• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

TheFirstImmortal ImmInst administered PayPal Account

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the idea William. Will have to look into it. If it is free for non-profits it would make a nice adjunct to the Paypal account.

Apparently it is also being currently used.
X-Message-Number: 31012
Subject: Google Checkout for William O'Rights
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:47:40 -0700

The Venturists have set up a Google Checkout account for accepting donations for
William O'Rights.

Just go to the Venturists' website, http://www.venturist.org and use the button
under the title "Bill O'Rights Support."

If you don't have a Google/Gmail account, email me at markplus@hotmail.com and I
can send you a form to make a donation through your email address from a
different domain name.

#32 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

If you wish to donate to Bill in order to subsidize the purchase of nutritional supplements, please donate to him directly.

It so happens that two key members of ImmInst leadership (our Executive Director and our Chair of the Board) are personally in favor of this charitable giving. However, until sanctioned by a board vote this initiative should not be misconstrued as an official ImmInst project.

Just for clarification, does this mean Imminst has pulled the offer to provide a pay pal account to both the members here and to the good people over at cryonet?

#33 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:05 AM

Now please note:
The Immortality has no official capacity to be the legal custodian of funds that are donated to support William Constitution O'Rights fight against cancer by supplying him with nutritional supplements.

BUT we cannot oversee an account for that purpose, handle donations for that purpose,

Caliban, you keep ducking the question. You have made the above claims, and yet they are unsupported. I have asked you “Where is the Immortality Institutes policy that speaks against this?”

Let me put this to you another way. Unless you can point to the section of the IRS code regulating non-profit organizations that forbids this action, or to a policy here, your claims are wholly baseless and without merit. You haven’t articulated anything to support your position, so I assume that this is really your personal policy.

Your claim is without foundation.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

I understand Caliban's concerns about the fine details of charity.

Really, because I don't Mind. Perhaps you could explain it to me, because Caliban isn't answering my relatively straight forward questions. I can’t even tell if this is an IRS problem having to do with nonprofits or an in-house policy.

I’ll put the question to you Mind. Is there an Immortality Institutes policy that speaks against this? Is there something in the tax code that concerns you?

#35 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Bill, I'm sorry you are still concerned. To clarify: the position that I outline first and foremost a matter of ImmInst governance. This requires that the board makes these decisisons, and in this case the board has not made a decision. That is why I wrote:

until sanctioned by a board vote this initiative should not be misconstrued as an official ImmInst project.

If it were to come to a vote, I would be voting for supporting the infrastructure for a cryonics trust but against supporting donations to buy you vitamins. The reason for that was spelled out:

we cannot oversee an account for that purpose, handle donations for that purpose, ensure that donations are spent responsibly and in line with the donors wishes, or make any warranties or representations whatsoever about whether or not money donated for that purpose is invested wisely.

And there is also the familiar matter of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act as amended by the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 which is why I went on to say:

Specifically, the Institute does not endorse any assertions that taking nutritional supplements may have a beneficial effect for cancer sufferers.

However, I think that as a community, ImmInst can and should allow you to provide information about your situation which is why I wrote

The Institute can run newsitems and discussions pertaining to that issue, and we can allow people to solicit donations.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Now, maybe you could answer mine?

I am still unclear whether the Venturists/ the Cryonics Society are happy to receive money for vitamin purchases?

If the answer to that question is 'yes' then further discussion is of limited urgency, if not we have to find another way quickly of transferring funds which have already been pledged to that specific purpose.

#36 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

Just saw this thread. Sent in some money for William.

#37 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

I have started a director vote to make this official

http://www.imminst.o...mp;#entry261500

#38 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

I hope this answers some of your questions. Now, maybe you could answer mine?

No Caliban, It does not answer my questions, but we’ll get back to that. Let me address your quote

I am still unclear whether the Venturists/ the Cryonics Society are happy to receive money for vitamin purchases?

First of all Caliban, I couldn’t tell that this even was a question directed toward me. It looks more like a statement than a specific request for information from me. But now that I know that it is a question directed toward me, I will happily answer that.

The answer to your question is, “I have no idea.” If you want a solid yes or no answer to that question you would need to ask those groups, or perhaps Dave Pizer would be the best person to ask as he is the one who started the fundraiser along with Robert Ettinger. I will say this, I have no reason to believe that they would be willing to collect money for vitamins, they are to the best of my knowledge only concerned with the purchase of liquid nitrogen. I would have to say (and I’m speculating here) that they would not be willing to receive money for vitamin purchases.

