- - - - -

Sunday Evening Update, April 13th, 5pm CDT

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

Tune in to the Immortality Institute's Sunday evening news and interview program The Immortality Update on Sunday April 13th, 5pm CDT (22:00 GMT) for an interview with Paul Wakfer of morelife.org Website Here.

Purposes and Goals of MoreLife: Achieving more life - in a nutshell

The Imminst.org channel can be found here.

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

Mr. Wakfer is always coming up with intriguing ideas on living longer and doesn't jump on every supplement bandwagon. Find out what his latest thoughts are this Sunday at 5pm CDT.

If you cannot attend but have a couple questions, please list them here ahead of time.

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

Sounds like it will be interesting. I look forward to tuning in.

Question to ask Mr. Wakfer:
I notice on your website that you are a proponent of CR. (in addition to other things) Do you practice CR, and if so, how extreme of a version do you do?

#4 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

Will try to attend.

A few questions :

- Do you think you will make it (live long enough for some "Kurzweil-like" breakthrough to live forever) ?

- Are you currently enrolled in a cryopreservation scheme (ALCOR, ...) ?

#5 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

Will try to attend.

A few questions :

- Do you think you will make it (live long enough for some "Kurzweil-like" breakthrough to live forever) ?

In the past, Paul was very active in cryonics organization, may take a bit of Googling to find the details.

Paul and his wife 'Facing Cryonics' here.

Edited by dnamechanic, 10 April 2008 - 10:47 AM.

#6 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

Will try to attend.

A few questions :

In the past, Paul was very active in cryonics organization, may take a bit of Googling to find the details.

Well, do not want to start a discussion here, I know that Paul has been active in cryonics, but I asked the question because :
- the information you pointed to is quite old (4 years)
- it is not clear on his website (I did read it before btw) if he is an actual client. On his website, he clearly regrets the state of the current cryonics industry (not state-of-the-art procedures, regulations problems, ...)
- I wanted to know what (if any) cryonic enterprise he trusts enough to be a "future" client.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

I was kind-of curious how that bulk resveratrol purchase worked out.

#8 Francois Rose

• 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

I don't know if and how it is possible to do a live chat on sunday so I prefer to send my questions before in case I can't do it on the sunday chat

Greetings Paul
This is Francois Rose, from France
I hope you are well (Hi to Kitty)
3 questions:

1°) I don't know if my memories are right but I think you wrote in the
LEF forum that, for someone who is following a caloric restriction
regimen (like you or me), the main risk of death is cancer. It is
consistent with the fact that Caloric Restriction can prevent
cardiovascular diseases. Did you write that ?

In your site, there are many things that you do that can prevent cancer
(even Caloric Restriction by the way):
*In http://morelife.org/...is-regimen.html a page that
describes your daily regimen regarding supplements: curcumin (turmeric),
vitamin D3 (3400 IU/d), of course Vit C, E, the Bs;
*in http://morelife.org/...ietregimen.html : consumption
of cabbages, berries, pomegranate
*avoiding brown products of cooking or frying can be important
*using olive oil, thym, basil, garlic, rosemaryn, ... and keeping the
ratio omega 6 / omega 3 between 1 and 4 can be important

Do you think it is sufficient ?
(I noticed also IP6 and theanine maybe for this purpose in your personal
regiment)

2°) Another danger related to anti aging can be Alzheimer disease; you
take Deprenyl (selegiline) that could prevent Alzheimer.
Do you think Deprenyl is sufficient? Do you think something else is
interesting to prevent Alzheimer ?

3°)A possible interesting approach for anti aging is to look at the
causes of death by decreasing importance and try to prevent them (of
course, if one die of a very rare disease, one cannot say to "the
Death", "Oh it's totally unfair, it's a rare disease, you have to send
me back among the living!!!!!!!!!"; anyway, it seems like an interesting
approach). Do you agree with that ?
Do you think that there are others diseases than those quoted above that
need our best attention (within the limits that we can die from any
disease)?
Thanks for your work, Paul

Francois Rose

#9 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

Based on documentation at morelife.org and elsewhere, it is likely that Paul is doing everything that he practically can to maximize his survival/happiness. Paul has studied this problem extensively and he is now about 70 years old.

If he were younger, what would he do differently, than now?

In this context, what actions would Paul recommend to ImmInst members?

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

This will be a good interview for all of you supplement aficionados. Mr. Wakfer has a good long term perspective on what works and what doesn't.

