Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nutrition & Supplements for Skin Health

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

(please feel free to add more ...thanks)

VIT C

VIT E
Tocopherol

VIT A / CAROTENOID
Lycopene
Lutein
Canthaxanthin

FLAVONOID
Polyphenol antioxidant

The main source of polyphenol antioxidants is nutritional, since they are found in a wide array of phytonutrient-bearing foods. For example, most legumes; fruits such as apples, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, grapes, pears, plums, raspberries, and strawberries; and vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, celery, onion and parsley are rich in polyphenol antioxidants. Red wine, chocolate, green tea, olive oil, bee pollen and many grains are alternative sources. The principal benefit of ingestion of antioxidants seems to stem from the consumption of a wide array of phytonutrients; correspondingly, the role of dietary supplements as a method of realizing these health benefits is the subject of considerable discussion.

Proanthocyanidin
Proanthocyanidins can be found in many plants, most notably pine bark, cinnamon, grape seed, cocoa, grape skin, and red wines of Vitis vinifera. However, bilberry, cranberry, black currant, green tea, black tea, and other plants also contain these flavonoids. The berries of chokeberry, specifically black chokeberry, have the highest measured concentrations of proanthocyanidin found in any plant to date

Common antioxidants currently used are vitamin C and vitamin E; however, studies show that proanthocyanidins antioxidant capabilities are 20 times more powerful than vitamin C and 50 times more potent than vitamin E. Proanthocyanidins found in pine bark and grape seed extract work directly to help strengthen all the blood vessels and improve the delivery of oxygen to the cells. Proanthocyanidins also have an affinity for cell membranes, providing nutritional support to reduce capillary permeability and fragility. Although flavonoids are widespread in nature, the powerful proanthocyanidin compound is most abundant and available from the bark of the maritime pine and in grape seeds, or pips.

Oligomeric proanthocyanidins or OPCs are a class of flavonoid complexes found in sea buckthorn oil and grape seeds and skin, that act as antioxidants (free radical scavengers) in the human body.

In 1948 Jack Masquelier discovered oligomeric proanthocyanidins on the skin of a peanut by accident. Oligomeric proantocyanidins are found in most plants and thus are a part of the human diet. Oligomeric proanthocyanidins are found in large quantities in grape seed extract, in RED grapes, in the red skins of peanuts, in coconuts, apples, and in the bark of Pinus maritima. Especially the skin, seeds and seed coverings of plants contain large amounts of oligomeric proanthocyanidins. It is possible that they serve as a plant defense.

Catechin
Tea, green and white tea, chocolate, fruits, vegetables, wine, habitual exercise

Resveratrol
Muscadine
Red wine
Red grape juice

COQ10
Pork heart
Chicken leg
Beef heart
Beef liver
Mackerel
Herring

Manganese

R-lipoic acid
Lipoic acid is found in a variety of foods, notably kidney, heart and liver meats as well as spinach, broccoli and potatoes.

Salicylic acid
Veggies, fruits, herbs, bark of willow trees

Curcumin
Turmeric

Grape seed | Resveratrol, Polyphenol
Grapes, juice and wine

Omega 3
http://en.wikipedia....Dietary_sources

Salmon oil
Flax seed
Krill oil

Essential fatty acid
Almost all the polyunsaturated fat in the human diet is from EFA. Some of the food sources of ?-3 and ?-6 fatty acids are fish and shellfish, flaxseed (linseed), hemp oil, soya oil, canola (rapeseed) oil, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, leafy vegetables, and walnuts.

Dark chocolate

Gamma-linolenic acid
GLA is obtained from vegetable oils, such as evening primrose (Oenothera biennis) oil, blackcurrant seed oil, borage oil and hemp seed oil, and from spirulina, a cyanobacterium. Each contains varying amounts of the fatty acid, with borage oil usually being the most heavily concentrated form. All are widely available in pharmacies, health food stores, or online shops.

The human body produces GLA from linoleic acid (LA). This reaction is catalized by ?6-desaturase (D6D), an enzyme which allows the creation of a double bond on the sixth carbon counting from the carboxyl terminus. LA is consumed sufficiently in most diets, from such abundant sources as cooking oils and meats. However, a lack of GLA can occur when there is a reduction of the efficiency of the D6D conversion (for instance, as people grow older or when there are specific dietary deficiencies) or in disease states where there is excessive consumption of GLA metabolites.

