• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Poll on a new name for imminst

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

Poll: New name poll (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Check all the names that you are for to help narrow it down for future polls.

1. institute formerly known as immortality (with a sideways 8 symbol) (8 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

2. kick the reaper (7 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

3. Klein institute (12 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. kronos cabal (dictionary.com def. of kronos "A Titan who ruled the universe until dethroned by his son Zeus." of Cabal "a small group of secret plotters, as against a government or person in authority.") (5 votes [4.31%])

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

5. lasting lifespan (5 votes [4.31%])

6. lazarus (that guy Jesus supposedly raised from the dead.) (7 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

7. life extension (11 votes [9.48%])

Percentage of vote: 9.48%

8. life extension existence experience (XXX) (5 votes [4.31%])

9. life foundation (9 votes [7.76%])

Percentage of vote: 7.76%

10. life preservation (5 votes [4.31%])

11. life reach (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

12. life span (9 votes [7.76%])

13. life unlimited (12 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

14. life with out limits (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

15. life, unlimited (9 votes [7.76%])

1. life+ (14 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

2. life1000+ (4 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

3. lifespan (9 votes [7.63%])

Percentage of vote: 7.63%

4. lifespan+ (12 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

5. life span research and advocacy (11 votes [9.32%])

Percentage of vote: 9.32%

6. life wish (3 votes [2.54%])

Percentage of vote: 2.54%

7. lifespan2.0 (9 votes [7.63%])

8. limitless life (9 votes [7.63%])

9. limitless living (8 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

10. live life with passion (4 votes [3.39%])

11. life perpetually (4 votes [3.39%])

12. live1000+ (7 votes [5.93%])

Percentage of vote: 5.93%

13. long life (8 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

14. long lifespans (6 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

15. longaevus (mouse class) (10 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

1. longevity (14 votes [15.73%])

Percentage of vote: 15.73%

2. loving life (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

3. macrolifespan (4 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

4. macrospan (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

5. mega life span (5 votes [5.62%])

6. methuselah (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

7. millennia life (4 votes [4.49%])

8. millennia lifespan (5 votes [5.62%])

9. moresta (4 votes [4.49%])

10. muridae (field mouse) (4 votes [4.49%])

11. my longer life (4 votes [4.49%])

12. myomorpha (a group of mice) (4 votes [4.49%])

13. myriad life (3 votes [3.37%])

Percentage of vote: 3.37%

14. never age (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

15. new ethics (8 votes [8.99%])

Percentage of vote: 8.99%

1. no aging (6 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

2. no-limit-life (9 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

3. one life (8 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. open future (10 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

5. overcoming aging (8 votes [7.14%])

6. perpetual (6 votes [5.36%])

7. perpetual youth (7 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

8. perpetual health (9 votes [8.04%])

9. perpetual life (9 votes [8.04%])

10. perpetual longevity (6 votes [5.36%])

11. perpetual peak (5 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

12. perpetuity (means perpetual) (5 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

13. physical immortality (8 votes [7.14%])

14. pro life (7 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

15. pro life foundation (9 votes [8.04%])

1. pro longevity (10 votes [8.13%])

Percentage of vote: 8.13%

2. radical life extension (10 votes [8.13%])

3. radical life extension promotion (4 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

4. rejuvination (6 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

5. reversing aging (8 votes [6.50%])

Percentage of vote: 6.50%

6. right to continually exist (8 votes [6.50%])

7. right to exist (8 votes [6.50%])

8. right to indefinently exist (7 votes [5.69%])

Percentage of vote: 5.69%

9. right to perpetually exist (7 votes [5.69%])

10. scientific conquest of aging (11 votes [8.94%])

Percentage of vote: 8.94%

11. scientific conquest of death (11 votes [8.94%])

12. stayin alive (10 votes [8.13%])

13. still alive (5 votes [4.07%])

Percentage of vote: 4.07%

14. super lifespans (11 votes [8.94%])

15. stopping aging (7 votes [5.69%])

Vote

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

Check off All the names that you would go for. You can vote multiple times. There are so many suggestions that this is one of 3 polls because each one can only hold 75 options.

