Photo
- - - - -

How much do you pay for electricity?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

So give me an idea how much you pay at your place?
I think one kWh in Austria costs about €17 cent, almost $25 cent. (rough average)
This makes folding ridiculously expensive...

#2 Obsidius

• Guest, F@H
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

I'm in the Mohave desert of California, USA (prime place for solar panels, if I could find a good price per watt). The local utility charges $0.075 USD for the first 900 kWh per month, then $0.135 USD per kWh beyond that.

With summer temps regularly over 120 F (49 C) cooling eats most of the lower rate, but I will happily be folding away come winter, as the computers are a more useful heat source than a space heater.

#3 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:23 PM

I think one kWh in Austria costs about €17 cent, almost $25 cent. (rough average)

New York City:
My summer electric bill...over $600 a month running AC most of the time.
During the winter the bill is approx $100-$150.
It used to be between $60 and $100.

con_ed_bill_july_2008.jpg

#4 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

London, UK running at c 14 pence per KWh., they are announcing 15-25% increases too. It's pretty expensive everywhere just global oil/energy markets, but also relative to general cost of living / salary ratio.

That's what you get for barging past me into the to 20 Kismet. ;)

Sentinel

#5 kismet

• Topic Starter
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

I need to win the 15$ to offset the costs of running F@h somehow! Though, I'll add 5$ and buy membership for a year if I get the money.

#6 quintin3265

• Guest, F@H
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

I will happily be folding away come winter, as the computers are a more useful heat source than a space heater.

I agree with this, and that's why I'm starting to contribute more now that the temps have begun to decline. It's only necessary to use the air conditioning about 10-20% of the time in summer under normal conditions, but with the computers and PS3s running, I find myself having to turn on the A/C just to dispel all the excess heat created. I've found that it needs to be below 55 degrees at night before it's economical to run all the folding. In July, when the average lows are in the upper 50s, it costs money not only to run the computers, but also to run the air conditioning on nights when it's cold enough outside that you need blankets.

As to the components heating a house by themselves, I think you'd have to have a small house. When it's below zero outside, I can't imagine the components raising the temperature inside by more than a degree or two.

Electricity costs $0.08 in the winter, fall, and spring, but is over 10 cents in the summer. I'm not sure why that is - perhaps because power consumption is so dramatically reduced in the summer that the company needs to make money? Generally, bills run from around $140 in January to $45 in July.

#7 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

I need to win the 15$ to offset the costs of running F@h somehow! Though, I'll add 5$ and buy membership for a year if I get the money.

Ha! Well good luck chap, I Simply don't have any more processors to throw at it. I bought a GPU and 500w power supply to get on the GPU Client. But the card's too big for any of my machines!! I either have to sell it and say enough is enough of... buy a new dedicated machine to house my Graphics card... this is getting nuts!

Fold away pal!

Sentinel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users