• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

American Express "AMEX" is holding a contest to award a prize to the projects that get the most nominations. The Methuselah Foundation has submitted "Undergrads Fighting Age Related Diseases" as a project.

If you are a non card member you can sign up as such in under five minutes. You can follow these steps if you are having trouble.

Sign on here if you are joining our team to commit to recruiting the percentage of people you need per day so we can reach the 2000 nominations we need to make the cut for the AMEX prize.

Everytime somebody signs on to recruit then we have to recruit less people per day individually. Somebody will update the numbers once in a while as people sign on here. So, trying to get people to come here and sign up to recruit is also of benefit.

The top team at the AMEX project only has around 2,200 nominations so far. We can easily trump that. The winners will be chosen by an AMEX advisory panel. I think we have an excellent shot at this 1.5 million here.

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

I'm in to help us win the money!

Edited by kismet, 19 August 2008 - 09:20 PM.

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

I signed up,nominated and posted a comment...... :)

Edited by Shonghow, 19 August 2008 - 09:35 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

I'm in to help us win the money!

Thank you so much, kismet and Shonghow.

Some team members suggested calling this a rapid response team (RRT for short).

Brokenportal, cody, naapi, and jester are already onboard.

I am signing on to help this MFURI-AMEX rapid response team initiative.

Currently, the Rapid Response Team consists of:

1. Brokenportal
2. cody
3. naapi
4. jester
5. kismet
6. Shonghow
7. dnamechanic

I will post a Perfomance Index called the RRT Countdown along with progress toward the goal (PtG).

The RRT Countdown will be a relative performance number representing the needed number of nominations per RRT member.

The number will decline with MFURI-AMEX nominations and with RRT member increases. When it is zero, this particular firefight will be over.

For example:

2,000 nominations is the goal

Just say there there are 200 total nominations now, and 7 RRT members

(2000-200)/7= 258

Say tomorrow there are 250 total nominations, then:

(2000-250)/7= 250

then, five more RRT members sign on:

(2000-250)/12= 146

So, at this moment the Progress-to-Goal is 230

RRT Countdown is (2000-230)/7=253

----------------------------------------------------

MFURI-AMEX Initiative (Goal =2,000)

Progress to Goal - 230

RRT Countdown - 253

#5 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

The direct link to nominate is this:

http://www.memberspr...ect/view/BVVE2C

Vote! Nominate! In the center of the page, just below:

Should this project
... make the top 25?

You may have to register with minimal info.

While your at it, Digg it! Here!

Progress to Goal - 235

RRT Countdown - 252

#6 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:43 AM

Did you guys notice they did not return a confirmation email (or perhaps it just got lost for me). If they indeed did not send one, it would be quite easy to spoof (cheat) this competition. I'm not suggesting to do it, I'm just saying its possible. :)

#7 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Did you guys notice they did not return a confirmation email (or perhaps it just got lost for me).

Thanks Lightowl, good observation.

The guest registration process is pretty minimal.

Someone thought they had to be a member of American Express. The answer is no, you can register as a guest, probably just like you registered at ImmInst except as Lightowl pointed out , it may be easier.

To save a click, here is the Guest registration form:

http://tinyurl.com/5wvzxw

And then go here to nominate:

Progress to Goal - 243

RRT Countdown - 251

#8 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

Nominated and posted a comment.

#9 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

Nominated and posted a comment.

Thanks JLL.

Your comment is much appreciated.

Attached File  MFURI_Comment_JLL.jpg   25.79KB   2 downloads

Two hundred fifty (250) people have chosen to support this initiative.

Attached File  MFURI_1.jpg   41.96KB   2 downloads

Images from: American Express - Members Projects

Progress to Goal - 250

RRT Countdown - 250

#10 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

How is the recruiting going? It's a little bit more difficult than I have thought, so we could still use some help.

#11 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

Just casted my nomination :)

Good Luck!

#12 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

If every one on imminst nominated, we could easily win this!

I suggest to send a PM and/or email to every member and registered user.

#13 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

well there are only a couple of hundred active users here,the rest are passive and only registered

#14 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

I did it too :)

#15 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:05 PM

Official & concrete description

in today's meeting it was proposed to make the official description of the project more concrete, using for exemple what is already undergoing in LysoSENS and MitoSENS and all the projects that are starting with MFURI, and, very importantly: using images and if possible videos.

