* * * * - 2 votes

Resveratrol successfully fights cancer in two dogs

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Thank you for your posts and prayers for Clair. Altho' I continued with the resveratrol, her deterioration in behavior and liver bloodwork were dramatic. I managed to find an experimental drug and make the needed arrangements for it to be tried with her. I was able to locate a very progressive veterinary oncologist at a Missouri university who agreed to try this having the necessary willingness, skill and equipment. The chemical intermediates were mixed by the reseacher and FedExed to the hospital in Missouri where they were combined (to satisfy FDA regulations), while Clair and I drove to MO. It was infused intraarterially directly to the liver. Clair came thru' the procedure very well on Monday. This promising drug, in the laboratory, has actually eradicated, not simply reduced, liver cancer in 100% of a group of laboratory animals. Unfortunately, by the time she was treated, the hemangiosarcoma had consumed so much of her liver that it was no longer able to support her body's needs. Still, we tried...with hope of a miracle. Sadly, this swift and vicious cancer had its way, and she went to the Rainbow Bridge at 4:30 Wednesday morning, June 24th. The developers had never tried the new drug on a canine, so both the reseacher and Oncology Foundation have praised Clair for having made a meaningful contribution to the future of cancer treatment. Post mortem showed additional masses in the kidney and one in the pancreas. More will be known in a few weeks when the histopath on her treatment comes back. Clair was a trooper until the very end, but obviously depressed and tired of fighting. She is dearly missed, and will be remembered always.

I am so sorry about Clair. What a valiant effort you both made.

I think, (just a guess) from personal experience, resveratrol is most effective with hormonal cancers...or cancers that might be due to excessive estrogen. Minni's cancer was in her mammary glands. Dolly's cancer was a tumor in the groin area. I also think it has to be used very early in the disease.

Much sympathy to you. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved pet. It's like losing a child.

#62 itrekalot

• 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

I am so sorry about Clair. What a valiant effort you both made.

I think, (just a guess) from personal experience, resveratrol is most effective with hormonal cancers...or cancers that might be due to excessive estrogen. Minni's cancer was in her mammary glands. Dolly's cancer was a tumor in the groin area. I also think it has to be used very early in the disease.

Much sympathy to you. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved pet. It's like losing a child.

MISSMINNI et al: You have been a great support for both Clair and me through our recent sad earthly trials. Clair now rests next to my Murphie, an irish setter, in a special place in my home. As silly as it may be to some, I take comfort in having my precious babies with me still. They were such wonderful, loving beings, as are all god's furry quadrapeds. When I allow myself to come to that magnificent space in which I realize this plane of existance is but an elaborate illusion, I feel at one with their everlasting spirits and Eternal Reality. Then, my human ego yanks me back to this pityable plane, and I miss dearly their physical forms. And, life goes on.

Missminni: Thank you for all your kind and helpful words. I wish I had found resveratrol much sooner. Your experience with it has been a true blessing. May on-going prophylactic doses for your babies pay off in many more years of good health and enjoyment of their dear presence in your life. I take resveratrol now, and it will be a routine supplement for my future canine luvbugs.

Edited by itrekalot, 05 July 2009 - 08:46 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

An acquaintance's 14 pound dog has lymphatic cancer, and she'd like to try resveratrol. Any thoughts on dosage?

Perhaps a gram a day to start off with, tapering to a half gram if a response is seen?

StephenB

Edited by stephen_b, 08 August 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#64 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

An acquaintance's 14 pound dog has lymphatic cancer, and she'd like to try resveratrol. Any thoughts on dosage?

Perhaps a gram a day to start off with, tapering to a half gram if a response is seen?

StephenB

If you use the formula I used for Minni
start with a gram and half a day and keep it there for at least 6 months before tapering off
You might also do that twice a day for the first month. I defintely gave Minni as much as I could get down her in the first month. It can't hurt. It worked for Minni...she's better than ever.

