• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Resveratrol Poll -> Positive, Negative, ZERO, effect noticed?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: T-RSV USERS ONLY, have you noticed +, -, or NO Effect? (104 member(s) have cast votes)

DAILY T- RSV POS, NEG, NO, Effects

1. I have felt POSITIVE (+) effects using RSV? (43 votes [40.19%])

Percentage of vote: 40.19%

2. I have felt NEGATIVE (-) effects using RSV? (9 votes [8.41%])

Percentage of vote: 8.41%

3. I Have felt no (ZERO) effects using RSV? (31 votes [28.97%])

Percentage of vote: 28.97%

4. I Have Felt BOTH Negative and Positive effects using RSV? (11 votes [10.28%])

Percentage of vote: 10.28%

5. I am not Sure? (13 votes [12.15%])

Percentage of vote: 12.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

I hope this Poll helps and shows some significance as to positive, negative, negative/positive, not sure, or neutral effects while taking your daily dose of RSV.
(retaking this Poll maybe needed later)

Good Luck, I hope this poll helps

Edited by bixbyte, 08 December 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

I hope this Poll helps and shows some significance as to positive, negative, or neutral effects while taking your daily dose of RSV.
(designing a Poll that displays dosage and effect maybe if needed later)

Good Luck, I hope this poll works

What about people like albertn who have had both positive and negative effects?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bixbyte

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:46 AM

I have added negative and positive to the poll.
Perhaps if someone experiences both positive and negative effects they may elect to do a write why.
This poll may need to be retaken later.

Edited by bixbyte, 08 December 2007 - 07:12 AM.

#4 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:55 AM

It would be helpful if those reporting negative effects
could describe what they were in a post.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:37 AM

Their polling program is not capable of dual function.
Perhaps if someone experiences both positive and negative effects they may elect to do a write in.
Or someone may try to write another poll?

You just need to add an item that says "both positive and negative".

You might want to add an item that says "I'm not sure" also.

#6 rhc124

• 62 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:57 AM

I have had both. I seem to have more energy but this could be more of a placebo effect. I know one thing for sure is that I have been able to stop taking zoloft after starting to take resveratrol three time a day. Initial effects of taking res and zoloft were not fun. Now I am starting to experience some joint pain. Enough to really concern me. Maybe that should be a new topic to see if other people have experienced joint problems.

#7 bixbyte

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:13 AM

You just need to add an item that says "both positive and negative".

You might want to add an item that says "I'm not sure" also.

Done and Thank You for you input!

#8 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

I used resveratrol for two months .First month 300mg a day, then upped to 600 mg a day.
No noticeable effects. heart rate, blood pressure before and after exercising are the same.
I have some caps,will use them but won't buy a new stash until new studies are available.

#9 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:06 AM

I have had both. I seem to have more energy but this could be more of a placebo effect. I know one thing for sure is that I have been able to stop taking zoloft after starting to take resveratrol three time a day. Initial effects of taking res and zoloft were not fun. Now I am starting to experience some joint pain. Enough to really concern me. Maybe that should be a new topic to see if other people have experienced joint problems.

See the tendinitis thread. One possible mechanism involves aromatase inhibition, but I have yet to see any test results confirming autoimmune antibodies from resveratrol.

J Rheumatol. 2007 Oct 15
Joint Pain with Aromatase Inhibitors: Abnormal Frequency of Sjögren's Syndrome.
Laroche M, Borg S, Lassoued S, De Lafontan B, Roché H.
From the Service de Rhumatologie, CHU Rangueil; and the Service de Cancérologie, Institut Claudius Regaud, Toulouse, France.

