Photo
- - - - -

Resv. effects after 1 year usage

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 scorpe

• 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

Started a year ago (61 y. male) with 300mg resv. and now using between 75-1000mg with fresh grapefruit juice + other suppl. (for many years). Effects: only decrease on lower bloodpres. was abt 80 now <70 the higher stayed the same 135-140. Since a year no colds (hobby soccer trainer in Netherlands often cold, wet, raining and strong winds) in the past 1-2 times a year a mild cold. I had a knee operation long time ago and kicking the ball could give me 1-2 weeks pain. Since 1 year no pain. Walking a few miles would give me sometimes pain in my ankle. No pain since 1 year. After a night with short sleep after awaking I feel good the rest of the day. Eyebrows/moustache (a few) black hairs while I was blond now blond/gray. Increased sex drive (never had problems in the past). In general feel better and more healthy. Can be accidental, pacebo or whatever I don't care and hopes it will stay. With the beginning of taking resv. I had vivid dreams nowadays they disappeared. What did not change. No weight loss or very little, appetite the same. I have joint pains in my fingers since abt. 10 years they are thick and sometimes feel infected and feel hot and can be very painful. Unluckally no change in this. Are other people taking resv. also have an increased better health feeling? May be better health feeling is more noticeable in older people. Are more older people (besides missmini's father) taking resv.?

Edited by scorpe, 15 December 2007 - 11:41 AM.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:02 PM

Started a year ago (61 y. male) with 300mg resv. and now using between 75-1000mg with fresh grapefruit juice + other suppl. (for many years). Effects: only decrease on lower bloodpres. was abt 80 now <70 the higher stayed the same 135-140. Since a year no colds (hobby soccer trainer in Netherlands often cold, wet, raining and strong winds) in the past 1-2 times a year a mild cold. I had a knee operation long time ago and kicking the ball could give me 1-2 weeks pain. Since 1 year no pain. Walking a few miles would give me sometimes pain in my ankle. No pain since 1 year. After a night with short sleep after awaking I feel good the rest of the day. Eyebrows/moustache (a few) black hairs while I was blond now blond/gray. Increased sex drive (never had problems in the past). In general feel better and more healthy. Can be accidental, pacebo or whatever I don't care and hopes it will stay. With the beginning of taking resv. I had vivid dreams nowadays they disappeared. What did not change. No weight loss or very little, appetite the same. I have joint pains in my fingers since abt. 10 years they are thick and sometimes feel infected and feel hot and can be very painful. Unluckally no change in this. Are other people taking resv. also have an increased better health feeling? May be better health feeling is more noticeable in older people. Are more older people (besides missmini's father) taking resv.?

1 year, 99% synthetic, 98% extract, started at 400 mg, currently 2 to 3 grams morning with lecithin, 500 mg evenings sublingually with alcohol, and topical application to joints with DMSO.

Bloodpressure unchanged, it was good to start with. Blood lipids some improvement shown on home testing. Blood sugar unchanged, within normal range. Exercise, increased endurance for a given volume of training. Arthritic pain: this is the best thing, better than Celebrex or ibuprufen. Selling gone or reduced to residual bone deformity. Appetite is unchanged, lost about 2 kilos. Hair: still black with a lot of gray, gray patches over ears. However, until about 7 or 8 years ago, I always had a few red hairs mixed in, even before I began graying. Then around 2000, the gray took ove and the red hairs disappeared. Within the past two months, I've noticed I have some red hairs again. One cold in a year. No effect on sleep. Still notice I have better tolerance to cold; I know it's cold, but it doesn't bother me, not wind, or wet. Cold water when the shower starts doesn't bother me.

My younger brother also takes 98%, about a gram. He uses Miralax in water. He reports similar effects to mine.

My father is 87, with congestive heart failure, polycythemia. He bagan taking resveratrol 8 months ago. Won't tell me what it does for him, but he wants to continue taking it. A year ago he had trouble walking around the block, less than a quarter mile. More recently he walked briskly with me for two miles.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

I have joint pains in my fingers since abt. 10 years they are thick and sometimes feel infected and feel hot and can be very painful. Unluckally no change in this.

What is this from? Do you know? It sounds terrible. Do you take glucosamine?