These names dont include the second half like, Institute, Foundation, Society etc... They are included at the end of part 3 of this poll. They may not even require a second half.

Any names that people feel are good that arent in this initial list can be voted in or added in to another poll when this series becomes narrowed down.

#2 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

this should be in the members area (registered users are not decision makers in this process, and in the general area polls are easily and often manipulated), and is missing some of the seemingly popular names.

"Institute for unlimited lifespan(s)" for one

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

If you guys think it should be moved or removed then go ahead. This is what a poll like this looks like though.

It can be as official or unofficial as the board wants it to be. Having it in this section allows more outsider off the streets type input that people have been talking about wanting more of in these name change threads. New people coming in can post here then. Plus then we can send people links directly to these polls in say, myspace and facebook to get their input.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

Its fine for generating discussion and getting input, but it cannot be used to actually select names.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:30 AM

Hey Elrond, so what is going to be used to actually select names? ;o)

Just wondering as to the efficacy of my time spent perusing and contemplating the names on these lists up on the 3 polls by Brokenportal?

They are fun polls, thank you Brokenportal! :)

#6 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:13 AM

I'm liking the nice double bell curve that developed.

Posted Image

The only downside to these polls is you have to choose at least one option from every category. I ended up settling on "scientific conquest of death" in the category I really didn't have any favorites in.

#7 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

What about Vitae Initiative? VitaeOrg? Just laying some ideas.. making the proccess of name selection more complicated i guess.

Edited by sam988, 20 May 2008 - 07:06 AM.

#8 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

Hey Elrond, so what is going to be used to actually select names?

I was going to have an open call for members to bring forth the name each of them prefers themselves, not every conceivable name thats ever been mentioned or said in jest (if a single member isn't behind a proposed name there isn't a point in voting on it). And run that in polls by members. Members have the constitutional decision making power. And of course polls in the public access areas are often heavily manipulated by people registering lots of accounts just to get polls to say what they want. If registered users feel strongly that they want their voices to count in the name change process they should consider joining as members. I believe a few have for this reason already (perhaps in a straw breaking the camel's back kind of way).

We could, alternatively, run every conceivable name under the sun past members. It would not be ideal in my opinion as we don't want to bombard members with vote after vote such that many just ignore the process by the end, and the outcome would probably be the same anyway (we aren't going to be "the teenage mutant ninja humans", or "Bruce Kleins private army of life extensionists").

But before any of this I'm asking directors to see if getting an authoritative majority for a name change is even possible. If it isn't there is no point in pursuing the process further at all, and the energies that would be put into it should be directed elsewhere.

This is all of course just my own thoughts that I've put together since I'm taking some responsibility for moving this process forward as I was the one that brought forth the first referendum on the matter. Any input on how to make it a more optimal process is of course appreciated ;o)

And I don't mean to disparage the intent of this poll here at all. It may generate some good input (with comments especially) that members can use in their decision making process.

Edited by elrond, 20 May 2008 - 07:28 AM.

#9 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:10 AM

Personally, these 3 polls have just too many choices, including many that would never be chosen (regardless of the fact that people are voting for them in jest). Narrowing the choices down to a serious list would be more beneficial. Also, apparently we are forced to place at least one vote in each category even if we don't like any of the choices. In the end, the results are skewed by votes that are forced on the voter as well as all the joke votes.

#10 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

If you want to conduct focus group research (which this sort of looks like) maybe get advice from someone with marketing experience on brand development. Also, if you're looking for a palatable name in respect to a wider audience shouldn't the feedback come from non-members?

#11 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

Also, if you're looking for a palatable name in respect to a wider audience shouldn't the feedback come from non-members?

Decision making ability: No.

#12 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

The lists above make me cringe. I don't think there's anyone in ImmInst who has studied and written as much about product or brand names as I have, and based on everything I know, the above names are all terrible choices.

A few pointers on naming brands:

The best brand names are entirely unrelated to the category, which allows them to acquire what's called "secondary meaning." For example, what does the name Apple have to do with computers? Or Amazon with books? Or Monster with searching for jobs? Or Google with Internet searching? Or Ebay with auctions? Yet, these are among the strongest brand names in the world.

