Photo

Where do you see Imminst in 10 years?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

Where do you see Imminst in 10 years? Do you think maybe, the ustream channel will have a cheap channel on tv? Do you see 100 paid workers for it? Will there be a brick and mortar location maybe, etc...?

Do you think the Convergence Conference will be regularily covered by all the major channels? Do you see Imminst having a million members and making a million dollars in revenue a year and have 10 books out?

I mean, based on the things we are doing and the amount of things we will be able to handle, projecting whatever growth you think there will be, then where do you see Imminst in 10 years?

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:01 AM

Good question. I have no idea about the answer, though. I joined relatively recently (in 2007), so i don't really know how imminst has been progressing in the past years until now, which could give me some rough estimate (or just plain guess :) ) as to where it's going.

Edited by sam988, 04 August 2008 - 12:02 AM.

#3 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

having a brick and mortar building or office location would be nice, but if we hit singularity and have virtual lives/be uploaded, having a physical building may not be that good of an investment, simply satisfying our ego, superficial vanities. The money can be better spent on having "100 paid workers and 10 books out every year" something like that

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

Good question. I have no idea about the answer, though. I joined relatively recently (in 2007), so i don't really know how imminst has been progressing in the past years until now, which could give me some rough estimate (or just plain guess ;o) ) as to where it's going.

Mind outlined what has happened so far this year here: http://www.imminst.o...008-t23268.html

and before that there was a conference a few years back, a book written, a documentary made, a forum set up and a membership base of radical life extension activist minded people gathered. Thats all I can really think of. Not a ton of stuff has happened so far, but its come far, and its primed for making strides.

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

having a brick and mortar building or office location would be nice, but if we hit singularity and have virtual lives/be uploaded, having a physical building may not be that good of an investment, simply satisfying our ego, superficial vanities. The money can be better spent on having "100 paid workers and 10 books out every year" something like that

Well, a brick and mortar building could pool volunteers and resources and build up a supply of stuff like marketing promotional material equipment like poster makers, film equipement etc... it would allow people to meet and brain storm on a regular basis and gather the media, hold speeches, pay workers to go out into communities and distribute stuff etc.. and work on and plot out books and have a store for merchandise or whatever and all kinds of things. It may not be neccessary though your right. It would have a lot of function though.

Im looking to pool more volunteer hours in my area for instance, I have room for a life extensionist roomate. See this thread: http://www.imminst.o...p;showentry=283

If you have a copy of ending aging then take this challenge:
http://groups.myspace.com/EndingAging

(Thought Ide throw that link in there since I went past it along the way to finding that roomate link)

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:56 AM

Given the pace of technology, it is waaaay to hard to speculate 10 years out. I wouldn't mind looking 1 year out though. Hopefully double the members and double the site traffic. That would be nice.

#7 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:27 AM

Given the pace of technology, it is waaaay to hard to speculate 10 years out. I wouldn't mind looking 1 year out though. Hopefully double the members and double the site traffic. That would be nice.

One thing to keep in mind is the way that the feel of a site changes as the population grows. I'm sure that most of you that have been online for a while and noticed certain sites you frequent getting big have seen how the initial sense of community can dissipate as things go over a certain threshold size. Here we have at least one escape valve we can turn on at any time by splitting off the nootropic/supplement forums when the time is right. The question is, when will that be, how will we know, and will we do it?

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:52 AM

where do you see Imminst in 10 years?

On our sixth biannual iteration of the name change vote.

#9 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:26 AM

Well after about a month and a half people wouldnt have started screaming that it was taking to long, then ingenuous generation and discussion of names would have continued on for another 3 or 4 months and we would have had a name.

It seems to me that coming to a conclusion after a period of time that is longer than some people would hope it would be is better than not coming up with any conclusion at all.

#10 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:18 AM

lol!

i even lost count on how many topics were made on this ;o)

#11 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

On our way to world domination.

#12 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

HYP86 wrote:
>>>

Right..... LOL I can't envision this happening within ten years.

