Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Northern European and I never use sunscreen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

I was wandering what exactly makes on person more vulnerable to the sun than the other. I'm a Northern European and have medium light skin. I never use sunscreen when tanning, because well I never get sunburned. My dad also has never used sunscreen, he's 55 and he only has few wrinkles. Although I do build up a darkish brown tan very quickly, most of the time passing the red skin phase. Is it dependant on some enzymes in the skin which hasten the production of melanin or is it more dependant on avoiding inflammatory response.

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

Photodamage ("tanning") comprises 80% of the extrinsic causes for skin aging. Whether you are using a sunscreen or not, simply putting yourself in direct sunlight, risking cancer (yes cancer, that'd sure mess with your radical look dude), just to achieve a brown colour to your skin is insane. That you write that also don't use sunscreen really shocks me.

Cancer is real. Don't allow yourself the delusion that it just happens to other people. Wear sunscreen. Don't be such a shmykel.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ikaros

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

Wear sunscreen. Don't be such a shmykel.

Ok, but you really didn't answer my question.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:50 AM

I was wandering what exactly makes on person more vulnerable to the sun than the other. I'm a Northern European and have medium light skin. I never use sunscreen when tanning, because well I never get sunburned. My dad also has never used sunscreen, he's 55 and he only has few wrinkles. Although I do build up a darkish brown tan very quickly, most of the time passing the red skin phase. Is it dependant on some enzymes in the skin which hasten the production of melanin or is it more dependant on avoiding inflammatory response.

It's the melanin. Melanin is like having a built-in sunscreen. You may not get sunburned with moderate exposure, but you're still getting accelerated skin aging when you get exposed to UVA. With enough exposure I'm sure you could still get burned. Your dark skin is probably like having a single digit SPF.

#5 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

It is a pity that there are some people who still dare to venture outside without a broad-spectrum sunscreen.

Here is a light reading about melanin production in your skin (page:1-11)
And remember as Ben-Aus says you can get cancer even though you won't burn. (UVB: visible DNA damage; SCC, AC, BCC; UVA: invisible DNA damage; Malignant Melanoma.)

Attached Files

#6 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

It is a pity that there are some people who still dare to venture outside without a broad-spectrum sunscreen.

And remember as Ben-Aus says you can get cancer even though you won't burn. (UVB: visible DNA damage; SCC, AC, BCC; UVA: invisible DNA damage; Malignant Melanoma.)

Some People? Ikaros represents the vast majority of people who don't where sunscreen. How many guys do you really think use a sunscreen every day before going to work? About 0.000001%.

So Ikaros (deliberate irony?), it's like smoking, we all know it's bad for us, but some get away with it better than others. My dad used to smoke 40 a day and he looks 10 years younger than his age. But he'd probably look 15 years younger if he hadn't smoked and his teeth sure would have turned out better.

#7 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

Some People? Ikaros represents the vast majority of people who don't where sunscreen. How many guys do you really think use a sunscreen every day before going to work? About 0.000001%.

So Ikaros (deliberate irony?), it's like smoking, we all know it's bad for us, but some get away with it better than others. My dad used to smoke 40 a day and he looks 10 years younger than his age. But he'd probably look 15 years younger if he hadn't smoked and his teeth sure would have turned out better.

Yes I think he represents the vast majority of people. I live in the northern latitudes, coldish temperate climate and i dont see the sun that often, get like 15 minutes of medium sunlight per day. I think over years they still build up some damage. i'll try to wear a little sunscreen if spending hours outdoors.

some people are a bit lucky. they do everything short of throwing an atomic bomb next to them and still live okay.

your smoking example reminds me. The following is not a 100% true example of me but i do a "similar thing" so I'll use this example for simplicity's sake.

A friend of mine believes male semen/ejaculate contains a vast amount of life force and qi/chi and said: "Yeah Yeah, sure sure HYP86, you masturbate and live alright, seem okay, but you ejaculate several times a week right? and you're lucky to be healthy-looking, 6'2 tall, with good intelligence maybe due to some genes your parents passed to you BUT if you abstained from masturbation, exercise perfectly, eat more, sleep more, you'd be at least two more inches taller , maybe grow to 6 feet 6, and have 20+ points increase of IQ. you'll likely live to be 80-years-old but who knows? w/o masturbation, maybe you'd live 100! and oh yeah if you didn't masturbate i'm sure you wouldn't need to wear eyeglasses/contacts either."

Edited by HYP86, 17 July 2008 - 07:00 AM.

#8 ikaros

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:45 AM

I live in the northern latitudes, coldish temperate climate and i dont see the sun that often, get like 15 minutes of medium sunlight per day.

That's true. There's quite little sun here, so that might have an effect too. Besides the sun here is not as intense compared to southern latitudes. So I can figure why some more tropical people would want to crucify my carefree approach.

Edited by ikaros, 17 July 2008 - 11:46 AM.

#9 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

I live in the northern latitudes, coldish temperate climate and i dont see the sun that often, get like 15 minutes of medium sunlight per day.

That's true. There's quite little sun here, so that might have an effect too. Besides the sun here is not as intense compared to southern latitudes. So I can figure why some more tropical people would want to crucify my carefree approach.

Make sure you know what kind of sun intensity is important. It can be cold and cloudy outside yet the UV could still be quite intense.

Do a search in google with the name of your city and "UV index". Any day that has an index of 2 and above I would wear sunscreen.

#10 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

Indeed ;o)
I myself live even more North of you, guys. Right now it is Oslo but before I used to live in Tromsø where there is the UVindex is 3.5 for maybe totally a week in the year. In Oslo it would be around 5 from end of May till 25 July when it degrees rapidly till the beginning of Sept when there is max 3.
And I still advocate the usage of a good sunscreen everyday!

The more you can minimize the damage from the Sun the longer your health and youth will last :~

BTW, my previous comment was meant ironically about people venturing outside without a sunscreen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users