#1 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

I guess you can't win them all...
Interesting EGCG & Resveratrol studies:

http://www3.intersci...n...=1&SRETRY=0

BACKGROUND
Prostate cancer (PCa) is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in men in the United States. Many men have implemented purported chemopreventive agents into their daily diet in an attempt to delay the early onset of a PCa. Green tea polyphenols, one such agent, has been shown to be chemopreventive in skin, breast, and prostate cancers. We hypothesized that Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG), the major polyphenol found in green tea, will exert its chemopreventive effect in the prostate via regulation of sex steroid receptor, growth factor-signaling, and inflammatory pathways.

METHODS
Five-week-old male TRAMP (Transgenic Adenocarcinoma Mouse Prostate) offspring were fed AIN-76A diet and 0.06% EGCG in tap water. Animals were sacrificed at 28 weeks of age and the entire prostates were scored histopathologically. In addition, animals were sacrificed at 12 weeks of age and ventral (VP) and dorsolateral (DLP) prostates were removed for histopathological evaluation and immunoblot analyses or ELISA.

RESULTS
EGCG, inhibited early but not late stage PCa in the current study. In the VP, EGCG significantly reduced cell proliferation, induced apoptosis, and decreased androgen receptor (AR), insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), IGF-1 receptor (IGF-1R), phospho-extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 (phospho-ERKs 1 and 2), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS).

CONCLUSIONS
The attenuation of the AR, the down-regulation of potent growth factor IGF-1, modulation of inflammation biomarkers, and decrease in the MAPK signaling may contribute to the reduction in cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis and hence provide a biochemical basis for EGCG suppressing PCa without toxicity. Prostate 67: 1576-1589, 2007. © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

here's another one, this one is using alot of rsv...

Resveratrol suppresses prostate cancer progression in transgenic mice.
Harper CE, Patel BB, Wang J, Arabshahi A, Eltoum IA, Lamartiniere CA.

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1670 University Boulevard, Birmingham, AL 35294-0019, USA.

Resveratrol, a natural polyphenolic phytochemical, has been reported to act as an antioxidant and provide anticancer activities. We hypothesized that resveratrol would exert a chemopreventive effect against prostate cancer via regulation of sex steroid receptor and growth factor signaling pathways. In the current study, Transgenic Adenocarcinoma Mouse Prostate males were fed resveratrol (625 mg resveratrol per kg AIN-76A diet) or phytoestrogen-free, control diet (AIN-76A) starting at 5 weeks of age. Mechanisms of action and histopathology studies were conducted at 12 and 28 weeks of age, respectively. Resveratrol in the diet significantly reduced the incidence of poorly differentiated prostatic adenocarcinoma by 7.7-fold. In the dorsolateral prostate, resveratrol significantly inhibited cell proliferation, increased androgen receptor, estrogen receptor-beta, and insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor, and significantly decreased insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and phospho-extracellular regulating kinase 1 (phospho-ERK 1). In the ventral prostate, resveratrol significantly reduced cell proliferation and phospho-ERKs 1 and 2, but did not significantly alter insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor and IGF-1. Serum total testosterone, free testosterone, estradiol, dihydrotestosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) concentrations and Simian Virus-40 large T antigen expression in the prostate were not altered in resveratrol-treated mice. Total resveratrol concentration in the blood serum of 12-week-old mice treated for 3 weeks with 625 mg resveratrol per kg diet was 52 +/- 18 nM. The decrease in cell proliferation and the potent growth factor, IGF-1, the down-regulation of downstream effectors, phospho-ERKs 1 and 2 and the increase in the putative tumor suppressor, estrogen receptor-beta, provide a biochemical basis for resveratrol suppressing prostate cancer development.

PMID: 17675339 [PubMed - in process]

Anthony

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:24 PM

I guess you can't win them all...
Interesting EGCG & Resveratrol studies:

RESULTS
EGCG, inhibited early but not late stage PCa in the current study. In the VP, EGCG significantly reduced cell proliferation, induced apoptosis, and decreased androgen receptor (AR), insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), IGF-1 receptor (IGF-1R), phospho-extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 (phospho-ERKs 1 and 2), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS).

CONCLUSIONS
The attenuation of the AR, the down-regulation of potent growth factor IGF-1, modulation of inflammation biomarkers, and decrease in the MAPK signaling may contribute to the reduction in cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis and hence provide a biochemical basis for EGCG suppressing PCa without toxicity. Prostate 67: 1576-1589, 2007.

here's another one, this one is using alot of rsv...

Resveratrol suppresses prostate cancer progression in transgenic mice.
Harper CE, Patel BB, Wang J, Arabshahi A, Eltoum IA, Lamartiniere CA.
Resveratrol, a natural polyphenolic phytochemical, has been reported to act as an antioxidant and provide anticancer activities. We hypothesized that resveratrol would exert a chemopreventive effect against prostate cancer via regulation of sex steroid receptor and growth factor signaling pathways. In the current study, Transgenic Adenocarcinoma Mouse Prostate males were fed resveratrol (625 mg resveratrol per kg AIN-76A diet) or phytoestrogen-free, control diet (AIN-76A) starting at 5 weeks of age. Mechanisms of action and histopathology studies were conducted at 12 and 28 weeks of age, respectively. Resveratrol in the diet significantly reduced the incidence of poorly differentiated prostatic adenocarcinoma by 7.7-fold. In the dorsolateral prostate, resveratrol significantly inhibited cell proliferation, increased androgen receptor, estrogen receptor-beta, and insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor, and significantly decreased insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and phospho-extracellular regulating kinase 1 (phospho-ERK 1). In the ventral prostate, resveratrol significantly reduced cell proliferation and phospho-ERKs 1 and 2, but did not significantly alter insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor and IGF-1. Serum total testosterone, free testosterone, estradiol, dihydrotestosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) concentrations and Simian Virus-40 large T antigen expression in the prostate were not altered in resveratrol-treated mice. Total resveratrol concentration in the blood serum of 12-week-old mice treated for 3 weeks with 625 mg resveratrol per kg diet was 52 +/- 18 nM. The decrease in cell proliferation and the potent growth factor, IGF-1, the down-regulation of downstream effectors, phospho-ERKs 1 and 2 and the increase in the putative tumor suppressor, estrogen receptor-beta, provide a biochemical basis for resveratrol suppressing prostate cancer development.

PMID: 17675339

Anthony, why did you say can't win them all? Seems like good results... In the resveratrol study, it's not 625mg/kg body weight, but rather per mg food. Since the mice eat on the order of grams/day, they really aren't getting much resveratrol, and blood levels of 52nM tend to confirm this. I wonder if that means we can knock prostate cancer off our list of concerns? A neighbor of mine in his early fifties is currently dying of PCa, so it's been on my mind.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Anthony_Loera

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

I am sorry niner, I didnt clarify my thoughts very well at all.

My comments where for EGCG and late stage Prostrate Cancer.

They are good results for PG and rsv... I hope it means we can knock it off the list. I read the 625mg/kg diet and erroneously thought it was quite a high dose... but the plasma levels do appear to confirm a lower dose that we have seen in the past.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

For PC, don't forget pomegranate as well. It has shown some very promising results.

I am sorry niner, I didnt clarify my thoughts very well at all.

My comments where for EGCG and late stage Prostrate Cancer.

They are good results for PG and rsv... I hope it means we can knock it off the list. I read the 625mg/kg diet and erroneously thought it was quite a high dose... but the plasma levels do appear to confirm a lower dose that we have seen in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users