Edited by missminni, 08 August 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#65 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

Thanks. Apparently this dog's tumors are in the lymph nodes and are very big under its neck -- as in about as big as the head. Ouch. The owner wants to try mixing resveratrol with olive oil and canned salmon.

#66 missminni

• Topic Starter
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

Thanks. Apparently this dog's tumors are in the lymph nodes and are very big under its neck -- as in about as big as the head. Ouch. The owner wants to try mixing resveratrol with olive oil and canned salmon.

That sounds like a good plan....I would double up on the resveratrol considering the size of the tumor.

#67 Cassandra Coleman

• 43 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I know this is an old thread. Any experience with Res & Mast Cell Tumors?

Thank you in advance.

#68 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Not to my knowledge. A look at pubmed shows some in vitro studies indicatiing positive effects, it might be worth trying. But remember that Missminnie used as much as 6 grams daily for her 100+ pound dogs. It did seem to cure advanced mammary cancer that had metastasized in one, and testicular cancer in another. The dogs eventually developed arthritic problems, became unable to walk and were put down at about 13, which is advanced old age in American Bulldogs.

Resveratrol has been found ineffective in lung cancer, I am told, but what kind of lung cancer or how thoroughly tested i do not know.

I doubt resveratrol would do any harm, though very large doses can cause diarrhea.

#69 aim1

• 102 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

This has nothing to do with resveratrol, but take a look at piperlongumine.

#70 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

piperlongumine is a potentially exciting anti-cancer substance. More studies needed.

#71 Cassandra Coleman

• 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I am going to look into that. Misha was just diagnosed with another Mast Cell tumor and this one is in a far mor difficult location to remove with clean margins, on top of being diabetis and as of yester day only 5lbs she is going to need her 2nd surgery in 90 days for Mast Cell Tumor removal. I am open to anything that will not kill her or decrease her quality of life. I have attached a pdf of the current suppliments she is on. It is a big list. I am open to any comments, suggestions etc.

Thanks!!

Attached Files

#72 Gern

• 62 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:52 PM

As far as I know, and I'll be happy to be corrected, the only known positive effects of RSV on serious illness in large mammals, are the reports on Minni and the other dog. No other such in vivo effects can be found in the literature. That's why no oncologist will recommend RSV instead of chemotherapy.

So are you saying there are no studies proving it doesn't work?

Edited by Gern, 07 September 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#73 LucidMind

• 49 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

As far as I know, and I'll be happy to be corrected, the only known positive effects of RSV on serious illness in large mammals, are the reports on Minni and the other dog. No other such in vivo effects can be found in the literature. That's why no oncologist will recommend RSV instead of chemotherapy.

Who cares if there are no studies that do not definitively prove that it works? The majority of the supplements taken on this forum are not backed by the numerous replicated double-blind placebo clinical trials. As long as the supplement or nutraceutical has shown some benefit in mammals and is shown not to cause toxicity, why not try it out on your dog who has terminal cancer. It just might work. 

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#74 Gern

• 62 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

Who cares if there are no studies that do not definitively prove that it works? The majority of the supplements taken on this forum are not backed by the numerous replicated double-blind placebo clinical trials. As long as the supplement or nutraceutical has shown some benefit in mammals and is shown not to cause toxicity, why not try it out on your dog who has terminal cancer. It just might work. 

My dog had a hemangiosarcoma removed, along with his spleen. Which means you face treatment options, typically: immunosupressive drugs or nothing. The prospects are generally pretty grim, so you have to come to grips with that. Typically, the hope isn't to cure it, but to extend life. Perhaps another 6 months or so. I have found a number of studies on Reseveratrol or using Reveratrol and Quercitin in combination that indicate it is effective (at least as far as I can tell.) in treating certain types of cancer:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19496785

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20952510

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2510765/

Not being able to decyper exactly what the studies are saying makes it difficult to say what effect they had. What I was intending to get at was do the bulk of studies indicate it might have an effect or are there quite few that say "yup tried it and it didn't do anything." I wasn't so much looking for proof that it worked, but indications that it might not.

Edited by Gern, 08 September 2016 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users