In short, the names I see being thrown around are all descriptive and generic in nature. If all of the companies I listed above where named by the people who tossed out the above suggestions, we'd have seen them all named like this: Computer Systems, Inc. (instead of Apple), OnlineBooks.com (Amazon), JobSearch.com (Monster). Search.com (Google). AuctionBay (Ebay).

So, bottom-line, I think all of the above suggestions suck really hard. They are amateurish selections by people who just do not understand marketing well. Nothing insulting is meant by this, it's just a fact.

A year or so ago I suggested the name Starlife Institute as a replacement name for this organization. (The domain is available.) Starlife is not generic, and has a cool factor. We all want to live as long as a star, right? That's more reasonable than being "immortal," which implies god-like. I like the idea of calling myself a Starlifer.

BTW, another rule for names is to *never* exceed three syllables. Anytime you do, people/customers naturally want to shorten the name. Immortaility is five syllables. Too long. Starlife is two syllables. Practically all names longer than three syllables are shortened, like Indiana Jones (Indy Jones--3 syllables), Federal Express (Fedex), Immortality Institute (Immisnt). Even Immortality on its own is too many syllables, plus it's rather generic. Again, Starlife is short and not generic, so people will never need to find a shortened, unique version of it -- it will stand the test of time.

There are other key factors to consider in a brand name, but I'm too short on time to cover them all. My guess is that we'll end up with another bland name that misfires in some key area, assuming the choices above are among the best we can come up with around here.

Edited by DukeNukem, 22 May 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#13 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

members see this thread

http://www.imminst.o...o...c=22143&hl=

#14 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

Starlife Institute

I like it duke. I may change one of my two choices too it if you are offering up your idea. Great suggestion. Your input is very appreciated.

Edited by elrond, 22 May 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#15 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

Starlife Institute

I like it duke. I may change one of my two choices too it if you are offering up your idea. Great suggestion. Your input is very appreciated.

Sure, feel free to use it.

#16 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

Well said Duke.

I've always thought band names to be good models. Here's a random name generator for them: http://www.bandnamem....com/generator/

Hmm, I put in "Life" and here's some examples. Some are pretty funny.

Life Lantern
Life Equinox
Life Fight And The Nibbled Plum
Life Vivid And The Psychadelic Angus
Life Of The Yummy Balcony
Life Of The Skimpy Biscuit
Life Galaxy And The Flushed Human
Grasping Life And The Snot
Life Edge
Blooming Life
Assembly Of The Life Balls

#17 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

Lifes Edge,
I like that, you can then say stuff like “I work with extending life spans in the organization “lifes edge”, we don’t live on the edge in the common term of it, we think that living on the edge is daring to stay alive and ride on into the future as the universe and reality continue to be pioneered.“

Emergence,
The reasoning sited by dukenukem lead me back to ‘Emergence’ again. I like how it lends an atmosphere of the word ‘emergency’. I think it sounds stronger and more assertive than the similar ‘imminence’ . About the amazon.com thing being better than “buybooksonline.com” or something like that I agreed but I just realized that I go to dictionary.com because of its name and its name only. I don’t think Ide be a regular at dictionary.com if it was called like, “forest.com” or something. And google was already a kind of an eccentric descriptive way of saying search wasnt it?

#18 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

>>> I just realized that I go to dictionary.com because of its name and its name only. I don’t think I'd be a regular at dictionary.com if it was called like, “forest.com” or something. And google was already a kind of an eccentric descriptive way of saying search wasnt it? <<<

In a case like this, it's a free service, and so a generic name is fine. But, generic names never catch on, and they have zero cool factor. Remember 8-9 years ago when a company bought business.com for $7 million, the highest price paid for a domain name at the time. The company thought they'd be able to turn that domain into the ultimate business portal, sort of a Yahoo for businesses, and all based on owning the ultimate generic name for their purpose. Look at it today. Total failure. Because generic names are horrible names as a brand. Google.com is cool. Search.com is generic. Amazon.com is cool. Books.com is generic.

