* * * * * 1 votes

Things we can do to promote the UCLA aging conference

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:37 AM

How are you promoting the aging conference at ucla?

Can anybody give a run down on how it is generally promoted? I have no idea really. Newletters from the orgs, Im sure the people working with it have extensive contact lists in the bio engineering and science community, um, Im not sure what else.

Im browsing people in the ucla area by zip code in myspace and telling them about it. I might be contacting 1000 pro aging trance people who don’t care but well, Im trying it. The zip code is 90024 if that’s useful to anybody.

Im also going to be looking up the emails of professors and stuff in the science departments there and emailing them. I mean, Im sure their department heads will be putting out their own news letters about it and giving their colleagues heads up about it or whatever but they wont get through to all of them right?

Im sure its all networked with media outlets for it and stuff but Im going to compile a list of emails for local news outlets, magazines and whatever else in that area and write them too. If I could interest even 5 people out of 5000 contacts I would consider it a success.

Am I naïve for doing this? Please add suggestions on things we can do to promote it.

Here’s the link to Methuselah’s banner coding again.

http://methuselahfoundation. com/Aging2008/promote/

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

We could put up a (edit: bigger...) banner on the front page or in the forums somewhere. It's a great conference. Y'all could chip in and send me there! I'd promise to write it up. I'm not sure that spamming deathists would be a big win. It would help if they had expressed some sort of interest in longevity, but you might catch a few at any rate. Supplement companies such as some of our sponsors could advertise from their websites. I definitely think that it's within our mission to promote the meeting.

Edited by niner, 08 June 2008 - 05:42 AM.

#3 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

How are you promoting the aging conference at ucla?

I've invited a couple people to go with me.

#4 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

For those of us that can't make it will there be video or audio of talks available after the conference?

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

What is the media situation? Are they coming? Did somebody invite them? Is this a high enough profile event that they invite themselves?

#6 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, perhaps the best way to increase the audience would be to have the conference broadcast globally via major television networks.

Edited by caston, 08 June 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#7 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Y'all could chip in and send me there!

You could pull a Forest Gump and run there or perhaps ImmInst could match funds raised to get you there. If you have the time in your schedule to attend and funds are simply the issue I'm sure we could find a way to get you there.

#8 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Im going to try to dig up a copy of a ton of media email contacts I had from before. Does anybody want a copy? I also have copy of a Methuselah Foundation trifold if anybody wants to print those out. They put a plug for the ucla conference on the front. There are flyers too but I like the trifolds a lot better. If you do then send me your email address.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

I suppose it would help to put the conference in the feature article rotation. That way it will be front and center on the homepage. Right now it is in the announcements section. We could contact other 'friendly' sites and suggest putting it on the front page as well. I looked around and Imminst seems to be the only site with the conference on the front page.

Mass email (slapping myself). I should definitely send out a mass email to all Imminst members.

I want to broadcast the conference over the Ustream channel, but first I need to talk it over with the conference organizers and speakers. There might be some restrictions.

#10 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

i'll be there, along with other MF people here.

#11 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

Mind: What's the Ustream channel?

#12 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:00 AM

You havent been there? Mind does an interview with somebody in the life extension or transhumanism field every sunday at 5 pm cst time at this link:

You can find the updates in the "immortality institute" forums sub form "immortality update".

Edited by brokenportal, 09 June 2008 - 03:01 AM.

#13 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

i had gotten an invite awhile ago, I'd love going to this event, but work calls. What are some of the areas that will be discussed?

#14 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:44 PM

You havent been there? Mind does an interview with somebody in the life extension or transhumanism field every sunday at 5 pm cst time at this link:

You can find the updates in the "immortality institute" forums sub form "immortality update".

i just discovered this today... i wish i had known... i'd love to hear what's going on in these fields lol

#15 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

Im having a hard time contacting the 5000 or so people I aimed for right now because my main computers fan died and wont stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Is anybody else here going to be emailing a ton of people? The ucla zip code again is 90024. So search for it and email people. Even if they dont go they will be inoculated toward it. The more people you talk to, even if they dismiss you, will increase the odds of people picking up on the life extension idea as the see it through other venues, like conferences, tv shows, news letters, magazines, web sites etc.... Keep putting it to them even if you think they arent listening, because they are.

A person, I hear, through marketing type channels, needs to hear about an idea through an average of about 3 different credible sources before they begin to beleive it. So keep speaking, do, not, give up, please, for the love of life.

#16 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:34 PM

Im having a hard time contacting the 5000 or so people I aimed for right now because my main computers fan died and wont stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Is anybody else here going to be emailing a ton of people? The ucla zip code again is 90024. So search for it and email people. Even if they dont go they will be inoculated toward it. The more people you talk to, even if they dismiss you, will increase the odds of people picking up on the life extension idea as the see it through other venues, like conferences, tv shows, news letters, magazines, web sites etc.... Keep putting it to them even if you think they arent listening, because they are.

A person, I hear, through marketing type channels, needs to hear about an idea through an average of about 3 different credible sources before they begin to beleive it. So keep speaking, do, not, give up, please, for the love of life.

Broken Portal.. We really do appreciate the effort to get the message out but we absolutely must NOT be seen as spammers. Please don't conduct the mail out you are referring to. There are many other ways which will raise the profile of the movement without resorting to these not very effective tactics that could actually have the opposite effect on the people we need the most.

KP

#17 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:45 PM

Enthusiasm is great. But mass emailing random people probably isn't the best approach. I agree with Kevin.

cheers

#18 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:06 AM

Here's a suggestion: write a blog post on the topic that eloquently explains why everyone should go, then submit it to Digg and Reddit.

#19 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

I have yet to look into that digg idea but it sounds in theory like a great idea. Mind also told me about it a while ago. If it IS all that, then maybe we should get an initiative going towards it.

In any case, great idea, and what else can we do to promote this conference. If you come here then you want life extension. If you dont promote this conference in some way then your wasting your time here. Its like going to a free buffet and not eating.

I know you guys are doing tons of stuff to promote this conference. What is it that you are doing? Meager or big, it doesnt matter as long as you are doing something.

Me personally, Im befriending people in myspace in the ucla zip code area and chatting with them about it. Im at about 1000 now and Im aiming for 5000. Not much time left so I probably wont make that mark but Ill try. Promote! promote! promote! promote! Your life depends on it.

#20 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

Also, let me get something straight here, indefinte life extension promotion is not and will not ever be spam. I know what you guys are talking about, and I can feel what your saying, but your over all sentiment is wrong.

Not to mention, if you email somebody in say, myspace or facebook, you can go to science groups and say semi un spammy stuff like, "I see your into biomedical engineering, are you into life extesnion at all?" and then if they write you back then talk about the conference. Especially talk to people in the ucla zip code area, 90024

#21 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

Dont shy away from this just because its upon us. Email people in the UCLA area, dont be a spam bot, but talk to them. If you can get 1 biology student that would have otherwise not gone to it, go to it, thats sucess to the max. Keep pushing, this is our lives. This is your life. I dont want to see your chapter slam shut. Do you?

Edited by brokenportal, 27 June 2008 - 04:36 AM.

#22 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:57 AM

Looks like it's just been posted on /.

http://science.slash...7/0313211.shtml

Edited by caston, 27 June 2008 - 04:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users