• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Music Visualization Algorithms

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

I was wondering... does anyone know how music players' visualization features work? What aspects of the music does it process? Thanks in advance :).

#2 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

I'm not very familiar with the algorithms that are used specifically.

But you might want to investigate FFT (Fast Fourier Transform). Fourier transform algorithms in general are able to convert any signal in the time domain representation into a frequency domain representation. This means that using it on an audio stream, it would be possible to generate amplitude information for certain frequencies or frequency bands. Like a spectrum analyser, or analogous to a setup with filters for several frequency bands.

Using this information in digital form, it would be possible to trigger visual effects, e.g. alternating colour scheme's depending on the frequencies and amplitudes used by the music, or more complex things.

But, like I mentioned, I'm not familiar with this particular subject, but at least, FFT would enable you to generate frequency dependant visual effects, but it's either overkill or ideal. You choose :)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

I'm not very familiar with the algorithms that are used specifically.

But you might want to investigate FFT (Fast Fourier Transform). Fourier transform algorithms in general are able to convert any signal in the time domain representation into a frequency domain representation. This means that using it on an audio stream, it would be possible to generate amplitude information for certain frequencies or frequency bands. Like a spectrum analyser, or analogous to a setup with filters for several frequency bands.

Using this information in digital form, it would be possible to trigger visual effects, e.g. alternating colour scheme's depending on the frequencies and amplitudes used by the music, or more complex things.

But, like I mentioned, I'm not familiar with this particular subject, but at least, FFT would enable you to generate frequency dependant visual effects, but it's either overkill or ideal. You choose ;)

ya i was thinking about it one day, and thought to myself how i would do it given knowledge of that level of program interfacing. I thought to myself the most efficient way to do it was with amplitude of different frequencies, since a couple of them could be associated with different emotions. I know there are also algorithms that can figure out general mood of the song, so with that one could easily use that to give the color of the piece.

I'll go look up the information you provided, sounds pretty interesting :~. Thanks

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mike09

• 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

Metamath is a tiny language that can express theorems in abstract mathematics,accompanied by proofs that can be verified by a computer program.This site has a collection of web pages generated from those proofs and lets you see mathematics developed in complete detail from first principles,with absolute rigor. Hopefully it will amuse you, amaze you, and possibly enlighten you in its own special way.========================================================== jack009California Drug Treatment

Edited by mike09, 14 August 2008 - 05:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users