If the answer to that question is 'yes' then further discussion is of limited urgency, if not we have to find another way quickly of transferring funds, which have already been pledged to that specific purpose.

However are you going to do that quickly without a board meeting?

Now, back to the question I’m trying to get answered.

You Wrote

Bill, I'm sorry you are still concerned. To clarify: the position that I outline first and foremost a matter of ImmInst governance. This requires that the board makes these decisisons, and in this case the board has not made a decision. That is why I wrote: until sanctioned by a board vote this initiative should not be misconstrued as an official ImmInst project.

This doesn’t clarify things. If it’s a matter of “ImmInst governance” than somewhere, reduced to writing is the policy or procedure that regulates this. Where is it? If this requires the board to make a decision, than point me to that policy or procedure. I’m looking for the mechanism that regulates this.

What your really saying is that Mind had no business setting this up because he had no authority to do so. And if that’s the case, I agree that it should be pulled. If this is the case we should fix the error swiftly, and because clearly Mind’s heart was in the right place and although may have overstepped his authority, certainly nothing unethical to debate here. Let’s just correct the error and move on.

However, I think that as a community, ImmInst can and should allow you to provide information about your situation which is why I wrote
The Institute can run newsitems and discussions pertaining to that issue, and we can allow people to solicit donations.

I don’t require Imminst permission (even in the non freedom of speech areas) to provide information about my situation. And the as for running discussions pertaining to this issue, several members have and are running discussions about this, they did not seek, nor did they need Imminst approval. And on the issue of allowing people to solicit donations, as Missminni has amply demonstrated, there isn’t really much you can do to stop it.

You keep talking about all these things that Imminst can do, the problem Caliban, is that these things have already been done.

#39 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thank You DukeNukem.

#40 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

Thank You Elrond. I hit the link several times to read it, but I keep getting an error message.

#41 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

Thank You DukeNukem.

Yeah, but which fund :-D and did you specify what you want the money spent on--supplements, or cryonics--then if cryonics then to William, or Marce if not William, or back to you if not William, or if not William and then not to Marce, then to you, or to the Venturists :)

#42 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

all of this could be covered by the dedicated donation clause in our constitution, no?

Section 3 -- Dedicated Donations

1. A donation shall be considered dedicated if the donor clearly states that the donation is to be used for a specific purpose only and outlines that purpose upon making the donation. Anonymous donations cannot be considered to be dedicated.
2. ImmInst Leadership will decide whether the donation is considered anonymous or not.
3. Donations cannot be dedicated after they have been received.
4. Dedicated donations may only be used for the purpose of their dedication.
5. Membership donations are not considered dedicated donations.
6. Dedicated donations that cannot be used for the purpose of their dedication within twelve (12) months shall be returned to the donor unless the dedication specifies otherwise.

#43 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

What your really saying is that Mind had no business setting this up because he had no authority to do so. And if that’s the case, I agree that it should be pulled. If this is the case we should fix the error swiftly, and because clearly Mind’s heart was in the right place and although may have overstepped his authority, certainly nothing unethical to debate here. Let’s just correct the error and move on.

I don't think there is any concrete policy on this at all. Perhaps there should be, and this will be the impetus in creating one. Have we ever had an "official" project?

#44 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:21 AM

all of this could be covered by the dedicated donation clause in our constitution, no?

1. A donation shall be considered dedicated if the donor clearly states that the donation is to be used for a specific purpose only and outlines that purpose upon making the donation. Anonymous donations cannot be considered to be dedicated.
2. ImmInst Leadership will decide whether the donation is considered anonymous or not.
6. Dedicated donations that cannot be used for the purpose of their dedication within twelve (12) months shall be returned to the donor unless the dedication specifies otherwise.

Hey, Hey, your stepping on my rebuttal Elrond. :-D

#45 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:03 AM

Relavant quotes in the Constitution & Bylaws.

ImmInst's mission is to conquer the blight of involuntary death.

