Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

paypal sites?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lucidver

• 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

Hi, can anyone recommend a site that accepts paypal?

Alternatively, anyone have good experiences with Internation Antiaging, Unique Nutrition, Biogenesis, or Harvest Moon?

I am trying to avoid using my credit card with these out of country places. Never know when they might decide to just start charging a bunch of bogus stuff on my card.

I am pretty new to nootropics, and to this forum. To date I have only ordered Gelantamine from iHerb and I take 3g of fish oil which I buy at a local walmart.

#2 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:11 AM

Is paypal safer? I've read some horror stories about paypal. People have had money taken out of their bank accounts with no options of disputing those transactions.

If I were to do a paypal account again (I closed the one I had) I would use a separate back account for it.

I think you have more protection from fraudulent charges with a credit card.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:27 AM

Is paypal safer? I've read some horror stories about paypal. People have had money taken out of their bank accounts with no options of disputing those transactions.

If I were to do a paypal account again (I closed the one I had) I would use a separate back account for it.

That's a good question. After years of successful internet buying, my credit card number was finally stolen and used fraudulently. I'm trying to use either paypal or google checkout, or at least retailers that seem big enough to be "safe", i.e., no dodgy little mom 'n' pop shops, unless I know them. My main objective is to keep my credit card number secure to avoid going through that hassle again. As it happened, though, hassle was all it was as all my money was refunded. This was actually paid for by my banks insurance, not from tracking down the crooks and breaking their legs. It might be the case that if a vendor charged you through paypal, but didn't deliver a product, paypal would tell you to take a hike, but that doesn't really sound like them to me. They are closely associated with EBay, and have all sorts of protections for that kind of transaction. It stands to reason that given their business model, they would be about as safe as Visa itself, but I don't know this for sure. Anyone know what PayPal's fraud policies are?

#4 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

If I'm not mistaken, PayPal has a policy against selling drugs. I've heard about disposable credit card numbers, maybe you should ask your bank if they offer such service.

#5 lucidver

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

Interesting...

Paypal has the advantage of being able to test the water I suppose.

Something of an odd feeling with putting in my credit card numbers on these sites, which is why I asked about the sites listed which only take card and if anyone could vouch for them. I see IAS is pretty reputable when searching the forum, same for Nubrain. Don't know about the others yet.

#6 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

I don't think paypal is all that great.

Have you read the fine print?

Have you checked out this site?

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

I would not give paypal access to my checking account. If someone gets access to your paypal account they can clean out your account and you may not have any recourse. Read the fine print first.

I think credit cards offer more protection than paypal.

#7 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

That's a good question. After years of successful internet buying, my credit card number was finally stolen and used fraudulently. I'm trying to use either paypal or google checkout, or at least retailers that seem big enough to be "safe", i.e., no dodgy little mom 'n' pop shops, unless I know them. My main objective is to keep my credit card number secure to avoid going through that hassle again. As it happened, though, hassle was all it was as all my money was refunded. This was actually paid for by my banks insurance, not from tracking down the crooks and breaking their legs. It might be the case that if a vendor charged you through paypal, but didn't deliver a product, paypal would tell you to take a hike, but that doesn't really sound like them to me. They are closely associated with EBay, and have all sorts of protections for that kind of transaction. It stands to reason that given their business model, they would be about as safe as Visa itself, but I don't know this for sure. Anyone know what PayPal's fraud policies are?

I don't even have a paypal account yet. I was both doubtful and plain lazy to set it up. The only credit cards I have are American Express (which other countries don't seem to take) and Visa. My amex is my parents' sub-card anyway, and my Visa card is associated with United Airline's bonus miles card. I'm lucky the parents take care of my credit card bills (I spend responsibly as their son), but I don't want them worry about me buying "drugs" online, you know. They may think i'd gotten hooked with illegal substances or with the Mafia or whatnot.

Credit card's has more consumer protection, i think. A few weeks ago, I used Visa card to buy some adrafinil but never got the product delivered to me! I think credit card offers more protection too. I was threatening the seller to refund my card or re-send me new adrafinil, because I don't want to take the 40 dollar loss. I think it works. Paypal may not go after the seller.

My main objective is to keep my credit card number secure to avoid going through that hassle again. As it happened, though, hassle was all it was as all my money was refunded. This was actually paid for by my banks insurance, not from tracking down the crooks and breaking their legs.

whoa niner, so the crooks got away? they're just gonna suck money out of other ppl's accounts in the future. but at least you got your money back.

additionally, i think it depends on the sites and their cc encrytion/transaction softwares etc, like how much length they go to in order to protect your card #, the scrambling technology etc. That's why I'm okay with using cc on reputable sites like Amazon and ebay but not badly-done sites.

Edited by HYP86, 12 August 2008 - 07:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#8 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

i think paypal is only safe if the item you buy is listed through eBay.

other than that its a pretty limited warranty.

Go disposable credit card's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users