I think we need to look at how revenue is raised by ImmInst and how we can expand it. Will we simply do this through membership dues? Or should we try our hand at fundraising among a larger demographic? I think having a brick and mortar base of operations would be very cool but at the same it would cost a fairly large sum of money. And so for at least awhile more we will need our "HQ" in a members home.

A key to growth in my view is to start up ImmInst university student clubs across the world. We should have an ImmInst officer whose sole job is helping to get these established. If we did this now, in ten years time a great deal of expansion might well have been achieved.

I love "The Venture Brothers" TV animated series and I wish we could have our own supersonic plane, secret lair, public relations centers, research labs, billion dollar bank accounts, ninjas and team of crack experts. Oh, well...

John Grigg

#13 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

A key to growth in my view is to start up ImmInst university student clubs across the world. We should have an ImmInst officer whose sole job is helping to get these established. If we did this now, in ten years time a great deal of expansion might well have been achieved.

That's not a bad idea. I bet that with the right backing BrokenPortal might be willing to help with something like this. The next two steps would be finding volunteers to serve as student leaders at various campuses and determining what exactly these groups would DO. Richard Leis' H+ group could contribute some ideas I'm sure.

#14 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:13 AM

Good idea about groups. Like you say theres the H+ groups, MF has groups, and I think groups are right up our alley. Im working with ideas to get one started in my area though a coordinated effort that we can all build from and use around here does seem to be in order.

Can any body lay out some steps and structure for it? Lend it some direction etc..? I was just talking to some people about helping me with one today. John, Lunar, anybody, any more ideas on this? Any ideas on how to highlight it around here in a way we can keep some attention flowing into it? I mean, even if we did get something like this moving, stuff tends to get buried..

It would sure be nice like you say, to have many more clubs like this started around the world now and then see how they have bloomed in ten years.

#15 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:50 AM

Brokenportal wrote:
Good idea about groups. Like you say there is the H+ groups, MF has groups, and I think groups are right up our alley. I'm working with ideas to get one started in my area though a coordinated effort that we can all build from and use around here does seem to be in order.

Can any body lay out some steps and structure for it? Lend it some direction etc..? I was just talking to some people about helping me with one today. John, Lunar, anybody, any more ideas on this? Any ideas on how to highlight it around here in a way we can keep some attention flowing into it? I mean, even if we did get something like this moving, stuff tends to get buried..
>>>

1. We already have the regional forums here, but we could establish a new forum entitled "Imminst Student Clubs" and have as subforums, the "Imminst Student Clubs Liaison Officer Announcements" and also the "Imminst Student Club Presidents Announcements."
2. The Executive Director in conjunction with the Board of Directors could create a new position along the lines of "Imminst Student Clubs Liaison Officer."
3. The Executive Director and the Board of Directors would then appoint a person to this new position.
4. The Imminst Student Clubs Liaison Officer would report once a month to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors regarding progress made, and also give a report to the general membership on a monthly basis.
5. The Imminst Student Clubs Liaison Officer will initially recruit Imminst Student Club Presidents/grassroot organizers at roughly 5-10 colleges seen as being potentially fertile ground.
6. The Imminst Student Club Presidents will be required once a month to file a brief report on the "Imminst Student Club Presidents" subforum.
7. The Executive Director and the Board of Directors will decide on the brochures, pamphlets, DVD's, banners, posters, signs, etc., that can be used to at least partially supply Imminst Student Clubs with recruitment/educational materials.
8. General guidelines for Imminst Student Clubs will be drawn up by the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to help avoid public relations nightmares such as when the Extropy Institute student club at MIT took a stance against affirmative action and was publicly villified, which lead to the club disbanding.
9. At all Imminst Conferences the Imminst Student Clubs Liaison Officer would give at the very least a brief report on the current progress of the Imminst student clubs.

I would think these clubs could be established at both the high school and university level.

The upcoming Convergence08 Conference might be a good place (despite the many distractions) to at least briefly discuss the matter of setting goals for this vital subject.

you continue:
It would sure be nice like you say, to have many more clubs like this started around the world now and then see how they have bloomed in ten years.
>>>

I agree and so the time is now to get the ball rolling! I am willing to serve at any level of responsibility for this very important task, if asked by The Immortality Institute leadership.

