• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:23 PM

Posted Image

[>] LINK

New Scientist brings you the choice of a lifetime.
Live Later and have your body cryogenically preserved. Cryonics - the idea of freezing people when they die ready to be revived and restored to health centuries in the future- has always been controversial. Will it ever work? Here's your chance to find out. If you choose the cryonics prize your body will frozen at the Cryonics Institute in Michigan upon your death.

Live Now and jet off to Hawaii with a friend. If you'd rather leave the future to itself New Scientist will fly you and a friend to Hawaii for a week to visit the world's highest observatory. Look back millions of years by viewing the stars from Mauna Kea.

It's your choice.

All you have to do to enter the weirdest competition in the world is collect three differently numbered coupons from the new-look New Scientist (which appear in each issue until 19 October) and answer the four questions below. The Bonus Voucher can be used in place of any ONE of the vouchers from the magazine.

1. What is the name of the last section that appears in the magazine?
2. In which section do you find the latest news about research and innovation?
3. What is the New Scientist web site address?
4. Which prize would you prefer and why (in not more than 25 words)?

Competition entries must be received by 5pm on 30 October 2002. For full terms and conditions click here. One winner will be chosen from all completed entries.

Send your 3 coupons, 4 answers and contact details ( First Name, Surname, *Age, Address, Postcode, *Phone number, *Email (*these are optional)) to:
New Scientist Weirdest Competition
MMS, 2a Tattershall Road Ind. Estate, Woodhall Spa, Lincs, LN10 6TW

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:30 PM

Hehe, the competition is now over:

Congratulations to Helen Tibble from Longleton, Cheshire, who won 'The Weirdest Competition in the World'. Helen has chosen the option to travel to Hawaii and visit Mauna Kea.

Over 800 fully completed entries were received from 25 countries. Over 73% of entrants opted to go to Hawaii if they won, and 27% said that they would prefer to be cryonically preserved.

#3 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:43 PM

hm. must confess that I thought the percentage for cryo would be higher. [unsure]

#4 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:20 AM

Actually, I'm suprised it was this high.. however it is a science mag.

I think I remember percentages lower than 10% for those in favor of cryonics in a general population.

#5 Elohim

• Guest Raëlian Philosopher
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:11 AM

I'm keen on the idea of cryonics, but the only way I'll ever be able to afford it is if I win it. I doubt it will be made affordable in our lifetimes, which is why I support AGP cloning.

#6 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:23 AM

Hi Raëlian,

It is actually fairly reasonable if you finance it with life insurance. The costs are roughly $300 a year for the membership and whatever the monthly premium is on the life insurance policy. The premiums will vary with age and health status, but they can be under $10 a month if you are fairly young and in good shape.

Best,
Ocsrazor

#7 Casanova

• 93 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:54 PM

Hmmm?
Hawaii now, or waking up in the future with the biggest hangover in recorded history.
What if some goon in the future nuked Hawaii with an H-Bomb, and when you were revived, you couldn't go there any longer?

I don't even have health insurance, or a health plan, so my genes are out of the loop.

#8 galtsgulch

• 51 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:11 AM

I joined Alcor, and my total yearly expenses (including insurance) are about $1,200 a year. CI would have been much cheaper, but I personally prefer the procedures espoused by Alcor.

No one can predict WHEN they're going to die, whether by natural causes or by accident; thus. IMHO, $1,200 IS VERY CHEAP FOR EVEN THE REMOTE POSSIBILITY OF "COMING BACK" FROM THE DEAD!

#9 Utnapishtim

• 219 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:11 PM

John
It all depends on your estimation of the likelihood of cryonics being successful AND how much money $1200 a year is to you.

I'd be interested in how you define remote

Edited by Utnapishtim, 09 June 2003 - 12:12 PM.

#10 celindra

• 43 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:03 PM

I'm rather surprised at the 27% in favor of cryonics.

By the way, if you request an application from Alcor, you get a nifty black Alcor t-shirt. I wear mine all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users