Photo
- - - - -

Why don't we just ban viral marketers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:20 AM

Why are the mods here just simply removing the URLs from viral marketing posts? Isn't more efficient to ban the member permanently?

If a poster has like 4 posts and they've so far all been marketing posts how likely is it that the 5th will be one as well?

Really, let's get tough with these bastards. After all, if they think that they can just steal advertising how do we convince them to pay for it? It also sends a bad image to our sponsors who are honest and are paying for their ads if we can't deal effectively with these swine.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:43 AM

where? We don't have any viral marketers here Ben

#3 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:50 AM

I do...

#4 Ben

• Topic Starter
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

where? We don't have any viral marketers here Ben

http://www.imminst.o...p?showuser=7802

Can't find the link to the other guy.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

We do generally ban the viral types after a couple of warnings. The example you provided is someone to watch out for, but he hasn't posted yet.

Sometimes it is hard tell whether someone is being viral of just spouting off about certain supplements or suppliers.

Thanks for keeping an eye out!

#6 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

http://www.imminst.o...p?showuser=7802

Yes, he has been a spammer so far. I have not banned him, because there are different types of spammers and I treat them differently:

For example the slogan of the website he promotes is:

"Want Your Youth Back...? - Learn how the human body ages & how to stop it...! "

No matter if this product line works or not..., it helps the longevity meme to form a wish towards longevity. So I consider this spammer not a "forum intruder", who has to be banned. Of course I have deleted his spam post, but on the other hand I wish him luck economically with his multilevel marketing concept somehow.

I asked him to stop spamming. And I asked him if he wants to buy a banner.

He declined the latter and, well, he was unhappy about me calling his posts "spam". I hope he'll read a little bit in our forums and in the big variety of our topics and becomes part of the movement, for he is part of the meme already, though he probably doesn't know that.

Edited by Matthias, 14 September 2008 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users