#4 scorpe

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

I have joint pains in my fingers since abt. 10 years they are thick and sometimes feel infected and feel hot and can be very painful. Unluckally no change in this.

They call it Heberden/Bouchard nodes and the hospital said they could not do anything about it. My doctor said: accept, don't complain and pray. I can handle pain very easy as when I was 12 y. (1958) I jumped with my feet in a half broken glass bottle standing up in high grass and it was far away from civilization and I was bleeding to death. A fisherman found me and brought me to the nearest doctor which was a vet!!. The vet was born I think 1890 and started to saw the 12 cm wound under my feet with a thick needle. I cried and the vet told me not to cry as cows say nothing when it happens to them. He did not used any pain killer but it saved my life. After that all the pain in my life until now has been nothing and I can think away it easy. Just a story how things happened in the past and I am glad I did not lived in the middle ages.

#5 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

My father is 87, with congestive heart failure, polycythemia. He bagan taking resveratrol 8 months ago. Won't tell me what it does for him, but he wants to continue taking it. A year ago he had trouble walking around the block, less than a quarter mile. More recently he walked briskly with me for two miles.

That is pretty impressive.

#6 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

They call it Heberden/Bouchard nodes and the hospital said they could not do anything about it. My doctor said: accept, don't complain and pray. I can handle pain very easy as when I was 12 y. (1958) I jumped with my feet in a half broken glass bottle standing up in high grass and it was far away from civilization and I was bleeding to death. A fisherman found me and brought me to the nearest doctor which was a vet!!. The vet was born I think 1890 and started to saw the 12 cm wound under my feet with a thick needle. I cried and the vet told me not to cry as cows say nothing when it happens to them. He did not used any pain killer but it saved my life. After that all the pain in my life until now has been nothing and I can think away it easy. Just a story how things happened in the past and I am glad I did not lived in the middle ages.

Wow. Life is harsh. I always used to think the same thing about living in the middle ages. I know what you mean about pain. I can't think it away but I can put it in the background pretty well.
So the Heberden/Bouchard is basically arthritis. Do you take Glucosamine? If not you should. 1gram for every 33 lbs of body weight.
The other thing I can recommend is the fresh aloe vera, as it cured me of arthritis when I was younger and had it in it's early stages.
If you can get it fresh, and eat about 4oz a day, (it can be made quite palatable in a smoothee) I think you might see some improvement.
It can't hurt you, that's for sure. And if glucosamine isn't on your list of supplements yet (I can't imagine its not)add it.
ETA~have you tried DMSO yet? that might help too.

Edited by missminni, 15 December 2007 - 07:46 PM.

#7 scorpe

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

Wow. Life is harsh. I always used to think the same thing about living in the middle ages. I know what you mean about pain. I can't think it away but I can put it in the background pretty well.
So the Heberden/Bouchard is basically arthritis. Do you take Glucosamine? If not you should. 1gram for every 33 lbs of body weight.
The other thing I can recommend is the fresh aloe vera, as it cured me of arthritis when I was younger and had it in it's early stages.
If you can get it fresh, and eat about 4oz a day, (it can be made quite palatable in a smoothee) I think you might see some improvement.
It can't hurt you, that's for sure. And if glucosamine isn't on your list of supplements yet (I can't imagine its not)add it.

My expression of thinking away was may be not so good but I try to put my mind away of the place of pain and this helps me. I have more problems of going to the place of pain then being in the place of pain beacuse being I can put my mind somewhere else. I think this was caused by the kind of trauma in my life when I was a child and I will probably carry this my whole life. I take glocosamine but only 1.5 gr. I will increase and see what happens. Also take a lot of other things like boron, boswellia, msm, vit. b6,b5, b3, fish oil etc.. Every morning aloe concentrate with aloe leaves (peaces) in it. DMSO I did not try yet but will in future.

Edited by scorpe, 15 December 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#8 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:26 AM

Thee is a conservative treatment for this which gives considerably better pain relief than one would expect from a placebo effect: Science Links Japan: Taping Therapy for Heberden's Nodes and Bouchard's Nodes.

I have a similar condition in my proximal right metatarsal joint; the pain and swelling have been significantly helped by resveratrol, especially administered transdermally at the site with DMSO.