OBJECTIVE: Since the results of the ATAC study, women who have undergone surgery for breast cancer and who require adjuvant hormone therapy are often treated with aromatase inhibitors. With these treatments, joint pain is frequent (30% to 40%) and quite often disabling (5% to 10%). Our objective was to investigate the origin of the pain induced by the anti-aromatases. METHODS: Twenty-four women of mean age 59 years with joint pain of > 5/10 on a visual analog scale underwent a rheumatological consultation and systematic laboratory tests. RESULTS: In 5 patients, pain was considered to have a well defined cause: osteoarthritis, shoulder tendinitis, or paraneoplastic aponeurositis. The other 19 patients had inflammatory pain of the fingers, wrists, shoulders, forefeet, ankles, or knees, with slight synovial thickening of the PIP and MCP joints. Two had an inflammatory syndrome on laboratory tests. Nine of these patients had antinuclear antibodies (ANA > 1/160 on HEp-2 cells) and 4 had rheumatoid factors (> 20 U). Ten patients had sicca syndrome of the eyes or mouth, 7 had probable Sjögren's syndrome according to the San Diego criteria, and one had definite Sjögren's syndrome. One had rheumatoid arthritis, one had Hashimoto thyroiditis, and 2 had positive hepatitis C serology. CONCLUSION: Is the almost total estrogen depletion induced by aromatase inhibitors conducive to the development of sicca syndromes with ANA? Our results should be considered in relation to the Sjögren-like syndromes occurring in aromatase knock-out mice as recently reported.

PMID: 17937464

#10 valjean

• 22 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

My nail growth has changed significantly:

Attached File  Thumb.jpg   43.38KB   87 downloads

Above you can seen my thumbnail, look at the groove in the
middle part and you can imagine how it was growing before I
upped my dose from ~500-~800 to ~1500~2500 mg. The last
few month it was growing perfectly (dose >= 1500mg). The
groove in the middle part directly appeard after null-resv.
week (coincidence ?). After restarting resv. you can clearly see
the improvement fading in. Both of my thumnails showed the same
disturbanc of growth since my school days (being now 38). The
improvment on the right tumbail is not so pronounced but it clearly
grows better too.

In dec. 2006 I was totally powerd off after 600m swimming
in the last days of summer in 2007 swam 4000 m without feeling
this could be the limit (no kind of any training in between).

Edited by valjean, 08 December 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#11 Lotus

• 71 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

I've only used res for two weeks, but I feel a slight increase in energy. I also feel that I'm perspiring more when I exercise, I don't know if that counts as positive or negative...:/

#12 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:28 PM

I am thinking that unless there is some kind of pain
or specific issue that you are taking the res for, you don't notice it's effect.
I had very noticeable knee and foot issues. Weak knees and Morton's Neuroma in
both my feet. My knees improved noticeably within the first few days of taking
Res. That was exhibited by me being able to stand up from a
squatting position without any knee pain, which wasn't the case before.
That improvement continues. With my feet, I was unable to walk for more than
a few blocks before the nueroma would start to burn my toes. Now, that doesn't happen
anymore and
I can walk for miles without noticing it. Maybe if I didn't have any issues I wouldn't
notice any improvement.

#13 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

i have an issue with painful knees and ankles while standing or after squatting and after the cross trainer. I did notice any effects on the knees or ankles :(

#14 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

i have an issue with painful knees and ankles while standing or after squatting and after the cross trainer. I did notice any effects on the knees or ankles :(

how much are you taking and by what method?

#15 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

600 mg empty stomach.

#16 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

600 mg empty stomach.

Try using it cutaneously with DMSO and try applying it to your knees and ankles directly.
I take it orally too, but I think the DMSO method is more effective.
Also, I am taking upwards of 1200 mg a day figuring it as 10mg for every 10 lbs of weight.
by applying it with the DMSO directly to my toes, I have eliminated the pain from Mortons Neuroma, which was
debilitating.
When you do it with DMSO you only use about 200 mg (eigth of a teaspoon) and 80% of it should get into the bloodsteam,
whereas orally, only 10% does.

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:50 AM

When you do it with DMSO you only use about 200 mg (eigth of a teaspoon) and 80% of it should get into the bloodsteam, whereas orally, only 10% does.

Hi missminni. Resveratrol is actually absorbed pretty well orally; much greater than 10%. The problem is that it is rapidly metabolized in both the liver and the gut to the glucuronidate and sulfate conjugates.

By dosing transdermally with DMSO, you bypass the gut enzymes and get directly into circulation without first going through the liver. However, you only get a couple minutes of this condition before the blood goes back around to the liver, at which point conjugation will occur rapidly.