Another of the many naming factors I've not mentioned here is that you want a name that can be used as a verb, so that it owns the category. For example, people often say, "Let's go rollerblading" instead of "Let's go inline skating." Xerox, Google and Tivo are also great examples of brand names used as verbs. What have you tivo'ed lately? Generic names are never used this way, because they already have "primary meaning" and therefore it's very difficult for them to take on "secondary meaning" (e.g. tivo = record, xerox = copy, google = search).

>>> And google was already a kind of an eccentric descriptive way of saying search wasnt it?

In what way???

Edited by DukeNukem, 22 May 2008 - 10:02 PM.

#19 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

Ok maybe google wasnt, and I have to re agree with you on the generic name thing. Probably wont catch on, Methusalah for example isnt generic and is already catching on for me. Same with H+ and the contraction imminst.

How though could we use a name for this place as a verb? Is there a way?

#20 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

sure "ourname"=to fight aging and death

in a sentence

"I spent the last summer "ournaming" in a lab in arizona"

reads "I spent the last summer fighting aging and death in a lab in arizona"

#21 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

in a sentence

The secondary meaning I think our name should have is "to live an indefinitely long, healthy life."

#22 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

in a sentence

The secondary meaning I think our name should have is "to live an indefinitely long, healthy life."

yah, you're probably right.

#23 Mewtwo

• 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:56 AM

How about Eximo Cras, or Cesso Mortis, or Nego Mortalitas?

I like Latin words... :D

#24 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:02 AM

So then it would be like, "God I really want to imminst, I hope this happens soon." "Man, our 'ournamehere' is exciting, I cant wait to see what philosophy brings by 5000."

Along those lines then Im liking Emergence. Like "So if you guys arent looking for Emergence in your lifes then I take it your christian or some sort of religion?"

Or maybe in a speech from a podium on a space station colony. "As you all know this great Emergence has allowed us all to be here on this historic day. It has unlocked many great doors for us, onward and upward!" or whatever.

Do names like this work with forms of it like emerge, and emergency? "We have made great strides and we continue to 'Emerge'!" or I guess its not a verb but like, "we have broken through to these politicians and made it to their political platforms around the world, they are bigging to realize that this 'Emergency' is valid." or something like that?

Edited by brokenportal, 23 May 2008 - 01:03 AM.

#25 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

I have to agree with DukeNukem here (and that's not just because I spent years blowing up my friends with a rocket launcher). :p

If you take a look at these three polls, you'll see that the list hasn't been narrowed one bit. Votes are all over the board and in some cases, joke names have beaten out serious ones. This vote has proved there's a consensus for change but still no idea what exactly that change should be (hmm, kinda reminds me of the presidential election).

Starlife is cool. But I'd like to hear more names like this and maybe one of them will catch on. Unless we see a particular name shine above the rest, any resolution to change the name will fail.

Edited by JMorgan, 23 May 2008 - 01:22 AM.

#26 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

Starlife is cool. But I'd like to hear more names like this and maybe one of them will catch on. Unless we see a particular name shine above the rest, any resolution to change the name will fail.

Indeed. I think we should take a few more days to come up with names while considering Duke's insightful perspective. Can anyone think of a way to perturb "eonic" to render it more euphonic?

Obviously space-based names are quite popular. Alcor, Saturn, Mercury, Sirius, and Polaris are all brand names. Here's a list of the better sounding star names I was using for a similar brainstorming project.

ara
arcturus
acrux
canopus
rigil kentaurus
rigel
procyon
spica
pollux
regulus
adhara
castor
bellatrix
(mia)placidus
alnilam
alnitak
al nair
alioth
wezen
atria
alhena
delta vel
mirzam
polaris
nunki
(deneb) kaitos
saiph
mizar
algol
beta gru
mintaka
naos
ankaa
alderamin
aludra
zosma
izar
kraz
tarazed
cebalrai
cursa
teiat

For our purposes I like Arcturus and Canopus the best. However Canopus was the name of a French nuclear test in the 1970s. Also with Alcor already using a star name I'm not sure ImmInst should follow suit.