When I was in high school a number of my friends & I established a science fiction book club. A guy I had never met showed up at the following meeting and got himself appointed our president. We never saw him again and he did absolutely nothing for the organization! LOL But I later heard he put his club presidency position down on his college applications. May we do better in our leadership choices than my science fiction club did.

Along with Brokenportal, I hope that when October 27th, 2018 rolls around, we can hold our heads high regarding the progress made to get Immortality Institute student clubs established across the globe.

John Grigg

#16 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

I don't see it going any further than where it is now.

#17 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

I don't see it going any further than where it is now.

Would be helpful if you gave some reasons why.

#18 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

John, I definitely support ImmInst-affiliated high school and college student clubs, especially after my experience with starting transhumanist clubs. A new Life Extension Club started recently at Arizona State University.

The steps you listed are good. I would emphasize that we need some sort of ImmInst introductory packet of material, online or mailed, to send to those interested in starting a club. This information should include specific help in starting a club. An example of how this might be done is at:

Content might include flyers, brochures, the ImmInst movie and book, etc.

Edited by Richard Leis, 28 October 2008 - 06:33 PM.
updated for clarity

#19 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

Rather than try to project, how about putting forth potential visions. e.g.

One niche role I could see ImmInst filling is spearheading recruiting efforts to find crowdsourcing volunteers for biomedical and aging researchers. Donating computing time is just the tip of the iceberg. Donating brain cells to the cause could be far more powerful if you take into consideration the law of large numbers and the viral nature of successful memes. The technology is available to do this now. Watching for new opportunities and jumping on them quickly as well as challenging scientists to adopt this model and consider it as a possible vehicle for driving their research are ideas we should continue to explore.

#20 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:10 PM

John, I definitely support ImmInst-affiliated high school and college student clubs, especially after my experience with starting transhumanist clubs. A new Life Extension Club started recently at Arizona State University.

The steps you listed are good. I would emphasize that we need some sort of ImmInst introductory packet of material, online or mailed, to send to those interested in starting a club. This information should include specific help in starting a club. An example of how this might be done is at:

Content might include flyers, brochures, the ImmInst movie and book, etc.

I contacted John about brainstorming on this group idea tomorrow at the wednesday brainstorm meeting. I also found a proposal for an mfuri student group at MF from cnorwood so I invited him. Im also hoping you can help us. I finally looked through your H+ info and Im finding that all these ideas seem like they would fit together pretty well. I read in your H+ stuff about filling out the neccessary paperwork to help get one going. I couldnt find the paper work though. You may have seen the modules that Kelsey set up for MFURI volunteers. It works great from what I see and I wanted to discuss implementing that and find out if that is what the stuff you have set up is like and or how it might all fit together. If you (and anybody interested) can make it then we'll be in there tomorrow at 4pm.

For those that dont know Richard has linked a schedule up here at imminst.org/meetings

Edited by brokenportal, 28 October 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#21 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

I contacted John about brainstorming on this group idea tomorrow at the wednesday brainstorm meeting. I also found a proposal for an mfuri student group at MF from cnorwood so I invited him. Im also hoping you can help us. I finally looked through your H+ info and Im finding that all these ideas seem like they would fit together pretty well. I read in your H+ stuff about filling out the neccessary paperwork to help get one going. I couldnt find the paper work though. You may have seen the modules that Kelsey set up for MFURI volunteers. It works great from what I see and I wanted to discuss implementing that and find out if that is what the stuff you have set up is like and or how it might all fit together. If you (and anybody interested) can make it then we'll be in there tomorrow at 4pm.

I should be available...I will log in from work.

The paperwork I was talking about depends on the school or institution in which you want to start a club. We had to figure out how to start a club here at the University of Arizona, for example, but it is different for every institution.

#22 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

Where is ImmInst going to be in 10 years? Golly gee.. :) that is LONG time when we're in exponentially accelerating change... regardless I think we might be able to extrapolate a little into the future..