Evening primrose
Black currant oil
Borage oil

of the three oils, black currant oil (in doses of 500 mg twice a day) is the most economical remedy for dry skin conditions.

http://www.lef.org/m...side-Out_01.htm

http://www.lef.org/m...oic-Acid_01.htm

http://www.lef.org/m...Real-Age_01.htm

http://www.lef.org/m...Real-Age_01.htm

#2 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

Tea (esp. White tea and Green tea) (also externally)
All fruits and vegetables
Not-pre-fabricated meals
VitD+Calcium
Selenium
Manganese

Eating every 2-3 hours to keep blodsugar-level stable. No processed sugar (saccharose)!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 frederickson

• 281 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:44 AM

oral glucosamine has been shown to reduce wrinkles... anecdotally, i have been on a high dose of glucosamine/chondroitin/msm combo for several years and have essentially wrinkle free skin in my early 30's.

"It is well known that destructive alterations in collagen, elastin and glycosaminoglycans contribute to degenerative changes seen in aging skin.

A randomized, controlled study was conducted with 53 female volunteers who were supplied with an oral supplement containing glucosamine, amino acids, minerals and various antioxidant compounds. Hydration properties of the skin as well as textural analysis of the women's fine lines and wrinkles were assessed following five weeks intake of the oral supplement and results were compared with those of a control group of 12 individuals who did not take the supplement.

The results showed a statistically significant reduction in the number of visible wrinkles and a reduction in the number of fine lines in the group of women who took the supplement.

This study showed that an oral supplement containing glucosamine, minerals and various antioxidant compounds can potentially improve the appearance of visible wrinkles and fine lines. It did not, however, affect epidermal hydration. Topically applied agents are usually required to keep aging skin moist.*

* Murad H, et al. The effect of an oral supplement containing glucosamine, amino acids, minerals, and antioxidants on cutaneous aging: a preliminary study. J Dermatolog Treat 2001 Mar;12(1):47-51."

Edited by frederickson, 21 June 2008 - 05:45 AM.

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Study Demonstrates Dietary Supplement Lutein Increases Skin Hydration, Elasticity And Lipid Levels

lutein and its associated molecule zeaxanthin, when taken daily as a 10 mg oral lutein supplement, increased skin hydration by 38 percent, skin elasticity by 8 percent and the level of superficial lipids present in the skin by 33 percent after adjustments for placebo. Results also showed that lutein decreased oxidation of those beneficial lipids by 55 percent after adjustment for placebo.

The study further demonstrated that the combination of oral and topical administration of lutein/zeaxanthin provided even more powerful improvements, increasing skin hydration by 60 percent, skin elasticity by 20 percent and the amount of superficial lipids present in the skin by 50 percent after adjustment for placebo, all while decreasing the oxidation of those beneficial lipids by 64 percent.

http://www.medicalne...icles/51711.php

FOODS WITH LUTEIN:
Mg / serving

Kale (raw) - 26.5 / 1 cup
Kale (cooked) - 23.7 / 1 cup
Spinach (cooked) - 20.4 / 1 cup
Collards (cooked) - 14.6 / 1 cup
Turnip greens (cooked) - 12.2 / 1 cup

More foods here ; http://www.luteininfo.com/whereraw

http://www.luteininfo.com/home

#5 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

Half a cup of Kale....I can handle that.

http://www.luteininfo.com/skin

Edited by immortali457, 15 March 2009 - 01:51 AM.

#6 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

I put about 100g of kale and 100g of spinach in my green smoothies every morning, with the fruit of course :-)

an exmaple of a greensmoothies here ;

Edited by Matt, 15 March 2009 - 03:12 AM.

#7 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:50 AM

Tea (esp. White tea and Green tea) (also externally)
All fruits and vegetables
Not-pre-fabricated meals
VitD+Calcium
Selenium
Manganese

Eating every 2-3 hours to keep blodsugar-level stable. No processed sugar (saccharose)!

Yes, the minerals and vitamins needed for bone health shouldn't be overlooked. If your face hasn't its natural internal support then that will affect your skin.

I put about 100g of kale and 100g of spinach in my green smoothies every morning, with the fruit of course :-)

Any special recipe?

Edited by Ben - Aus, 15 March 2009 - 03:53 AM.

#8 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:22 AM

Any special recipe?

Yes, you can check them out at my blog here; http://www.matts-cr.blogspot.com/ Just scroll down a bit and you'll see the smoothies I make.

#9 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

Any special recipe?

Smoothie 1

Kale
Collards
Chard
Green Apple
Lemon

Smoothie 2

Kale
Collards
Chard
Spinach
Pear

Smoothie 3

Kale
Lacinto
Red Kale
Spinach
Blueberries
Coconut Oil

I got all from raw vegan restaurants.

More here:
http://www.gorillafood.com/
http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/

#10 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Great price on lutein.

http://purebulk.com/lutein-5-c-59.html

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Great price on lutein.

http://purebulk.com/lutein-5-c-59.html

Damn, that is hard to beat. Good prices for international shipping too. I just ordered 100 grams.