#9 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:55 AM

The vet was born I think 1890 and started to saw

I had some gruesome images in my head until I realized you meant "sew".

#10 scorpe

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

The vet was born I think 1890 and started to saw

I had some gruesome images in my head until I realized you meant "sew".

When I looked it up in the dictionarry I had to smile. ;) Maxwatt I will study it but had to go leave now. Once a week a masseur who is treating my son's ankle (soccer player) is massasing my fingers to become less stiff. DMSO will be tried after ordering. Tnx for all efforts.

Edited by scorpe, 16 December 2007 - 09:36 AM.

#11 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

Another possible effect after a year of use:

The varicose vein on my leg is gone. I can't find it. My wife thought I was showing her the wrong leg, but there is no trace of the bulging three inch-long vein to the left of my shin just below the knee.

I've had this vein for at least he past five or six years. I don't know when it disappeared. Sometime in the last three or four months, I imagine. There's really no change in my regimen, supplements or routines. I've never heard of these spontaneously healing.

#12 scorpe

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

The varicose vein on my leg is gone. I can't find it. My wife thought I was showing her the wrong leg, but there is no trace of the bulging three inch-long vein to the left of my shin just below the knee.

I've had this vein for at least he past five or six years. I don't know when it disappeared. Sometime in the last three or four months, I imagine. There's really no change in my regimen, supplements or routines. I've never heard of these spontaneously healing.

I don't know if it is the resv. but I had a cyste in my pulse for many years and last week I noticed it's nearly disappeared. I know that a cyste can disappear by itself but it happened in the year I took resv.

#13 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

I don't know if it is the resv. but I had a cyste in my pulse for many years and last week I noticed it's nearly disappeared. I know that a cyste can disappear by itself but it happened in the year I took resv.

Nice! BTW, where's yer pulse? (Not familiar with that anatomic location.)

#14 scorpe

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

Nice! BTW, where's yer pulse? (Not familiar with that anatomic location.)

Sorry abt my English pulse=wrist. I hope a smile on ur face.. :p

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

I'm not sure it it's the resveratrol or not, but I think that I've had some redistribution of body fat. Twenty years ago I was dieting and working out with one of my goals being a flat stomach. As I recall I needed to get my weight down rather absurdly low to accomplish this, whereas today I'm pretty happy with the state of my midsection but I don't feel like my weight is too low. I'm really not certain what else to attribute this to, except perhaps a lower carb, higher fat diet. Anyone else see something like this?

#16 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

I have a similar condition in my proximal right metatarsal joint; the pain and swelling have been significantly helped by resveratrol, especially administered transdermally at the site with DMSO.

/me jumps at the opportunity to learn something...
"proximal right metatarsal joint"
um, what exactly is it?

me <- not good at anatomy and google kinda failed me :-)

with thanks

edit: i might as well contribute something to the topic so here we go:

I used to take longevinex since arround 2004 or so and have since changed to first 100mg 1xcountry life then 3x country life and now since a few months 1x 300mg relentless improvement resveratrol 99% pure and 1xcountry life.

I have not noticed anything positive apart from the initial mood lift of a true beleaver :-) due to me thinking that i'm actually taking something that really helps fight aging. Then again i'm 33 so i might not notice anything in particular.

Edited by curious_sle, 02 January 2008 - 11:01 PM.

#17 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

I'm not sure it it's the resveratrol or not, but I think that I've had some redistribution of body fat. Twenty years ago I was dieting and working out with one of my goals being a flat stomach. As I recall I needed to get my weight down rather absurdly low to accomplish this, whereas today I'm pretty happy with the state of my midsection but I don't feel like my weight is too low. I'm really not certain what else to attribute this to, except perhaps a lower carb, higher fat diet. Anyone else see something like this?

I started res about a year ago, but only hi dosing in the past two months and in that time I actually gained weight. Just a little, & probably more from me cutting back on two aerobic classes I was going to, and not cutting back on my eating. But I feel great.
I also noticed spider veins that used to be very noticeable have disappeared from one leg and have considerably
lessened on the other. As for redistribution of fat, I actually have noticed a difference in where I hold fat and it seems to be less in my mid-section
and more in my back and thighs. I also notice more flexibility and strength when working out.

#18 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

um, what exactly is it?

That man's foot hurts.