I think ImmInst has had success because it is a grass roots attractor. It would be my hope that ImmInst would continue to be such an attractor, providing an informal place that is able to introduce the curious to audacious new ideas. How it accomplishes this task may become more sophisticated with technology but ultimately, ImmInst acts as a connector for a general purpose collector of individuals who don't much like the idea of death. It connects these individuals to like-minded others and organizations who can use their help and ideas. These individuals, once collected and connected, begin to specialize into the areas that they find most compatible with their temperament and help spread the idea that death could be optional through their own networks, passively or more or less actively, depending on their time, skills and desire. I like the accomplishments of ImmInst thus far and would hope that books, videos, conferences and all of the other ways the message of defeating the "blight of involuntary death" can be brought to bear on an apathetic mainstream. I also like the way ImmInst positions itself to assist seekers to connect them to other groups and organizations which can utilize the enthusiasm and talents of those who come here. Perhaps that is what we might see ImmInst becoming more of in the near and far future.. the first stop on the road to immortality.

#23 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

Brokenportal wrote:

For those that dont know Richard has linked a schedule up here at imminst.org/meetings
>>>

I find the energy and commitment Brokenportal and Richard are showing to be very exciting. I truly believe we can achieve the goals we are setting for ourselves and the Immortality Institute. But it will be a challenge!

I cannot make the Wednesday 4pm CST online meeting time but if the gathering were rescheduled for later in the day (8:30 CST) I could be there.

Best wishes,

John Grigg

#24 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:21 PM

Alright, we'll go over it at 4 with anybody interested, Richard will probably be there, and then Ill request for any interested people to meet in a follow up at 8:30 cst time today. I want to see if we can get a complete and agreeable structure worked out today and if we do then we can post it in the forums, get feedback, sit on it for a week and either bring up other ideas and concerns or propose it next wednesday.

#25 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

Good question. I have no idea about the answer, though. I joined relatively recently (in 2007), so i don't really know how imminst has been progressing in the past years until now, which could give me some rough estimate (or just plain guess :) ) as to where it's going.

Mind outlined what has happened so far this year here: http://www.imminst.o...008-t23268.html

and before that there was a conference a few years back, a book written, a documentary made, a forum set up and a membership base of radical life extension activist minded people gathered. Thats all I can really think of. Not a ton of stuff has happened so far, but its come far, and its primed for making strides.

The book, the documentary, the forum all came about by enormous effort by Bruce Klein, with a lot of others volunteering time and money as well. ImmInst has accomplished a great deal compared to many organizations. We rely on our volunteers, currently we are needing someone that can help with software issues. Also, help with marketing. I would hope that in 10 years, ImmInst will have grown, would have more money to donate to research--as well as sponsor conferences and help any local groups that form. I'd like it to be the same place for networking and sharing of cutting edge news that benefits our members, as it is now :).

#26 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm unsure where I see ImmInst in ten years. I'm also unsure if it really needs to grow beyond a broad introductory organization to these topics. I think it will certainly evolve with the various trends, perhaps slower than optimal. I think we do need another person like Mind or like Bruce was in the beginning to jump to that next level.

#27 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

shepard wrote:
I'm unsure where I see ImmInst in ten years. I'm also unsure if it really needs to grow beyond a broad introductory organization to these topics. I think it will certainly evolve with the various trends, perhaps slower than optimal. I think we do need another person like Mind or like Bruce was in the beginning to jump to that next level.
>>>

"When there are no heros around ordinary people must do"

John Grigg

#28 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

"When there are no heros around ordinary people must do"

John Grigg

That reminds me of these videos: http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=23780

I posted them because I think things like this are good for amping people up and getting them motivated and inspired.

Im building a myspace page to network longevity communities together here:
http://profile.myspa...ac-79a55680f2a2

Im going to be adding songs like that that have life extension themes and stuff in there. If you have any suggestions for songs then let me know. If you want to help with that page in general then let me know.

#29 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:36 PM

If you are successful with your mission then you will have become irrelevant.

#30 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

If you are successful with your mission then you will have become irrelevant.

?

Not sure what that means really. Im not quite sure what would be irrelevant about a chance to pioneer existence and the universe for indefinity. Im quite positive that everything you do in your grave for eternity will be irrelevant though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users