A small website may be created. Perhaps it should be done on some existing website but having a new website costs almost nothing if we do it and gives a much better image. We are lucky: UFARD (Undergrads Fighting Age Related Disease) is an available domain name: ufard.com, ufard.org, ufard.net are available. I propose to buy ufard.org (I can buy it: 10$ perhaps; and .com and .net if you think it is important) as soon as somehow here says he thinks it is a good thing to do. Within 2 days there might be something on ufard.org. I'm not a good at graphics, if some people want to help/do the website/replace my content by another one I'm perfeclty ok with it. We can then try to give a good rank in google.

Kmoody, who handles MFURI, could not be in the meeting, but he of course should be very interested. I personally think, and I'm sure that everybody here agrees, that the AMEX prize would be a burst for MFURI (I don't have shares in MFURI, it is not quoted yet ;-) Here are the projects in MFURI:
http://www.mfuri.org...ence_majors.htm (main list)
http://www.mfuri.org...logy_majors.htm
http://www.mfuri.org...ting_majors.htm
http://www.mfuri.org...sion_majors.htm
http://www.mfuri.org...lish_majors.htm
http://www.mfuri.org...logy_majors.htm
http://www.mfuri.org...inistration.htm
Philosophy - PENDING

What if you wish to do a real project (not only reading and talking) but are not an Undergrad?
a) mentor an MFURI project. some MF posts say that there is currently a demand for mentors (if you did a thesis i guess, but perhaps not necesarily) (btw I am prepared to mentor the methionine restriction project if are undergrad and are interested to participate: http://www.mfuri.org...htm#labresearch )
b) in today's meeting, I started for the first time presenting MPrize @ home (i didn't even contact SENS yet about it), the idea being very close to folding @ home, including distributed experiments: instead of giving your computer power, you go to any near petstore, buy 2 cages and a few mice, and they are your pets for a year or two. The latest finalizations, including scientific validity, are recently been discussed in the last posts of the thread: Can we conduct life-extension tests at home?, worms, flies, fishes..mice? but you shall probably see soon in a new thread...

Edited by AgeVivo, 20 August 2008 - 11:50 PM.

#16 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

AgeVivo signed on the MFURI-AMEX rapid response team initiative.

Currently, the Rapid Response Team consists of:

1. Brokenportal
2. cody
3. naapi
4. jester
5. kismet
6. Shonghow
7. dnamechanic
8. AgeVivo

Attached File  MFURI_2.jpg   23.8KB   0 downloads

Progress to Goal - 261

RRT Countdown - 217

Image from: American Express - Members Projects

#17 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:07 AM

[I propose to buy ufard.org as soon as somehow here says he thinks it is a good thing to do.

I propose that you not. It's waaayy too close to UFARDed...

Slightly better would be FightARD which sounds like an order shouted by a Cockney sergeant.

#18 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

... FightARD which sounds like an order shouted by a Cockney sergeant.

:) Yep

.... Attached File  MFURI_3.jpg   20.37KB   1 downloads

Progress to Goal - 265

RRT Countdown - 217

Image from: American Express - Members Projects

#19 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:01 AM

Please sign up to support this cause. I have an AMEX cash card and it has been my favorite credit card. I use it everywhere. Last year, I had over $1k of unauthorized credit card charges appear on my card and AMEX took care of it with little hassel. I did not even know about it, they called me up and asked if I made those purchases. Since then, I have been loyal to my AMEX card. I still have 2 Visa cards, but I only keep them open because it helps my credit rating. Also, one other important factor, out of all my cards, AMEX sends me the least amount of junk mail :-).

#20 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

Please sign up to support this cause. I have an AMEX cash card and it has been my favorite credit card...

Thanks Ghostrider for your support and encouraging words.

As an AMEX guest, one can nominate.

Here is the Guest registration form:

http://tinyurl.com/5wvzxw

And then go here to nominate:

.....Attached File  MFURI_5.jpg   44.54KB   0 downloads

....Attached File  MFURI_4.jpg   20.75KB   0 downloads

Progress to Goal - 276

RRT Countdown - 216

#21 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

ok, try http://www.fightard.org

now i need to change the content

#22 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

The nominations are rising. If you all help then we will win this.