#19 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

um, what exactly is it?

That man's foot hurts.

Not as much any more. I misspoke, it was actually the distal metatarsal; the pain is in the Metatarsal-Phalangeal Joint. In addition to pain, I was unable to bend the joint, which makes it impossible to walk with a normal gait. The condition is known as Hallux rigidus in its end stage. It was not a bunion, but an arthritic deformity. I've previously posted before and after pictures of the foot. The swelling is visibly reduced.

I can bend the joint now, and walk normally. There is still some pain in the joint, but far, far less. Use of DMSO and resveratrol on the joint further reduces the amount of pain.

#20 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

Thanks. I actually was pretty close to going to bed and just after posting i found a pic with the bones sorted out so i kinda guessed where it is but thanks for helping me out and going more in detail. I need to get myself some basic anatomy etc eh? Guess i'll have to see if there is something like that in evening classes um probably not :-).

#21 Benedictus

• 60 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hair: still black with a lot of gray, gray patches over ears. However, until about 7 or 8 years ago, I always had a few red hairs mixed in, even before I began graying. Then around 2000, the gray took ove and the red hairs disappeared. Within the past two months, I've noticed I have some red hairs again.

I'd like to add to that (and my girlfriend is witnessing this):
I've had a bold spot on my scalp that was getting bolder the last ~15 years (I'm 42), but ever since I started taking resveratrol actual NEW hair started growing on that bold spot. Yes, you're not misreading that; I'm the only one certain enough to attribute this to my resv. intake, since nothing noteworthy has changed in my diet, I've always been quite healthy. It was actually my girl who was shocked to discover many new dark hairs started growing on my previously entirely bold spot a while ago. Let's keep this a secret until more is known about it, but my gut-feeling says it really is the resveratrol causing this.

#22 NootropicEU

• 214 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

1 year, 99% synthetic, 98% extract, started at 400 mg, currently 2 to 3 grams morning with lecithin, 500 mg evenings sublingually with alcohol, and topical application to joints with DMSO.

Bloodpressure unchanged, it was good to start with. Blood lipids some improvement shown on home testing. Blood sugar unchanged, within normal range. Exercise, increased endurance for a given volume of training. Arthritic pain: this is the best thing, better than Celebrex or ibuprufen. Selling gone or reduced to residual bone deformity. Appetite is unchanged, lost about 2 kilos. Hair: still black with a lot of gray, gray patches over ears. However, until about 7 or 8 years ago, I always had a few red hairs mixed in, even before I began graying. Then around 2000, the gray took ove and the red hairs disappeared. Within the past two months, I've noticed I have some red hairs again. One cold in a year. No effect on sleep. Still notice I have better tolerance to cold; I know it's cold, but it doesn't bother me, not wind, or wet. Cold water when the shower starts doesn't bother me.

My younger brother also takes 98%, about a gram. He uses Miralax in water. He reports similar effects to mine.

I have witnessed the effects of resveratrol as well. 62 yeard old woman started taking 5 g/day a year ago. She has an ishemic heart and brain disease(I am not sure if it's the right term in english), her sugar levels were at boarder line. Quality of life was low, as she was unable to walk longer distances.
Yesterday I had an opportunity to meet her again. She looks much more lively and goes for a 3 mile walk every morning without getting tired. Sugar levels are normal now.
Blood pressure gets a bit high sometimes but she does not take blood pressure medication anymore. Her sight became better as well but I am not really sure if it's because of resveratrol supplementation.

And I must mention that she was having a regimen of nootropics and multvitamins, her nutrition was changed to low fat organic food diet, lots of fruits, vegetables, fresh juice and etc...

I cannot verify that it is the effect of resveratrol only but what I know for sure is that her life quality has improved a lot.

//Ricardas Tarvydas

#23 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

1 year and 10 Months of Res supplementation started with 400 went up to as high as 4 grams (reduced to 500 mg for a few months while taking some other stuff), now at 1.5 grams mixed with HPMC and Whey Protein (finally came around to believing in Whey as a carrier). BP and Pulse down a lot, were good to start with and now very very low like CR low. Weight about the same but body fat decreased and muscle increased. HDL up, LDL down (good to start with now very good). Aerobic capacity increased, stregnth increased, energy increased....... Oh by the way increased supplement budget by about $100 a month, experimented with different diets/regimens, settled on very low carb paleo. Revamped exercise routine etc etc etc...... The problem with many people on here too many variables :) to really judge long term effects of one thing :(

Edited by edward, 04 December 2008 - 11:28 PM.