#11 Francois Rose

• 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

From Francois Rose again
This is a small corrective or addition to my previous post

about 2°) preventing cancer, I forgot EGCG from green tea and resveratrol

about 3°) Maybe it is a stupid question, Paul because you seem to be in a totally different state of mind regarding anti aging: it looks like a global or multi-modal approach :

You practice CR and only eat one meal each day in order to have a quite long state of fasting between two meals and you increase this fasting by taking an antilipolytic drug (Acipimox) and practice sport before eating all of this in order to increase the natural process of autophagy (process that take apart old damaged proteins in order to have amino acids as new bricks)

Antiglycation treatment (aspirin, Aminoguanidine, ALT 711)

Regarding mental, having a positive attitude or looking for happiness, using tools as the cognitive model from Beck, always being active

Having a very low fat rate (in order to prevent lipid peroxydation ?)

Anyway, my question is asked, Paul. And I can add these ones: Is it the way you see anti aging ?What do you think is also important?
Have a nice chat
Francois Rose

PS: About a question above about cryonics, there is sth in Paul's site here http://morelife.org/nutshell.html and more detailed here http://morelife.org/...ving/index.html and more recently in his forum here http://health.groups...fe/message/1755

#12 Jackemeyer

• 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

RE:
Day and a half fast!

I am interested in understanding the necessity of regularity when considering eating timing.

1)
I have been told that there is evidence and that it is reasonable to predict that a periodical diet is important for reducing unnecessary damage to the body.
How important is this regularity?

2)
In a 36-hour fast, one would eat periodically: once every 36 hours.
However, eating in the morning on day 1, then eating in the evening day 2, then back to the morning on day 4. Is there any evidence or reason to consider that the switch between morning and evening has negative consequences?

Thank you,
Jack

Mr. Wakfer is always coming up with intriguing ideas on living longer and doesn't jump on every supplement bandwagon. Find out what his latest thoughts are this Sunday at 5pm CDT.

If you cannot attend but have a couple questions, please list them here ahead of time.

#13 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

I apologize for the 1 or 2 minute technical problem in the middle of the broadcast. The short interruption prevented me from recording the episode. You can always for to morelife.org to find much of the information covered in the Update.

#14 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

Has anyone else had issues listening to the chats? I've had issues multiple times with the audio/video freezing.

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

RE:
Day and a half fast!

I am interested in understanding the necessity of regularity when considering eating timing.

1)
I have been told that there is evidence and that it is reasonable to predict that a periodical diet is important for reducing unnecessary damage to the body.
How important is this regularity?

2)
In a 36-hour fast, one would eat periodically: once every 36 hours.
However, eating in the morning on day 1, then eating in the evening day 2, then back to the morning on day 4. Is there any evidence or reason to consider that the switch between morning and evening has negative consequences?

Thank you,
Jack

These are excellent related questions, Jack. The simple answer is that I don't know, nor I am sure does anyone else. OTOH, I did my 6 28 hours days per week for several years without any apparent problem. I will simply have to try it and see if there are any signs of problems, but first thought is that I do not think the switching will be detrimental.

--Paul Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
The Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Self-sovereignty, rational pursuit of optimal lifetime happiness,
individual responsibility, social preferencing & social contracting

#16 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

I've looked around, is there a place to hear an archive of this interview?

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

I apologize for the 1 or 2 minute technical problem in the middle of the broadcast. The short interruption prevented me from recording the episode. You can always for to morelife.org to find much of the information covered in the Update.

Justin, I and Kitty went to a lot of effort, spent a lot of time on this and made it known to a lot of people. None of these would we have done if we had known that it would be merely for the few (?20?) online viewers. Therefore, I think you need to schedule a complete repeat and this time make sure it is recorded and available as a viewable clip (which is the main reason that we agreed to do it in the first place). In fact, we had planned to make the clip a permanent link on our website, just as is my interview with CBC from 1999, before I met Kitty - I was on the same TV broadcast as Ben Bova and Hayflick. To avoid future technical problems, it could be redone for recording purpose without being live. Our main problem is that on April 25 we leave for our Canadian residence where we only have dialup access to the Internet.

--Paul Wakfer

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:52 AM

Has anyone else had issues listening to the chats? I've had issues multiple times with the audio/video freezing.

I have them constantly, but I also have outages from streaming music through WinAmp, but I know that some of it is due to variation of reliability with our ISP, even though our highest speeds are excellent (>4 Mbps download and >2 Mbps upload). Unfortunately, at our location, they are the only choice we have. You should first test your connection speed by using http://speedtest.net

--Paul Wakfer

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:25 AM

For those who were not present during the (unrecorded) interview, I'll answer these again.

