• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Nicotine completely eliminates my social anxiety....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matix7

• 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

How is that for NOT a good thing? I RARELY use tobacco products, but every now and then if im feeling anxious before a social situation Ive been known to throw in a little lip full of chewing tobacco.. and every time I do those feelings of anxiousness are all but gone.

I'm assuming its an acetylcholine related issue? Because of this I bought some Alpha-GPC for its supposed acetylcholine enhancing properties, and it helps, but not as much as good old horrible for you addicting nicotine.

Any thoughts?

#2 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

I'm trying to learn more about how neurotransmitters work. I see that nicotine (from wikipedia):

acts on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, specifically the ganglion type nicotinic receptor and one CNS type nicotinic receptor. ... By binding to ganglion type nicotinic receptors the adrenal medulla nicotine increases flow of adrenaline (epinephrine), a stimulating hormone. ... The release of adrenaline causes an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and respiration, as well as higher blood glucose levels. ... In high doses, nicotine will cause a blocking of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which is the reason for its toxicity and its effectiveness as an insecticide.
By binding to CNS type nicotinic receptors, nicotine increases dopamine levels in the reward circuits of the brain. In this way, it activates the reward system and generates feelings of pleasure.

From the article on choline,

Choline supplements are often taken as a form of 'smart drug' or nootropic, due to the role that the neurotransmitter acetylcholine plays in various cognition systems within the brain. Choline is a chemical precursor or "building block" needed to produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and research suggests that memory, intelligence and mood are mediated at least in part by acetylcholine metabolism in the brain.

So, if I understand correctly, choline is used to build acetylcholine which binds to the same acetylcholine receptors as nicotine. Does increased acetylcholine also result in epinephrine and dopamine increase? It doesn't seem to have the same stimulation of pleasure that nicotine is reported as having.

Stephen

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

How is that for NOT a good thing? I RARELY use tobacco products, but every now and then if im feeling anxious before a social situation Ive been known to throw in a little lip full of chewing tobacco.. and every time I do those feelings of anxiousness are all but gone.

I'm assuming its an acetylcholine related issue? Because of this I bought some Alpha-GPC for its supposed acetylcholine enhancing properties, and it helps, but not as much as good old horrible for you addicting nicotine.

Any thoughts?

I don't know how familiar you are with supplements but there are plenty of things you could try for social anxiety that are safer than nicotine. Phenibut is pretty powerful and is safe to use infrequently. Picamillon is also supposed to help anxiety. Then there's all of the adaptogens like Rhodiola and ashwagandha. L-Theanine also helps a lot of people.

I'd research those and then give some of them a try.

#4 matix7

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

Any thoughts?

I don't know how familiar you are with supplements but there are plenty of things you could try for social anxiety that are safer than nicotine. Phenibut is pretty powerful and is safe to use infrequently. Picamillon is also supposed to help anxiety. Then there's all of the adaptogens like Rhodiola and ashwagandha. L-Theanine also helps a lot of people.

I'd research those and then give some of them a try.

Ive tried phenibut, picamilon, rhodiola and theanine. Phenibut is OK, it makes me too spacey for my taste though. Picamilon actually makes me more anxious. Rhodiola is hard to say because you need to build it up but it may have helped.. theanine definitely is helpful if taken in large doses. very calming..

The nicotine just acts differently. I can actually feel it working.. and yeah I know, of course it does. thats why its so addictive, powerful and therefore, scary!

#5 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:51 AM

It is probably the dopamine; nicotinic angonists release DA... If your social anxiety is caused by underlying ADHD, it could help. Have you tried deprynil?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 insanet

• 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:07 AM

nicotine reduces maoi count i think so that would increase serotonin and dopamine which means it could affect both add and anxiety or depression but it isnt a very good method of treating add its ecuivalent to taking a small dose of a stimulant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users