#24 octoberred

• 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

Thanks. I actually was pretty close to going to bed and just after posting i found a pic with the bones sorted out so i kinda guessed where it is but thanks for helping me out and going more in detail. I need to get myself some basic anatomy etc eh? Guess i'll have to see if there is something like that in evening classes um probably not :-).

I have noticed this also. I had male pattern baldness and it seems that after i started taking resv for a month that i started getting new hair growth.

#25 Smith

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'm 33 yr old male. Generally healthy. Been taking between 500-700mg of Resv for about a year now; hoping it would get rid of some fine wrinkles around my eyes. After a year, I can say that I haven't noticed any effect positive or negative. I dont feel any younger; but I don't feel older either! :) Wrinkles still there.. I had a very intense workout routine for about 9 months, and got into really good shape. I had a six pack, with 7% body fat, but then got a new job and stopped working out for the last 4 months. Started eating more Del Taco, and less healthy foods, but I thought the resv would keep me fit. It didnt! I ended up gaining about 10 lbs, and my body fat is now around 15%. Lost my six-pack... :)

I also contracted shingles during this time period when I got my new job. I was surprised, because I rarely get sick; however, at the time I was under immense stress.. Going through a divorce and commuting 4 hours a day.

Edited by Smith, 16 December 2008 - 06:35 PM.

#26 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Same goes for me. No colds, not been sick for years but i do not use resveratrol.Same goes for my friend who smokes about 50 cig's a day.He wasn't ill the last 2 years, maybe he will in the coming years. Anyway, what i want to say is that there a so much variables then resveratrol alone that one cannot say that resveratrol had any effect at all in the anecdote described above. I also have times when my ankels hurt or periods with vivid dreams, both disppear without resveratrol.Also my sex drive increases and decreases in certain periods, again without resveratrol use.
Maybe i or my friend would blame our good immune system to the resveratrol if we had taken it for the last two years :)

#27 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:40 PM

I've been taking it for two years and posted my results on the 500mg topic, post #1512.

I weigh just under 80kg and I started taking 100mg resveratrol in 12/06, was up to 400mg by 6/07, then 900 to 1400 mg by 7/07, then decreased to 300mg last summer, maybe 6/08.

Summary of results:

Increased VO2 max according to frequent measures on a treadmill test over the past four years. The absolute results are too high (and variable) to believe, but the increase is so consistent, on the same machines, that I'm inclined to think it's significant.

HDL went up to my highest level ever but came back down. It would fit with the theory that a higher dose raised by HDL with a delay of some months, but it would fit with almost any other theory too. See full table at bottom of post linked above.

Ain't been sober since maybe October of last year.

#28 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

started off with longevinex in mid 2005 and continued to take that up until revgenetics and relentless improvement brands came out and now just take the revgenetics x500 product since 2007.

as i'm fit and have a good diet, i can't say i have noticed anything with resveratrol but of course that doesn't mean its not doing anything... i don't know whether thats a good thing or not. sigh... :)

#29 bocor

• 119 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:43 AM

I was wandering how much resv you take per day?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

Greetings, All.
I am a male; 51 y-o, 180cm and 72kg.
I have been taking 500mg of 50% Resveratrol per day since July 2007 (18 months or so).
The only other medication I take is 5mg/day of beta-blocker.

As I have posted elsewhere my fasting blood glucose decreased by about 25% to slightly sub-normal. However, my blood sugar also seems more stable. I can now go extended periods without food. Prior to resveratrol, I would become weak, feel hot and sweaty and feel faint if I did not eat regularly. This now does not happen.

I also noticed some white moustache whiskers change to black (originally were brown).
My scalp hair has grey patches at each temple, but these do not seem to be advancing. Anecdotally, 2 friends who I see maybe one time per year separately "accused" me of dying my hair to cover greyness, but I have not done so.

I have not noticed any enhancement of athletic ability, but then I do not seem to have lost any, either, so maybe that's positive!

best regards,
Dr Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users