#12 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

I take Astaxanthin. It's supposed to improve skin elasticity.

#13 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Watery vegetables are good for keeping the sub dermal layer of your skin hydrated, thus plump looking. And there is never any substitute for sleep and a good exercise regimen.

#14 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

such as cucumbers, celery, squash, spinach, brussels sprouts, iceberg lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, bell peppers, eggplant

#15 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

such as cucumbers, celery, squash, spinach, brussels sprouts, iceberg lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, bell peppers, eggplant

And tomatoes.

#16 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:21 AM

Heres an article on Lycopene which has already been mentioned.

Tomato dishes 'may protect skin'
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/7370759.stm

"Skin samples from the tomato group showed they had 33% more protection against sunburn - the equivalent of a very low factor sun cream - and much higher levels of procollagen, a molecule which gives the skin its structure and keeps its firm.

"The tomato diet boosted the level of procollagen in the skin significantly. These increasing levels suggest potential reversal of the skin ageing process," said Professor Lesley Rhodes, a dermatologist at the University of Manchester. "

Edited by Matt, 21 March 2009 - 12:23 AM.

#17 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

i take Lycopene twice a week and raw tomato everyday,
i know one can benefit most from the tomato by cooking it as dish. i heard a lot of you guys take tomato sauce as substitute, but do they mostly with preservatives or other rubbish ingredients?

by the way, i would like to know most powdered (freeze dry) form of veggies or berries , are they good to take? i mean, most of us don't have time to prepare and buy fresh veggies and berries everyday, the only way is to take from supplements. can i get benefits from those green veggies, berries powder? i don't know whether most of the anti-oxidant or good phytocheicals have lost during the process, also the duration inside the bottle.

#18 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:43 AM

i know one can benefit most from the tomato by cooking it as dish. i heard a lot of you guys take tomato sauce as substitute, but do they mostly with preservatives or other rubbish ingredients?

by the way, i would like to know most powdered (freeze dry) form of veggies or berries , are they good to take? i mean, most of us don't have time to prepare and buy fresh veggies and berries everyday, the only way is to take from supplements. can i get benefits from those green veggies, berries powder? i don't know whether most of the anti-oxidant or good phytocheicals have lost during the process, also the duration inside the bottle.

I buy tomato paste in a little can. It hasn't any preservatives. I don't think they need them when they seal it into a can.

#19 kai73

• 43 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

I read studies in pudmed where they gave to 4 groups lycopene supps, tomato rich in lycopene, tomato engineered to have no lycopene, or placebo. The health effect was higher in group who assumed tomato rich in lycopene. But at 2nd place there was the group who ate tomato with no lycopene....so be careful when thinking that lycopene is what makes tomato so healthy.

#20 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Got my bag from purebulk.com today. This stuff is gonna last a LONG time at around 10mg a day.

#21 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

For a dose of 10mg net Lutein your daily dose would be 200mg (200 milligrams) Lutein PE 5%.
So for around $16.50 (shipped) for 100 grams this will give me 500 doses at 10mg net Lutein
Comes out to between 3-4 cents a day.

Edited by immortali457, 25 March 2009 - 09:41 PM.

#22 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I got mine today. I'm going to aim for 20 mg per day, using 1/8th of a teaspoon as a rough guide.

#23 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:21 AM

Jill, did you also get yours from purebulk?

#24 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

Yes.

Btw, it's JLL, not Jill :)

#25 ironchet

• 66 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

I consume most of the food and supplements listed in this thread and still have dry itchy skin esp in the winter time. I will order lutein and glucosamine sulfate and give these a try. Thanks for the purebulk link.

#26 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

[quote name='ironchet' date='29-Mar 2009, 12:13 AM' post='310828']
I consume most of the food and supplements listed in this thread and still have dry itchy skin esp in the winter time. I will order lutein and glucosamine sulfate and give these a try. Thanks for the purebulk link.

dry itchy skin?? guess something topical will work better, though i take lots of the supplements, however, they distribut throughout your body and i am not sure how much get abosrbed and really can benefit your skin.

do some exfoliation, and then apply cream with skin oils. you might have rough dead skin and only when you remove it by exfoliation then your skincare stuff can be effectly absorbed.

#27 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Where can I get Astaxanthin & Lutein in capsules?:)

#28 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

Where can I get Astaxanthin & Lutein in capsules? :-D

iherb

#29 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

I also take Biosil and MSM.

#30 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:09 AM

I also take Biosil and MSM.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I really think Biosil gives me pimples.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users