#27 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:30 AM

In short, the names I see being thrown around are all descriptive and generic in nature. If all of the companies I listed above where named by the people who tossed out the above suggestions, we'd have seen them all named like this: Computer Systems, Inc. (instead of Apple), OnlineBooks.com (Amazon), JobSearch.com (Monster). Search.com (Google). AuctionBay (Ebay).

Unfortunately, all of the examples you cited are commercial enterprises so they may not be directly applicable for a non-profit such as ImmInst.

It's often the case that grassroots organizations forgo the razzledazzle in return for an image with enhanced respectability.

Off the top of my head here's a small list of examples that get my point across.

ACLU
NAACP
DARPA
NASA
YMCA

I must say, I think coming off as gimmicky, or commerically oriented would be a big mistake. We don't need a flashy name, just one which infers that we're a respetable organization.

Edited by Technosophy, 23 May 2008 - 06:31 AM.

#28 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:36 AM

How about Eximo Cras, or Cesso Mortis, or Nego Mortalitas?

I like Latin words... :D

Here are some definitions for those without the luxury of a Latin dictionary.

Eximo - 1. To take out, take away, remove 2. To free, release, deliver from any thing
Cras - 1. Tomorrow 2. For the morrow 3. For the future
Cesso - To delay, loiter; to cease, stop, give over, leave off, etc.
Mortis - Isn't in my dictionary but I'm guessing "death"
Nego - 1. To say "no 2. To deny, to give or make a denial
Mortalitas - Subjection or liability to death, mortality

There are some cool words in the Imm section but of course they don't have the effect we're after in this instance.

immortalis - undying, immortal
immortales - The immortals
immortalitas - Exemption from death, immortality
immortaliter - Unceasingly, infinitely
immotus - Unmoved, immoveable, motionless
immutabilis - Unchangable, unalterable, immutable

and of course one kind of like the process we're undergoing right now...

immuto - To change, to alter; to put one word for another.

Thanks Mewtwo. I hadn't had a good read out of a dictionary in close to two decades I'd wager. I wish Babelfish would add Latin to its abilities. My dictionary only works if you already know the Latin word you're looking for, not the reverse.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 23 May 2008 - 09:37 AM.

#29 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

We don't need a flashy name, just one which infers that we're a respetable organization.

Implying that the present name infers a 'disrespectable' organization?
Im only a newcomer but upon discovering this place I was very impressed by all the activities that go on here and I thought the name was dramatic but fitting. I dont think I would be exaggerating if i were to say that this site is the pre-eminent place for all things to do with lifespan extension. Theres no place like it online and those that run it should be congratulated. Its probably been covered elsewhere but I dont see what the benefit is in changing such a cool name.

#30 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

It's often the case that grassroots organizations forgo the razzledazzle in return for an image with enhanced respectability.

I was curious when those names were chosen so I looked them up.

ACLU - 1920
NAACP - 1909
DARPA - 1972 then changed to ARPA in 1993, and back to DARPA in 1996
NASA - 1958
YMCA - 1844

Other than NASA and DARPA which are government entities the others are fairly antiquated. There's no way NAACP would use that name if it was founded now. More recent names include:

Médecins Sans Frontières - 1971
Oxford Committee for Famine Relief --> Oxfam in 1965 (This is a direct example of what Duke said. More than three syllables goes right out the window)
American Society for the Control of Cancer --> American Cancer Society - 1945
National Association for the Study and Prevention of Tuberculosis (1904) --> National Tuberculosis Association (1918) --> National Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease Association (1968) --> American Lung Association (1973)

Many of these organizations have tremendous brand recognition that has built up over the years yet they are still willing to take the necessary steps to adopt a shorter and more memorable name. I don't think the naming process should be taken lightly or rushed. If we make a change we'll have to live with it (or go through this again I suppose).

On our forums I don't really see much changing since nearly everyone agrees ImmInst is here to stay. However the new initiatives that can sprout from having a strong pragmatic name for the parent entity ought to be considered as we look at our options.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 23 May 2008 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users