- - - - -

Help please - mild hyperpigmentation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wowo.qingqing

• 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

Guys,

I came across this website when I was doing my sunscreen research. I was very impressed with the information shared and discussed here. I wonder whether anyone has had any experience in dealing with hyperpigmentation.

I have the typical Asian skin – sensitive to sun and hash chemical peels. I have developed a mild hyperpigmentation on my cheeks (butterfly-shaped) over the past 2 years. I tried glycolic acid peel but it simple made my skin irritated and red. Does any one have any good suggestions?

#2 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

Visit a Dermatologist.

Try to find out the reason that might cause it.
Like birthcontrol pills, medication. You should stop using them. Avoid sunexposure. Wear a broad-rimmed hat, sunglasses and apply sunscreen.
VitaminC and Tretinoin (Glycolic acid 12% conc. applyed beforehand) might help over time. If not you might want to try azaleic acid+kojic acid but I would try the first sollution at least for 6 months before doing something more drastic.

Guys,

I came across this website when I was doing my sunscreen research. I was very impressed with the information shared and discussed here. I wonder whether anyone has had any experience in dealing with hyperpigmentation.

I have the typical Asian skin – sensitive to sun and hash chemical peels. I have developed a mild hyperpigmentation on my cheeks (butterfly-shaped) over the past 2 years. I tried glycolic acid peel but it simple made my skin irritated and red. Does any one have any good suggestions?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

Why not check DHEA levels and do an ACTH test, too.

Strong hyperpigmentation may sometimes be caused by low-DHEA/low-cortisol
states (so called pre-addisonian). It's unlikely, but still nice to check it. Even if
something like DHEA comes up as normal-low it may be useful supplement some.

#4 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:55 AM

http://content.nejm..../328/20/1438/F2

Pretty astonishing results. Incredible to think that a life changing event, that the remedying of this hyperpigmentation must've achieved, can be had from just one cream.

The woman in that link isn't Asian but she isn't Caucasian.

Edit: The cream is Retin-A by the way.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 31 May 2008 - 02:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users