Will try to attend.

A few questions :

Well, do not want to start a discussion here, I know that Paul has been active in cryonics, but I asked the question because :
- the information you pointed to is quite old (4 years)
- it is not clear on his website (I did read it before btw) if he is an actual client. On his website, he clearly regrets the state of the current cryonics industry (not state-of-the-art procedures, regulations problems, ...)
- I wanted to know what (if any) cryonic enterprise he trusts enough to be a "future" client.

While I have effectively been a cryonicist since about 1985 (having had previous contracts with Alcor and CryoCare, of which I was a founder) I and Kitty (who also was a cryonicists since 1995 and had a contract with CryoCare) have never since *not* intended to be cryopreserved and have had cryonics contracts in force with Alcor since December 2005, having coimpleted the paperwork the previous March. It took that long for the Board to satisfy themselves that the insurance-backed variable annuities with Alcor as the beneficiaries that I arranged with Vanguard would be acceptable. They were only familiar with insurance policies and it took that long for my educating them to be successful. (The advantages of variable annutities over insurance are several and if detail is desired, please post to MoreLife Yahoo or wait for another online interview.) I and Kitty are not "members" of Alcor in the sense that we agree with the Board or are active in the organization. We simply have cryonics preservation contracts with Alcor, the best provider IMO of what currently exists.

BTW, when Kitty saw this question it reminded her that she had not made it a point on MoreLife.org itself that our cryonics contracts are in place. A discussion had occurred at MoreLife Yahoo (back in Jan 2007, as I recall) but that was all. As of this past Friday night's upload of items to MoreLife.org, that information is in the Practice portion of the Preserving section of MoreLife, reachable directly from the front page.

I have much more I could say about cryonics (some of which is at MoreLife itself), and did in the interview - my history in it and my choice of providers - but this will have to wait until a rescheduled interview.

--Paul Wakfer

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:48 AM

Will try to attend.

A few questions :

"Think" isn't the best word, since about such a thing one needs to express a certain confidence level. In addition, I do not believe in "breakthroughs" just as much as I do not believe in magic bullets. Additional information and applicable methods to prevent/reverse aging dysfunction will continue to come along slowly and accumulate as they are now. At some point in time they will be coming (and thus combating the natural tendency of the body to become more dysfunctional over time) faster than the body is becoming dysfunctional. This will achieve what Aubrey de Grey has termed "escape velocity", except that I don't think that phrase is a very good metaphor. In any case I am about 50% convinced that if I continue on my present course and adopt all of the new methods as they come along, then I am unlikley to need cryopreservation for a long time to come, and then only because of what will essentially be a mistake.

Yes, as I wrote elsewhere, I had a contract with Alcor from 1991 to 1992, with CryoCare from 1994 to 2000 and again with Alcor since 2005.

--Paul Wakfer

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:17 AM

Sounds like it will be interesting. I look forward to tuning in.

Question to ask Mr. Wakfer:
I notice on your website that you are a proponent of CR. (in addition to other things) Do you practice CR, and if so, how extreme of a version do you do?

I answered this in the interview (that never got recorded), but will do so here a bit more precisely. The idea of a percentage of CR makes no sense for one person, since there is no ad lib amount wrt which the percentage can be taken and, in any case, for a human who has volotional choices, the whole meaning of AL is very different than for a mouse or a rat. What I go by is my daily caloric intake (about 2000), my BMI (~19.6) and my fat percentage (typically 1.5 on arising measured on a Tanita scale in athelete mode - for those with basal pulse under 60). Clearly I don't really have any more fat to lose and since I have no more strength and muscle than I want and need to do the activities that I most enjoy, I also do not want to lose any muscle. In addition, my cholesterol is already as low as I want it to be. Therefore, I have no desire to cut down any more on my caloric intake. Beside which, I think that eating a very superior diet, exercising (most very enjoyable dancing to trance, break, house, eurodance and other energetic music - which is mental and artistic activity also), resting and great mental activity (just look at my creative MoreLife and SelfSIP website output) plus a very full complement of supplements including all the latest chemicals, will enable me to combat all aging parameters even more than mere 40% CR does.

--Paul Wakfer

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:30 AM

Just one additional point on this.
I don't have a very high "trust" in any extant cryonics organization.
I chose to enroll with Alcor when I did because:

1) I think that overall they will cryopreseve me better than CI will (if I should need it before something better comes along, of course).
2) Alcor was about to drastically raise their prices and I decided to get in before they did.
3) Although I always intended to be cryopreserved if I should need it, there is still a slight gap of possible situations in which one would not be cryopreseved unless one is totally enrolled in advance (of course there are also many situations where one would not get cryopreserved even if one *is* enrolled).
4) Whatever the chances of any cryonic organization enabling you to return to full function in the future, being cryopreserved is better then any other alternative currently available.