I think that the main advantage of DMSO for resveratrol use is to get a higher local concentration for an anti-inflammatory effect at a particular site, assuming it is reasonably close to the surface. An ankle or knee should be a good candidate to try this on, as missminni suggests.

#18 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

When you do it with DMSO you only use about 200 mg (eigth of a teaspoon) and 80% of it should get into the bloodsteam, whereas orally, only 10% does.

Hi missminni. Resveratrol is actually absorbed pretty well orally; much greater than 10%. The problem is that it is rapidly metabolized in both the liver and the gut to the glucuronidate and sulfate conjugates.

By dosing transdermally with DMSO, you bypass the gut enzymes and get directly into circulation without first going through the liver. However, you only get a couple minutes of this condition before the blood goes back around to the liver, at which point conjugation will occur rapidly.

I think that the main advantage of DMSO for resveratrol use is to get a higher local concentration for an anti-inflammatory effect at a particular site, assuming it is reasonably close to the surface. An ankle or knee should be a good candidate to try this on, as missminni suggests.

Hi Niner, thanks for the explanation. My very basic understanding about transdermal application was that since it goes directly into the bloodstream, you get higher levels in the blood before it goes to the liver, whereas orally it passes through the liver once before it enters the bloodstream, and the amount that enters the bloodstream is considerably lower than what you actually took-I thought 10% ??, and then one more time after it goes through the liver again and enters the bloodstream about 6 hours later, so you get res levels in your blood then too. So in a way it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. Is that correct? That's why I do it both ways. They each have their advantages.
The DMSO has anti-inflammatory properties of its own, so applying it directly to the painful area with the Res mixed in is very effective.
My toes don't hurt at all. When I just used the DMSO alone, they stopped hurting for a few hours. With the Res, the pain does not come back.
I didn't use the DMSO/Res on them for the past two days, and they still don't hurt. I'll see if that's still the case today when I take a long walk.

Another question, maybe Anthony can answer.....
Might those using the 50% pure res like the R300 in hi doses be getting too much of the other 50% of non-Resveratrol substances and that
might have an effect of its own? Weren't the clinical tests they did with 100% pure Resveratrol? Have any tests been done with 50% Res in high doses? We already know it contains Emodin and can have a laxative effect. My Dad had a laxative issue with the R300 when he took 3 at one time. But what else beside emodin is in that non-res 50%? I am particularly concerned because my Dad is taking the R300's, as well as supplementing with the pure powder. He had positive results with the R300's, but he's having super results since starting to supplement with the powder. However, now I am a bit concerned about the R300's other 50% content. Anybody know about this? I was particularly concerned when someone here reported having severe joint pain after taking R300's for a few months. I can't take any chances with my Dad. He's 92.

Edited by missminni, 09 December 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#19 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:32 AM

Hi Niner, thanks for the explanation. My very basic understanding about transdermal application was that since it goes directly into the bloodstream, you get higher levels in the blood before it goes to the liver, whereas orally it passes through the liver once before it enters the bloodstream, and the amount that enters the bloodstream is considerably lower than what you actually took-I thought 10% ??, and then one more time after it goes through the liver again and enters the bloodstream about 6 hours later, so you get res levels in your blood then too. So in a way it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. Is that correct? That's why I do it both ways. They each have their advantages.
The DMSO has anti-inflammatory properties of its own, so applying it directly to the painful area with the Res mixed in is very effective.
My toes don't hurt at all. When I just used the DMSO alone, they stopped hurting for a few hours. With the Res, the pain does not come back.
I didn't use the DMSO/Res on them for the past two days, and they still don't hurt. I'll see if that's still the case today when I take a long walk.

Might those using the 50% pure res like the R300 in hi doses be getting too much of the other 50% of non-Resveratrol substances and that
might have an effect of its own? Weren't the clinical tests they did with 100% pure Resveratrol? Have any tests been done with 50% Res in high doses? We already know it contains Emodin and can have a laxative effect. My Dad had a laxative issue with the R300 when he took 3 at one time. But what else beside emodin is in that non-res 50%? I am particularly concerned because my Dad is taking the R300's, as well as supplementing with the pure powder. He had positive results with the R300's, but he's having super results since starting to supplement with the powder. However, now I am a bit concerned about the R300's other 50% content. Anybody know about this? I was particularly concerned when someone here reported having severe joint pain after taking R300's for a few months. I can't take any chances with my Dad. He's 92.

