- - - - -

Psoriasis

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:07 AM

My dad has psoriasis real bad, and my sister and I both have it on our scalp. I've noticed small batches come and go on me, and would like to do what I can to prevent this from getting worse. Where should I start?

#2 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

Seeing a dermatologist!

UVB rays + salt water is a good combo to keep it at bay.
Cortison is widely used to treat psoriasis. Even though it only treats it on the surface.
You have to avoid what causes psoriasis: like stress, certain food etc.

My dad has psoriasis real bad, and my sister and I both have it on our scalp. I've noticed small batches come and go on me, and would like to do what I can to prevent this from getting worse. Where should I start?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:51 AM

Rosehip oil and Evening Primrose oil (Buy it in capsules, break them open and apply) was the only thing that worked for me.

I had a terrible and aggressive spate of the condition for years.

#4 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

There are an amazing number of things people use to treat/control psoriasis. Some of them have known mechanisms of action like cyclosporin or corticosteroids. Others like anthralin or coal tar have unknown mechanisms but they work so people use them. Here are a few listed recently in my pharmacology class:

Topicals
  • Steroids
  • Anthralin
  • Calcipotriene - a synthetic vitamin D analog that avoids the hypercalcuria and hypercalcemia vitamin D could cause
  • Coal tar - very effective when combined with UV light
  • Salicylic acid
  • Tazarotene
Other Topicals of unknown effectiveness:
  • Aloe vera
  • Jojoba
  • zinc pyrithione
  • capsaicin may help
Phototherapy
  • UVB Phototherapy (UVA of tanning beds is less effective)
  • Sunlight
  • PUVA - Psoralens and UVa
    The UVA activates the psoralens where it contacts the skin
    The downsides to these UV based approaches can be easily envisioned: sunburns, aging the skin and increased risk of skin cancer though
Oral
  • Acitretin (Soriatane) - this can have a really long half life if it is exposed to alcohol.
  • Methotrexate (Rheumatrex) - Pregnancy, breastfeeding, wishing to father a child are contraindications to methotrexate therapy. Wow!
  • Cyclosporine - hypertension and renal disfunction could result
  • Mycophenolate mofetil
  • Alefacept (Amevive)
  • Etanercept (Enbrel)
  • Adalimumab (Humira)
  • Efalizumab (Raptiva)
  • Infliximab (Remicade)

As Eva said, your dermatologist should get you on the right track with this. Psoriasis is quite common. One thing I personally wonder is if eating a CRON diet would modulate the immune system sufficiently to abate the symptoms on its own?

#5 cillakat

• 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:05 AM

i had psoriasis on my hands, feet and one leg......fully in remission on a gluten free, dairy free diet. it does seem it was the gluten rather than the other things. oh, and now my d levels are suffcient as well from supplementation. that certainly can't hurt when it comes to autoimmune and immunity issues.

K

#6 grizzles

• 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

has he tried pure coconut oil? My friend said it worked really well for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users