• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Tomoji Tanabe (113)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

Does anyone here know how he is currently doing or any additional information not mentioned on the wikipedia page?He seems to be exceptionally almost unnaturally spry compared to other "world's oldest man" titleholders.

http://www.japantime...20070619a6a.jpg

A picture of him standing straight without support.

I would guess that he could beat Mortensen but I also know that Joan Riudavets remained extremely spry and then just suddenly died..

Interesting that he says he wants to live forever.in many people's eyes he has probably already done that...

(edited by Matthias: data added to the title)

Edited by Matthias, 21 September 2008 - 09:24 AM.

#2 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:42 PM

Well I discovered the thread :Should Imminst try to save the world's oldest man........

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn...309852#19309852

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Tomoji Tanabe is in excellent health as of September 11 looking forward to his 113th birthday. He says he wants to be the oldest person ever.

http://mdn.mainichi....0na015000c.html

I also saw a movie featuring him walking around in his house unaided and talking with reporters, however I can't find it...

#5 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

http://www.timesonli...icle4777884.ece

his 113th birthday... his health at that age is certainly unique.Maybe Calment could match it but noone else...

#6 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:48 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...japan_oldest_dc

Happy 113th birthday for world's oldest man

Thu Sep 18, 1:09 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - The world's oldest man celebrated his 113th birthday on Thursday, telling reporters at his home in southern Japan about his joyful life and healthy appetite.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm happy," said Tomoji Tanabe as the local mayor presented him with flowers and a giant tea cup glazed with his name and date of birth. "I'm well. I eat a lot," he added.

Tanabe, recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest living male last year, eats mostly vegetables and believes the key to longevity is not drinking alcohol.

The former civil servant lives with his son, drinks milk every day and has no major illnesses, although he now writes in his diary only once or twice a month. He used to write on a daily basis.

"His favorite food is fried shrimp, but we've heard that he's cut back on oily food," said an official at his hometown of Miyakonojo, about 900 km (560 miles) southwest of Tokyo.

"He's said he wants to live for another 10 years, that he doesn't want to die." The Japanese are among the world's longest-lived people, with the number of those aged 100 or older at a record 36,276, a government report last week showed.

Japanese women have topped the world's longevity ranks for 23 years, while men rank third after Iceland and Hong Kong.

#7 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

"Born in Miyakonojo, Miyazaki Prefecture, Tanabe worked as a civil engineer at the city office.[1] He has eight children, 25 grandchildren and 54 great-grandchildren.[2] He says total abstinence from alcohol is the secret to his longevity.[3] On his 112th birthday, he stated: "I want to live forever. I don't want to die" He eats vegetables and does not drink alcohol, just daily milk.[4][5] "

he'd be a good spokesperson for living forever

I never drank alcohol either. i feel the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption can be gotten from other sources.

I simply never found the need/desire/want to touch alcohol. That, and as a very young child at 5 or 6 yr old, i accidentally sipped some kind of wine or sake, having mistook it for soda, and of course it tasted horrible for me at the undeveloped age.

I went to some frat parties and other alcohol-abundant situations where beer was flowing like river w/ as much alcohol as you can drink, but never feel tempted. I've run in some road races, and the long ones like 10K , half-marathon, and marathon tend to have beer fests type of parties at finish lines. i simply give my entitled beers to others.

i may try wine when i near middle age as they're a good source of resveratrol and there'll likely be more social occasions for me to at least sip some wine.

Edited by HYP86, 21 September 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#8 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

I wrote this to GRG and my blog but will also just paste it here;

From previous articles and new articles he Eats a diet that is mainly vegetables, drink green tea, eat fish, drink milk, {doesn't snack }, doesn't smoke, and doesn't drink alcohol. Sounds like he has done everything right. Although we have another good model for a similar lifestyle, the seventh day adventists, they don't live to this age... but neither are the SDA calorie restricted or anything either as a previous study found they had a bmi of 24-25. Is it possible Tanabe has been on a lifelong CR diet with 'optimal nutrition'.

I'd love to see a video of this guy to see how he well he sounds and acts for his age, I don't think calment looked that good at her age?