The last couple of days I felt a little blocked if you know what I mean, so I remembered that I had a few old Longevinex's laying around. Took one, felt good as new and loose as a goose the next morning!

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:52 AM

When you dose transdermally, the drug doesn't really go directly into the bloodstream; first it diffuses through the various layers of skin and into the subcutaneous fat. It spreads out in these tissues and takes up residence for a while. In order to get into systemic circulation, it needs to diffuse into the capillaries, and this process takes time. Quite a lot of time, actually. This makes it great for treatment of a localized inflammation, for example, but not so good as a way of delivering a high blood level. Oral resveratrol is well absorbed, but because it's conjugated so rapidly, the amount of free unconjugated resveratrol in your blood is not even 10%. Probably closer to 1-2%. While the transdermal dosing avoids the liver on the first pass, the blood continues to circulate, so the transdermal res is quickly eaten up by conjugation. You do get a few minutes before the transdermal res hits the liver, but the flux through the skin is so incredibly slow (even with a permeation enhancer) that the level of free resveratrol in the blood at any given moment is not going to be very high.

Might those using the 50% pure res like the R300 in hi doses be getting too much of the other 50% of non-Resveratrol substances and that might have an effect of its own? Weren't the clinical tests they did with 100% pure Resveratrol? Have any tests been done with 50% Res in high doses? We already know it contains Emodin and can have a laxative effect. My Dad had a laxative issue with the R300 when he took 3 at one time. But what else beside emodin is in that non-res 50%? I am particularly concerned because my Dad is taking the R300's, as well as supplementing with the pure powder. He had positive results with the R300's, but he's having super results since starting to supplement with the powder. However, now I am a bit concerned about the R300's other 50% content. Anybody know about this? I was particularly concerned when someone here reported having severe joint pain after taking R300's for a few months. I can't take any chances with my Dad. He's 92.

All of the published clinical work has been done with high purity resveratrol. I think that most or all of it was synthetic. Laxative effects from emodin are one known problem with lower purity extracts. There are also euphoric effects that most people seem to like, though they wear off over time. Associated with that seems to be appetite suppression. The joint/tendon problems seem to be a real side effect of resveratrol, and not just the impurities. There have been enough reports here that I'm concerned about it. I hope that this problem is not generically related to SIRT1 activation, but is rather a side effect of resveratrol. At least then we have a long term way around it. I think that if you watch for it, you can stop the resveratrol and the problem will usually subside.

#21 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

All of the published clinical work has been done with high purity resveratrol. I think that most or all of it was synthetic. Laxative effects from emodin are one known problem with lower purity extracts. There are also euphoric effects that most people seem to like, though they wear off over time. Associated with that seems to be appetite suppression. The joint/tendon problems seem to be a real side effect of resveratrol, and not just the impurities. There have been enough reports here that I'm concerned about it. I hope that this problem is not generically related to SIRT1 activation, but is rather a side effect of resveratrol. At least then we have a long term way around it. I think that if you watch for it, you can stop the resveratrol and the problem will usually subside.

So, although I am presently having relief from joint pain i.e. my knees feel stronger and don't hurt anymore. I run the chance of having that improvement change? Has that been the case with others? or is the joint/tendon pain happening in cases where there
was no joint pain prior to using res?
ETA~
Has there been any survey taken as to what product the people complaining of joint pain are taking?
Since pure resveratrol was used in the clinical work, would there not have been an indication of this reaction ?
I would be very interested in knowing who is experiencing joint/tendon problems and what product they are using.
So far I only know of the case where they are taking the R300. Are there others having this experience who are
taking pure res?

Edited by missminni, 10 December 2007 - 07:45 AM.

#22 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

ETA~
Has there been any survey taken as to what product the people complaining of joint pain are taking?
Since pure resveratrol was used in the clinical work, would there not have been an indication of this reaction ?
I would be very interested in knowing who is experiencing joint/tendon problems and what product they are using.
So far I only know of the case where they are taking the R300. Are there others having this experience who are
taking pure res?

