Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

23andMe

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Now that we're perfectly safe from discrimination, *cough*, I went ahead and signed up to have my genome screened by 23andMe. I was looking at Navgenics' Health Compass but it's $2500 and $250/year for continuous service and considering the cost of these services will be $200 in a couple years, an $800 early adopter's fee seemed plenty.

Promethease looks like a good tool to toy around with the data according to this blog.

Here's the email I got. Turnaround time is 2-4 weeks.

> Dear James,
>
> Thank you for your order! Soon you will be one of the first people in
> the world to have access to your genetic information. 23andMe enables
> you to explore over 500,000 data points throughout your entire genome.
> You will be able to learn about your own DNA and compare yourself
> genetically to family and friends in the 23andMe database.
>
> We will ship your kit(s) as soon as your payment is approved.
> Depending on which shipping option you chose, you should receive yours
> within a few days.
> Please collect and ship your sample(s) to the laboratory as soon as
> you receive your kit(s).
>
> Order ID: xxx-xxx-xxxxx-xxx
> Number of people to be genotyped in your order: 1 Order Subtotal:
> $999.00 Shipping & Handling: $14.95 Order Total: $1013.95
>
> Each kit will include detailed instructions, but please note:
>
> - Each kit is labeled with the name of the person for whom it was
> ordered.
> It is important that each person use the kit specifically
> designated for him/her.
>
> - You must log onto https://www.23andme.com/, enter the claim code
> listed
> on your kit and follow the instructions to set up an account.
> We recommend you do this before or immediately after you spit.
>
> - Please remember NOT to include any identifying information (i.e.
> name, address)
> when you send your sample(s) back to our laboratory.
>
> Your genetic profile will be ready approximately 2-4 weeks after our
> laboratory receives your samples.
> You will receive an email notification from us at that time. If you
> have questions or need assistance, please email us at
> help@23andme.com.
>
> ===============================================
>
> --
> Item: 23andMe Personal Genome Service
> Quantity: 1
> Unit Price: $999.00
> Total Price: $999.00
> --
> Subtotal: $999.00
> Shipping & Handling: $14.95
> Order Total: $1013.95
> --
>
> ===============================================
>
> Sincerely,
> The 23andMe Team

Edited by maestro949, 21 June 2008 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

I'm thinking of doing this also. I'd like to know what your experiences are. Cheers!

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:56 PM

I have a friend with a gene analyiser. I was thinking about getting it done and then cross checking a handful of genes with my friends SNP chip. I'll need to discuss this with them first

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

Jim I trust you as a (very) reliable source of information. You an intelligent person with a good grip of science hence, I'm relying on you to report back with your experiance.

A question if I may Jim. What are you thoughts about genetic analysis just being a snapshot of your genes that are continually changing with diet and lifestyle?? Is a snapshot a reliable measure of the 'you' behind the genes?

Edited by zoolander, 03 June 2008 - 03:00 AM.

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

Jim, can you please take photos to document the process i.e photos of the saliva sample kit and so on

#6 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:32 AM

your genes that are continually changing with diet and lifestyle??

genes continually changing? what?

#7 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:52 AM

My mistake elrond. I'm referring to the activity of each of the genes changing. So in hindsight I'll retract that question. The test, I gather, is measuring the genetic code and not the state of the gene. The subject uses this information to optimize their health outcome

Edited by zoolander, 03 June 2008 - 02:59 AM.

#8 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:16 AM

yes I thought you must mean something about gene expression.

#9 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

Someone with a hobby of collecting glowing rocks might experience a DNA change ;) but yeah, lifestyle, diet, etc are changes to the epigenome which, IMO, would be a much better data set to having for understanding and developing therapies for aging. I'd say that this is a decade off before we are doing this at the individual level, give or take...8 years.

In the meantime however a simple DNA screen does provide a good snapshot of what you have to work with regarding mutations you are born with (or those that have muted since!). Just about every disease caused by a single mutation has been identified so having an idea of what you're predisposed to has value for altering lifestyle or for monitoring if anything scores high. We are still learning quite a bit about what combinatorial mutations lead to and even analyzing SNP statistics so I suspect a lot of value is yet to emerge.

I'm relying on you to report back with your experience.

Indeed. I'm learning several informatics tools in school so I hope to run them through whatever I can find.

Edited by maestro949, 03 June 2008 - 06:14 AM.

