Photo
- - - - -

Seperate forum sections for the aged population

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

The aged population, especially if they have no yet encountered life extension techniques or are on the average diet, will generally be in a state of compromised function. Their muscles will have started to atrophy and their ability to cope with stress (homeostatic regulation) will also more than likely be poor.

Examples of what we could do to help improve the quality of life for aging individuals include
  • dietary advice (coupled to recommending medical checkup first)
  • supplement advice (coupled to recommending medical checkup first)
  • exercise prescription (coupled to recommending medical checkup first)
  • provide resources. We could do this by setting up programs in the local community/real world. For example, weekly/monthly supervised walks, seminars, personal training/exercise prescription with qualified individuals and so on. Real world interaction is important
  • support and motivate. We could set up a support network within the forums that would act as a motivational tool for those struggling to adhere to dietary and exercise changes.
  • lead by example
  • help organise a yearly conference for the non-scientific community that would cover life extension basics
Hence, I think that it is time that we set up either a forum or forum subsections for the aged population. Importantly, I think that it's our duty as young, vibrant and educated individuals to come together as a group and empower those in the aged population to live fuller and healthy lives.

Thoughts? Ideas?

#2 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

The aged population, especially if they have no yet encountered life extension techniques or are on the average diet, will generally be in a state of compromised function. Their muscles will have started to atrophy and their ability to cope with stress (homeostatic regulation) will also more than likely be poor.

Examples of what we could do to help improve the quality of life for aging individuals include

• dietary advice (coupled to recommending medical checkup first)
  • supplement advice (coupled to recommending medical checkup first)
  • exercise prescription (coupled to recommending medical checkup first)
  • provide resources. We could do this by setting up programs in the local community/real world. For example, weekly/monthly supervised walks, seminars, personal training/exercise prescription with qualified individuals and so on. Real world interaction is important
  • support and motivate. We could set up a support network within the forums that would act as a motivational tool for those struggling to adhere to dietary and exercise changes.
  • lead by example
  • help organise a yearly conference for the non-scientific community that would cover life extension basics
Hence, I think that it is time that we set up either a forum or forum subsections for the aged population. Importantly, I think that it's our duty as young, vibrant and educated individuals to come together as a group and empower those in the aged population to live fuller and healthy lives.

Thoughts? Ideas?

How thoughtful of you, considering you're thirtysomething going on twentysomething. What would be the cutoff age? I'll bet fifty, which would mean that I'd be lucky enough to particpate. I just got my AARP card, so I'm obviously a shoo-in. I like the idea so long as I can still hang out in the young and vibrant threads as well. Now, we'll have to come up with a sensitive, respectful label...how about "Old Fart Forum"? jk--It's a great idea!

#3 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

I might be corrected on this but elderly is generally the >60 years of age range however, with my research I used the >50 yr group to factor in differences in age that occur due to rate of aging.

You wouldn't really need a cut off group. The appeal will be to those who are feeling the effects aging. This can sometime occur in the young elderly (40-60 year age group).

#4 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:59 AM

I might be corrected on this but elderly is generally the >60 years of age range however, with my research I used the >50 yr group to factor in differences in age that occur due to rate of aging.

You wouldn't really need a cut off group. The appeal will be to those who are feeling the effects aging. This can sometime occur in the young elderly (40-60 year age group).

Once you hit forty, you start to really notice that your body is basically deteriorating. Sure, you can achieve a certain level of health and fitness, but it will take you longer than it did in your twenties. Injuries come easier and stay longer. Maladies like arthritis may start to set in. It's more difficult to keep blood lipids under control. Memory is not as sharp as it once was. The body is in a different category than when it was still riding on the glorious momentum of youth. I assume that a lot of the dedicated immortalists here will want to stay with ImmInst, like, forever. Sooo, an Aged Forum could be of interest to each of us, sooner or later. I do think the idea has merit. I hope others will also express their opinions.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

I think it's a great idea. A lot of us have elderly relatives that we might like to help, for example, but might not exactly know how to go about it. My father-in-law is 89, and a pretty cool guy. I'd kind of like to help him out, among other people. Generally I don't push anything on anyone unless I am totally convinced that it's good, so I haven't suggested much to him yet.

#6 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

This is kind of cool. Maybe I could get some of my aged but life extension/health interested relatives to actually participate (or not, but I could try).

- Mey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users