[/font][/size]

As far as I know, only rhc124 has complained of joint pain from resveratrol, that from a 50% extract. I cannot find the other posts niner refers to above. Both my brother and I have been taking high-purity resveratrol for the past year with o joint or tendon problems. On the contrary, we continue to get relief from arthritis symptoms. If niner can repost or point me to contrary information, I'd appreciate it.

Inflammation. 2007 Apr;30(1-2):1-6. Links
Effects of resveratrol in inflammatory arthritis.Elmali N, Baysal O, Harma A, Esenkaya I, Mizrak B.
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Inönü University Medical Faculty, 44069 Malatya, Turkey. nelmali@hotmail.com

Nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kappaB), is a pivotal transcription factor involved in the activation of the TNF-alpha and IL-1beta genes. Activation of NF-kappaB in synovial cells is a feature seen in arthritis patients. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic, natural phytoalexin found with particularly high levels in grape skin and red wine is potent and specific inhibitor of TNF-alpha and IL-1beta induced NF-kappaB activation. We aimed to determine the in vivo effects of intra-articular injections of resveratrol on cartilage and synovium in an experimental rabbit inflammatory arthritis model. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Arthritis was induced by intra-articular injection of three times of 50 mug lipopolysaccharide (LPS) at day 0, 4 and 8 at 4-day intervals into the knee joints of rabbits. To the test group, 10 muMol/kg resveratrol in the DMSO was injected in the knees at day 0 and then it was continued once daily for 2 weeks. To the control group the same time and amount of DMSO was injected the knees of rabbits. All rabbits were killed 1 week after the last injection and cartilage tissue and synovium were evaluated with semiquantitative scoring histologically. RESULTS: According to control group in the resveratrol group, significantly decreased cartilage destruction was determined by H&E staining (p = 0.04). Loss of matrix proteoglycan content in the cartilage was much lower, as determined by safranin O staining (p = 0.03). We also observed marked synovial inflammation after intra-articular injection to control knees, but not in the resveratrol treated group knees (p = 0.01). CONCLUSION: This study suggests that intra-articular injection of resveratrol may protect cartilage against the development of experimentally induced IA.

PMID: 17115116

#23 quarter

• 132 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:58 PM

I experienced achillles tendon problems which coincided with 50% res supplementation.

Didn't have them before supplementation, they developed during (in both achilles'), they went away when I stopped, and they haven't returned since.

Other than that I have no evidence that res was at fault, but my gut feeling is that it was even though I can't prove it. I was taking the country life brand resveratrol plus at 5 caps a day.

#24 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Tendinitis report from 99% extract

#25 enzyme

• 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

Tendinitis report from 99% extract

Krillin - me too. My tendons are a pain in the ass. Literally. I have had hamstrings tendinosis since commencing high dose (10mg/kg) Resveratrol.

My hypothesis is that Resveratrol might be bad for tendons because it inhibits COX2 & Matrix Metalloproteinases (MMP's). This makes it good for stress deprived tendons but bad for chronically overloaded tendons.

Tendons are dense fibrous connective tissue attachments from muscle to bone.

Tendinopathies are degenerative, as opposed to inflammatory conditions. As such tendinitis is a misnomer. Degenerate tendons have remodelled badly. They are mechanically less stable & susceptible to damage.

Injury/overuse causes damage to cells. Disruption of membrane phospholipids releases arachidonic acid which is converted to prostaglandin E2 (PGE2). This process is undermined by COX2 inhibitors like celecoxib & resveratrol. This matters because one of the things PGE2 does is influence fibroblast & collagen turnover in the control of fibrosis in wound repair.

The release of PGE2 is part of the (normal) adaptive response to exercise. Inflammation is known to be harmless in loaded tendons & inhibiting it *chronically* might be detrimental rather than beneficial in the long run in damaged tendons.

Secondly, the balance between matrix metalloproteases and their inhibitors is also important in maintaining healthy tendons. Is their inhibition by high dose Resveratrol consumption good or bad? The answer depends on the circumstances.