Immortality Institute Constitution & Bylaws
Article II. -- Mission & Function
Section 4 -- Nonprofit Educational & Charitable Organization

· Section 5 -- Internal Regulation
ImmInst shall be regulated by these articles of incorporation hereafter referred to as “Constitution” and by the Bylaws set up in accordance with this Constitution.
Article II. -- Mission & Function
· Section 1 -- Main Mission
The mission of ImmInst is to conquer the blight of involuntary death.
· Section 2 -- Umbrella Organization
ImmInst shall function as an umbrella organization to help its members succeed in working towards the possibility of human physical immortality.

· Section 4 -- Nonprofit Educational & Charitable Organization
ImmInst is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes as may qualify it as exempt from federal income tax under applicable sections of the Internal Revenue Code (1986), as amended, or corresponding section(s) of any future federal tax code

#46 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:23 AM

I don't think there is any concrete policy on this at all. Perhaps there should be, and this will be the impetus in creating one. Have we ever had an "official" project?

That’s the point I keep trying to make every time I ask Caliban to produce this mysterious policy that only seems to exist in his Mind. There isn’t any concrete policy on this. The closest you will find is

· Section 2 -- Voting
1. All issues arising can be made subject to vote by any ImmInst leader.
Can be does not mean that it must be. Other than that, despite repeated attempts to get Caliban to show me this “ImmInst governance” policy, he has not.

Bill, I'm sorry you are still concerned. To clarify: the position that I outline first and foremost a matter of ImmInst governance. This requires that the board makes these decisisons, and in this case the board has not made a decision. That is why I wrote: until sanctioned by a board vote this initiative should not be misconstrued as an official ImmInst project.

This doesn’t clarify things. If it’s a matter of “ImmInst governance” than somewhere, reduced to writing is the policy or procedure that regulates this. Where is it? If this requires the board to make a decision, than point me to that policy or procedure. I’m looking for the mechanism that regulates this.

I don’t believe there is one, or I certainly cannot find it.

Now please note:
The Immortality has no official capacity to be the legal custodian of funds that are donated to support William Constitution O'Rights fight against cancer by supplying him with nutritional supplements.

BUT we cannot oversee an account for that purpose, handle donations for that purpose,

Caliban, you keep ducking the question. You have made the above claims, and yet they are unsupported. I have asked you “Where is the Immortality Institutes policy that speaks against this?”

Let me put this to you another way. Unless you can point …to a policy here, your claims are wholly baseless and without merit. You haven’t articulated anything to support your position, so I assume that this is really your personal policy.

Your claim is without foundation.

Now, I’m pretty sure Elrond that Caliban is aware of the Section 3 Dedicated Donations clause, or at least this was what he had to say back in July.

Caliban Quote

For example, we could establish a platform where ImmInst facilitates directed donations to a particular charitable cause.

But getting back to this issue at hand, why can’t Caliban answer my question directly and point us to the mystical policy or procedure bylaw ect ect, because it does not exist. Now, am I right about this, or do I owe Caliban an Apology?

#47 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

Thank You Elrond. I hit the link several times to read it, but I keep getting an error message.

I still keep getting an error message, is this a super secrete section where members can't go?

#48 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

I still keep getting an error message, is this a super secrete section where members can't go?

yes, its the director voting area. Completed votes (either passing or failing) are moved to the member area after closing unless there is a compelling reason not too.

#49 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:39 PM

yes, its the director voting area. Completed votes (either passing or failing) are moved to the member area after closing unless there is a compelling reason not too.

OK, thank you Elrond for answering my question. :-D

#50 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

Hey Bill

Let me try to be more precise:
You are looking for a policy that disallows a course of action. Thats is the wrong way round.
Nothing much can happen at ImmInst without a vote by the board. The treasure chests are the exception that proves the rule (an innovation that you yourself picked up on critically). Moderation actions or changes to the frontpage are another example, but even they get voted on if they are controversial.

There was no vote to authorise financial arangements on your behalf, so, yes, if you are keen, Mind and Shannon overstepped the mark.
Elrond has now initiated two votes on the matter. One has just passed, the other one is still ongoing.

#51 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

Let me try to be more precise:

That's exactly what I'm trying to get you to do. ;)

You are looking for a policy that disallows a course of action. Thats is the wrong way round.
Nothing much can happen at ImmInst without a vote by the board.