#10 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

your genes that are continually changing with diet and lifestyle??

genes continually changing? what?

Technically he is correct. The methylation status of discrete DNA regions do change (as maestro949 pointed out in the previous post) and this is largely the basis for cellular differentiation, cancer and aging. And, environmental conditions do alter DNA methylation patterns. However, the DNA sequence itself is not prone to change with the exception of gene recombination related to antibody diversity.

Grats on the pioneering spirit BTW.

#11 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

The test, I gather, is measuring the genetic code and not the state of the gene.

The test looks at single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) which are single base pair changes in the DNA sequence. Because some SNPs alter gene expression and/or regulation there are possible physiological consequences. For example, one SNP in the ACTN3 gene determines whether a person is better at sprinting/power versus endurance sports and whether they can pack on muscle through resistance training. Another SNP in the CCR5 gene determines if a person has resistance to HIV. The list is extensive and growing.

#12 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

The list is extensive and growing.

The growing aspect is important to keep in mind. As more people sign up and share their profiles, the database becomes a research tool in itself. Also, most of the genetic progress we've made has been in the past few years. The value and investment in having your DNA profiled should grow along with the genomic knowledge.

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

Also, most of the genetic progress we've made has been in the past few years.

Agreed. Have a look at the list being compiled by the University of Washington

Gene database

and the following paper utilised a large Farmingham Heart Study

Genetic correlates of longevity and selected age-related phenotypes: a genome-wide association study in the Framingham Study

Edited by zoolander, 03 June 2008 - 12:38 PM.

#14 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

The test proposed by 23andMe is certainly very interesting and reasonably cheap, especially considering that the price tag of genetic analysis has dramatically decreased in the recent years.

I looked at the list of things tested by 23andMe and I am a bit puzzled by the current interest of most of the items, except for the curious mind, from a health perspective for an adult.

There are things :
- of poor significance : earwax type :p , eye color (use a mirror), bitter test perception, heroin addiction, ...
- you do not need this test to know : alcohol flush reaction, obesity, baldness, type I diabete, things that a blood analysis will tell, ...
- common things : type II diabete, heart attack, ... but guys here should already take reasonable care of these (diet, exercise, supplementation)
- HIV/AIDS or malaria resistance : anyway would you take the risk of unsafe sex or not protecting yourself if you go to a malaria area ?
Left are some usefull things like specific cancers (prostate, breast, colon) or macular degeneration where you can adjust your intervention : more screenings (PSA, colonoscopy, ...) more frequently and specific supplements.
Also some things that I do not think there is much to do except worrying : ALS, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, ...

I am curious of your results if you choose to share them.

#15 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

I am a bit puzzled by the current interest of most of the items, except for the curious mind, from a health perspective for an adult.

Agreed but I tend t think that much of the value is yet to emerge. This is just the tip of the iceberg as more specific genetic details will surface once better mathematical analysis against multiple genes can be done. Large sample sizes are needed for this work which is why simply having your DNA screened is a means to an end for accelerating the biological revolution to a point where gene therapy interventions can become a reality.

Update: The "spit" kit showed up in a sizable Fedex package on Wednesday (pretty quick turnaround). It contained the kit, return Fedex package and lots of scary documentation, which, despite the serious nature, I couldn't help but find amusing in it's warnings about life altering revelations that you may not be prepared for. I took a few pictures. Sorry about the lighting...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The documentation stated that the turnaround time is 4-6 weeks whereas the email above stated 2-4 weeks. We'll see as I'll be sending in my saliva Monday morning.

Graeme, nice link to the list of aging genes - Thanks. João Pedro de Magalhães has a comprehensive database of aging genes called GenAge. I haven't compared the two but I suspect there would be quite a bit of overlap.

#16 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

I've been looking at the DEMO on the site and found that the format they provide is really good. I think eventually I will also do this test. I'm surprised not many here have gone for this by now.

Edited by Matt, 16 June 2008 - 12:46 PM.

#17 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

I've been looking at the DEMO on the site and found that the format they provide is really good. I think eventually I will also do this test. I'm surprised not many here have gone for this by now.

I would if they accepted Australian customers :'(

#18 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

Are Craig Venter and James Watson still the only people whose genomes are completely identified?

#19 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

Are Craig Venter and James Watson still the only people whose genomes are completely identified?

They are the only ones named. A 3rd anonymous Chinese scientist and 4th Chinese volunteer had his genome screened by the Bejing Genomics Institute. There are hundreds if not thousands of whole-genome tests scheduled for 2008 so far.