The MMPs play a key role in which degradation of the matrix is an essential component of soft tissue remodeling active after injury (particularly MMP-13)

A recent rat tendon study proved that MMP inhibitors will prevent the decrease in material properties associated with 7 days of tendon stress deprivation by inhibiting MMP activity. So, Resveratrol might protect tendons in conditions of weightlessness for example. (NASA research proposal anyone?)

However, in the situation of chronic overuse tendon stress then over-exercising while using Resveratrol could lead to tendon degeneration by inhibition of matrix remodelling due to failure to regulate specific MMP activities in response to repeated injury or mechanical strain.

If I had the time, the energy & I was a researcher I would definitely look at this closely.

#26 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

A recent rat tendon study proved that MMP inhibitors will prevent the decrease in material properties associated with 7 days of tendon stress deprivation by inhibiting MMP activity. So, Resveratrol might protect tendons in conditions of weightlessness for example. (NASA research proposal anyone?)

However, in the situation of chronic overuse tendon stress then over-exercising while using Resveratrol could lead to tendon degeneration by inhibition of matrix remodelling due to failure to regulate specific MMP activities in response to repeated injury or mechanical strain.

If I had the time, the energy & I was a researcher I would definitely look at this closely.

Thanks for explaining that.
So it's an issue for runners specifically, who overuse and stress their tendons on a daily basis.
I thought it might be a runners issue since runners were complaining.
Maybe stressing joints and tendons isn't such a great idea, resveratrol or not.
Thanks again. That was so interesting.

#27 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:59 AM

enzyme: If I had the time, the energy & I was a researcher I would definitely look at this closely.

Since these assertions are being made of COX-2 inhibitors in general, there should be sufficient research already done to substantiate the hypothesis - or even people on this board with relevant celecoxib (Celebrex) or naproxen (Aleve) experience.
It seems that the timing of taking the drug is crucial: for acute episodes, let nature take its course; if it gets chronic though, intervention may be salutary.

http://ajsm.highwire...tract/32/7/1743

The American Journal of Sports Medicine 32:1743-1747 (2004)
© 2004 American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
Parecoxib Impairs Early Tendon Repair but Improves Later Remodeling
Olena Virchenko, MD, Björn Skoglund and Per Aspenberg, MD, PhD*

From the Section for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Department of Neuroscience and Locomotion, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linköping, Sweden

Background: Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors inhibit bone repair.

Hypothesis: Cyclooxygenase inhibitors might also have a negative effect on early tendon repair, although a positive effect on latme tendon repair previously has been shown.

Study Design: Controlled laboratory study.

Methods: Achilles tendon transection was performed on 80 rats. Sixty rats were given daily intramuscular injections of either parecoxib (6.4 mg/kg body weight) or saline for the first 5 days after surgery and sacrificed either at 8 or 14 days. The remaining 20 rats were given intramuscular parecoxib or saline injections from day 6 until sacrifice at 14 days.

Results: At 8 days, early parecoxib treatment caused a 27% decrease in force at failure (P = .007), a 25% decrease in maximum stress (P = .01), and a 31% decrease in energy uptake (P = .05). Stiffness and transverse area were not significantly affected. At 14 days, early parecoxib treatment caused a decrease in stiffness (P = .004). In contrast to early treatment, late parecoxib treatment caused a 16% decrease in cross-sectional area (P = .03) and a 29% increase in maximum stress (P = .04).

Conclusions: During early tendon repair, a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor had a detrimental effect. During remodelling, however, inflammation appears to have a negative influence, and cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors might be of value.

Clinical Relevance: The results suggest that cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors should be used with care in the early period after tendon injury.

Here's something more recent:

Rofecoxib modulates multiple gene expression pathways in a clinical model of acute inflammatory pain.
Wang XM, Wu TX, Hamza M, Ramsay ES, Wahl SM, Dionne RA.

NINR/NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA.

