Photo
- - - - -

sauna

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 frederickson

• 281 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

i have read some positive things about the effects of sauna on health... namely on blood pressure, anxiety, the immune system, hormonal balance, and as a general means of flushing toxins from the system.

my actual routine involves 10 minutes or so in the sauna, followed by an ice cold shower for a few minutes, and repeat... ending with a warm shower. i have read that cold water stimulus helps boost levels of glutathione in the body and anectodetally i have found it helps recovery from exercise.

i have heard both of these techniques can also beneft the skin too, and it would seem to make sense. i was curious what other readers here think about this or may have experienced firsthand?

Edited by frederickson, 07 January 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

Not sure on the skin effects of a sauna, but anecdotally it does make me feel "good". I usually spend 20 minutes in the dry sauna to work up a good sweat. I would be interested to see some research showing a recovery effect.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

Not sure on the skin effects of a sauna, but anecdotally it does make me feel "good". I usually spend 20 minutes in the dry sauna to work up a good sweat. I would be interested to see some research showing a recovery effect.

Sorry but "dry sauna" is an oxymoron. Proper Finnish sauna is very humid due to the water that is thrown over the hot stones regularly. You sweat a lot more and a lot quicker in a real sauna, plus it's much more pleasant.

#4 frederickson

• Topic Starter
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:36 AM

i usually throw a bit of water on the stones as i like that burst of humidity that results. breathing that air in feels REALLY good.

as for research on the decresed recovery time after exercise, i will take a look around. i am big into weight training and many of my competitive power/olympic lifting friends swear upon sauna and cold showers as a way to cut recovery time considerably. recovery is a big issue for them that they take quite seriously, so i would imagine that there is probably some merit to this practice.

#5 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

i usually throw a bit of water on the stones as i like that burst of humidity that results. breathing that air in feels REALLY good.

as for research on the decresed recovery time after exercise, i will take a look around. i am big into weight training and many of my competitive power/olympic lifting friends swear upon sauna and cold showers as a way to cut recovery time considerably. recovery is a big issue for them that they take quite seriously, so i would imagine that there is probably some merit to this practice.

You should throw more water on the stones, it's even better :) During wintertime in Finland people combine it with a dip into 0-2 degree water, people swear that the practise has scores of health benefits. Dipping into cold water changes the composition of fats, transforming "white" fat into "brown" fat (sorry no references, but these things have been studied). You can start searhing here: "Sauna" through Google Scholar

#6 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

He is my issue for a sauna recovery during post work-out. I usually leave the gym and within 10 minutes I am drinking a protein fruit smoothie at home in order to catch the best anabolic window. If I spend 40 minutes in and out of the sauna to improve recovery, then I am missing some if not most of my post work-out growth window.

I suppose I could make the shake beforehand and bring it to the YMCA (not sure if the Y has a good place to store it), or buy pre-made protein drinks (kind-of expensive). Does it sound like I am whining? Sorry.

#7 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

I'm not sure post-workout would be the best timing for using a sauna, but if I wanted to it then, some "anabolic window" wouldn't stop me.

Edit: Unless you're an advanced athlete, where some things are a little more important.

Edited by shepard, 08 January 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#8 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:20 AM

I'm not sure post-workout would be the best timing for using a sauna, but if I wanted to it then, some "anabolic window" wouldn't stop me.

Edit: Unless you're an advanced athlete, where some things are a little more important.

I trained with some world class athletes in Europe in 1990 and they used the Sauna\Cold Water Routine. Whether or not it was beneficial, I don't know. It does induce a relaxation response though after the pain of the cold water Whether or not it till is used as a recuperation technique, I don't know. These days, I hop in the steam room after my workouts just because I like it. I skip the cold water now though.

#9 frederickson

• Topic Starter
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

you definitely want to have your protein/carb shake after lifting for that "golden hour" anabolic window... so if the sauna interferes with consuming this shake than bypass it post-workout.

i actually do the sauna/cold shower routine on off days. i think it helps recovery, but it is fairly time-consuming and i do it as much for the general health and potential skin benefits as i do recovery.

if recovery is what you are most interested in, consume a scoop of whey protein (or a BCAA supplement) before and limit the amount of slow, eccentric (negative) lifting you do. not saying rush through the negative, but i wouldn't exaggerate it either as this is where most of the micro-tears and soreness come while lifting.

#10 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

OK, I see, the sauna/cold routine doesn't have to be immediately post workout, for the potential "recovery" benefits. I am interested in knowing what helps with recovery because I am getting to be an old fart and it takes longer to recover than in years past.

Anecdotally, I heard of this being used in the NFL. I watched an interview with Steven Jackson of the St. Louis Rams and heard that after the games he sits in a tub of ice water for 20 minutes, then goes into the sauna for 20 (might have been 15 or 30 minutes, can't remember the exact details).

#11 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

Incidentally I tried cryotherapy last weekend, i.e. spent 3 minutes wearing a swimsuit in a room that was supercooled to -110C (-166 Fahrenheit). Boy, THAT was cold :)

Edited by platypus, 09 January 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#12 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:47 AM

He is my issue for a sauna recovery during post work-out. I usually leave the gym and within 10 minutes I am drinking a protein fruit smoothie at home in order to catch the best anabolic window. If I spend 40 minutes in and out of the sauna to improve recovery, then I am missing some if not most of my post work-out growth window.

I suppose I could make the shake beforehand and bring it to the YMCA (not sure if the Y has a good place to store it), or buy pre-made protein drinks (kind-of expensive). Does it sound like I am whining? Sorry.

I have seen some recommendations that it is best to exercise on an empty stomach if you want a higher exercised induced amount of HGH. Nevertheless, I take Whey Protein and an orange immediately before and immediately after a workout. It seems to work pretty well. Bring your powdered Whey to the gymand try it. See if it makes a difference in your recovery. If you're still tired after that, maybe you are overtraining?

#13 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

you definitely want to have your protein/carb shake after lifting for that "golden hour" anabolic window... so if the sauna interferes with consuming this shake than bypass it post-workout.

i actually do the sauna/cold shower routine on off days. i think it helps recovery, but it is fairly time-consuming and i do it as much for the general health and potential skin benefits as i do recovery.

if recovery is what you are most interested in, consume a scoop of whey protein (or a BCAA supplement) before and limit the amount of slow, eccentric (negative) lifting you do. not saying rush through the negative, but i wouldn't exaggerate it either as this is where most of the micro-tears and soreness come while lifting.

Another technique that is used post workout for recovery after a workout is to lie down flat on your back and go into a meditative state for 15 minutes or more. Think of one body part at a time feeling heavy and warm and sinking into the ground. I would make this additive to the protein and not instead of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users