California just sent cease-and-desist letters to 13 companies that sell genetic screens. This could affect my order.

#20 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

Thank you for putting the pictures up, I too am waiting to see of what value you find your results to be :) I've looked at the various companies before, and have wanted to do this for my children for various reasons.

#21 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Thank you for putting the pictures up, I too am waiting to see of what value you find your results to be :)

Based on looking over other peoples' results, my expectations aren't all that high at this point. I think much of benefits lie in the longer-term potential. I am also hoping that having my own DNA sequence will provide some more inspiration to continue learning genomics, informatics, etc. i.e. leveraging those selfish genes so to speak :)

I've looked at the various companies before, and have wanted to do this for my children for various reasons.

...which raises a good point. If your parents and grandparents are still alive, getting their genomes sequenced would likely be quite valuable. I'm going to see if I can get my parents sequenced soon as the ravages of aging are upon them.

#22 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

My results came in so the turnaround time was < 2 weeks. I downloaded the raw data and just started looking into the results. The download file looks like :

# This data file generated by 23andMe at: Sat Jun 21 09:51:27 2008## Below is a text version of your data. Fields are TAB-separated# Each line corresponds to a single SNP.  For each SNP, we provide its identifier # (an rsid or an internal id), its location on the reference human genome, and the # genotype call oriented with respect to the plus strand on the human reference # sequence.  We are using reference human assembly build 36.  Note that it is possible # that data downloaded at different times may be different due to ongoing improvements # in our ability to call genotypes.# # More information on reference human assembly build 36:# [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/mapview/map_search.cgi?taxid=9606&build=36"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/mapvi...06&build=36[/url]## rsid	chromosome	position	genotypers3094315	1	742429	AGrs12562034	1	758311	GGrs3934834	1	995669	CCrs9442372	1	1008567	GGrs3737728	1	1011278	GG...

I clicked through all of the major diseases and show no elevated risks for anything other than type II diabetes which is mostly attributed to environmental factors. I'll upload some screenshots when I get a chance but I bet you could find a bunch by googleing.

The haplogroup data is quite cool if you're interested in genealogy or just in seeing where your ancestral roots originate.

#23 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

The gene journal of the 23andMe website is where you can find your "analysis" by research topic.

Posted Image

The stars indicate confidence in the research topic.

Posted Image

If you click on the topic you'll see analysis for your genes related to the research topic. For example, here's my blood glucose gene for a research topic marked as preliminary.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

Good god it's already down to 399$ at 23andMe, that's incredible.
How long until full genome sequencing is affordable? Predictions?
Should I do both, SNP genotyping first and later on full genome? Then compare? I don't know if simple SNP genotyping and prediction of old-age disease makes any sense for someone <20yo. Well maybe to satisfy the curiosity until mid or late 201x, when full genome sequencing will be affordable...

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23andMe
Wow, the governmental involvement has been really ugly. Or are they only trying to protect us, huh?!

Edited by kismet, 08 December 2008 - 12:40 AM.

#25 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

Can anyone report back how information security is implemented on their site?

What is your feeling about the provided security?

#26 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

If i understand well, we could do that sistematicaly at the birth to prevent any desease once it will be cheaper.

#27 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Maybe we can arrange an IMMINST discount :) I'm seriously interested in their services if they provide a service in which they link new information from future studies to the genome data.

#28 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

Maybe we can arrange an IMMINST discount :) I'm seriously interested in their services if they provide a service in which they link new information from future studies to the genome data.

I would love to get a discount for Imminst members. It would be a great member benefit. I tried to contact them a couple months ago but got no response. I should probably make another run at them.

#29 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

it's currently sitting at $329 for those who purchase 3 or more kits

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

it's currently sitting at $329 for those who purchase 3 or more kits

Maybe we can arrange an IMMINST discount smile.gif I'm seriously interested in their services if they provide a service in which they link new information from future studies to the genome data.

Well, after some consideration I decided to sign-up. 400$, including shipping, which is about 300 euro's or maybe even less now. They do add new research findings, but the DNA profiling is incomplete, so if knowledge develops outside the scope of the results, it's useless for you. But maybe an extensional test will be offered by then. With discount. :)
At least it's possible to download the raw data, so I guess it's possible to do you own matching.

Edited by Brainbox, 23 December 2008 - 10:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users