I cant stress enough how important it is that all you who see this do what you can to get nominations for this. Im not saying drop everything, but drop what you can, and fill in what free time you can spare with it.

If, and its highly possible, this project receives the 100,000 to 1.5 million dollar prize then you will be very, very happy that you put in a little bit of time to help secure these measly 2,000 nominations. If you want to make a difference in a life extension advocacy group then heres your chance. If you dont take this one Im not sure what you might be waiting for. SENS cannot be funded off of hopes and thoughts alone.

#23 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

Good job with that fightard.org by the way. If anybody can help arrange the content in there then please do. Ill be continuing to recruit all day. If you want to join me and a few people struggling for this around then net then meet with us in ustream, let me know and Ill get you the time when I know it, soon.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/489381e14f271d66/48aeda4d71e7b3d6/48acd3663f822050/dbb37436" id="W489381e14f271d6648aeda4d71e7b3d6" height="305" width="405"><param value="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/489381e14f271d66/48aeda4d71e7b3d6/48acd3663f822050/dbb37436" name="movie"/><param value="transparent" name="wmode"/><param value="all" name="allowNetworking"/><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"/></object>

Here is a better box I just recently found for this. I cant get it to embed here. Dnamechanic or anybody who can, can you get this to embed?

Edited by brokenportal, 22 August 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#24 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

Here is a better box I just recently found for this. I cant get it to embed here. ... can you get this to embed?

No luck here BP, it getting it live.

Its a good one!

For now, here is your link:

http://widgets.clear...822050/dbb37436

Progress to Goal - 309

RRT Countdown - 211

#25 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

Who else is out there recruiting? Im busting my balls off for this. Do whatever you can.

I just ran into a random lady in myspace that just joined the MF and is out there doing what she can to spread the word. She, sent me, an invitation. Very refreshing. Get out there and recruit, there are a bunch of us working on it, your effort will matter, I promise you that.

If we get a 100,000 dollar prize out of this you wont be regretting it.

The numbers just made a small jump. Did one of you do something? I just did some posting in some non profit organizations pages. Ill see if that was the reason. In any case, if you need help finding people to recruit I can help you. I'll see you out in the field.

#26 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:25 AM

http://www.fightard.org updated. Widget included. I'm planning to add the links related to the subject, so that it gets a good position on Google. Comments are welcome.

#27 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:55 AM

Signed up as a guest, nominated the cause.

#28 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:30 AM

PM'd 300 imminst members, been recruiting and asking for support on other boards. Now that was all the "low hanging fruit", don't know what else I could do.

#29 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:03 AM

Who else is out there recruiting?

PM'd 300 imminst members, been recruiting and asking for support on other boards.

Thanks so much guys. You are obviously working very hard.

As a word of encouragement, My wife and I have sent many dozens of individual requests to friends, associates, and relatives. We will continue.

Also, every day I send a "Welcome" to the newly registered ImmInst members of that day.

In the welcome message is a request to "nominate" this project.

#30 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:21 AM

Kismet, if you pmed all those people then thats probably what caused the little surge in nominations, but you never know.

I keep depleting my resevours of good potential recruits too. Right now Im working on causes in my space. Find a cause collector, like a "non profit organizations" page and then add all of them. They arent going to much care if you comment them with a straight up solicitation, because chances are they will be doing the same thing to you as soon as you add them, and all of their cause minded friends will see the amex ad. Not to mention, Ive been doing this all day and Im having a great time networking and chatting with these cause people. I think its a really good niche spot to network with. Ive even got a meeting tentatively scheduled for us all to meet and discuss progression of causes, tips and tricks and things.

Anyways, we arent advancing in nominations by the hundreds like we need to be, but hold on, as we recruit we inspire recruiters, and the ads we leave do sit there for all the remainding days until the deadline. Not to mention we are bound to hit some jack pots where a person here or there is going to send out a newsletter that gets 80 people to nominate or whatever.

So good job and keep it up, Ill be back doing this again all day tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users