Unfortunately as many here probably know by now, there can be a 'rapid decline' in health at that age, even in a space of a year.

Edited by Matt, 21 September 2008 - 06:41 PM.

#9 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

I wrote this to GRG and my blog but will also just paste it here;

From previous articles and new articles he Eats a diet that is mainly vegetables, drink green tea, eat fish, drink milk, {doesn't snack }, doesn't smoke, and doesn't drink alcohol. Sounds like he has done everything right. Although we have another good model for a similar lifestyle, the seventh day adventists, they don't live to this age... but neither are the SDA calorie restricted or anything either as a previous study found they had a bmi of 24-25. Is it possible Tanabe has been on a lifelong CR diet with 'optimal nutrition'.

I'd love to see a video of this guy to see how he well he sounds and acts for his age, I don't think calment looked that good at her age?

Unfortunately as many here probably know by now, there can be a 'rapid decline' in health at that age, even in a space of a year.

I saw videos of him on the internet walking around in his house unaided!! I don't remember the website however. He is very sharp when talking.

Calment looked very well at 113,she also walked around without assistance at that age. She walked unaided until shortly before her 115th birthday when she fell in a staircase after visiting a neighbour.I don't think she could walk at all after that accident however. (She maybe could walk short distances with a walker or so but I've never seen pictures of her doing that after 115)

I think Tomoji may have been on mild CR but definitely not as severe as your CR( he is not fat but not very thin in pictures from early life)

Yes sometimes death can occur in supercentenarians without being extremely frail like in the case of Joan Riudavets who died of a cold and was able to walk and read the newspapers until the end.

#10 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

How the hell do these supercentenarians always know it's the abstinence from alcohol that is the secret? Why is not the CR, the vegetables, the exercise or whatever? Granted, it's bad news for me if alcohol shortens my lifespan, because I happen to enjoy it, but it does seem like these people tend to concentrate too much on alcohol and ignore the rest of the possible reasons.

What think ye?

#11 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

If someone says that they abstain from alcohol it sounds like they are healthy.

However it might be unhealthy to abstain from alcohol due to the cardiovascular benefits of ethanol but I don't know the studies very well.

Calment drank a glass of wine daily.

#12 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

I think the real question is whether red wine or other moderate alcohol drinking can increase or augment ones health, if they're already eating healthy lifestyle, and this was the big debate over at the CR society which comes up every now and then.

#13 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

I think the real question is whether red wine or other moderate alcohol drinking can increase or augment ones health, if they're already eating healthy lifestyle, and this was the big debate over at the CR society which comes up every now and then.

Matt: as a CR practitioner, do you drink alcohol?

#14 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Matt: as a CR practitioner, do you drink alcohol?

I've only ever had a very small amount of alcohol when I was 16, by small I mean a few sips. I'm now almost 24 and haven't drank any since. I don't like alcohol and don't see the point in taking up drinking for myself.

Edited by Matt, 21 September 2008 - 09:34 PM.

#15 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

Some more details about him here;

http://www.theaustra...74-2703,00.html

"TOMOJI Tanabe doesn't smoke or drink and eats hardly any meat. He rises at 5.30am and is in bed by 9pm, has 91 direct descendants, and hopes to be among them for another decade."

"Although tiny, weighing less than 50kg and standing 145cm (4.76 ft), Mr Tanabe eats well - and wisely - reads the morning newspaper, walks around the house, and writes his diary, although now only about every second day, to keep his wits sharp. "He has very strong discipline and does not give in to what he doesn't like or believe," said Motouri. "His sense of justice is important to him. He says, 'A bad thing is a bad thing, so you should not do it'."

Edited by Matt, 23 September 2008 - 04:01 PM.

#16 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

wow that's really short, I wonder if that could explain part of his longevity.

#17 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

Extremely sad news, Tomoji Tanabe has died of heart failure! How did this happen? How could someone who was so spry be dead only 9 months later?

Henry Allingham now takes over the title, he looks extremely frail, it is a big difference in the appearance of Henry and Tomoji on their 113th birthdays.

It seems like although you remain healthy you can only live so long. Just like a marathon runner could run a Marathon aged 90 and then die of "old age" a couple of years later.

He should have been cryopreserved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users