Photo
- - - - -

Leonardo DaVinci took psychedelics?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

I've read a number of sites that claim it has been reported that Davinci used assyrian rue as well as a few other herbs as "miracle nutrients" which helped him achieve more of his brain's potential. I'm having a tough time tracking down a valid source for this though as most of the sites I have seen are pseudoscientific and referring to each other.

It kind of makes sense to me, that Davinci and Michaelangelo experimented with these substances.

Here is a link: http://www.popoccult...ed-by-the-light

There aren't many "good" trip reports on erowid or Telepathine or Harmaline by themselves, most people claim it makes them clumsier and nauseaus.
I'm interested in learning more about this.

"According to one theory, Harmala was the base for the ''Drink of the Immortals'' in ancient times. Before Islam, the Harmala plant was worshipped by communities that lived along the caravan routes who associated it with the moon deity Asfand. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo both claimed that, owing to rue's metaphysical powers, their eyesight and creative inner vision had been improved. Branches of rue were used to sprinkle holy water before High Mass"

Edited by chemflip, 15 December 2007 - 11:11 PM.

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

I've read a number of sites that claim it has been reported that Davinci used assyrian rue as well as a few other herbs as "miracle nutrients" which helped him achieve more of his brain's potential. I'm having a tough time tracking down a valid source for this though as most of the sites I have seen are pseudoscientific and referring to each other.

It kind of makes sense to me, that Davinci and Michaelangelo experimented with these substances.

Here is a link: http://www.popoccult...ed-by-the-light

There aren't many "good" trip reports on erowid or Telepathine or Harmaline by themselves, most people claim it makes them clumsier and nauseaus.
I'm interested in learning more about this.

"According to one theory, Harmala was the base for the ''Drink of the Immortals'' in ancient times. Before Islam, the Harmala plant was worshipped by communities that lived along the caravan routes who associated it with the moon deity Asfand. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo both claimed that, owing to rue's metaphysical powers, their eyesight and creative inner vision had been improved. Branches of rue were used to sprinkle holy water before High Mass"

I took mushrooms on a few occasions as well as acid. One thing is for sure. I firmly believe they opened up part of my psyche that aloud me to be much more creative and questioning. I haven't used them for six years now, but I think the effects will last a lifetime. I don't condone psychedelics simply because IMO it can screw with people's brains whom aren't mature enough or comfortable enough to handle their effects. I think this can cause a sort of PTSD on that person which could possibly persist for many years.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:40 AM

Are you speaking of Syrian Rue perhaps? I know it's used in preparation of certain types of Ayahuasca blend to act as an MAO Inhibitor (reversible) to allow for the primary ingredient (DMT) to have an effect. On its own it has hallucinogenic and antidepressant properties. Take a look at the book DMT: The Spirit Molecule, it's by the same guy (Dr. Rick Strassman) that the link sites multiple times, and is quite an interesting read. I wasn't aware, and still uncertain, about DMT being highly present and active until 8 years of age, and will look into that since it sounds rather ground breaking if true (perhaps that's why they added that in there for the emotional impact) lol. I did a quick search throughout the book (DMT: The Spirit Molecule) and found no basis for it will try to look for it. Also if you look at the location of the pineal gland (producer of the chemical), you will notice that it is rather close to the center of the brain, right next to the Hypothalamus. Interestingly enough Descrates (the philosopher) believed it to be the "Seat of the soul".

Sorry for the lack of connection with Leonardo DaVinci, but as far as him using Syrian rue, you will find a lot of sites stating that both him and Michelangelo claimed to have used it. Thanks for the excellent post.

I took mushrooms on a few occasions as well as acid. One thing is for sure. I firmly believe they opened up part of my psyche that aloud me to be much more creative and questioning. I haven't used them for six years now, but I think the effects will last a lifetime. I don't condone psychedelics simply because IMO it can screw with people's brains whom aren't mature enough or comfortable enough to handle their effects. I think this can cause a sort of PTSD on that person which could possibly persist for many years.

Interestingly enough on a new Scientific American Mind magazine it spoke of psychedelics' usage for anxiety type symptoms:

"Current studies are focusing on psychedelic treatments for cluster headaches, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), severe anxiety in terminal cancer patients, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), alcoholism and opiate addiction." (Scientific American Mind December 2007/January 2008 edition, page 68)

You'll have to excuse my lack of format lol, enough information to find it online. Should be an interesting field. It's a great magazine though.

#4 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

From my experience psychedelic drugs such as DMT, LSD, Mescaline, or psilocybin (and probably many others) do expand your consciousness. But as luv2 stated you do have to have a certain mental maturity to take these because they can be dangerous. This is a topic that interests me and I've been studying the link between these drugs and the effects they can have on your consciousness and what paths in the brain they take to have these effects. I'm still learning a lot about it but it definitely does open your mind up to a new world of thinking.

As with anything everyone should do their own research before attempting to try any of these compounds.

Edit: Btw I wasn't aware that this topic was about 5 years old lol. I just saw a link to it on the side of the website and clicked on it without paying attention to the age of the topic. Nevertheless it's still an interesting topic.

Edited by dz93, 09 April 2013 - 05:58 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 Gediminas Jesinas

• 57 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:32 PM

Psychedelics like tryptamines really change permanently personality and rewire brain. Really felt more curious about world, creativity and outside of  box thinking boosted. Like Terence Mckenna told they dissolve boundaries, beliefs which in fact limit us. 

Don't know if Leonardo took them, I suspect he may have experimented. One of his features was that he went to study nature, while others avoided it. What is clear that he was something else, man as if he came from the future. His inventions look as if he visited XX century and he was vegetarian - another feature of very high intelligence beings.

Edited by Gediminas Jesinas, 14 July 2021 - 06:33 PM.

• Good Point x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users