--Paul Wakfer

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:35 AM

Based on documentation at morelife.org and elsewhere, it is likely that Paul is doing everything that he practically can to maximize his survival/happiness. Paul has studied this problem extensively and he is now about 70 years old.

If he were younger, what would he do differently, than now?

In this context, what actions would Paul recommend to ImmInst members?

Mainly I would take far fewer pharmacological doses of supplements and chemicals than I now do. No one has ever taken them for decades, and for anyone young, they are an unnecessary risk, IMO. Instead a person younger than 40 should place their emphasis on diet, exercise, rest and relaxation.

--Paul Wakfer

#24 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Paul for your detailled responses.

I was present during the chat session (although it was quite late for european members). Too bad that a technical problem prevented to record the chat.

#25 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

In addition, my cholesterol is already as low as I want it to be

Paul, based on various sources, including the recently released book, Good Calorie, Bad Calorie, and Bill Sardi's many articles (such as his March 26, 08 blog update: http://www.knowledge...holesterol.html -- you'll need to scroll down to "Coronary Calcification Predicts Future Heart Attacks and Coronary Death. Cholesterol Not Found To Be A Significant Risk Factor"), I am becoming more and more convinced that total cholesterol is something of a red herring. Oxidized cholesterol is a concern, but generally calcification should be the chief concern. Any thoughts on this?

#26 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Darn, I was wanting to listen to this. So the recording completely messed up?

• Lurker

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

In addition, my cholesterol is already as low as I want it to be

Paul, based on various sources, including the recently released book, Good Calorie, Bad Calorie, and Bill Sardi's many articles (such as his March 26, 08 blog update: http://www.knowledge...holesterol.html -- you'll need to scroll down to "Coronary Calcification Predicts Future Heart Attacks and Coronary Death. Cholesterol Not Found To Be A Significant Risk Factor"), I am becoming more and more convinced that total cholesterol is something of a red herring. Oxidized cholesterol is a concern, but generally calcification should be the chief concern. Any thoughts on this?

I mostly agree with that. As long as HDL is reasonably high (certainly above 50) and TGs are low (they are more related to fructose/glucose intake) and the profile of HDL, LDL and VLDL types is not too bad (get a VAP test to find out), then a total cholesterol anywhere from 120 to 180 is likely okay and perhaps even from 100 to 200. And yes, oxidized LDL is a concern, but even worse, for many reasons would be high homocysteine.

Please note this will be my last response on this thread, and likely on anything else on Immist.org unless/until the name is changed. I only registered now because of the interview.
If anyone has any more questions then join MoreLife Yahoo, identify yourself as required by the group's policy (sent to all new members) and ask them there.

In addition since the fiasco regarding the non-recording of the interview and my request to Justin that, in justice to my and Kitty's efforts towards it, that it should be done again (either on-air or merely recorded off-air and made available as a Ustream clip), I have had no response from Justin or anyone else in the leadership of Imminst. I do not consider this to be something that can be laughed off with an "oh well, these things just happen". Instead there is responsibility to "make good" involved here and I require Imminst to fulfill its effective contract extended to me as part of the interview invitation.

--Paul Wakfer

#28 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

(snip) dancing to trance, break, house, eurodance and other energetic music (snip)

Cool music! :) You might like Above and Beyond's weekly webcast.

I too am disappointed about the absence of a recording. I'd love to hear more about the 28 hour day cycle. Too bad it is so difficult to fit into societal patterns or I'd probably try it. One cool way would be to live on an airship that could continually travel West creating 28 hour cycles with natural day and night.

• Lurker

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:34 AM

(snip) dancing to trance, break, house, eurodance and other energetic music (snip)

Cool music! :) You might like Above and Beyond's weekly webcast.

I will check it out. We listen to DI.fm regularly.

I too am disappointed about the absence of a recording. I'd love to hear more about the 28 hour day cycle. Too bad it is so difficult to fit into societal patterns or I'd probably try it. One cool way would be to live on an airship that could continually travel West creating 28 hour cycles with natural day and night.

The way our 6 28 hour cycles weekly worked is described in reasonable detail on the personal section of morelife.org If you have any additional questions or comments then post at the Yahoo group morelife where is has also been discussed.

--Paul Wakfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users