New insights into the biological properties of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and its response pathway challenge the hypothesis that COX-2 is simply pro-inflammatory and inhibition of COX-2 solely prevents the development of inflammation and ameliorates inflammatory pain. The present study performed a comprehensive analysis of gene/protein expression induced by a selective inhibitor of COX-2, rofecoxib, compared with a non-selective COX inhibitor, ibuprofen, and placebo in a clinical model of acute inflammatory pain (the surgical extraction of impacted third molars) using microarray analysis followed by quantitative RT-PCR verification and Western blotting. Inhibition of COX-2 modulated gene expression related to inflammation and pain, the arachidonic acid pathway, apoptosis/angiogenesis, cell adhesion and signal transduction. Compared to placebo, rofecoxib treatment increased the gene expression of ANXA3 (annexin 3), SOD2 (superoxide dismutase 2), SOCS3 (suppressor of cytokine signaling 3) and IL1RN (IL1 receptor antagonist) which are associated with inhibition of phospholipase A(2) and suppression of cytokine signaling cascades, respectively. Both rofecoxib and ibuprofen treatment increased the gene expression of the pro-inflammatory mediators, IL6 and CCL2 (chemokine C-C motif ligand 2), following tissue injury compared to the placebo treatment. These results indicate a complex role for COX-2 in the inflammatory cascade in addition to the well-characterized COX-dependent pathway, as multiple pathways are also involved in rofecoxib-induced anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects at the gene expression level. These findings may also suggest an alternative hypothesis for the adverse effects attributed to selective inhibition of COX-2.

PMID: 17070997

The lesson I take away at this stage of the game is to avoid getting injured (be less strenuously active - after all, this is about extending life, not beating records), so as to be able to continue to take Res. without misgivings.

Read more about inflammation and aging in last week's Discover article:
http://discovermagaz...w...t:int=0&-C=

Oh, and I couldn't resist:

My tendons are a pain in the ass. Literally

Both cheeks' tendons? :>

#28 bixbyte

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:36 AM

Since everyone is adding their neg effects taking a daily RSV dose.
How about some posters adding their pos effects?

Like my Glucose on my last lab test less than a week ago came up 90
My blood pressure is 130/73
Plus I lost 20 pounds and my BMI is 25

Maybe RSV might extend my lifespan by a couple of years if I am very very Lucky.

#29 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:13 AM

Since everyone is adding their neg effects taking a daily RSV dose.
How about some posters adding their pos effects?

Like my Glucose on my last lab test less than a week ago came up 90
My blood pressure is 130/73
Plus I lost 20 pounds and my BMI is 25

Maybe RSV might extend my lifespan by a couple of years if I am very very Lucky.

I've had nothing but positive effects as has my dad. My Morton's Neuroma is
non-existent and I can walk for miles without any signs of pain or discomfort.
Since adding the pure powder
to his R300 routine, which was keeping him pain free for the balance of the day
(after his morning vicadan that he would take so he could get out
of bed), which in itself was an excellent result,
my dad just had two days in a row where he awoke pain free with no need for his morning vicadan.
The joy in his voice is wonderful. He has hope for the future instead of despair.
He sees himself getting better instead of more infirmed. How many 92 year olds can report that kind of result with
any medication. His speech and thought are clear and precise. There is no druggy stupor as is usually the case with
pain killers, and his mood is excellent.
Call it placebo, call it coincidence, call it anecdotal, whatever you like...it's working.

As for the complaints of joint pain, they all seem to come from runners and AFAIC that says more
about running than resveratrol.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

I've had nothing but positive effects as has my dad. My Morton's Neuroma is
non-existent and I can walk for miles without any signs of pain or discomfort.
Since adding the pure powder to his R300 routine, which was keeping him pain free for the balance of the day
(after his morning vicadan that he would take so he could get out of bed), which in itself was an excellent result,
my dad just had two days in a row where he awoke pain free with no need for his morning vicadan.
The joy in his voice is wonderful. He has hope for the future instead of despair.
He sees himself getting better instead of more infirmed. How many 92 year olds can report that kind of result with
any medication. His speech and thought are clear and precise. There is no druggy stupor as is usually the case with
pain killers, and his mood is excellent.
Call it placebo, call it coincidence, call it anecdotal, whatever you like...it's working.

Missminni, that's a great story about your dad. I wish him the best of health.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users