Caliban, if that’s what you’re relying on than fine. But if Nothing much can happen at ImmInst without a vote by the board, than someplace there is a section that says something to the effect that Nothing much can happen at ImmInst without a vote by the board. And it should be reduced to writing, and that’s what I want you to point out. Telling me that Nothing much can happen at ImmInst without a vote by the board is not a precise answer. A precise answer would go something like this, “you will find it in the Constitution under Section so and so Article number so and so.”

There was no vote to authorise financial arangements on your behalf, so, yes, if you are keen, Mind and Shannon overstepped the mark.

I don’t think anyone is going to make a big deal about that. I think everyone going to treat that as De minimums.

#52 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

OK, I just wanted to promote this thread once again and say thanks to all of those who have donated thus far. I think it would be nice to publicly recognize those who donate (here in this thread).

Also, per William's request, this fund will only be used for supplements to fight cancer.

William will list what supps he needs and Shannon will act as the administrator and make the purchases and have them shipped to William.

We have collected $600 so far. Super job everyone. Best of luck to William as well.

#53 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

Just reiterating that even though the word "cryonics" appears in the name of the fund, William would like these particular donations for his battle against cancer (supps and stuff).

#54 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

I want to thank you one and all for donating toward my cause. Your generosity will make an immediate difference in my life. I cannot thank you enough.
May you all Live Long and Well.
William C. O’Rights.

Attached Files

#55 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:11 AM

William will list what supps he needs and Shannon will act as the administrator and make the purchases and have them shipped to William.

Hi Shannon,
I am ready to place an order.

Let me walk you through this Shannon, so it won’t take up much of your time.
https://mycart.lef.o...Membership.aspx

Choose the one year membership option.
1 - YEAR MEMBERSHIP
This membership option will allow the purchases to be subject to the automatic discount of 25%. We will get the 75 dollars membership back on this single order that will follow.

First item order 4 bottles of Super Alpha-Lipoic Acid with Biotin.
http://www.lef.org/V...ith-Biotin.html

Member price is 24.00 each, times 4 = 96

Second item order 4 bottles of Enhanced Super Digestive Enzymes
http://www.lef.org/V...ve-Enzymes.html

Member price is $12.00 each, times 4 = 48

Third item order 4 bottles of N-Zimes Item Catalog Number: 00523
http://www.lef.org/V...23/N-Zimes.html

Member price is 16.50 each times 4 = 66

4th item order 4 bottles of Vitamin B3 Niacin, 1000 mg 100 capsules Item Catalog Number 00096.
http://www.lef.org/V...-B3-Niacin.html

Member price is $9.00 each times 4 = 36

5th item order one bottle Ultra Soy Extract Item Catalog Number: 00785
http://www.lef.org/V...oy-Extract.html
Member price is $236.25 each= $236.25

The total comes to 557.25 plus shipping.
Go with 2nd day air.

Thank You Shannon.

#56 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:57 AM

The total with 2 day air is $598.25.

The total before shipping is $582.72.

The pay-pal account balance is $590.86.

If you did the 1-5 day UPS Priority the amount would be $588.25.

You can only pay with a credit card through their checkout--I could contact them to see if they'll accept a paypal transfer.

Are you sure the bottle for 261.75? (the price for one Ultra Soy) is worth it? That money could buy a lot of other supplements--but I can't weigh in on the efficacy of one over another for your particular cancer situation.

#57 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:16 AM

Are you sure the bottle for 261.75? (the price for one Ultra Soy) is worth it? That money could buy a lot of other supplements--but I can't weigh in on the efficacy of one over another for your particular cancer situation.

I put down the price for a 4 bottle purchase ($236.25 each) when it should have been 261.75. Roll with this order and 1-5 day UPS Priority for $588.25

And yes Shannon, I'm sure it is worth it. Let me worry about the efficacy of the program, and I'll let you worry about my poor ordering skills :)

Thank You again Shannon for taking care of this order.
Live Long and Well.

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 10 October 2008 - 04:19 AM.

#58 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:33 AM

Ok, I'll contact them to see if they have a paypal pymt. option :)

All the best! Do take care! -- Shannon

#59 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

Ok, I'll contact them to see if they have a paypal pymt. option :)

All the best! Do take care! -- Shannon

That's not a payment option that I am aware of, but it's been a few years since I've been a member.

#60 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Transfer of PM's, reprinted by permission.

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 10 October 2008 - 05:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users