggest if one can't find the raw and unrefined form?

If you can't find the leaf, I wouldn't bother with
aloe. I really think otherwise, you are wasting your money. Nobody I know who
drank the processed version ever had results that could compare.
I know there are growers and distributors online that you can order the fresh cut
whole leaf as produce. Some in California and some in Europe too.
They are more expensive (the one in Cali is 10 leaves for $35.00) and
of course, unless you have others who can share the shipment with you,
it would be more than you can practically use. Maybe you could request
a smaller amount.
this is a supplier in UK
this is one in California
I don't know where you live, but if it is within driving distance of a West Indian
neighborhood, it might be worth the trouble. You will definitely find it there.
Whole food stores will more than likely have it too. Call around and check.
Two big leaves will last two weeks easily and be more than enough for
a daily drink.

#27 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

well it might not be feasible to get it ordered from overseas.

would the jelly below be of any benefit at all:

http://www.shopnewze...ood_Health_100g

#28 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

well it might not be feasible to get it ordered from overseas.

would the jelly below be of any benefit at all:

http://www.shopnewze...ood_Health_100g

If you are looking for a skin ointment, I'm sure that's as good as any.
But it certainly is not in any way going to give you the benefits you get from eating the fresh plant.
If you live in New Zealand, I found these Aloe Vera resources on a NZ search engine. Maybe they could
point you in the right direction...

Company Greenspace
Contact Person Mr. Sunderaj Perumal
Telephone 60-3-6136-7688
Fax 60-3-6136-7689
Address 17-1, Jalan 3A/2B, Desa Bakti, Selayang, Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 68100
We can supply any amout of fresh aloe vera leaf. We are a company registered in Malaysia.
Optional Information
- HS Code : 9802 Crop Planting, Cultivating and Protecting

Company Pontianak Trade Centre
Contact Person Mr. Budi Elmi Alberto
Homepage http://pontianak_trade.en.ecplaza.net
Other Items More 3 Trade Leads
Telephone 62-561-744-926
Fax 62-561-744-926
Address jl. Dr. Wahidin No. 90, Pontianak, Kalimantan Barat, Indonesia 78118
From direct farmers Pontianak Co-operatives, medium and small enterprises network trade centre, We can supply to you with regular basis and long term of aloe vera leaves. our giant aloe vera leaves could reach 1.5 kgs/pcs

please, feel free contact us if our aloe vera leaves or gel could meet your ineterest soonest.

Edited by missminni, 21 December 2007 - 12:04 AM.

#29 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

thats very good to hear. thanks for those links missminni

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:24 AM

I one time bought a 99.9% aloe vera drink. It says to drink 20mls at a time, but I was thristy and downed half the 500ml bottle. Expensive drink! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users