Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

new ways to make relief blankets

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

I have a few ideas about fabric objects that might be of value to those with need. I don't know how to knit or use a sewing machine, but I have tried being a homeless refugee.

I thought that the wonderful relief people that make items might ponder these pattern ideas; I made ascii art versions at imminst.org

Creating a few blankets from a blanket
first think of a blanket with a rippable stitch near a fray resistant double hem stitch (frayless divider) Pulling makes two or three blankets possible with a talented threadpulling; a mom could make two or three baby blankets, or if the stitching is easy, nappies
-------------------|                 ||                 |===================|                 ||       blanket   ||                 ||                 |===================|                 ||                 |-------------------

Creating a refugee backpack from a blanket
as a refugee there is a big difference between a sack slung over the shoulder n a backpack. When walking on foot from a "hostile" region to a refugee state I have found that a highly effective backpack can be made from three trash bags with two bags tied to the corners of the bag as shoulder loops; I then used scraps of plastic to squinch up the shoulder loops as an adjustment (just making it right is better though). heavy plastic bags from printshop dumpsters work well as these are corner poke resistant. Idea fabric version would be even more durable, but the big opportunity is to make a blanket with Frayless divider stitching such that the double layer blanket could be modified to a backpack as necessary.
-------------------/|/__________________/|||                 | |||                 | ||=================== |||                 | |||       blanket   | |||                 | |||                 | ||=================== |||                 | |||                 | |/--------------------/

Hammock
I've noticed that laying on the ground is less comfy than being a few feet above ground; I think Frayless divider or even just decorative work could put a cheap hammock like http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem as a removable useable decoration; children are much less likely to die if protected from heat stress so a hammock on a relief blanket is really a beneficial thing

Tent
This is different than my refugee behavior but I've seen people make tents. It could be that making a ---<---< place where blankets overlap with a -<- plus have eyelet spaces could create a way that refugees could combine multiple blankets to a tent size tarp /\ even just having a channel hem through each side creates the ability to make a privacy screen or cshade particularly if there is a lengthy removable Frayless divider that can be pulled from the blanket as a suspension line

Baby Carriers
I think a Frayless divider blanket could also be patterned to make a few baby carriers as well

Footwear
When my footware wore through I was able to wrap plastic around my feet to block the prickly grassseeds; a blanket with Frayless divider footwear patterns would be superb; think of valley forge; I think a kevlar valley forge part of a blanket could bring durable benefit. kevlar fabric online at http://www.google.co...;q=kevlar socks

from a professors perspective as well as the perspective of a group of creative Relief Society people numerous things could be created; perhaps tangrams http://www.learnnc.o...ference/tangram might be a way to visualize useful forms

the nifty thing is that the banket could have fabric squares on it it with graphic nonverbal directions on how to turn knitted blankets to baby balankets, backpacks, hammocks, tents, suspension lines, footwear. it is my preference though that any organization that uses these ideas adminster them absent testimony; I guess if you imagine the idea of antibiotics it would be better if they were just given as antibiotics rather than printed on persuasive materials

Edited by treonsverdery, 17 May 2008 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users